• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Heh. Well, to each their own. I hope ol' Doc serves ya well.
On any one of my posts that has my signature (like this one), you'll see that Doc is now my 3rd best, with Pac-Man being 2nd, so he's still one of my best. I do agree that he's worse than the other Mario Bros, but I think he deserves middle of tier 5.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Don't pretend Doc has some drastically different playstyle (his playstyle is different, but that's mostly because of how his flaws cripple him to his bait/punish gameplan which doesn't make sense because his punish game is weaker than Mario's) so you can make up reasons that he isn't directly inferior to Mario in every way.

-1 :4feroy:
-1 :4pikachu:
+1 :rosalina:
His punish game is weaker than Mario's? What are you smoking?

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
His strings do less damage on average. He can't go offstage nearly as effectively. He can't be risky and go for reads and not really get punished for it like Mario.

Seige

Smash Cadet
1. This isn't Melee. You have room to fail once or twice in the neutral.
2. My point was, it's a thousand times HARDER to fail with Lucina because you don't need to constantly aim for a specific hitbox. Therefore, using your argument, Lucina is safer in the neutral than Marth, which I agree with.
3. If a Marth could somehow got tippers 100% of the time, I would be more willing to agree that Marth is better than Lucina, but that's not how it works. Nobody will ever get 100% tippers on command.
1. That's a bad argument. That's like saying this isn't brawl and so defensive play isn't good:
2&3. >1000, hyperboles everywhere. She still can't slip up tho. If she slips up... Well look where Lucina ended up. That's right dead.
And if people can "make mistakes" then so can Marth and since if he only misses a few tippers then he's better because even if you don't hit all the tippers 100% you can hit 95% of them and that's in your "can slip up in neutral argument.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4lucina: -1
Stop there's a reason she's lower, holy ****.

P.S. I swear if Lucina ends up higher than Marth there's something wrong.
Marth gets tips for being prettier than Lucina.

Everyone talks about $100 tips all day everyday but really how often do you get tips that big at work?

On a serious note, I agree she is by far no means better than Marth. However, people tend to overlook that in certain situations she has an easier time killing than Marth.

Landing a sour spot as Marth could easily be a kill for Lucina (especially with rage).

The gap in tiers between them despite having very similar play styles is far too wide in my opinion and it's really sad to see people continue to down vote her.

Honestly at this point though she's probably going to end up staying low tier since people just can't get over how much prettier Marth is.

Last edited:

Cyclone_

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLAMECMCT
There's a margin of error in neutral? I literally can't believe what I'm reading.
I was asking myself the same thing thinking, hm these people have no idea what they are talking about considering :4marth:& :4lucina:. These two characters specifically have absolutely no room for error considering their frame data and speed. you **** up in neutral you get punished hard by good players, and i mean HAAAARD.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4mario:-Better the his Doctor form. No longer balanced and is either top or high tier.
:4drmario:-Not as good as his Plumber form, but still good. Should be somewhere in mid tier.
:4marth:- Good but not as great as he was in Melee and Brawl. High mid tier.
:4lucina:- The worst of the 3 Marths, but still pretty good. Somewhere in the mid tier area.
:4feroy:- Better than both Marth and Lucina, and either the best FE character or the 2nd best. Probably high mid or low high tier.
:4ness:- Better than Lucas tournament wise. High tier.
:4lucas:- Better than Ness in everything else. Should be high tier.
:4fox:- Better than Falco, but weaker and fast faller...also lighter. High tier
:4falco:- Better jumps and damage than Fox, heavier, and slower. Should be high tier, but for now is mid tier
:4pit:- Slightly better than Dark Pit, but so unnoticeable that they're equal
:4darkpit:- Slightly worse than Pit, but still unnoticeable
•Pit's arrows are better for movement and gimping, Dark Pit's are faster but not as useful as Pit's are.
•Pit's ftilt is better
•Pit's jabs are better
•Pittoo's Electroshock is better than Pit's Upperdash when it's near the ledge or offstage. If still onstage, then Pit's Upperdash is better.
Either way, both are the best copies in the game(original and clone).
Didn't bring up Ganon and Falcon cause I went be series...and they're not in the same series.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I never claimed there was a large margin for error in neutral, but there is some. It shrinks and shrinks as the skill level of the match increases, but it's still there. Your opponent's the reaction time, the lag of the move you used in error, the distance between you, these all affect it.

My point was, despite the margin for error being small, Marth's is even SMALLER because of the precision needed to consistently land tippers. Lucina's is not as small as Marth's because she doesn't need this precision.

Routa

Smash Lord
Wait... People think that Kirby is as good as Lucario and Pit(s)? Huh... Never knew. May I ask what Kirby has going for himself? I know he has great combo game, but as far as I know that is it. He has relatively poor approach game, has hard time killing and has very linear recovery (compared to rest of the cast). He is good, but still not Lucario good in my eyes. Am I missing something crucial or something?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wait... People think that Kirby is as good as Lucario and Pit(s)? Huh... Never knew. May I ask what Kirby has going for himself? I know he has great combo game, but as far as I know that is it. He has relatively poor approach game, has hard time killing and has very linear recovery (compared to rest of the cast). He is good, but still not Lucario good in my eyes. Am I missing something crucial or something?
Definitely not as good as either Pits, and can't say much about Lucario, but Kirby seems to have some good setups of off Fthrow and Dthrow.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I can vouch from a Lucario point of view. It may be that people just think Lucario is a tad overrated. I'll be honest, Lucario is scary with Aura, but landing that finishing hit can be tough because his kill moves are a bit sluggish. He does however have Aura Sphere charge up into Jump Cancelled Up Smash, but that still requires you to land from above with the Aura Sphere, during its charge up period. Kirby does have some nice setups from his throws. He has smashes with decent power and speed, not to mention he can do Dair into a smash. Kirby doesn't have huge combos, though he does indeed have some (which some characters are lacking in, and gets beaten on by a lot of characters with longer range than him (mainly disjoint, such as Marth, Ike etc), so I don't really know where he deserves to be. I will say that I think Lucario is in just the right place IMO. If i'm honest, I think Kirby is too, as I don't see any other reason to warrant him being next to Lucario. Also, I don't think I've seen many Kirbys in customs off tournaments (which is the thing these days), so I think where he is is fair.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone here think Kirby is as good as Lucario or the Pits, but IMO he could be a little higher. He has great air attacks, good frame data in most attacks (A few attacks such as up smash aren't good in that though), great tilts, great comboing ability and general combos themeself, good recovery, can use your opponent's neutral special, good smashes, great jab, good dash attack, and he has great off-stage and d-air spike can edgeguard pretty good, espicially aganist up specials that don't attack like Pit's (Even though that matchup is still 45:55 lol). He also has a good pummel, and all of his grabs are great, and have many great combos. He can also crouch under many attacks, (and crouching even complety obiliterates zss). His matchup's are also good for somebody in middle tier; 50:50 aganist ZSS and Sheik, who are considered the top 2.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I don't think anyone here think Kirby is as good as Lucario or the Pits, but IMO he could be a little higher. He has great air attacks, good frame data in most attacks (A few attacks such as up smash aren't good in that though), great tilts, great comboing ability and general combos themeself, good recovery, can use your opponent's neutral special, good smashes, great jab, good dash attack, and he has great off-stage and d-air spike can edgeguard pretty good, espicially aganist up specials that don't attack like Pit's (Even though that matchup is still 45:55 lol). He also has a good pummel, and all of his grabs are great, and have many great combos. He can also crouch under many attacks, (and crouching even complety obiliterates zss). His matchup's are also good for somebody in middle tier; 50:50 aganist ZSS and Sheik, who are considered the top 2.
I never heard anything about his Sheik/ZSS matches being 50:50...

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
He still loses to them, but barely.

You might as well just use Kirby as a CP character, he gets destroyed by every other good character in the game.

Seige

Smash Cadet
:4mario:-Better the his Doctor form. No longer balanced and is either top or high tier.
:4drmario:-Not as good as his Plumber form, but still good. Should be somewhere in mid tier.
:4marth:- Good but not as great as he was in Melee and Brawl. High mid tier.
:4lucina:- The worst of the 3 Marths, but still pretty good. Somewhere in the mid tier area.
:4feroy:- Better than both Marth and Lucina, and either the best FE character or the 2nd best. Probably high mid or low high tier.
:4ness:- Better than Lucas tournament wise. High tier.
:4lucas:- Better than Ness in everything else. Should be high tier.
:4fox:- Better than Falco, but weaker and fast faller...also lighter. High tier
:4falco:- Better jumps and damage than Fox, heavier, and slower. Should be high tier, but for now is mid tier
:4pit:- Slightly better than Dark Pit, but so unnoticeable that they're equal
:4darkpit:- Slightly worse than Pit, but still unnoticeable
•Pit's arrows are better for movement and gimping, Dark Pit's are faster but not as useful as Pit's are.
•Pit's ftilt is better
•Pit's jabs are better
•Pittoo's Electroshock is better than Pit's Upperdash when it's near the ledge or offstage. If still onstage, then Pit's Upperdash is better.
Either way, both are the best copies in the game(original and clone).
Didn't bring up Ganon and Falcon cause I went be series...and they're not in the same series.
Dark Pit's arrows are slower lol. They're better to cover your approach. It also could potentially gimp better due to increased knockback but usually that's for Pit's fast adjustable arrows.
You mean at the middle of the stage not still "onstage" for side B
Forward Tilt doing less knockback for Dark Pit can sometimes result in a better combo.
Jab Is a bit better, not as noticeable as it might seem.
Lucas is fine where he is
Falco shouldn't be high tier, high mid tier is good enough for him.

Last edited:

Seige

Smash Cadet
Marth gets tips for being prettier than Lucina.

Everyone talks about $100 tips all day everyday but really how often do you get tips that big at work?

On a serious note, I agree she is by far no means better than Marth. However, people tend to overlook that in certain situations she has an easier time killing than Marth.

Landing a sour spot as Marth could easily be a kill for Lucina (especially with rage).

The gap in tiers between them despite having very similar play styles is far too wide in my opinion and it's really sad to see people continue to down vote her.

Honestly at this point though she's probably going to end up staying low tier since people just can't get over how much prettier Marth is.
I'm fine with a single tier gap. I mean if you sourspot it is harder, but if it's high level play I doubt the player won't hit them so Marth is better from what I think.
Sad to vote her down? I think at the rate I saw Lucina up votes she's gonna shoot past her intended tier and I'm just responding to that.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
A lot of misinfo about Kirby in this thread, I'm going to try and stay as unbiased as possible for my explanation.

Kirby has one of the best combo games at early percents. On fastfallers Kirby has 60% combos as long as you can get a successful frame trap. He has a lot of combo starters too. Kirby also has good edge-guarding because of how long d-air lasts and how it can be followed up by a footstool or another d-air. This is also helped by his quick moves with no landing lag.

Thing about Kirby is getting these good strings/advantage state things is hard. Kirby lacks good approach options, Kirby lacks good defensive options, Kirby had bad range, Kirby has bad landing options, horrible air mobility, and his combo starters are VERY punishable.

The reason I advocate him being low-mid is because his good things aren't applicable in high-level play. His weaknesses counter his strengths. In low-level play he could be top tier, but his weak neutral and being one of the hardest characters to achieve the "advantage" stat with, he doesn't compare at all to lucario and Pits.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Dark Pit's arrows are slower lol. They're better to cover your approach. It also could potentially gimp better due to increased knockback but usually that's for Pit's fast adjustable arrows.
You mean at the middle of the stage not still "onstage" for side B
Forward Tilt doing less knockback for Dark Pit can sometimes result in a better combo.
Jab Is a bit better, not as noticeable as it might seem.
Lucas is fine where he is
Falco shouldn't be high tier, high mid tier is good enough for him.
Dark Pits are faster as of patch 1.10, don't know how you didn't notice it. Pit's jabs are in the same situation, better since 1.10.
Compared to Pit's arrows, thy can't gimp someone like Ness.
Even though ftilt can setup some combos, still won't kill for a long time compared to Pit's ftilt.
I mean onstage in general. Upperdash kills vertically, so it'll ko anywhere at the same percent. Electroshock kills quicker on the ledge or offstage near the blastzone, anywhere else, not till about 160-170%(sometimes even 210% depending on the stage or situation).
Lucas and Falco, if in the right hands, could be a threat to people. Besides, if DK can be considered high tier by people, so can Lucas and Falco.

Gamesfreak13563

Smash Cadet
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
Yeah, Lucina is basically Marth for noobs.
I think Lucina's main niche (up close attacks) has been supplanted by Roy who does what she does except better in practically every way. It would be radical, but I think the dev team should give Lucina some sort of unique feature. Maybe give her Marth's Melee shieldbreaker, or even like a ranged attack crescent slash on her Dancing Blade or like a counter that also counters grabs but has more endlag

Seige

Smash Cadet
Dark Pits are faster as of patch 1.10, don't know how you didn't notice it. Pit's jabs are in the same situation, better since 1.10.
Compared to Pit's arrows, thy can't gimp someone like Ness.
Even though ftilt can setup some combos, still won't kill for a long time compared to Pit's ftilt.
I mean onstage in general. Upperdash kills vertically, so it'll ko anywhere at the same percent. Electroshock kills quicker on the ledge or offstage near the blastzone, anywhere else, not till about 160-170%(sometimes even 210% depending on the stage or situation).
Lucas and Falco, if in the right hands, could be a threat to people. Besides, if DK can be considered high tier by people, so can Lucas and Falco.
To be fair, Pit's F-Tilt won't kill anytime soon either. Well not too soon.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
To be fair, Pit's F-Tilt won't kill anytime soon either. Well not too soon.
It does, by about 30-60%

One of our "men" tested it out on Mario, Jiggs, and Dedede

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Okay, this list has gotten WAY worse than it used to be. I listed all of its flaws here, in order of how drastic they are.

:4miigun: +1 Being a Mii Fighter doesn't make him bad. He is a camping character, and campers do well in this game. He has good matchups against quite a few people.
:4megaman: +1 In a way, Mega Man is broken. He has projectiles he shouldn't have for his neutral attack/forward tilt/forward aerial, forward smash, up aerial, and down aerial.
:4pacman: -1 Pac-Man is easy to use, but he isn't an entire tier above Lucario and Olimar, even if he is the best of the three.
:4mario: -1 Sure, Mario is good with combos, but that's pretty much all he has going for him. He's way too easily affected by tricks, such as R.O.B.'s Gyro to down aerial, or Jigglypuff's gimping.
:4miibrawl: +1 Too often underrated. At base, Mii Brawler is really fast and strong, which means he should be anywhere from middle tier to high tier.
:4dk: -1 I've said this before, I'll say it again. Donkey Kong is high tier 5 at the highest. He has bad matchups against anybody good with combos, speed, or projectiles. To name a few, this covers :4marth::4robinm::4miibrawl::4drmario::4littlemac:, who are all in lower tiers.
:4luigi: +1 Why is Luigi in tier 3? He's a combo master. He has great results in tournaments, and a wide array of kill options.
:4littlemac: +1 We all know he can't recover. So what? It's not like he instantly teleports off the stage at the start of every match. If we get knocked off the stage, he'll just jump and/or Jolt Haymaker back (the latter having a hitbox, making it difficult to punish). Given how fast he is, it'll be hard to get there in the first place. He's fast and strong, the flawless combo.
:4lucina: -1 See below.
:4marth: +1 He should be higher, like he was earlier. He has fast attacks that come before the vast majority of other attacks. His forward aerial is the perfect gimping tool, and he kills early with both the tipper and Shield Breaker. The latter is easy to land, and if it breaks a shield, it gives Marth a 100% chance of winning at a high enough percent.
:4bowserjr: -1 What did he do to get this high? Oh, I know. Absolutely nothing. His attacks are too easy to avoid.
:4shulk: +1 Monado Arts let him adapt to whoever he's fighting against, and he has good power, range, and recovery whether he uses them or not. And don't say "bad frame data". It's hard to punish him if he just sent you flying.

Now, these are my actual votes.

:4wiifit: -1 People think that just because someone gets buffed, that they are automatically top tier. That...isn't how it works. WFT doesn't have any strong traits, she just runs up and smacks you around. Her strongest attack (Sun Salutation) is easily avoidable, and Deep Breathing is easily punishable. Guys with reflectors and counters can really mess her up. Really, anyone can defeat her easily.
:4dedede: +1 King Dedede has many great traits. Great aerial motion, strong power, and great recovery. It's not too hard to hit people with your attacks, not even your strong ones like the forward smash or dash attack. Dedede has legendary gimping game, which can be accomplished using things like Gordos or dash attacks. With multiple jumps, he easily dodges attacks, and can punish with his neutral aerial. The only guys he does have trouble defeating are the fast characters, and even then, it requires the fastest characters that can combo well, like :4sonic::4fox:.
:4ryu: -1 ......................................WHY?

Here's a tier list that I just created.
Smash 4 Tier List.PNG

Top Bottom