• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
This is how I think the process went
  1. Roy/Ryu development close to wrapping up, negotiations with Squeenix began
  2. Ballot opens, King K. Rool and Inkling get a strong start most likely, Mii Costumes born
  3. Cloud in development, FE: Fates around the corner and ideas for a FE: Fates rep being tossed around.
  4. Cloud close to finished, Corrin is decided, slot is added to work on Corrin
  5. Royucas Update releases, Mario 1 and 2 found (Cloud / Corrin)
  6. Ballot drawing to a close, Bayonetta is winning, Mario 3 added to the data, Mii Costumes of honorable mentions (Also Chocobo and Geno)
  7. Ballot ends, Bayonnaise is revealed and Feburary 2016 is the end date.
Smash 4 kept going strong for almost 3 years straight to make the All-Star Lineup we have since release.
Mr. Sakurai, I don't ask for much, but;
PLEASE
Take a LONG vacation after all is said and done.
You've made your mark in history. Go treat yourself to some nice dinner.
And take me with you, and treat me too.
Cloud probably didn't get finished until after Roy and Lucas. Characters take a long time, especially when you remember they are doing the same work twice and making everything 1 to 1.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'd honestly prefer it if we get this Smash released to NX with all the DLC then get a brand new game so soon after development of this game ends.

I don't know if they would add more content to it though.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
PushDustIn PushDustIn I woudl like yto know what you think of what I am about to say because i just want to be sure my conjecture aren;t false to think about.

Since it has been a day since the broadcast, i am going to tell my full thoughts and last speculations I have to say about it.

so, I am assuming that Cloud is a ballot slot and corin isn't. If I am wrong push, tell me because my theory rely heavily on that.

Basically, Bayonetta winning IS SURPRISING, but not impossible. I don;t believe anyone that says it was rigged, I do see her pop up from time to time so having a chance to have the most requests to me isn;t something that doesn't make sense and no matter how unlikely it is, it's still something you could think about. I had to get this out of the way because I personally lived the situation where i saw surprising data that were completely unexpected (it's about Paper Mario being very silently wanted) so I just will not make any theory on the fact they lied or anything and assume it would be the truth.

Now, my theory is how they used the ballot and the fact it is DLC, I feel that because of the characters being DLC, some special consideration were made. How I see the choices is the vets, self explanatory, i see a lot of reasons to add them as dlc if they didn;t had the time to do it. For Ryu, for SSB to be a fighting game and considering Sakurai's intent, I have the feeling he wanted that to happen a long time ago so again, i see reasons for it to be dlc.

Where it gets complicated is the ballot, I have a lot to say on these 3 slots because I have a very storng feeling they had special consideration.

I think DLC was more extra contents and ONLY extra contents. What I mean by this is I don;t think that DLC would matter as much as the other characters in how they change the "balance" of the roster. you could replace balance by terms like repping, or a theory I made on subsets, but what balance more is is the roster not having too much of something or lacking too much of something else, it;s very abstractive anyway.

What this means is corin being in, to me, I don;t even feel they actually considered much the fact that it would overkill the FE part of the roster (no matter how I see it, it is overkill and it honestly was already with roy, but at least roy being a vet, he had his reasons). To me, it feels more like they would add corin as a....."bonus", I wouldn;t say it necessarily is to promote his game, but it might have been a reason. His game coming however to me is a definite reason to why he got added, but the fact Sakurai didn;t really refused to the idea because of the repping of FE, that is actually very interesting.

Like either he didn;t felt it was overkill (which I really don;t think is likely at all, we are talking about the same person that didn;t wanted DDD in melee because of overrepping) OR it would be because the question wasn;t considered as much, that I feel would make much more chance considering it;s extra contents after all.

As for why it got chosen, push bring it a good point: playstyle. Me included, even if a lot of people were pretty "meh" when they saw another FE character (I wasn't), they really found his gameplay cool (me too!). Sakurai could have looked at the new FE game, looked at corin and basically say......"Oh, I think there;s something to do with this!" and he would do it. Like to me, it seems CLEARLY it was an afterthought and wasn;t goign to happen AT ALL in the original game release simply because on the original release, THEN I woudl feel the balance of the roster woudl be much more considered before making a choice.

Ok, now that I got corrin, next is cloud and tbh, I really don;t have much to say, but that decision ties to the Bayonetta case I will detail later. For cloud, being requested on the ballot to me is extremely plausible so I am not questioning it. The 2 things I will mention is he;s third party, and honestly I have a strong feeling he is almost the reason the geno costume even exist. See, I jsut don;t feel that ahving a popular SE character in the game and having a costume of Geno, who is owned by SE, but lost a lot of notability is a coincidence. to me, it really is agin, afterthought where Sakurai would work with SE to add cloud and then realise "Hey, btw, while we are there......" and then I don;t think I need to explain the story. Sort story, cherish this costume because i feel it;s an insane luck.

Now we get to Bayonetta, geez, i have a lot to say.

this is where I really got that DLC is REALLY extra contents. I saw a lot of arguments saying that her inclusion.....woulnd;t make much sense. Her games poorly sold is probably the msot notable one, but to me, if you base yourself on the ballot which is supposed to reflect marketting data, that alone is a reason tbh. Idk if it's because they didn't discarded spammer, that honestly, we will never know, but what I can tell is if I take what we knoe of the results as facts, that is a reason to include here and again, they had to check the ballot to see that so it HAD to be an afterthought (common theme here).

Now, the other interesting facts about it is she is too, third party.

I have the feeling they took third party characters in the ballot for the sake of them being extra (and third party feels much more extra to me, they aren;t even owned by the company). Push again, told a lot of time that contracting for these as DLC is actually much easier than on the release roster so, coudl be jsut a way to say that they chose them becuase of that. which btw @Awesomedude4444 if what I just said is accurate, that means I won by luck because that means I should have lost (I bet with him that not 100% of the remaining characters are third party, but the reason I bet was because of the ballot, i would think one first party came from the ballot).

Which relates to Bayonetta, I am not sure not this one, but what exactly did they meant by ONLY REALIZABLE CHARACTERS? That could either mean they cut troll votes or they actually intentionally cut feasible characters for other reasons. And that is what I think is what happened, I don;t think bayonetta was ENTIRELY chosen because of the ballot, there had to me something else which would relate to her being an extra. I think she would be third party that to be a reason, but I am not sure on that one.

But if I continue the reasoning, then I wondered what exactly was the point of the ballot if they woudl only try to get third party seems they were easier to do for now while they clearly said request anyone?

This is why I think if ssb5 happens that the ballot is going to be a major tool to decide the roster. I really have the feeling a lot of first party requests would be seriously considered as it;s goign to be the initial roster, not extra so decisions would be made depending on how people requests them.

that;s it PushDustIn PushDustIn that was my entire theory on how I think the choices happened. feel free to reply to it, because I really want to know if what I am saying actually makes sense from what you know.

Before I end this post, i jsut want to end on how I feel about Paper Mario in future games.

Assuming a new paper mario game hapens (which I really think is likely considering what he got lately), he is going to be a really serious contender. Paper Jam helped a lot, but it;s more the fact he got a lot lately and from what I know of his request, he is very consistently requested, it;s just silent, but tbh, if Bayonetta was silently wanted, I can;t see why paper amrio would be overshadowed by that. About the mario representation, well the games grow after each iteration so that leaves a bit more room, not to mention he still got a stage, giving him more chances.

But that;s all I can say, like this even assumes ssb5 exists while it clearly doesn;t.

that was maybe the last or maybe one of the last speculation theory I wrote, it was fun :)
@DMurr and I are in the camp that they very much wanted to add a third party via the ballot.

The Future of Smash is Characters.

1. Sakurai's comments on working on different properties. It's mentioned in thr FE interview, it's a reason he left HAL.
2. They said vote for any video game character multiple times.
3. Unique playstyle is something that Sakurai stressed a lot in this game. It was a goal after Brawl (swear I'll do that translation soon), and all the newcomers play very differently.
4. The easiest way to introduce new playstyles is new ips, as characters can reflect their game themselves.

So yeah I mostly agree with you.

I see, I can agree, but at the same time, I feel deep down Sakurai knows another Smash will happen eventually. If they weren't held back due to the mechanic then there is no reason to not add him, as Corrin proves recency isn't a problem.
Recency is the only reason Corrin got in, as said in the direct.

Edit: well not only, but it helped him get considered.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Will write a post later with reactions and my statement on Shovel Knight. I retweeted Tamaki's statement on the rumor on my Twitter.

Also pupNapoleon pupNapoleon that's the same logic people who believe there is more DLC for Mario Kart 8. Both aren't happening. After awhile it's just more profitable to make a new game. Sakurai said it himself in "Are Updates a Bad Thing?" there is no fake out. This is the end. The team is moving on.
I personally do not think there will be more dlc. I just think to ignore the possibility is to ignore the manner in which Nintendo functions.

Shroob

Sup?
@DMurr and I are in the camp that they very much wanted to add a third party via the ballot.

1. Sakurai's comments on working on different properties. It's mentioned in thr FE interview, it's a reason he left HAL.
3. Unique playstyle is something that Sakurai stressed a lot in this game. It was a goal after Brawl (swear I'll do that translation soon), and all the newcomers play very differently.
4. The easiest way to introduce new playstyles is new ips, as characters can reflect their game themselves.

Unless you're someone like @SmashChu.

HE WILL BUILD A WALL TO KEEP ALL THE THIRD PARTIES OUT TO MAKE SMASH GREAT AGAIN! :p

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I want to see peoples opinion on this, but do you guys feel like Bayonetta could come back for future Smash games?

It all depends if she gets another title by the time another game happens, personally. Along with that, it would be weird to cut a character that was specifically added because of fan support and love for the character. Besides those two questionable reasons, her being owned by Sega/Platinum Games makes things way easier, since Sonic isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I personally do not think there will be more dlc. I just think to ignore the possibility is to ignore the manner in which Nintendo functions.
I think the exact opposite. Nintendo has clearly moved on from Mario Kart 8 dlc, Mario Golf 3DS dlc, etc. DLC can't go on forever and it's unrealistic to expect any more DLC at this point. They make dlc and move on to make new games.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I want to see peoples opinion on this, but do you guys feel like Bayonetta could come back for future Smash games?

It all depends if she gets another title by the time another game happens, personally. Along with that, it would be weird to cut a character that was specifically added because of fan support and love for the character. Besides those two questionable reasons, her being owned by Sega/Platinum Games makes things way easier, since Sonic isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
I really hope she doesn't and I doubt she will.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Edit: well not only, but it helped him get considered.
I know, but by me saying that, I meant that recency wouldn't be holding back the inklngs, so it wasn't to late for them, which is why I said, it would make no sense to not have them unless something else affected their inclusion.

I actually want to say yes. She seems to be accepted a lot already, completely unique, probably the easiest 3rd party for them to get with how much content she has( although that may be related to going all out for a ballot pick), and she was literally described as being picked by the fans. How could you cut a character picked by the fans?

D

Deleted member

Because Sakurai didn't mention anything outside the B moves, I want info on aerials and tilts
He did mention Corrin's BAir tho
Well, anyways, I'm pretty sure we saw most of their moves
I don't think we saw Corrin's NAir tho
USmash and DSmash show up once
Most of them are easily identifiable
Bayonetta might need an analysis for her A moves
Gamexpalin will probbly do analysis for them later
Though you can always look at ZeRo's videos

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Eek if double.

I think Bayo's guns fly just under the radar of what one expects a 'real gun' to look like. As you yourself pointed out, Heavy's minigun is highly exaggerated, and I can't imagine a gun like Bayonetta's actually working in real life.

That, and I mean, they're also part of her shoes, which is kinda silly. Like, compare Shadow's gun to Bayonetta's, for example. Ow the Edge uses a fairly realistic pistol.
She has hand guns. Stop fixating on her feet. They too are realistic firearms.
Her hand guns cannot be called anything else.

Strofirko

Smash Master

If Nintendo and Sega stay with good relationships,and the Bayonetta IP stay safe,she will.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Eek if double.

She has hand guns. Stop fixating on her feet. They too are realistic firearms.
Her hand guns cannot be called anything else.
And yet you cannot deny their cartoon-y aspect. It's just as Golden pointed out. The Heavy's minigun is a 'gun', but it's not realistic in design. It is a 'real gun', but the cartoon-y aspect still makes it more comical than threatening in appearance. The closest thing to a real life gun that Bayo's gun could be considered to be a Derringer.

Honestly, Bayonetta's guns in Smash are no more violent than Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry, and both those used realistic depictions of revolvers and shotguns constantly.

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade

I truly hope her inclusion in smash boosts her popularity, hopefully getting her more future installments and makes her a character to stay.
I truly like Bayonetta as a character, so whenever the new smash happens, I really hope she can be added back, but that all depends on when the next smash is released and what happens to her and her games until then.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
It's kind of sad to think about any character being on the chopping block. They all have fans and most of them are great additions.

I think that's probably why this idea of an NX enhanced port has become so popular. Nobody wants to see any cuts. We're sitting at nearly 60 characters now. How do you reasonably top this?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
We would, but judging by your post history for the last day or so, no matter what we say, you've already made your mind up, so what's the point?
and wolf's a clone
:troll:

Seriously, Sakurai made it a point how uniqueness was a factor in DLC, which may be why no wolf.

And besides the ignore button, why can't smashboards have a feature to ban whiny spammers/trolls?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
PushDustIn PushDustIn I did read and kinda liked the article. Also since Smash Speculation is now over, will you guys start doing some for Pokken Tournament and other future Nintendo games?

I would love to see your guys thoughts on Star Fox Zero, Fire Emblem Fates, Hyrule Warriors Legends and other games as well. Don't have to be too Smash-oriented

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You shouldn't have to apologize as it was a reaction people. Those people are being a bit unreasonable, and like you said it's not like you hate the game, you just don't care for those characters. It's DLC, it's extra content. Its not going to market to everyone no matter how hard they tried. There's some characters in the base roster that people don't touch, and its the same thing.
True. True.

It's not like it was an easy upload or anything mwahahahahahaha

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
and wolf's a clone
:troll:

Seriously, Sakurai made it a point how uniqueness was a factor in DLC, which may be why no wolf.

And besides the ignore button, why can't smashboards have a feature to ban whiny spammers/trolls?
Two comments (now 3) in the span of hours= spam?
Making honest posts about what I think= troll?

Ok then.

Shroob

Sup?
True. True.

It's not like it was an easy upload or anything mwahahahahahaha
I think a bit of a reason towards the dislikes, and this is just my personal opinion, but I think a lot of people are just tired of the negativity already. We've been given a clear cut outline for what's coming, and, for the most part, people are neutral to okay with what we got, but, look around ANYWHERE and there's just soo much negativity and anger.

I understand your video was a reaction, and just an opinion of how you felt at the time, but I honestly feel that people are already sick of complaining people. I'm not saying you were complaining, but right now everything feels like its on eggshells. Give it about a week to blow over.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Two comments (now 3) in the span of hours= spam?
Making honest posts about what I think= troll?

Ok then.
When your acting like an insolent **** on the site, yes. Nobody came here to listen to you cry wolf or insult a franchise because your some whiny little kid looking for attention and to complain over dumb **** that doesn't matter.
That's what the report button is for. (Assuming they are legitimately being problematic that is. Otherwise, the ignore button is your friend.)
I've reported every post... It doesn't stop nuisances like that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Simple. Why ELSE would Lucas and Wolf have been cut? Also

It becomes spam when all of your posts are easily summarized as 'WEHWEH BAYO IS IN SMASH AND I DON'T LIKE HER'
Thank you for understanding. If your going to cry, do so in the corner of your bedroom and be mopey elsewhere.

And sakurai even said he would love to have all characters back, but time constraints prevent that. There is never an intention to cut anyone, it just has to happen sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom