• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
People were pissed at me for not being overly hyped about Corrin and Bayonetta. Last time I do a reaction video for awhile lol.

It's like look man. I don't really care for those characters. I'm happy for those who enjoy them but Im not going to fake my reaction you know?

I made an apology video to those I might have upset. Didn't feel like I would need to but the dislikes on my reaction are insane so I had to say something.

Didn't you hear? You have to hate everything about this game except hot flirty chicks with guns, who you must worship, because hot flirty chicks with guns are the only things that belong in video games. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I just thought of something while I was away.
We're getting both a FE character and Bayonetta (who could bump the rating to T if the smash presentation rating is anything to go by) around the same time.

We also, know that 3DS is getting two exclusive trophies.....there's a chance that at least the Wii U version will get the Tharja trophy...

I'm certainly not saying that it's likely, but I think it's a possibility.
I don't think we'll be getting any more content besides what was shown in yesterday's presentation.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
People were pissed at me for not being overly hyped about Corrin and Bayonetta. Last time I do a reaction video for awhile lol.

It's like look man. I don't really care for those characters. I'm happy for those who enjoy them but Im not going to fake my reaction you know?

I made an apology video to those I might have upset. Didn't feel like I would need to but the dislikes on my reaction are insane so I had to say something.

"But Con0rrr this is the internet, we have to always find a way to lash out at people!"

I honestly wouldn't have addressed those complaints, it shouldn't matter to them to begin with it.

Chrono.

Considering Bayonetta was the ballot winner, she's likely the slot added in September.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Wouldn't put that off either. Plus we see her walk onto the field after Yang did what Nora always wanted to do.
"Break a leg sis!" - Ruby

Neopolitan is Neo's full name or is that just a fan nickname?

Well, that makes more sense, considering we haven't even seen Neo in Volume 3 with only one small exception
Neapolitan is her actual name. And yes it's based on the Ice Cream

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

You shouldn't have to apologize as it was a reaction people. Those people are being a bit unreasonable, and like you said it's not like you hate the game, you just don't care for those characters. It's DLC, it's extra content. Its not going to market to everyone no matter how hard they tried. There's some characters in the base roster that people don't touch, and its the same thing.

So does anyone believe the 3rd slot that's been added before Cloud was revealed was the one occupied for Cloud Strife.
April - Cloud and Corrin
September - Bayonetta

This is the only way it makes sense.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've been checking out some Portuguese gaming websites. The reception to Bayonetta in Smash is quite positive with people even considering getting a copy of Smash to play as her.

I do wonder about other European gaming communities.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I don't think we'll be getting any more content besides what was shown in yesterday's presentation.
Make no nistake, I think that's most likely. I just find it odd that a new comer gets 0 trophies on the Wii U version.

D

Deleted member

Finally some Youtuber understanding the situation
Wouldn't put that off either. Plus we see her walk onto the field after Yang did what Nora always wanted to do.
"Break a leg sis!" - Ruby

Neapolitan is her actual name. And yes it's based on the Ice Cream
The naming themes of the series are interesting to say the least

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I doubt the Tharja trophy is coming. In fact, if I had to guess, they probably got rid of all it's data if they couldn't add it. Not like they really needed to keep it anyway.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Every character so far aside from Ozpin has a name related to a colour which is pretty much a rule to follow

Last edited:

Chrono.

Xenoblade X sold 40k in France.

That's pretty decent, considering everything.

Wonder how well it did elsewhere...

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
After thinking about it, you have to realize what Smash 4 has accomplished with it's character roster.

We have a game where Ness can fight Shulk, DK goes up against Charizard, Link against Cloud Strife, Captain Falcon against Sonic, Bowser and Ganondorf against Mario and Link, and even Duck Hunt fighting R.O.B.. On top of that, we have this match up right here.

:4mario: VS :4sonic:VS:4megaman:VS:4pacman:VS:4ryu:VS:4cloud:VS:4bayonetta:

No one can ever convince me that Smash 4 doesn't have the greatest character roster out of any fighting game out there.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

That ending though...

Very good points, it''s definitely something that needs to be considered!

D

Deleted member

Every character so far aside from Ozpin has a name related to a colour which is pretty much a rule to follow
Oh geez, I wonder why
It's not like he said he's older than he looks and told a story about a man that gave the maidens the seasons' powers
Though what does names like Jaune or Qrow have to do with colors?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh geez, I wonder why
It's not like he said he's older than he looks and told a story about a man that gave the maidens the seasons' powers
Though what does names like Jaune or Qrow have to do with colors?
"Jaune" is French for Yellow
Qrow's surname, Branwen, means "Blessed White Raven/Crow"

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Also, about the Inklings, you're all going on about "speculation" and "false logic", I'm talking about an ACTUAL QUOTE from Sakurai about relevancy. You guys need to realize that you're the ones speculating without any actual evidence.
You've missed my point though; Whatever Sakurai says is meaningless. He said he'd never implement a fighting character, and then gave us Ryu mere months later. He said he didn't even want to do DLC, and then gave us 7 DLC characters. Heck, he even flat out told us ZSS wasn't returning mere moments before telling us that was a lie.

He makes a game out of going back on his word. There's no sense in holding up rules to his process because the man is a work of chaos and revels in it. There are just as many counter-examples to the 'relevancy' clause as there are examples of it, and we're just going to have to deal with it.

TL;DR; there was never any basis to form any reasonable speculation to begin with. The best we can take away from the last year-plus in these threads is the good times and social interactions we had at its expense.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I guess that slot before Duck Hunt must been really meant for Pirate Ship. Did anyone datamine the 3ds version to see if Midgar was added after or before Duck Hunt?

D

Deleted member

It's funny to think that when the original final announcment was announced, I felt really underwhelmed. I think it was because I expected the final set of characters to be bigger. Duck Hunt and clones as the final were underwhelming.

But that started to change starting with the Mewtwo announcement. So thank goodness for DLC, the roster feels a lot more complete than it did before.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Remember when it was found out that the number of character placeholders had been increased?

I think that slot went to Corrin. Judging by Sakurai's statement, it seems it was something made as a sort of afterthought.

I think they had always planned 6 characters but decided to make 7.

The other possibility is that the added slot is Bayonetta, added after choosing a character from the ballot.
Here's what bugs me though... Corrin and Bayo both appear to be pretty far along in development.

Presumably, the ballot was open until October (right? I feel like I'm a bit fuzzy here). I doubt they could've got that much work done on her in just 2-3 months... which means they actually quit counting ballot results much earlier than they said they would

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

"Why your fighter lost the ballot"
Gives no reason why other popular characters lost. Heck even has Shovel Knight in the thumbnail.

Just gives the same reasons for Cloud that I've been saying.

Corrin relies on Japanese bias -- which is completely untrue as Corrin was selected before Fates was sold in Japan. Even then Fates still sold less than 1 million.

The ending was funny.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So I've noticed that the represented companies credits haven't been updated for :4corrin: & :4bayonetta: (trailers, official website, etc.)

On the DLC page of the official website, Corrin lacks "© Nintendo / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS" text that :4feroy: also has and NOTHING has been credited for the Bayonetta series (PlatinumGames hasn't been credited anywhere except for her official poster).

Kinda odd. Sure, they can update it later but still.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You've missed my point though; Whatever Sakurai says is meaningless. He said he'd never implement a fighting character, and then gave us Ryu mere months later. He said he didn't even want to do DLC, and then gave us 7 DLC characters. Heck, he even flat out told us ZSS wasn't returning mere moments before telling us that was a lie.

He makes a game out of going back on his word. There's no sense in holding up rules to his process because the man is a work of chaos and revels in it. There are just as many counter-examples to the 'relevancy' clause as there are examples of it, and we're just going to have to deal with it.

TL;DR; there was never any basis to form any reasonable speculation to begin with. The best we can take away from the last year-plus in these threads is the good times and social interactions we had at its expense.
No fighting game character is a misquote from Games TM.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's what bugs me though... Corrin and Bayo both appear to be pretty far along in development.

Presumably, the ballot was open until October (right? I feel like I'm a bit fuzzy here). I doubt they could've got that much work done on her in just 2-3 months... which means they actually quit counting ballot results much earlier than they said they would
Corrin wasn't the ballot but Bayo is most likely only in a presentable state and still buggy.

Cloud's fun as **** btw

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Corrin wasn't the ballot but Bayo is most likely only in a presentable state and still buggy.

Cloud's fun as **** btw
Also they didn't show any of the 3DS. They could still be working on that version of the game!

D

Deleted member

"Jaune" is French for Yellow
Qrow's surname, Branwen, means "Blessed White Raven/Crow"
I guess some of them aren't as obvious as I would have thought
Gives no reason why other popular characters lost. Heck even has Shovel Knight in the thumbnail.

Corrin relies on Japanese bias -- which is completely untrue as Corrin was selected before Fates was sold in Japan. Even then Fates still sold less than 1 million.

The ending was funny.
Tl;dr They didn't win because others did

And what does what you said about Cloud even have to do with the video?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'd be significantly less salty if Wolf got in over Roy.

I actually really like the addition of Corrin, though I still feel that getting the Inkling to represent Splatoon was more important then getting a character to represent FE: Fates.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

The ending was funny.
good points, as for Shovel Knight in the thumbnail. Probably because SK rumor was presented as a Nintendo Life thing, therefore he became a face for them and smash. The leak also lead to a lot more focus on him, so it makes sense to have him there as he was popular on the ballot. As for the reasons, yeah they were concrete, but the reason he used was that no character appealed to everyone in the world completely. therefore choosing one overall character was difficult. That's just my thoughts though.

I'd be significantly less salty if Wolf got in over Roy.

I actually really like the addition of Corrin, though I still feel that getting the Inkling to represent Splatoon was more important then getting a character to represent FE: Fates.
True, but I believe the reason why no inklings, was because of What sourcegaming said. The ink mechanic is complicated, therefore implementing it through a limited resources scenario, which made it hard to do, and Sakurai would want to bring justice to their character, so he probably has them in mind for next smash if/ when it happens.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just realized Bayonetta's final Smash is Smash's version of Reimu's Fantasy Heaven from the Touhou fighting games.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
This is how I think the process went
  1. Roy/Ryu development close to wrapping up, negotiations with Squeenix began
  2. Ballot opens, King K. Rool and Inkling get a strong start most likely, Mii Costumes born
  3. Cloud in development, FE: Fates around the corner and ideas for a FE: Fates rep being tossed around.
  4. Cloud close to finished, Corrin is decided, slot is added to work on Corrin
  5. Royucas Update releases, Mario 1 and 2 found (Cloud / Corrin)
  6. Ballot drawing to a close, Bayonetta is winning, Mario 3 added to the data, Mii Costumes of honorable mentions (Also Chocobo and Geno)
  7. Ballot ends, Bayonnaise is revealed and Feburary 2016 is the end date.
Smash 4 kept going strong for almost 3 years straight to make the All-Star Lineup we have since release.
Mr. Sakurai, I don't ask for much, but;
PLEASE
Take a LONG vacation after all is said and done.
You've made your mark in history. Go treat yourself to some nice dinner.
And take me with you, and treat me too.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You know, I saw a reddit post on why Smash 4 will be ported to the NX in the future:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3x3v3j/smash_4_on_wii_u_is_on_pace_to_be_the/

Thoughts?
There is one big flaw with this. The DLC. We need the sales of the DLC to factor into the games sales as well. This is because it adds on quite a lot to the price of Smash U so it should be factored into the sales. Also there's the 3ds version, which is meant to be combined sales wise with the Wii U ones. So if there is Smash NX( which I could see) it wouldn't be made because of this entry's sales.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I guess some of them aren't as obvious as I would have thought

Tl;dr They didn't win because others did

And what does what you said about Cloud even have to do with the video?
He gives pretty much the same justifications for Cloud that I've been given.
good points, as for Shovel Knight in the thumbnail. Probably because SK rumor was presented as a Nintendo Life thing, therefore he became a face for them and smash. The leak also lead to a lot more focus on him, so it makes sense to have him there as he was popular on the ballot. As for the reasons, yeah they were concrete, but the reason he used was that no character appealed to everyone in the world completely. therefore choosing one overall character was difficult. That's just my thoughts though.

True, but I believe the reason why no inklings, was because of What sourcegaming said. The ink mechanic is complicated, therefore implementing it through a limited resources scenario, which made it hard to do, and Sakurai would want to bring justice to their character, so he probably has them in mind for next smash if/ when it happens.
See I don't believe the ink mechanic held them back. Other people on Source Gaming do, but I don't. Sakurai doesn't hold back characters -- there's characters that don't make it in because it's too late (Olimar in Melee), moveset can't work (Villager in Brawl) but never because he was "saving them". Especially since Sakurai treats every installment as his last. Also the way most people invasion the ink mechanic wouldn't work on most stages/ situations in Smash. It would need to be toned down as all stages aren't Final Destination.

It was confirmed that popularity was not a factor for Connir so his apparent popularity in Japan (which Fates did okay, not amazing--as I see used copies for 2,000-3,000 yen already which isn't a good sign) had no bearing on his selection process. It was purely a desicion made by Sakurai and his team.

Anyway, I discuss more of my thoughts here. Oh and I talked about the SK rumor too.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
PushDustIn PushDustIn I woudl like yto know what you think of what I am about to say because i just want to be sure my conjecture aren;t false to think about.

Since it has been a day since the broadcast, i am going to tell my full thoughts and last speculations I have to say about it.

so, I am assuming that Cloud is a ballot slot and corin isn't. If I am wrong push, tell me because my theory rely heavily on that.

Basically, Bayonetta winning IS SURPRISING, but not impossible. I don;t believe anyone that says it was rigged, I do see her pop up from time to time so having a chance to have the most requests to me isn;t something that doesn't make sense and no matter how unlikely it is, it's still something you could think about. I had to get this out of the way because I personally lived the situation where i saw surprising data that were completely unexpected (it's about Paper Mario being very silently wanted) so I just will not make any theory on the fact they lied or anything and assume it would be the truth.

Now, my theory is how they used the ballot and the fact it is DLC, I feel that because of the characters being DLC, some special consideration were made. How I see the choices is the vets, self explanatory, i see a lot of reasons to add them as dlc if they didn;t had the time to do it. For Ryu, for SSB to be a fighting game and considering Sakurai's intent, I have the feeling he wanted that to happen a long time ago so again, i see reasons for it to be dlc.

Where it gets complicated is the ballot, I have a lot to say on these 3 slots because I have a very storng feeling they had special consideration.

I think DLC was more extra contents and ONLY extra contents. What I mean by this is I don;t think that DLC would matter as much as the other characters in how they change the "balance" of the roster. you could replace balance by terms like repping, or a theory I made on subsets, but what balance more is is the roster not having too much of something or lacking too much of something else, it;s very abstractive anyway.

What this means is corin being in, to me, I don;t even feel they actually considered much the fact that it would overkill the FE part of the roster (no matter how I see it, it is overkill and it honestly was already with roy, but at least roy being a vet, he had his reasons). To me, it feels more like they would add corin as a....."bonus", I wouldn;t say it necessarily is to promote his game, but it might have been a reason. His game coming however to me is a definite reason to why he got added, but the fact Sakurai didn;t really refused to the idea because of the repping of FE, that is actually very interesting.

Like either he didn;t felt it was overkill (which I really don;t think is likely at all, we are talking about the same person that didn;t wanted DDD in melee because of overrepping) OR it would be because the question wasn;t considered as much, that I feel would make much more chance considering it;s extra contents after all.

As for why it got chosen, push bring it a good point: playstyle. Me included, even if a lot of people were pretty "meh" when they saw another FE character (I wasn't), they really found his gameplay cool (me too!). Sakurai could have looked at the new FE game, looked at corin and basically say......"Oh, I think there;s something to do with this!" and he would do it. Like to me, it seems CLEARLY it was an afterthought and wasn;t goign to happen AT ALL in the original game release simply because on the original release, THEN I woudl feel the balance of the roster woudl be much more considered before making a choice.

Ok, now that I got corrin, next is cloud and tbh, I really don;t have much to say, but that decision ties to the Bayonetta case I will detail later. For cloud, being requested on the ballot to me is extremely plausible so I am not questioning it. The 2 things I will mention is he;s third party, and honestly I have a strong feeling he is almost the reason the geno costume even exist. See, I jsut don;t feel that ahving a popular SE character in the game and having a costume of Geno, who is owned by SE, but lost a lot of notability is a coincidence. to me, it really is agin, afterthought where Sakurai would work with SE to add cloud and then realise "Hey, btw, while we are there......" and then I don;t think I need to explain the story. Sort story, cherish this costume because i feel it;s an insane luck.

Now we get to Bayonetta, geez, i have a lot to say.

this is where I really got that DLC is REALLY extra contents. I saw a lot of arguments saying that her inclusion.....woulnd;t make much sense. Her games poorly sold is probably the msot notable one, but to me, if you base yourself on the ballot which is supposed to reflect marketting data, that alone is a reason tbh. Idk if it's because they didn't discarded spammer, that honestly, we will never know, but what I can tell is if I take what we knoe of the results as facts, that is a reason to include here and again, they had to check the ballot to see that so it HAD to be an afterthought (common theme here).

Now, the other interesting facts about it is she is too, third party.

I have the feeling they took third party characters in the ballot for the sake of them being extra (and third party feels much more extra to me, they aren;t even owned by the company). Push again, told a lot of time that contracting for these as DLC is actually much easier than on the release roster so, coudl be jsut a way to say that they chose them becuase of that. which btw @Awesomedude4444 if what I just said is accurate, that means I won by luck because that means I should have lost (I bet with him that not 100% of the remaining characters are third party, but the reason I bet was because of the ballot, i would think one first party came from the ballot).

Which relates to Bayonetta, I am not sure not this one, but what exactly did they meant by ONLY REALIZABLE CHARACTERS? That could either mean they cut troll votes or they actually intentionally cut feasible characters for other reasons. And that is what I think is what happened, I don;t think bayonetta was ENTIRELY chosen because of the ballot, there had to me something else which would relate to her being an extra. I think she would be third party that to be a reason, but I am not sure on that one.

But if I continue the reasoning, then I wondered what exactly was the point of the ballot if they woudl only try to get third party seems they were easier to do for now while they clearly said request anyone?

This is why I think if ssb5 happens that the ballot is going to be a major tool to decide the roster. I really have the feeling a lot of first party requests would be seriously considered as it;s goign to be the initial roster, not extra so decisions would be made depending on how people requests them.

that;s it PushDustIn PushDustIn that was my entire theory on how I think the choices happened. feel free to reply to it, because I really want to know if what I am saying actually makes sense from what you know.

Before I end this post, i jsut want to end on how I feel about Paper Mario in future games.

Assuming a new paper mario game hapens (which I really think is likely considering what he got lately), he is going to be a really serious contender. Paper Jam helped a lot, but it;s more the fact he got a lot lately and from what I know of his request, he is very consistently requested, it;s just silent, but tbh, if Bayonetta was silently wanted, I can;t see why paper amrio would be overshadowed by that. About the mario representation, well the games grow after each iteration so that leaves a bit more room, not to mention he still got a stage, giving him more chances.

But that;s all I can say, like this even assumes ssb5 exists while it clearly doesn;t.

that was maybe the last or maybe one of the last speculation theory I wrote, it was fun :)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
He gives pretty much the same justifications for Cloud that I've been given.

See I don't believe the ink mechanic held them back. Other people on Source Gaming do, but I don't. Sakurai doesn't hold back characters -- there's characters that don't make it in because it's too late (Olimar in Melee), moveset can't work (Villager in Brawl) but never because he was "saving them". Especially since Sakurai treats every installment as his last. Also the way most people invasion the ink mechanic wouldn't work on most stages/ situations in Smash. It would need to be toned down as all stages aren't Final Destination.

It was confirmed that popularity was not a factor for Connir so his apparent popularity in Japan (which Fates did okay, not amazing--as I see used copies for 2,000-3,000 yen already which isn't a good sign) had no bearing on his selection process. It was purely a desicion made by Sakurai and his team.

Anyway, I discuss more of my thoughts here. Oh and I talked about the SK rumor too.
I see, I can agree, but at the same time, I feel deep down Sakurai knows another Smash will happen eventually. If they weren't held back due to the mechanic then there is no reason to not add him, as Corrin proves recency isn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom