• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teaching New Players

DayLaMike

Smash Rookie
The thing is males and females are inherently different. We excel in different areas. I don't know where society got this politically correct idea that we are the same but that's false. With that said I feel that women aren't around in the competitive scene as much do to those differences. Men by nature are very competitive. Me personally I love competition and I love meeting people that can give me a run for my money. Finding obstacles to overcome gives me drive. Women don't have that same quality about them (which is fine). However there are exceptions to every rule and while most female smashers I know play strictly at a casual level I knew one who could at least stand her ground against and beat me frequently. Women can do just as much as we can that is if they are interested. If they aren't interested they won't pursue bettering themselves.

Should you find a women who is interested in actually getting better I think teaching a girl how to play is the wrong mentality. Just like with men we all have a different learning curve, so do women. You'd be better off watching how she plays and what ways she best learns the game.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
I disagree.

But regardless, this thread is in poor taste execution wise. Even if the intent is kinda pure lol.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2
"Girls like me more because I understand them and I give them the respect that they need! Why dont I have a girlfriend?"

TreK

Is "that guy"
The thing is males and females are inherently different. We excel in different areas. I don't know where society got this politically correct idea that we are the same but that's false. With that said I feel that women aren't around in the competitive scene as much do to those differences. Men by nature are very competitive. Me personally I love competition and I love meeting people that can give me a run for my money. Finding obstacles to overcome gives me drive. Women don't have that same quality about them (which is fine). However there are exceptions to every rule and while most female smashers I know play strictly at a casual level I knew one who could at least stand her ground against and beat me frequently. Women can do just as much as we can that is if they are interested. If they aren't interested they won't pursue bettering themselves.

Should you find a women who is interested in actually getting better I think teaching a girl how to play is the wrong mentality. Just like with men we all have a different learning curve, so do women. You'd be better off watching how she plays and what ways she best learns the game.
blah blah blah, males have been trained to compete for a prey or a mate, while females have been trained to choose the best mate among an array of competitors and not compete as much themselves.

Darwin does not excuse poor manners. He merely explains them.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"Girls like me more because I understand them and I give them the respect that they need! Why dont I have a girlfriend?"
quick question: how many fedoras do you own, when put into a ratio of how oppressed you think men are

EscalatorBoy

Smash Rookie
I suggest that the assertion that men and women are inherently different in regards to their strengths as gamers needs to stop. Whether or not there's any science in the matter (which I'm pretty sure already contradicts some of the attitudes expressed in this thread) is also irrelevant to how we should be approaching this issue. So treat others how you want to be treated.

Don't sandbag or patronize. Be enthusiastic and optimistic. Be patient. Have fun.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

Most of the "inherent differences" between men and women are created by society, so essentially what you're saying is "we've always been sexist so it's okay to continue to be sexist".

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
if you ever use evolutionary psychology as anything even remotely similar in truth to proper science, I will take a boot and shove it so hard up your ass I'd be able to hypothesize that nature wanted that boot in there, and at least one evopsych journal would believe me

DayLaMike

Smash Rookie
Most of the "inherent differences" between men and women are created by society, so essentially what you're saying is "we've always been sexist so it's okay to continue to be sexist".
No I'm explaining why there is a lack of female presence in competitive smash or gaming in general. I'm failing to understand how being different from each other and recognizing those differences is sexist. But then again everything gender relates is sexist now a days.

Papa+Stone

quick question: how many fedoras do you own, when put into a ratio of how oppressed you think men are
HA of course you people would care about your silly fedoras and the oppression of men. If any of you had an ounce of my worldliness you would see that it is women, not men, that are the true victims. You all complain about the government and authority all willy nilly, but let me ask you- have you ever considered that women have it much worse than we do? I personally identify much more with the female race than I ever had with any man. I will treat them just as good if not better than a man would deserve, which if i had it my way would be very little. And yet with the few ambassadors of good in this world such as i, everyday when i walk by the target i see many women trapped in relationships with abusive men, forced to live in a fake world glazed over with emotions of regret and sadness that are all too real. I trade glances with them and i can see deep in their eyes that they would rather own a sensitive man that understands them such as the bronies in the girls toys aisle, but are instead expected to live with mean, smelly men who beat them and force them to have rough wild sex. I find it absolutely disgusting that a woman cannot get a job these days either without sleeping around. And you that look over this situation with glazed eyes, i know that this community is a culprit itself, what have we done for the poor females who decide to play? We call them **** and **** them in our video games and when they are deflowered we proceed to take money from them with money matches, you criminals. Nect time you decide to vote republican i ask you to consider the women, the real victims for a change, and give a vote to good ole obama, who has timelessly said again and again that he is a servant of women and will do what he must for equal rights. I just hope you all can understand that the economy does not matter and are willing to help your fellow females at home.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty disappointed in the way everyone seems to be treating the OP. It's like in office space, where you slightly screw one little aspect up then you have 8 different bosses to hear from about it. I believe we as a whole could dedicate our time actually discussing the fundamental idea the thread proposes instead of arbitrarily roasting a dude whose intent was not malicious in the slightest. but hey that's just me. whatever.

Anyway, on topic. girls are quite enigmatic. I have no idea where to start with them and smash. I wish I had more to add but I'm seriously at a loss for where to start. because I want to say thatmen should treat girls the same as a make opponent. but at the same time, men and women are completely different beasts. generally speaking of course. there's no one sweeping "strategy" to use to get the normal average girl interested in smash. it's got to be done case by case. I mean, you wouldn't fight a falco the same way you fight a puff right? so there's my two cents about pretty much nothing.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
[PFFFFFFFT]
oh lord, it's the worst kind of "nice guy" misogynist

1) that was my tone of mockery, as in "the kind of person who obsesses like you do probably has to start every statement to a woman with 'mlady'"

2) women don't want your condescending faux-kindness, they want you to treat them like human god damn beings good lord

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
No I'm explaining why there is a lack of female presence in competitive smash or gaming in general. I'm failing to understand how being different from each other and recognizing those differences is sexist. But then again everything gender relates is sexist now a days.

Um, no, you're explaining it using false "facts" derived from a sexist culture. I recognize the differences between men and women just fine and it's true, we aren't the same. But the differences that you are claiming simply aren't inherently true.

EscalatorBoy

Smash Rookie
No.

The issue is that differences are often observed when no differences actually exist. We are apt to notice gender differences because of our biases, not necessarily because there's a real thing going on.

Put yourself in a woman's shoes: it sure would feel condescending to be judged on my inherent gaming skill based solely on my gender.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm pretty disappointed in the way everyone seems to be treating the OP. It's like in office space, where you slightly screw one little aspect up then you have 8 different bosses to hear from about it. I believe we as a whole could dedicate our time actually discussing the fundamental idea the thread proposes instead of arbitrarily roasting a dude whose intent was not malicious in the slightest. but hey that's just me. whatever.
Let me make the sexism easier to spot. Notice that I just change a couple of words:

Now, I know the first thing you're all going to say is that black dudes just aren't good at Smash. Blacks have been severely underrepresented in competitive play throughout Smash Bros.' competitive history. Whether it be because they're naturally less competitive creatures or have less sensitive reaction time or less developed hand-eye coordination, black dudes have just never really risen anywhere near the top.

However, I'm not really here to talk about the reasons why nor do I want to make an attempt at bringing more black dudes to the competitive scene. We all know that the two genders have their differences to be embraced, but I want to know if any of you have tried teaching a black dudes how to play Smash and if so, how did it go over? I imagine for most, they probably gave up early on. But for the brave who fought further, how did that come along and what do you think helped? What do you think hurt? Did you teach them differently than you teach white guys? Does it make a difference? What character did you recommend they start with? What character did they stick with? What character would you recommend for beginners in order to best teach the game's fundamentals? Would that character be different for a beginner that is a black dude?

If someone posted that you'd say they were SUPER RACIST. Yet if they post that about girls, somehow it's not that bad?

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
This thread should be locked, then thrown off a bridge.
God forbid that a girl finds this, OP would likely kill any chance of further community involvement.

Papa+Stone

Let me make the sexism easier to spot. Notice that I just change a couple of words:

Now, I know the first thing you're all going to say is that black dudes just aren't good at Smash. Blacks have been severely underrepresented in competitive play throughout Smash Bros.' competitive history. Whether it be because they're naturally less competitive creatures or have less sensitive reaction time or less developed hand-eye coordination, black dudes have just never really risen anywhere near the top.

However, I'm not really here to talk about the reasons why nor do I want to make an attempt at bringing more black dudes to the competitive scene. We all know that the two genders have their differences to be embraced, but I want to know if any of you have tried teaching a black dudes how to play Smash and if so, how did it go over? I imagine for most, they probably gave up early on. But for the brave who fought further, how did that come along and what do you think helped? What do you think hurt? Did you teach them differently than you teach white guys? Does it make a difference? What character did you recommend they start with? What character did they stick with? What character would you recommend for beginners in order to best teach the game's fundamentals? Would that character be different for a beginner that is a black dude?

If someone posted that you'd say they were SUPER RACIST. Yet if they post that about girls, somehow it's not that bad?
that doesnt make sense because its wrong. Unlike women, blacks are mean, offensive, brutish and competetive, which makes your post irrelevant. I take it youve never met a black person?

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
that doesnt make sense because its wrong. Unlike women, blacks are mean, offensive, brutish and competetive, which makes your post irrelevant. I take it youve never met a black person?
Please tell me this is sarcasm. Please? :(

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps I was naïve to have not considered this reaction. I was just being open minded to differences in learning styles because I've never really taught anyone before and don't have any idea where to start. I'm sorry that people have gotten the wrong impression of me here but perhaps that's my own fault and I'm not going waste any of our times trying to change that. I'm over it, let's get this useless thread locked so it can drift to the bottom with the rest of the garbage.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps I was naïve to have not considered this reaction. I was just being open minded to differences in learning styles because I've never really taught anyone before and don't have any idea where to start. I'm sorry that people have gotten the wrong impression of me here but perhaps that's my own fault and I'm not going waste any of our times trying to change that. I'm over it, let's get this useless thread locked so it can drift to the bottom with the rest of the garbage.
The problem here is that you're assuming that there's a different learning style. There's no inherent difference in how men and women learn this game.

Fortress

Smash Master
All of those jimmies.

All of that rustling.

THIS SUMMER. GET MAD. IN A FEATURE FILM STARRING SMASH BOARDS, OP, JOHN MALKOVICH, AND STRONG BAD. CHOREOGRAPHED BY SAKURAI, AND WITH MUSIC BY JOHN MAYER.

THAT ONE THREAD BY /APPLES.

Coming to a theater near you.

Fortress

Smash Master
This entire thread is an accurate representation of Almost Politically Correct Redneck.

I'm from Mississippi, and have lived in Montana since I was three, if that helps.

But I haven't been on topic in the three posts I've posted here, counting this one.

Don't tell anybody.

TreK

Is "that guy"
This entire thread is an accurate representation of Almost Politically Correct Redneck.

So, having posted here, that means I'm more redneck than you, while still being a French monsieur.
How does that work exactly ?

Fortress

Smash Master
Do you desire some chainsaw with your foie gras ?
Erm, no. I'll pass. Just a silly American who doesn't remember much of his French here. Je suis desole. J'aim ne parlez pas Francais. J'ai oublie.

It's the best I could do. MOVE ALONG.

Papa+Stone

Way to ruin this thread guys, you killed any chance of having a reasonable discussion

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
If I ever make it to 85, I'm going to look back on my life and be really happy that I read this thread.

Fortress

Smash Master
If I ever make it to 85, I'm going to look back on my life and be really happy that I read this thread.
Just borrow stocks until you do.

>learntolifehack.gif

On a related note, the original post was a work of art. Thank you, /Apples.

Top Bottom