• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3

I like where this is going.

I think Xandercosm Xandercosm is right about Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 over praising Samus a bit, but then again he seems to ignore all the counter arguments...

Brah go to Melee and then come back to talk here about fixing characters.

Anyways I suggest everyone to stop with the Samus and flaming stuff for now.
To be fair, I don't think Samus is without her faults. She still has trouble getting people off of her safely, and though she is heavy and floaty which gives her great survivability, she gets combo'd a fair bit. It's just that people ignore all of Samus's good qualities.

But you are right Routa Routa . Xandercosm Xandercosm , lets leave it at that, you've said your piece, and I have said mine. I respect your opinion, so you respect mine.

Now, moving forward, just under 30 minutes until the direct!

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
ike, shulk hybrid:/ well ill take it, his moveset looks mad fun, just wondering what that "limit break" thing was about, is it something like shulks monados ? because im asuming the "aether" is gonna be the final smash. and i hope we get some awesome stuff in december :)

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I, honestly, can't understand why you defend Samus so much, Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 . She, in my opinion, is even worse than Zelda. At least Zelda has a decent recovery that can kill at early percents. Samus has nothing useful. She has a useless, weak, easy to dodge charge-shot that usually ends up hurting her more than her opponent. She has incredibly few favorable matchups. Like, none. Half her specials are garbage that should never be used. She has an awful disadvantage state, which is made worse buy having probably the single most linear recovery in the game. And then there's the fact that half the time her attacks go right through opponents for no reason. Should I continue?
When people talk about Samus being bad they just cite bad moves. Samus has some pretty bad moves.

BUT

There is a messed up rationale that bad moves = bad character, because the reverse, having two-three really good moves CAN = good character, because of that move being able to neutralize characters entirely. The reverse of this is never true. One bad move, four bad moves, doesn't make a character bad and it's really just a matter of the person arguing being lazy. There are almost always ways for a character to compensate/get around bad moves, while on the other hand, it is not always possible for a player to get around the opponent's really good moves. I say this in regards to every character: the argument that bad moves = bad character needs to stop. It's really shallow.

And I'll just get this out of the way, stop pretending like you know more about Samus than everyone here, including dedicated Samus mains. If I pretend like I know a lot about Samus, it's because I actually do know a lot about Samus as any dedicated player would with respect to their main.

-----

Other stuff--I've typed stuff like this millions of times and it is getting tiresome, it is mostly for Xandercosm.

Unlike WFT, Mewtwo, Lucario, Samus does NOT use CS in the neutral because unlike those characters she isn't (practically) forced to. Samus' number and effectiveness of moves that set up tech chases is unmatched, and it can be very challenging to avoid the CS follow up (no, you can't air dodge, I can't believe you said that lol).

Samus is not a projectile character. I shoot missiles maybe once every five matches, I don't like them (see paragraph one). She doesn't resemble a projectile character. If you play her like one you'll get screwed and you deserve to get screwed. Samus is a mid ranger, tech chaser, comboer, and at 50%+ her close range game is totally fine with her frame 3 jab that sets up a lot of stuff and is safe at the percent where she gets you in ONE combo.

There is nothing wrong with Samus' recovery. This is just generally agreed on, and it isn't even that linear compared to many. Her recovery is middle of the road. I honestly thought everyone knew this, her recovery has been considered pretty good in every Smash game.

She has plenty of advantaged MUs, like ten, and I am not going to list them all because you can go read one of the many threads about this and quit looking so uneducated on a character you pretend to have a right to hold an opinion on. :)

She has better results than any other low tier. She can get you to kill percents off of three hit confirms, her ability to kill is good, her edge guarding is top notch, her zoning game is great.

So why is she non viable? She's large, has weird bad floatiness, and can't land. Her disadvantage is bad, which is what makes most characters non viable.

Should I continue?
Sure. Go ahead. But when you say that it makes it sound like you made good points, or, "Damn, I wrecked them'" when in reality you are just making yourself look like a fool that can't think up very good arguments. A suggestion--playing the character more than ten times, fifteen times might help you develop an opinion that actually matters. But even then, don't be upset when the opinions of people who have played the character many months longer are taken more seriously.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Ok so, since we are going to get a ton of character reveals in december and we got f*****g Cloud, I vote we start over! Tier 7 Guys!!!

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
Ok so, since we are going to get a ton of character reveals in december and we got f*****g Cloud, I vote we start over! Tier 7 Guys!!!
I expect more of a, "place this character within the already made list".
Unless it comes with drastic changes to characters, then I guess we have to change things around. But I wouldn't be surprised if it went with per tier again.

Last edited:

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
I expect more of a, "place this character within the already made list".
Unless it comes with drastic changes to characters, then I guess we have to change things around. But I wouldn't be surprised if it went with per tier again.
I would imagine that would be the first thing to do. But considering that we would need to worry about the specifically placing the new characters in the tiers, along with more patches releasing, it would be more efficient to start voting from tier 7 again. However I doubt we'd get the ballot characters in December as that's too little time for them to be developed, unless they were started in the summer, so Cloud is probably the only one to worry of for at least this year.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Honestly, I just feel really "meh" about Cloud. It's really odd, because any new content is great, but this just doesn't make me hype.

Like, he's the 5th third party character. By now, that doesn't feel special any more. As I know many people have mentioned, it's another sword character, but to be honest that doesn't bother me. Cloud just feels really out of place to me. I don't really know him, but that shouldn't be a problem. Ryu was new to me, but he fits, he is great. And it's not even that it's a character that I am not supporting as to why I feel "meh". Though I do want K.Rool, even characters like Wolf, Snake, Inkling, Banjo, Shovel Knight etc still make me excited. Cloud just doesn't. It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to a new patch or something coming out really soon too. Ahh well, roll on December I say.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
tbh i think that even if we get cloud this year, we should finish this tier list without including him, and ignoring the probable patch, seeing how close we are to finishing it. then if browny takes a break from this, we will have time to figure out how cloud, and the pretty much guaranteed patch to go along with him, will affect the meta, whether cloud becomes a counter to a prominent threat, whether theres no effect at all, or whether he even becomes best in the game(ill be honest, from the trailer, that dsmash looked amazing, it looked really fast and really strong and his bair looked like ikes(aka really good too))we will have to see how his moveset plays out in the end though and ending this tier list now(with patch 1.1.2(i think thats the current one?)) and then starting a new one, either straight away or taking a break, would give us time to see how the meta develops from there. this is especially true if even more characters drop along with cloud.(i wouldnt put it past them, just look at the lucas release *hint hint* nintendo *hint hint* ;) )

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
AND WERE DONE :)

Marth, MK and Zelda all get a ride into the next tier with clear votes up.

Until next time...

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
sword in last...*cries himself to sleep*
also, if countervotes were ignored, why didnt jiggs move? as far as i can see, she got the same amount of votes to go down as marth got, and all + jiggs were countervotes?

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Browny Browny , I know you just announced the break, but how long do you think this break will be? I imagine the earliest that it could start up again would be when the next DLC drops?

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
I think Marth being a whole tier above Lucina is a bit ridiculous. Some placements are odd, but overall the tiers themselves are fine.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Wait... gunner that low? Whaaaaaaaaat.

Unless this refers to a different tourney ruleset than here, that's daft.

Mind you, the typical rules near here are "Any size/weight and specials, but only one character set allowed"

Because 0/0 nades/missles/uppercut/bomb is a terrifyngly good character in neutral.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Browny Browny , I know you just announced the break, but how long do you think this break will be? I imagine the earliest that it could start up again would be when the next DLC drops?
I think we should wait a couple months until after the new characters release to let the meta sink in a little.
Maybe February, or at least January. Besides, I'm sure Browny wants a break from counting votes for a little while.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
Wait... gunner that low? Whaaaaaaaaat.

Unless this refers to a different tourney ruleset than here, that's daft.

Mind you, the typical rules near here are "Any size/weight and specials, but only one character set allowed"

Because 0/0 nades/missles/uppercut/bomb is a terrifyngly good character in neutral.
no, this is assuming 1111 medium size because a lot of major american(the majority/ all except for 1(mlg)) tournaments limit mii size and specials(dont ask me why, theres aparently some logic to it, i just think its stupid but meh, im in europe, not my problem ;) )

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
My six biggest critiques:
:rosalina: and :4pikachu: should be switched.
:4pacman: should be higher in 3.
:4marth: should be slightly higher in 4.
:4gaw: should be in 4.
:4samus: should be top of 6 or bottom of 5.
:4miisword: is the best default Mii, (s)he should be high 6.

Also, is there any chance for the next version of this list to consider custom moves? I just want to know what other people think about them, because I have an opinion, but it's likely misguided.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
no, this is assuming 1111 medium size because a lot of major american(the majority/ all except for 1(mlg)) tournaments limit mii size and specials(dont ask me why, theres aparently some logic to it, i just think its stupid but meh, im in europe, not my problem ;) )
Europe boyssssss.

God I hope the mii rules get changed.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
My six biggest critiques:
:rosalina: and :4pikachu: should be switched.
:4pacman: should be higher in 3.
:4marth: should be slightly higher in 4.
:4gaw: should be in 4.
:4samus: should be top of 6 or bottom of 5.
:4miisword: is the best default Mii, (s)he should be high 6.

Also, is there any chance for the next version of this list to consider custom moves? I just want to know what other people think about them, because I have an opinion, but it's likely misguided.
You make some very good points in this, and they mostly agree with my opinions. I want to show my stance on these.

- I could put Pika and ZSS in any order, but I think they both trump Rosalina, as they both have pretty good ways to deal with Luma. But I do think Rosalina has a slightly better matchup against ZSS than Pika, so who knows.

- Pac-Man is a very good character, especially when played correctly, very underrated.

- I don't think Marth needs to be any higher, maybe a space or two at max. Conversely, I think Lucina needs to be at least 1st or 2nd in tier 5. She needs to be much closer to Marth.

- I used to think G&W was trash. Upon closer inspection and learning him, I found out what his strengths are. IMO, he would fit in somewhere between Marth and Roy.

- You are exactly right about Samus's placement, though I am leaning towards more bottom of 5.

- The Mii Sword placement is an outrage. Certainly not the worst character in the game, and is the best default Mii. At least near the top of tier 6.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
My lord how on earth did :4marth: become an ENTIRE tier higher than :4lucina: AGAIN ??? Oh well, I'm tired of trying to convince people on the subject.

At least :4link:and :4zelda: ended up in better places than the start so I can be satisfied with that.

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
Probably because his attacks deal more damage, if I had to guess. :p
This is semi-wrong. Marth has tippers. Lucina doesn't. But they are still even because it's a trade-off. Marth can do more damage and kill faster with his tippers if he lands them. This makes him more of a spacing character. Lucina does more damage overall. So she's more of an rush-down character. Really they're very similar but have minor differences that change the characters whole playstyle. Also, I think they're even but if I had to choose I think Lucina's better because she's an easier and safer character to use imo. You don't need to do tippers in order to do good damage and Marth players have to do a tipper if they want to do their best damage and kill faster so they have to try harder than Lucina.

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
about lucina, i think theres also a lot of wrong information about her floating around, i cant count ive heard people say"marth is better, tipper fsmash can kill at 40 whilst lucinas can only kill at around ~120"(insert any stupidly high number here) honestly, lucina has some crazy power behind her moves, i think in the end it kinda boils down to people thinking "lucina is just a bad marth"(which is true to an extent) so theres no effort to even look into what the character can actually do, similar case being doc, these characters are "worse versions" so they instantly get labeled as "bad" or even "trash" characters. zero recently made a vid on doc(again) after nairo pulled him out, props to the guy for admiting he was wrong, but all the things nairo did where know beforehand. just a little bit of looking into the character and what he can do would do wonders.<- and that single sentence pretty much sums up the biggest problem i have with the popular opinion on pretty much all lower tier characters in this game... :(

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I've already had this argument pages ago so I'm not going to even bother.
Perhaps you should re establish your criteria? I mean, if a whole forum, results, pro players, etc, basically says that Marth is sorta just ok, what kind of results and SOLID evidence ( results and more ) could you show us that Lucina is better than Marth ( marth being already just an ok character ).

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Perhaps you should re establish your criteria? I mean, if a whole forum, results, pro players, etc, basically says that Marth is sorta just ok, what kind of results and SOLID evidence ( results and more ) could you show us that Lucina is better than Marth ( marth being already just an ok character ).
No ones arguing that :4lucina:should be higher tier than :4marth:. Honestly with the posts above history is repeating itself yet again when the topic arose before hand.

My opinion is simply that the gap between them is far too big just because of the "tipper" factor.

Browny

Smash Hater
No ones arguing that :4lucina:should be higher tier than :4marth:. Honestly with the posts above history is repeating itself yet again when the topic arose before hand.

My opinion is simply that the gap between them is far too big just because of the "tipper" factor.
Whether we like it or not, tier lists represent tournament popularity as well as viability.

Marth is believed to be more popular, therefore he is played more in tournaments. Its a feedback loop of bias towards him that will see him rise in use as Lucina falls. Its unfortunate but its true.

Despite that, they are in no way as effected by this as mii gunner and swordfighter. The sheer fact that they are unpopular means they get relegated to bottom tier since no one has seen them win. Honestly, there is no way that those two characters are bottom tier but for as long as people believe they are, they wont see any use and stay there.

D

Deleted member

The ridiculous and sad thing is that even Marth's non-tippered moves are more safe on shield than Lucina's moves.

It still doesn't justify a tier difference in my opinion, but it does show there is another advantage to using Marth other than the tipper.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead

I actually think, contrary to what happened to the list, the majority of people believe Lucina should have been much closer to Marth. The problem is we each got one vote, and while many people voted for Marth very few people were willing to give up their single vote for Lucina so could move along with him. No system can be perfect.

Top Bottom