• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Guys....I think I counted.....what? SEVEN DOWN VOTES for Greninja???
Ryu is also really starting to be a concern, I think I counted nearly 8 up votes?
Yep, BowserBoy was so right when saying we need to look at other peoples votes

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Guys....I think I counted.....what? SEVEN DOWN VOTES for Greninja???

Yep, BowserBoy was so right when saying we need to look at other peoples votes
I was :4greninja:'ed..... Hilarious...

1::4bayonetta::4cloud::4zss::4diddy::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic:
2::4mario::4fox::4villager::4metaknight::4greninja:
3::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu::4pikachu::4falcon::4corrin::4tlink:(:4darkpit::4pit:):4myfriends::4rob::4dk::4yoshi::4lucario::4luigi::4kirby:
4::4pacman::4marth::4miibrawl::4lucas::4robinm::4peach::4olimar::4megaman::4wario::4lucina::4wiifit::4gaw:
5::4link::4shulk::4miigun::4bowser::4samus::4falco::4drmario::4bowserjr::4miisword::4littlemac::4charizard:
6::4feroy::4palutena::4duckhunt::4dedede:
7::4ganondorf::4zelda::4jigglypuff:

-1:4link:Garbage that needs to be taken out.
+1:4duckhunt:I've said it like a billion times already, but people underestimate his strengths and overestimate his weaknesses
+1:4greninja:wow guys, I agree he's too high but I don't want him too low either
-1:4dk:no. no. NO. Donkey Kong is defitenly not 24th, he's kinda like 28thish. Pac-Man, Yoshi, Lucario, and Luigi are clearly better.
+1:4gaw:Good, now he's athe correct spot..... and people down vote him. yay. not really

Furret24

Smash Master
+1:4gaw:Good, now he's athe correct spot..... and people down vote him. yay. not really
Subjective. Personally, I think he's low tier. Mid tier is hardly the "correct" spot for him imo.

Also, "Link is garbage that needs to be taken out"? What?
:162:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu::4pikachu::4falcon::4corrin::4tlink:(:4darkpit::4pit:):4myfriends::4rob::4dk::4yoshi::4lucario::4luigi::4kirby:
4::4pacman::4marth::4miibrawl::4lucas::4robinm::4peach::4olimar::4megaman::4wario::4lucina::4wiifit::4gaw:
5::4link::4shulk::4miigun::4bowser::4samus::4falco::4drmario::4bowserjr::4miisword::4littlemac::4charizard:

+1:4duckhunt:I've said it like a billion times already, but people underestimate his strengths and overestimate his weaknesses
+1:4greninja:wow guys, I agree he's too high but I don't want him too low either
-1:4dk:no. no. NO. Donkey Kong is defitenly not 24th, he's kinda like 28thish. Pac-Man, Yoshi, Lucario, and Luigi are clearly better.
You sound like me when I used to get mad at people downvoting Palutena and when they upvoted Roy.

Please stop. Your anti-Link bias is hugely apparent.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
-1:4greninja:While I agree that he's underrated, he's hardly on the same level as Mario, Meta Knight, and Fox.
-1:4sheik:Simply put, she just isn't tier 1 material anymore.
+1:4peach:Yikes, let's fix that.
+1:4miibrawl:Yep, still too low for what he's got.
-1:4gaw:Let's all stop for a moment and consider, what, objectively, does G&W have going for him? Well, his damage output and punish ability is pretty stellar; his mobility and recovery aren't half bad... and that's about it. While these strengths are undeniably powerful in the right hands, they aren't nearly enough to mitigate his crippling weaknesses in other areas (super hard time killing, virtually nonexistent neutral, poor survivability, etc.) that keep him from being comparable to Wario, PAC-MAN, Wii Fit, or any of the others in tier 4.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord

Just thought I let you know that they don't drop in their tier, Browny corrected me on that

Dusk Pit

Smash Apprentice
- :4cloud: Definitely not the second best
- :4duckhunt: I would put him right next to Puff especially now that Zelda and Ganon were buffed
- :4mewtwo: Pretty good spot for Mewtwo but people upvote him too much
- :4falco: He hasn't got much going for him
+ :4link: Link is an amazing character and has received tons of buffs

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
- :4duckhunt: I would put him right next to Puff especially now that Zelda and Ganon were buffed
That's good logic, until you realise that Zelda's buffs really did absolutely nothing for her what-so-ever. That supposed "hoo-hah" has been debunked, it's not true at all.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
+1:4sonic:(Just so he won't drop to tier 3, though that will still happen)
+1:4marth:Got 9th and Pound and Top 8 in another Japan tournament. He is like a mini Tink for Pound, so yeh)
+1:4peach: People act like being hard to learn makes her bad
+1:4ness:Why?!?!
+1:4miibrawl:He has about the same theory as Yoshi, and Yoshi is tier 3, so :4miibrawl:should be tier 3

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
+:4marth:Just by the past couple months, almost every tournament that was looked at included a Marth in top 20, at least from what I've seen. The buffs have really done a service for the guy and consistent results from Pugwest et al really solidify his relevance to the current meta. They weren't as significant as mewtwo's, but the changes to him have just made him an incredibly solid character.
+ :4lucina:By extension from what I've said about Marth, Lucina gets an upvote based purely on principle.
+:4duckhunt: I think he isn't that bad. I remember watching a tourny with a guy doing well with this character (forgot the name of the player and tourny haha), and DH can really put on a clinic with the tools he got. There's probably a good reason why the Japanese scene likes the character too.
-:4lucario: A bit of an outlier compared to others in his tier (Kirby's getting downvoted) from my view. There's a couple dedicated players to the guy but other than that there really isn't anything to show for what Lucario has to offer in terms of relevance and presence in the meta. I'd wager that the top of T4 makes the most sense given the circumstance of the character and the tools he's got.
-:4yoshi: Samesies

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376

Q) Should I vote depending on what other people are voting on?
A) No! There is no point in people doing this since future votes can negate yours. Spend your votes on what YOU think needs them, not to counter out other peoples votes because usually, a counter vote will end up being wasted if you try to turn the tides in a popular movement.
whenever someone tries to persuade others to change their popular votes and start countervoting i look at this and lmfao

D

Deleted member

:4ganondorf:+1 For sure, he's at least better than Dedede.
:4greninja:-1 Far too high for my liking.
:4cloud:+1 Don't think he's worse than Sonic or Sheik. Should be top 5 for sure.
:4samus:+1 Why'd she get this low, especially with the amount of results she's been getting after 1.1.5?
:4lucina:+1 Too far away from Marth.
:4ganondorf:+1
:4mewtwo:+1
:4bowser:+1
:4samus:+1
:4lucina:+1

Changed my Cloud upvote to a Bowser upvote and my Greninja downvote to a Mewtwo upvote.

- :4cloud: Definitely not the second best
- :4mewtwo: Pretty good spot for Mewtwo but people upvote him too much
- :4falco: He hasn't got much going for him
+ :4link: Link is an amazing character and has received tons of buffs
Wouldn't really call Link amazing, and the amount of buffs a character gets doesn't necessarily mean they're good. They're helpful yeah, but characters like Shulk or Ganon haven't risen out of low tier despite receiving nice quality of life buffs.

Not disputing your votes in any way whatsoever, but I just wanted to state my disagreement.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
whenever someone tries to persuade others to change their popular votes and start countervoting i look at this and lmfao
Thing is, sometimes its better to counter vote. Its an opinion if you want to or not, but it can help us from having to waste a vote next time trying to up/down vote someone next time

D

Deleted member 269706

What on earth happened?!

+ :4ness: :4ryu: :4pikachu: All of these characters should be within the top 2 tiers in my opinion. Ryu is debatable but I honestly think he belongs up there with the rest of the characters with his amazing tools, punish game, set-ups, combos, edge guarding, etc. Ness doesn't even need to be argued for. Pikachu does lack results but his ridiculous speed, and great combo game should put him up in tier 2. When I look at this tier list, I can't imagine any character currently under Pikachu being above him any time soon.
- :4greninja: - Great character with a lot of potential, but the character has a lot of limitations. I think he's a very unorthodox match-up which is why people are going so crazy over him right now (along with the fact that he's a good counterpick for Bayo), but ultimately as people begin to understand this character, he'll drop a bit. I think he deserves a spot at the top of tier 3 with Corrin, Tink.
- :4sonic: - Another solid character but I just don't see him on the same level as Bayo, Cloud, Rosa, etc. A lot of people aren't familiar with this character's weaknesses (he can be grabbed out of spindash, when his dair autocancels the hitbox is gone, he has a very predictable recovery, etc.) but they exist. Definitely think he deserves a spot in the top 10, but not quite on the same level as the top tiers.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
+:4mario:Great match up spread and results. He's constantly coming and going in my top 5 so I can't leave him out of tier 1.
+:4megaman:Has a solid match up spread, even against most of the high tiers. Sheik isn't dominating every event like she used to really helps him out.
+:4peach:She just isn't in the bottom half of characters in this game.
+:4gaw:Saw a number of people downvote him. A character with his grab combos (including his kill set up in toot toot that works across the cast), up smash, and comeback factor in 9 hammer is not a low tier.
-:4dk:Too many poor match ups to be this high. I can't see him being a better character than G&W, even with his results.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

+:4duckhunt: DHD supporters 4 life

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
+:4gaw:Saw a number of people downvote him. A character with his grab combos (including his kill set up in toot toot that works across the cast), up smash, and comeback factor in 9 hammer is not a low tier.
The thing with G&W is that while his kill moves are super strong, they're difficult to land due to either having small sweetspots and significantly weaker/larger sourspots, having small hitboxes in general, or being laggy and unsafe. As for the moves you mentioned, Up-Smash is admittedly pretty superb, although it still suffers from a lack of range. Toot Toot is the best he has as far as kill setups go, but the % window for it on most characters is slim, especially out of D-throw if you get the execution just right. And 9? That move's slow, has bad range, and is luck-based on top of that. In 1v1's, a G&W who knows what they're doing will pretty much only throw out Judge to show off. All this amounts to a generally terrible time killing for him. Like I said, considering everything that G&W doesn't have - like an actual neutral game, for instance - he is most certainly a low-tier in his current state.

Last edited:

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Suppose we have differing opinions. I find toot toot more than consistent enough with its window being an average of about 16% and being pretty easy to perform. Half his kills will come from Up Smash since it's safe to throw out when you have the advantage by being below them, which isn't something difficult to set up, or by using it as an anti air when they are approaching at kill %. And of course you don't just use Judge. I said comeback factor. I played a set vs Regi awhile back and I'm sure you can guess how I died when I had a 90%+ lead. Besides, his neutral is good enough with what the great dash attack/grab mix up he has and having an excellent foxtrot to bait and punish, which is kind of how he's played. It's just kinda sad seeing him being voted down and seeing my main, Bowser, being voted up when I know G&W is the better character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Suppose we have differing opinions. I find toot toot more than consistent enough with its window being an average of about 16% and being pretty easy to perform. Half his kills will come from Up Smash since it's safe to throw out when you have the advantage by being below them, which isn't something difficult to set up, or by using it as an anti air when they are approaching at kill %. And of course you don't just use Judge. I said comeback factor. I played a set vs Regi awhile back and I'm sure you can guess how I died when I had a 90%+ lead. Besides, his neutral is good enough with what the great dash attack/grab mix up he has and having an excellent foxtrot to bait and punish, which is kind of how he's played. It's just kinda sad seeing him being voted down and seeing my main, Bowser, being voted up when I know G&W is the better character.
Bowser worse than G&W? I actually have a bit of trouble believing that. Bowser usually gets more reward off his conversions and Rage helps him out a ton.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
+1
:4sheik:: Still has a fantastic neutral and solid matchup spread, despite the nerfs.
:4wiifitm:: Good projectiles, solid tools, great recovery, good damage racking potential, but poor approach options and a lack of representation. Honestly, despite main bias, I feel like he's around the same spot as Pac-Man.
:4ganondorf:: Any buff that gives stronger options OOS and a decent kill confirm with a solid way to rack up damage should lead to at least a small tier increase in my opinion. Also has solid regional tournament performance, which is nice.
:4bayonetta2:: Best in the Game, probably. Tier of her own, no. People really need to learn her weaknesses more, just like every other matchup in the game.
:4greninja:: Good theoretical matchup spread, but results still inconclusive. Also, I still believe Sheik is a losing matchup despite the nerfs.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
(:4pit:/:4darkpit:) - (have not earned tier 3 results, has subpar representation aside from Earth)
:4mewtwo:+ (still won a national, still underrated somehow, and still has strong regional results)
:4mario:+ (consistently ranks high at almost every tournament he's in, 2nd at Pound)
:4ganondorf:+ (has enough results to not be the last tier)
:4pikachu:- (constantly still overrated despite having only one rep and subpar results)

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
-1:4bayonetta2:: Best in the Game, probably. Tier of her own, no. People really need to learn her weaknesses more, just like every other matchup in the game.
But Bayonetta isn't in her own tier...?

Also, you made 6 votes. You're only allowed 5 votes. You might want to make sure that's changed so you get your votes counted properly. :)

Last edited:

mkwstar

Smash Rookie
:4samus: +1 - Since 1.1.5, Samus has been buffed quite a bit and I think this warrants her being better than Shulk/MiiGunner/Link.
I love the new bombs - the reduction of startup lag made me use it quite a bit in neutral against slower characters.

:4mario: +1 - Mario has an incredibly stellar combo game, a good projectile, and is just the jack-of-all-trades the face of Nintendo is supposed to be. He is exceptional in the sense that he is pretty good at everything, and I think a character like this who is extremely versatile is worthy of being in the likes around Sonic/Shiek.

:4ganondorf: +1 - D3 managed to climb to Tier 6, so should old Ganondorf! He really is not THIS bad to be honest, I think I'd put him above D3/Palutena for sure.

:4charizard: -1 - not seeing why he is up there. He has some (janky) stuff going for him but aside from that I don't like his placing in T5 too much, I'd put him just under Roy

Very unsure of my 5th vote, so I'll go with a -1 for :4yoshi: right now - might change this later

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Guess time to cast my votes

+:4falco: cmon now, we knew I would do this.
- :4ryu:all theory, same reason people downvote falco, yet they upvote ryu >_> because that totally makes sense
-:4falcon:Just dont feel him being there.
+:4bowserjr: cmon now
+ :4villager:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
-:4dk:Too many poor match ups to be this high. I can't see him being a better character than G&W, even with his results.
This gave me a good laugh.

Bowser worse than G&W? I actually have a bit of trouble believing that. Bowser usually gets more reward off his conversions and Rage helps him out a ton.
People still underrate Bowser like crazy just because he's a heavy character and has poor landing options. I think it's kind of the remainder of the negative stigma against heavies from past games where they were generally significantly worse. At least heavies like DK (and Ike to a lesser extent) have gotten large amounts of attention lately. Maybe someday Bowser will get the same but it's hard to say.

Routa

Smash Lord
-:4ryu:all theory, same reason people downvote falco, yet they upvote ryu >_> because that totally makes sense
The difference is that on paper Falco is still "bad" unlike Ryu. Ryu does demand more than average competitive player can give if you want to get 100% power off from Ryu. His footsies game is top lvl along with his punish game. Falco is just "eh" in many areas.
I'm not good at explaining, but I hope you got my point.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
The difference is that on paper Falco is still "bad" unlike Ryu. Ryu does demand more than average competitive player can give if you want to get 100% power off from Ryu. His footsies game is top lvl along with his punish game. Falco is just "eh" in many areas.
I'm not good at explaining, but I hope you got my point.
Galgatha Galgatha - I can only second what Routa says here. Falco and Ryu both have good theories, but while both are quite tough to play, Ryu gets FAR more reward for being tough to play.

Ryu is just tough to play because of his skill level. When mastered, he is easy to play because he doesn't really have any garing flaws, and has huge positives. Falco on the other hand, while he is simpler and easy to play, will always be harder to perform with because he has character specific flaws and problems that Ryu does not have. Ryu can approach, and has multiple tools to do so, including a projectile that stays out in front of him for a second, providing coverage, a pseudo counter move which he can mix up (fade in, out, attack, or even use it to tank a hit, or recover), and safe tilts that rack up damage, causing a constant threat to the opponent. Falco struggles at approaching due to having a laggy projectile that is not threatening, and too much general lag on his moves. While Falco can attempt to approach with his aerials, they aren't too safe on shield. Ryu, on top of all of the above, can also approach with his aerials, and are the safest in the game, due to all of his moves possessing a hitlag modifier of x1.8 and high damage, making him incredibly hard to punish out of shield. While both characters have good KO'ing power, DI destroys Falco's KO throws and throw to kill confirms (which he struggles to get due to his lack of approach). Ryu, tied in with his general move safety above, can KO you off of a tilt in neutral at 65%...

Let's forget about Falco a moment and focus on Ryu though... With everything I mentioned above, there is no way Ryu deserves to be any lower. You can say that his high skill cap or having meh results overall prevents him from being top tier, but he is most certainly not any lower (but seriously, Smash must be the only game where having a high skill level is considered bad and makes a character bad lol).

D

Deleted member

I will say this about Samus.

Nowadays, she feels more like "I'm a mid-tier character with a high learning curve and overall good reward despite my flaws!" :4megaman: rather than "I'm a low tier who has to work really, really hard to succeed in neutral and deal with a notable amount of bad matchups.." :4zelda::4dedede:

Just sayin'.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
+1
:4sheik:: Still has a fantastic neutral and solid matchup spread, despite the nerfs.
:4wiifitm:: Good projectiles, solid tools, great recovery, good damage racking potential, but poor approach options and a lack of representation. Honestly, despite main bias, I feel like he's around the same spot as Pac-Man.
:4ganondorf:: Any buff that gives stronger options OOS and a decent kill confirm with a solid way to rack up damage should lead to at least a small tier increase in my opinion. Also has solid regional tournament performance, which is nice.
:4bayonetta2:: Best in the Game, probably. Tier of her own, no. People really need to learn her weaknesses more, just like every other matchup in the game.
:4greninja:: Good theoretical matchup spread, but results still inconclusive. Also, I still believe Sheik is a losing matchup despite the nerfs.
:4robinf:: Robin, get down. Chrom can't save you if you climb any higher. This is probably due to matchup inexperience, but compared to the other characters in this tier, I feel she's a little too high.
Thank you for that WFT upvote. I have no idea why they were voting her down. When she's top of tier 4 worthy. Maybe bottom of tier 3....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank you for that WFT upvote. I have no idea why they were voting her down. When she's top of tier 4 worthy. Maybe bottom of tier 3....
I wanna vote her up next round. She deserves more attention.

Really hope RIN or John Numbers can make it to another national this year. CEO and Apex are coming up, so maybe then..

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I just want to say that I have edited my post in the previous page with my last two votes :)

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
-1 Kirby: he maybe anti meta, but he isn't good

+1 Roy: Reddit overrating him was the worst thing to ever happen to him. He's low tier, but people have gotten carried away with hating on him.

-1 GnW: He will destroy you if you don't know what you're doing, but he's still not that good.

+1 Bowser: Not that bad. His bow wow combo is still pretty strong. Is some what outclassed by DK, but overall has better ground game

+1 Mewtwo: He's won more majors than over half the characters above him. He deserves that high tier spot. Match up ignorance be damned, that won't let you win majors by itself.

:150:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Some of the total votes for certain characters have gotten rather out of hand now... mainly Greninja and Kirby. At this rate, Greninja is one - vote away from dropping 2 tiers...

Top Bottom