• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't get why people keep comparing me to the whiners.

All I do is make predictions that tend to defy what people hope for, and heavily criticize people's theories and ideas.

I seldom complain about choices made involving SSB4 itself, and on the off-chance I do, it barely even fills an entire post. I'm nothing like these crybabies.
Yeah, I agree. It doesn't make my sense

Also disclaimer, I wasn't comparing you to whiners, it's just that I've noticed a lot of people complain about your negativity. But like I said, you use good logic and reasoning. That's the whole reason why you have those negative opinions in the first place. Sometimes the truth hurts. :p I mean, we' may not look eye to eye. But I tend to get along well with people who civily disagree over obnoxious people who agree with me, I'd say.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Honestly, I went into the direct specifically wanting cool new unique movesets and that's exactly what I got.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I know I'm late for this but
(This isn't a meme I swear, be gentle Moderinos ; _; )

Found this adorable little picture when web surfing
Someone hand me some Monochromatic Santa Hats on that Kirby and Bayonnaise and I'll make it my Icon, please maybe? :kirbymelee:
Are texts and links even considered "meme posts"?
If the link is to a rickroll or the text is some random ****post out of nowhere, yes. :4pacman:
You know what would be funny? If a ton of Zelda, DK and Metroid reps are added to the series in the next game and then people start complaining about the director (Sakurai or not) having bias for those series :laugh:
I still want a Yoshi rep and some sort of F-Zero rep.
That way all the O12 would have buddies.
Kamek preferred.
Kamek please? :4pacman:

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I know I'm late for this but
(This isn't a meme I swear, be gentle Moderinos ; _; )

Found this adorable little picture when web surfing
Someone hand me some Monochromatic Santa Hats on that Kirby and Bayonnaise and I'll make it my Icon, please maybe? :kirbymelee:

If the link is to a rickroll or the text is some random ****post out of nowhere, yes. :4pacman:

I still want a Yoshi rep and some sort of F-Zero rep.
That way all the O12 would have buddies.
Shy Guypreferred.
Shy Guy please? :4pacman:
Fixed. :troll: Honestly though, Kamek would be cool

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Why people keep saying that fire emblem is niche. I don't think it's anymore, it sales well enough and more people are getting into it now more than ever it's not Mario or Zelda but it's up there.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Burb, what did you think of Bayonetta?
Very surprised, but happy.

More than made up for Corrin, who I was a bit let down by.

Why people keep saying that fire emblem is niche. I don't think it's anymore, it sales well enough and more people are getting into it now more than ever it's not Mario or Zelda but it's up there.
The problem isn't just that it's niche, it's that it's being put on the same pedestal as the likes of Mario and Zelda.

There are franchises that are a lot bigger than Fire Emblem that only got a fraction of the content it did, and that fact is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.

I'd say Shovel/Shantae. Pretty much interchangable.
I've seen more Shantae complaints than Shovel Knight ones.

Shovel Knight's complainers seem more localized, while Shantae's are widespread.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I feel weird, happy for Bayonetta, but also... empty, I just needed a popular Nintendo newcomer.
I'm not really sure if I'm going to be here for Smash NX or whatever speculation.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Fixed. :troll: Honestly though, Kamek would be cool
I, too, would love Shy Guy
Because of how much fun stuff he has (Mainly in Paper Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island, so much types of Shy Guys)
But then (ironically) Banana Dee supporters would be rolling in their sharks
So let's go with the main villain of the whole series.
Plus, +1 Mage User.
So that's nice :4pacman:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
<------ This is what I get for losing my bet. Fortunately, I already like this avatar. I don't know what it is but it looks good enough for me (and by far someone told me it's an horrible being of pure disgust)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lucas Amiibo came out a little early in some Japanese shops I think. Amazon also has him I think.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pretty much the same as the US.

Except with more "Where's Wolf?"and some salt here and there for going with a Europe/American choice. Though some people have pointed out that Bayonetta wasn't *that* expected.
So wait, they loved corrin, but hated Bayonetta?

If so that really is funny and even further shows you can't please everyone with one thing of DLC. Which is why it's great we got 3 waves of DLC, as there is something for pretty much everyone, and I am happy and thankful of Sakurai for all he's done.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So how likely do you feel Bayonetta 3 is?:4bayonetta:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

If so that really is funny and even further shows you can't please everyone with one thing of DLC. Which is why it's great we got 3 waves of DLC, as there is something for pretty much everyone, and I am happy and thankful of Sakurai for all he's done.
Not hated Bayonetta.
Corrin has been positive more or less, but you have comments about overkill for FE. Again, it's pretty much the same as here except in Japanese.

ChikoLad ChikoLad he's out today. I need to run to the store.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who wants to play Corrin soo badly? Like I mean I really want to hang to walls, and under the stages to troll people like a freaking monkey. His neutral B has a great followup, and HE CAN TURN INTO A REAL DRAGON!

He's like Twelve from SF3 with Animu and water in it.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Spam Warning

There's nothing for someone who wanted new non Fire Emblem Nintendo characters

EDIT: Dang it. I meant for, not fools

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Not hated Bayonetta.
Corrin has been positive more or less, but you have comments about overkill for FE. Again, it's pretty much the same as here except in Japanese.

ChikoLad ChikoLad he's out today. I need to run to the store.
Ah I see. Interesting that Japan itself finds the FE reps to be a bit much.
Not very.

She may have gotten in due to popular vote but Bayonetta 2 still didn't sell very well and I don't necessarily think Smash will change that.
So how likely do you feel Bayonetta 3 is?:4bayonetta:
I actually think the opposite of Sonicbrawler. While I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen, we've seen Smash add to a games popularity so it could help increase demand for Bayo 3. I think they are also able to handle it better and make it sell well overall because of smash and what they have learned in making the games.

Chrono.

My opinion on the final DLC wave:

When I learned that Kamui could shapeshift into a dragon I thought they'd translate well into Smash, I even said I'd like to see them in a future installment.

...Unfortunately, my opinion on Fates soured between then and now, so while they look great, I'm not too enamored of them yet (Hitori Omou's instrumental remix was great though).

Bayo is just a case of "never played her game" so she looks fun to me but I'm only really excited for her admittedly awesome looking stage (and the music, SO glad they included After Burner, SEGA Arcade stuff getting some love!).

Cloud is Cloud and I'm only really miffed that he got the short end of the stick when it came to the music.

As for the Mii Costumes, it was nice seeing Geno fans finally getting a bone thrown to them (and they seem to be taking the situation better than the Kutthroats are which is a surprise), somewhat surprised at the lack of an Indie costume, Tails (my most wanted character) and Knuckles looked pretty good but I feel like Amy should've been a costume for the Sword class bc it'd be hilarious. I don't use Miis so I won't buy any of them.

I know it won't happen but I'd really like to see full Ballot results, that's really the only other thing I want at this point. Other than that, I think DLC was solid overall.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ah I see. Interesting that Japan itself finds the FE reps to be a bit much.

I actually think the opposite of Sonicbrawler. While I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen, we've seen Smash add to a games popularity so it could help increase demand for Bayo 3. I think they are also able to handle it better and make it sell well overall because of smash and what they have learned in making the games.
The thing is I don't think Smash will help her popularity much.

Bayonetta got in due to a vote, apparently doing really well. Her game sales don't seem to add up with this though.

The only two ways I see that explain how this happened are:

A) Votes for more popular and well-known characters were just so spread out - 2 people wanted both K. Rool and Shovel Knight, for example, but one voted K.Rool only and the other voted Shovel Knight. On top of this, the characters that did beat her just weren't negotiable.

B) This isn't a stab at her character, I like Bayonetta - but I honestly think there was a large portion of people that voted with their unmentionables. It's no secret that Bayonetta is popular largely for her sex appeal. There may be more to her than that, but you don't know that if you haven't played the game/researched it and a lot of people do just kinda ogle her and not play her game. Especially when there are official promotions involving Playboy models dressing up as her, nude shots and everything. There may be people who don't play a lot of video games but know Bayonetta through the Playboy promotion and well...yeah. I mean it's not like the ballot had a restriction of only allowing you to vote on characters you've played the games of. Hell, one of my best friends voted for Bayonetta (and literally screamed when the moon came up in the trailer), and he hadn't played her games. He didn't even own them when he voted (he bought them a few months ago though and started the first game today). Now, my friend didn't vote for her based on the sex appeal, he just liked the look of the game and thought it'd be fun to have a character play like that in Smash. But there are plenty of people who could have voted for her due to pure sex appeal. That explains the dissonance of her being a "popular character who's games actually don't sell well at all".

Zynux

Smash Lord
Funny how Tharja was speculated to be removed because of the ratings yet we got Bayonetta in the end.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I think a lot of the salt could've been avoided had people just accepted Mii Costumes and existing in-game roles (Assists, Bosses, etc) as disconfirmation for DLC candidates.

People telling themselves they still had a shot in spite of all that did nothing but build up false hype and give them hope for something that wasn't happening.

Y'know, just like the Ridley shadow crap

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So I saw that some were already speculating Smash 5 earlier. I might be late, but here are my own unlikely predictions.
:4mario:In an attempt to continue keeping Toad out of Smash, Sakurai throws a dart at a board of random Mario characters.
It lands on Nabbit.
:4yoshi:Yoshi is Yoshi.
:4wario:Due to massive demand on the ballot, Waluigi make his miraculous debut as a WarioWare character. Thus he appears in Smash under the Wario banner, wearing his snazzy new biker outfit (and of course the classic overalls as an alt).
:4dk:DK is now a dead franchise, Diddy is cut and DK remains solely as a representative of the original arcade game. As a result, 75m is the only returning DK stage, now re branded under the Mario franchise along with DK himself.
:4link:Linkle appears in Zelda U and is now a staple of the franchise, so she is the new Zelda character for Smash 5.
:4samus:The Metroid franchise is removed entirely because Nintendo thinks people hate Metroid after Federation Force bombed.
:4pit:Dark Pit becomes Luigified, Viridi somehow becomes playable despite there being no new KI game since Uprising. Fans cry foul as Sakurai says it was due to high demand on the ancient ballot of legend-icus.
:4kirby:Kirby remains the same because Sakurai refuses to acknowledge anything he didn't make.
:4pikachu:Pokemon Trainer returns and now has Charizard, Greninja, and the fully evolved gen 7 grass starter. Mewtwo is cut again because someone at the Pokemon company got paperwork mixed up.
:4marth:Sakurai adds six more FE characters from games that aren't even in development yet. Lucina is cut but returns as DLC.
:4ness:Lucas stays this time because Mother 3 finally releases outside of Japan.
:4fox:Star Fox Zero is such a massive success that Nintendo demands Wolf be added back to Smash and a new character be introduced. Sakurai adds Krystal because of the new Star Fox Adventures sequel being worked on by Retro (which wasn't a Star Fox game until an aging Miyamoto mistook Diddy for Fox), who are currently in the process of being bought out by Sony. Sakurai also adds Slippy as a joke clone of Fox, he always trips. Always.
:4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: Ice Climbers make a miraculous recovery from the disease that kept them out of the previous Smash tournament. Sakurai starts running out of retro characters, so he combines Sheriff and Pong. Sheriff now has an edgy new design and fires Pong bullets that ricochet off of things. Despite being a cowboy, he wields a Pong paddle as a sword.
:4littlemac:Punch Out goes back into dormancy but Mac stays.
:4falcon:F-Zero NX is announced and then canceled, Sakurai is frustrated because he already started work on his F-Zero OC for Smash, so he reworks him into the first true Smash original character called "Dragon King." Of course, a Ganondorf clone.
:4villager:Villager remains a solo fighter. Sakurai contemplates making Isabelle a clone, but decides it's out of character.
:4olimar:Thanks to the amazing new specs of the NX, Olimar is able to have his entire army of 100 Pikmin, even within the new 30 player smash mode! Olimar has been reworked so that every single button just throws Pikmin.
:4wiifit:He-Fit Trainer is now his own unique character with an entirely different moveset.
:4shulk:Shulk is replaced by the avatar of Xenoblade X. Can't have too many rpg characters, now.
:yeahboi:Splatoon is no longer fresh and Inklings are cast aside. Kamiya makes a new game starring Takamaru, who then joins the battle despite many complaints of "SMASH IDIOTS!" No other new Nintendo franchises join.
:4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4bayonetta:Nintendo buys Sega and Capcom, leading to Smash 5 being renamed Project Smash Zone & Knuckles Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.
:4pacman:Namco continues developing Smash 5. Isaac from Chrono Gears Saga is added as a thanks to them. :troll:
:4cloud:A deal between Squeenix and Nintendo goes bad during the production of Super Mario RPG 2, so both Cloud and the newly promoted Geno are cut mid development and replaced with Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi. Koei is pleased.
:substitute:A new fighter ballot takes place, but this time it's just Sakurai drawing names from a hat. Unsurprisingly, the hat is filled with names of Fire Emblem characters. Against all odds, Earthworm Jim was the name that was grabbed.
:snake:Konami goes out of business and their IPs go for auction, Kojima immediately snatches each of them up. Raiden makes his grand return to PS All-Stars Battle Royale 2 as DLC. Silent Hills resumes development.
:4mii:Miis no longer exist on the NX, so Sakurai combines the Mii fighters into a single entity who becomes self aware and starts turning characters into trophies as he sends his legion of robots to detonate bombs that absorb the world around them.

On a serious note, doesn't seem like there's anything to stick around for. Though this is the only forum I frequent anymore, so I don't really have a place to go either. Guess I'll just hang around advertising to get business.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think a lot of the salt could've been avoided had people just accepted Mii Costumes and existing in-game roles (Assists, Bosses, etc) as disconfirmation for DLC candidates.

People telling themselves they still had a shot in spite of all that did nothing but build up false hype and give them hope for something that wasn't happening.

I agree with everything but the Mii costumes.

Those aren't "in-game roles" for those characters (i.e. that character actually physically showing up and interacting with playable fighters). Just Miis dressing up as them. There's also the fact current fighters have outfits as is.

There was no logical reason to think a Mii DLC outfit of a character not playable, couldn't later be made playable. Especially with Sakurai's unpredictability. People think they find a pattern and he will break it.

People still shouldn't throw a hissy fit over K. Rool not being in the game or whatever, but at the same time, I feel it was reasonable to still accept someone like K. Rool as being a possibility regardless of the Mii outfit.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's odd knowing there are forthcoming unreleased Smash characters but not feeling any excitement towards picking them up.

Am looking forward to Bayo stage though.

Right in the end or not, at the time I don't think it was a whole lot better to definitively assume they were nails in the coffin either, at least without a statement confirming as much. I think people should've just taken them as a marked decrease in odds... but as an outright deconfirmation would still be fairly presumptuous. Unlike bosses and assists (which I agree on), there was precedent of overlap with Mii costumes and the playable roster.

And that's coming from someone who did argue that K. Rool was less likely after the Mii costume (Inklings too but for other reasons as well).

The trouble is people don't like taking an agnostic approach with their predictions. It's either all or nothing for many.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
To be fair, unlike the shadow (which I must admit I believed because hope), the costumes weren't as direct disconfirmation than the shadow. Now we know they were, but at the time we had no real way to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom