• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^Amsah won ESA2, and it was Amsah vs CJ in the finals. ESA2 was the last time CJ and amsah played each other (i think). (Im pretty **** sure it was the last time they played each other in tourny anyway)
(ESA2 was the last HUGE major tournie in europe btw)

Opal

Smash Rookie
i got some questions for Taj if he is willing to respond

1. When i use/spam my d-tilt i put a forward tilt into it at the end of it, after that should i tech chase or play it safe?. and also, what other moves can combo out of d-tilt, i sometimes grab and Fair but im curious of what else i can do

2. Mewtwos Side b and down b are both like my fav moves, but ive been told never to use them. In my opinion i think every move has its use, big or small, and i just want to know if you know of an effective way to use em.

Thanks in advance, if i have nemore questions ill ask =D

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
1.) Depending on percentage and the character's floatiness, you can DJC up air as well following a down tilt and follow that up to another down tilt or grab.

2.) Confusion is to be used sparingly because they can bait it and get a back air trade on you which is always in their favor unless they're someone with a weak back air like Yoshi or Roy. The best uses I've found are for awkward up throw combos on fast fallers where they can't really be followed up with anything particularly strong, but you can jump and confusion them to pull them back down and possibly get them to use their double jump poorly or start a tech chase since most don't know how to really respond to confusion. I also like using it at about down tilt range to surprise people holding their shields, and catching people as they attempt to SHFFL.

Disable is also to be used sparingly, but like confusion it is a move that can be more effective based solely on who you're playing. If you time disable in between someone's aerials correctly, you throw off their timing and force them to fall to the ground, or they'll auto tech from trying to l cancel and you can punish them for that. Disable out of shield on certain moves is also effective. Stopping tilt spam, and even just throwing it at dash dancers as they dash back into it are all viable options, but it's really risky. You usually find the opportunities to throw it out when you have a general idea of what someone is going to do. I believe my match against Forward on FD that was recorded showed many of the best opportunities to land and throw disable on Falco.

Since I've been away from Melee and playing off and on, I've been finding more ways to land confusion and if I ever decide to come back I'll be sure to make some more vids showing a few things I've left out of my last two combo vids. :)

Opal

Smash Rookie
Thanks, it helped a lot! lol, ive decided to main mewtwo as dumb as it sounds, cause i like beating people with bad chars :p

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to play Mewtwo for a while and I've found it quite rewarding, he really is terrifying once you can get him going.

What is my best option after grabbing fox at low %? (to anyone that will respond) I usually try to land a downtilt or confusion.

Also is Disable killing (pulling someone through the stage) legal in tournies? I've been practicing and I can do it on Yoshi's Isle and Kirby 64.

Opal

Smash Rookie
Another question, what would i do to a peach who continuously floats, which move of mine would be the best choice, should i like wavedash back and use confusion or disable? or just go in to something like a neutral air?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Omni_Smash- Up throw to forward air is standard, down tilts will follow, Up throw to confusion creates interesting set ups on fast fallers at awkward percentages to combo. Oh, and confusion is legal on any stage since it isn't an actual guaranteed KO, even on Battlefield.

Opal- You could throw shadow balls to help bring Peach down, you can also intercept with neutral air if you're in the right position, usually under her. If she floats high enough you can up tilt, if she floats low enough you can try to bait attacks and get grabs.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
...wait...what? I thought the only stages you could pull people through were Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium? Other stages seem to just put them on the edge.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
So, Taj, I was wondering if there are any reliable ways to combo into fully charged shadowballs? I've been messing around with it in training mode a bit, and d-air -> shadowball works on Falcon with no DI at around 110% (I haven't tested it with DI yet), and it worked as well on a few other characters (although I don't remember the specific percentages at the moment), but I was wondering if you knew of any more practical methods of comboing into those beautiful oscillating spheres of carnage?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Taj when you were learning mewtwo were you trying to learn other characters at the same time because im takin a mewtwo break to learn a secondary character (ganon). And im hoping it wont affect my mew2 skillz

Hpnotiq

Smash Cadet
Taj when you were learning mewtwo were you trying to learn other characters at the same time because im takin a mewtwo break to learn a secondary character (ganon). And im hoping it wont affect my mew2 skillz
when i was learnin with mewtwo, a took a break and played with fox and marth, it actually made my mewtwo better, playing with fox makes u think faster and makes u move ur fingers faster, try to take a break, mewtwo is not a simple character, fox helped me alot

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
So, Taj, I was wondering if there are any reliable ways to combo into fully charged shadowballs? I've been messing around with it in training mode a bit, and d-air -> shadowball works on Falcon with no DI at around 110% (I haven't tested it with DI yet), and it worked as well on a few other characters (although I don't remember the specific percentages at the moment), but I was wondering if you knew of any more practical methods of comboing into those beautiful oscillating spheres of carnage?
Most of the time my Shadow ball ""combos" come from tech chases or up airs. Unfortunately I can't think of anything in particular that is guaranteed other than down airs and MAYBE forward airs on fast fallers.

Though I know that against floaties, up air > shadow ball when they think they have a jump is ****, and against fast fallers at slightly higher percentages and a certain DI it may actually combo.

T. Webb: I just picked up Mewtwo as I played the game. I didn't play Mewtwo with the sole intention of just being "good" with him. If you ask anyone that plays with me frequently, they would tell you that I have a versatile selection of characters that I can play. If anything, playing more characters helps you understand the timing you need to punish certain things, an awareness of all options that character may have against you.

Just because Mewtwo is one of the strangest characters to use, doesn't mean you don't benefit from playing multiple characters. The only thing it might hurt would be your wavedash timing, but that is easily correctable with practice from characters like Falco/Ganon and most of the time it just takes one wavedash to get the timing back.

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this was answered yet.

I am not only the only Mewtwo in province, but the only competitive player in my city. What should I be doing to practice?

What are good strats for Jiggly, Peach, and Cap?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if this was answered yet.

I am not only the only Mewtwo in province, but the only competitive player in my city. What should I be doing to practice?

What are good strats for Jiggly, Peach, and Cap?
Check the character discussion because i believe all those character were discussed is detail. But for a REAL quick overview

Captain F.- Fastfall Combos
Jiggs- its all about the spacing of f-tilts
Peach-baby shdowball away to find quick openings

But yea go to the character discussion it helps a lot. its helped me with jiggs ALOT

PK Webb

Smash Champion
when baby shadowballing is it better to shorthop forward and throw them or stand still and throw them

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
It's better to hop forward with it if you want to follow it up from a longer distance. You usually stand still if you're not sure when to approach.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
taj, do you consider yourself to have "created" mewtwo? Or do you think it's someone like mow or mookierah

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I don't know how to answer that question. I was not inspired by Mookie or Mow if that is what you're asking. I always thought my Mewtwo was better and my mentality was different than both of them from the moment I saw them play. I suppose I created a style, but I still haven't seen anyone replicate it.

The things I do usually aren't THAT innovative, I'm sure you'll hear Mow say "I've been doing that for years" or that isn't anything new, but I am undeniably the most successful Mewtwo and the way I utilize my move sets are the most efficient that I've seen.

I've watched Quak and Vectorman play Mewtwo and they each have their own style and tendencies that define them. When I watch Vectorman I see him trying to emulate my style a little bit, but the decisions, speed, and execution aren't the same. Quak's Mewtwo is probably loosely influenced by me, but he has his own style and prefers to combo and link differently probably just from doing his own thing for so long.

People say I've inspired them to play Mewtwo, but no one really gets down like I do when it comes to Mewtwo's metagame yet. Wobbles plays a decent Mewtwo but he either doesn't have the same experience I do in getting through annoying walls that people throw up or he doesn't have the inherent talent to react and read people the same way that I do.

forward

Smash Champion
Taj, layin' down the law.

One thing that seperates him is his experience. I'm sure Taj has played well over double the amount of M2 matches everyone else has played. Gives him more experience against different playstyles and different character match ups.

Whether he is the "godfather" of m2 is irrelevant. He is the most efficient.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
taj, do you consider yourself to have "created" mewtwo? Or do you think it's someone like mow or mookierah
I don't know how to answer that question. I was not inspired by Mookie or Mow if that is what you're asking. I always thought my Mewtwo was better and my mentality was different than both of them from the moment I saw them play. I suppose I created a style, but I still haven't seen anyone replicate it.

The things I do usually aren't THAT innovative, I'm sure you'll hear Mow say "I've been doing that for years" or that isn't anything new, but I am undeniably the most successful Mewtwo and the way I utilize my move sets are the most efficient that I've seen.

I've watched Quak and Vectorman play Mewtwo and they each have their own style and tendencies that define them. When I watch Vectorman I see him trying to emulate my style a little bit, but the decisions, speed, and execution aren't the same. Quak's Mewtwo is probably loosely influenced by me, but he has his own style and prefers to combo and link differently probably just from doing his own thing for so long.

People say I've inspired them to play Mewtwo, but no one really gets down like I do when it comes to Mewtwo's metagame yet. Wobbles plays a decent Mewtwo but he either doesn't have the same experience I do in getting through annoying walls that people throw up or he doesn't have the inherent talent to react and read people the same way that I do.
Exactly. I may not yet be up to the same level as any of you yet, but I can say that for characters like Mewtwo individual styles do indeed exist.

Taj: He really couldn't have put it better himself. He has got to have the smoothest and most effectivly played Mewtwo I've seen. Every movment with his Mewtwo has a purpose. Sure, M2K beat him, but EVERYONE looses to M2K at some point right?

Quak: His style is far more wavedash/combo oriented than Taj's. He seems to play Mewtwo more like a Marth maybe, or Fox if he had a long WD...

Vectorman: He does seem to be influenced by Taj, but as Taj put it the combo timing and decisions that he makes make his Mewtwo different and entertaining.

Iroi: I haven't seen full matches of his Mewtwo, so I can't tell. Combo vids aren't good for judging what someone's true skill is. (Taj is the exception...lol)

I've only seen one or two vids of Mow's and have heard he's a retired Mewtwo anyways. I'm not sure about Mookierah: I've just heard he's good.

If I perservere, I'll catch up.

EDIT: Wobbles plays Mewtwo? He's got some nasty IC stuff on youtube...

Taj, layin' down the law.

One thing that seperates him is his experience. I'm sure Taj has played well over double the amount of M2 matches everyone else has played. Gives him more experience against different playstyles and different character match ups.

Whether he is the "godfather" of m2 is irrelevant. He is the most efficient.
*GASPS* it's Forward!

J.TwisT

Smash Apprentice
Heh, everything you stated was well put taj.

I don't know, or really care about any of the m2's out there.

With one exception.

V3ctorman: He really mimic's a lot of the way you play. He learned by watching your mewtwo..
He doesn't have the mindgames or the reactions you do in the matches. He does it almost... Automatically. I guess i'll have to talk to him about being unique when he comes back. But no matter how much **** he talks, most of what he knows about mewtwo is from you. (With the exception of fighting Pikachu).

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea. I actually developed my style after gettin comfortable with m2 as a casual cuz he was ****ing tight lol and I didnt kno he was ****ty. I was just getttin into competitive smash ans someone was like u ever heard of taj. I was like the dude from smart guy lol.

but yea I guess it kinda depends on why u played m2. I just thought he was badass and have only seen 3 m2 matches lol. so I definately think that there is room for some originality in m2 playstyles

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I've always liked Mewtwo, and I've played him on and off. I'm beginning to pick him up more seriously now though. I still think there's a lot of him unexplored, although Taj has definitely uncovered the most.

Also, Taj, how the hell do I get past Ganon's Forward Air with Mewtwo? SO HARD!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I've always liked Mewtwo, and I've played him on and off. I'm beginning to pick him up more seriously now though. I still think there's a lot of him unexplored, although Taj has definitely uncovered the most.

Also, Taj, how the hell do I get past Ganon's Forward Air with Mewtwo? SO HARD!
Haha im not taj lol but I like to use baby shadowballs on ganon since hes so ****in big and then go in for a grab. also diable isnt a bad option on larger characters. but A good method is to dash dance in and out of the fair range and WD in for grabs

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Well it's a lot tougher than you make it seem. That Forward Air is huge so if you try to dash dance or WD away, a lot of the times all he has to do is aim it behind you and it will hit you. Not to mention, half the time when I do escape it and I'm coming back in for the grab, I get jabbed. It just seems unreliable and way too hard/risky.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Okay, i'll try to give some advice here...

*coughs* have you tried teleporting out of the reach of the F-Air? Take the big ***hole's back with it and try and go for a WD/D-tilt or a DJC move or something safe like a baby shadowball.

Getting jabbed might mean you're being blindly agressive. Ganondorf has a really good defensive game against the low teirs, and even a lot of the high teirs

Top Bottom