• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
One 3rd party character who I've always wanted to get into Smash over their much more popular counterpart is Zero, from the Mega Man Zero series specifically.

I know Zero from the X series has had a bunch of different weapons in Mega Man X8 and abilities seen in TvC and MvC3/UMvC3, but I've always thought the weapons Zero has like the Shield Boomerang, Z-Knuckle, Triple Rod, Chain Rod and the Recoil Rod in the Mega Man Zero series made him more inherently interesting to me in terms of moveset potential.

Now I should probably make one now that I think about it XD :p
qedwoo.jpg

I so want Zero in Smash. But i know that it will be impossible now.:c Oh well, we have still a Mii Costume and a trophy of him i guess.....Also, i will be interest to see what idea for a moveset you could come with. :)

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Here's a game inspired by real life events. :p

Lately lots of folks here have been on an iconic video game character love-fest since Cloud's reveal, myself included. So imagine: some billionaire benefactors commission a team to build an all-star fighting game. Using their riches, licensing fees are a non-issue, and they hire some of the best in the business to work on the game for all major systems. All that's left is the roster. That's where you come in.

Rules for the game:

You are to create an all-star fighter roster full of iconic video game characters, but to keep it a challenge as opposed to a pure wishlist, there are some ground rules.

- The starting roster is only sixteen characters. DLC can come later if sales warrant it, but assume you're only getting those sixteen. Make 'em count.
- No company, due to the sixteen character limit, can get more than two characters. This is to maintain roster diversity.
- No single series can have more than one character, so adding both Mario and Luigi, or Sonic and Tails, won't be able to occur.
- While not a mandate, and more so a guideline, do try to make your roster a diverse as possible as far as gameplay, as well.
- Because it'll be on all major consoles, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft must have a presence.

Under these regulations, who do you pick? Tried to make it as challenging as possible to encourage some thinking. :p
I'll take your challenge!

Mario
Donkey Kong
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Pac-Man
Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Crash Bandicoot
Simon Belmont (Castevania)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
Master Chief (Halo)
Chell (Portal)
Steve (Minecraft)
Kratos (God of War)

I indicated the series except where it's named after the eponymous character.

If we get DLC, I imagine it as being the following:

Spyro the Dragon
Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Professor Layton
Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet)

If we can break the "2 reps per company" and "1 character per franchise" rules for DLC, I could also imagine the following:

Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Link (Legend of Zelda)
Pikachu (Pokémon)
Bomberman
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

For a grand total of 26 characters.

Nintendo gets four reps, Microsoft and Sony get two, Konami, Square Enix and Capcom get three, and you get some "surprising picks" like Chell and Layton that make sense and provide unique gameplay.

Nathan Drake was not included as I felt he was too similar to Lara Croft and she's the bigger icon, and Banjo was not included because Microsoft owns Mojang, technically making Steve the second Microsoft character, and he's incredibly popular but wasn't as big of an influence as Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, or Crash were the Platforming genre of their day.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

Lately lots of folks here have been on an iconic video game character love-fest since Cloud's reveal, myself included. So imagine: some billionaire benefactors commission a team to build an all-star fighting game. Using their riches, licensing fees are a non-issue, and they hire some of the best in the business to work on the game for all major systems. All that's left is the roster. That's where you come in.

Rules for the game:

You are to create an all-star fighter roster full of iconic video game characters, but to keep it a challenge as opposed to a pure wishlist, there are some ground rules.

- The starting roster is only sixteen characters. DLC can come later if sales warrant it, but assume you're only getting those sixteen. Make 'em count.
- No company, due to the sixteen character limit, can get more than two characters. This is to maintain roster diversity.
- No single series can have more than one character, so adding both Mario and Luigi, or Sonic and Tails, won't be able to occur.
- While not a mandate, and more so a guideline, do try to make your roster a diverse as possible as far as gameplay, as well.
- Because it'll be on all major consoles, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft must have a presence.

Under these regulations, who do you pick? Tried to make it as challenging as possible to encourage some thinking. :p
Even though I think it being on all consoles means 1st party nintendo wouldnt be in I'll bite
Every company gets either one major character and one niche or just one major character
Nintendo: Mario and Prince Jorkin
Sony: Ratchet w/clank and Leonard (white knight chronicles)
Microsoft: Master Chief and Blue dragon protagonist
Capcom: Ryu and Vanessa (PN03)
Sega: Sonic and Bayonetta
Namco: Jinpachi (Tekken) and Lloyd Irving
Square Enix: Sephiroth and Emil (Nier)
Vanillaware: Momohime (Muramasa) and Amazoness (Dragons Crown)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I approve of your PN03 reference Dravidian. That is such an underrated GameCube game (not for the whole "I have a whole bunch of skimpy outfits" part, as I couldn't care less about that, but it has good gameplay)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm getting REALLY sick of the stupid Oni in Yokai watch

Interrupt my play and randomly send me to some alternate dimension where I have to run from danger

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really wish 3DS had a cheating device like the previous hand held systems just because there is a lot of annoying things in yokai watch

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Mega Man Zero moveset time.

Neutral B /Side B - Fires lemons similar to Mega Man. Hold B to charge for a stronger projectile. Flame, Ice and Thunder compatible. Burst Shot - Flame buster fires a fiery buster shot that does more damage at the expense of fire rate, while the fully charged version has increased damage and knock back.

Blizzard Arrow - Ice has increased fire rate, can freeze enemies if more than 5 hits connect. Fully charged version instantly freezes opponents on hit and takes the for of an arrow, though it takes a while for it to come out and has less knock back.

V-shot - Thunder chip buster fires a horizontal buster shot that separates into a V shape that has the default fire rate. Good at eating away at small shields. Fully charged Thunder buster shot crumples on hit good at eating away at large or fresh shields.

Side B variation allows for movement while charging/ firing buster shots.

Up B - Rising Heaven/Ascension Slash. A move where Zero leaps up and uses his sword in a rising upward slashing fashion.

Down B - Elemental Chip Change. Changes elemental chips, has different effects on different moves. Goes in the order of: Normal, Flame, Ice and Thunder.

AAA/ Jab combo - Same triple saber slash Zero normally does in his games. Non-elemental.

Forward Tilt - Same walking slash Zero does when moving forward and pressing the Sabre attack button in his games. Non-elemental.

Up Tilt - Soul Launcher. A move where Zero thrusts out his Recoil Rods above him, sending out a projectile as well. Flame compatible, chip does extra damage.

Down Tilt - A fast move that sends out a small shockwave projectile in front of Zero. Non-Elemental.

Nair - Crescent Air Slash. A multi-hitting attack where Zero spins around while holding out his blade hitting both opponents in front and behind him. Non-elemental

Fair - An aerial disjointed slash in front of Zero. Non-elemental.

Bair - Energy chain. A large disjointed move where Zero throws his Chain Rod behind him. Has a random chance of healing life. Non-elemental.

Uair - A fast move and powerful move that thrusts out both of Zero's Recoil Rods. Non-elemental.

Dair - Falling Fury/Crag Fang. A powerful attack where Zero comes down and sends rocks flying both in front and behind him when he lands. Thunder and Ice compatible. Thunder stuns the opponent on hit and does great shield damage, while Ice freezes the opponents when hit.

Forward Smash - Zero performs his signature fully charged Z Sabre attack.

Up Smash - Swings his Triple Rod around him like a battle staff. Multi-hit, nullifies certain weaker projectiles, while it deflects stronger projectiles. Tip of the Rod also covers behind him. Non-elemental.

Down Smash - Circular Shield. A move where Zero sends out his boomerang shield that spins around him, nullifying weaker and deflecting stronger projectiles. Stays out loner the more it is charged. Non-elemental.

Grab - Zero thrusts out his Z-knuckle to grab foes. Decent Range, fast speed.

Pummel - Zero hits foes with the hilt of his Z Sabre.

Down Throw - Zero throws his foe on the ground and shoots them with multiple buster shots. Damage dependant on chip type.

Back Throw - Zero's primary kill throw. Pushes his foe behind him and swings an axe at his foe.

Forward Throw - Another one of Zero's more potent throws. Slashes at the opponent with Death Pierce.

Up Throw - Zero throws the opponent into the air followed up by a burst or a 3 way bomb.

Aerial Grab - Chain Rod.

Here is what makes Zero really unique. Zero can throw his chain Rod in any 8 directions in the air by merely pressing a direction + grab. This can be used to close in on the enemy by directly grabbing them with the aerial grab while in the air and immediately closing in on them for a follow up. Similar to Spider-man's Web Glide in MvC3/ UMvC3. It can also be used to hang onto walls once they are grabbed by the Chain Rod and can act as a tether to grab the ledge.

Wow, I spent way too much time on this lol XD :p

Thoughts?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I approve of your PN03 reference Dravidian. That is such an underrated GameCube game (not for the whole "I have a whole bunch of skimpy outfits" part, as I couldn't care less about that, but it has good gameplay)
I never got to play it, but it always looked fun to me. I tend to really click with odd games like that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mario
Link
Sonic
Master Chief
Steve
Kratos
Nathan Drake
Mega Man
Ryu
Cloud
Lara Croft
Sora (he's Disney, so :p)
Snake
Gordon Freeman
Crash
Pac-Man

easy.
It's kind of funny; of the ones posted, your list was the closest to mine, with 14/16 matching. :laugh:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Rules for the game:

Let's see...
  • Mario
  • Pikachu
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Mega Man
  • Ryu
  • Cloud
  • Snake
^ All of these are in Smash already, heh.​
  • Sora
  • Kratos
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • One of the Assassin's Creed guys
  • Lara Croft
  • Captain Price (For all its notoriety, CoD should have a slot)
  • Some Halo guy

:231:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's see...
  • Mario
  • Pikachu
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Mega Man
  • Ryu
  • Cloud
  • Snake
^ All of these are in Smash already, heh.​
  • Slime
  • Sora
  • Kratos
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • One of the Assassin's Creed guys
  • Lara Croft
  • Captain Price (For all its notoriety, CoD should have a slot)
The only issues here would be that Square Enix got three characters (three and a half with Sora) here while Microsoft got zero. :p

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only issues here would be that Square Enix got three characters (three and a half with Sora) here while Microsoft got zero. :p
Wait, 3 and half? Cloud, Slime and ..?

I'm terribly unfamiliar with Microsoft games except Zoo Tycoon, so yeah. I'll fix it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno obvioualy

Edit: I know he wasn't on the list

But it's something that doesn't NEED to be said

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I don't want to read too much into it but I think the beginning of the trailer for Cloud might of been a tease or troll move by Sakurai and I might go a little far with this and it may have been for us Wolf fans because from the time the broadcast is which is next month to the time of planned release for StarFox Zero which is April that is about 4 months.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's kind of funny; of the ones posted, your list was the closest to mine, with 14/16 matching. :laugh:
Hey not bad, you were only two away from the correct roster! ;D

I don't want to read too much into it but I think the beginning of the trailer for Cloud might of been a tease or troll move by Sakurai and I might go a little far with this and it may have been for us Wolf fans because from the time the broadcast is which is next month to the time of planned release for StarFox Zero which is April that is about 4 months.
The beginning of the trailer was a reference to the opening of FF7. I wouldn't read into it any more than that.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Hey not bad, you were only two away from the correct roster! ;D

The beginning of the trailer was a reference to the opening of FF7. I wouldn't read into it any more than that.
Yeah I retract my statement at the same time I didn't know because I''ve never played FF I remember Cloud from KH honestly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to imagine Cloud's Advent Children alt was at the insistence of SE. I don't see why Sakurai would opt to include it, especially since DLC characters have been pretty barebones in terms of additional content so far. Plus it's not even tied to a game, let alone a game on a Nintendo system, it's from the movie.

It'd be like if we had gotten that well excuuuuuuse me princess kid as an alt.

Not that I'm complaining!

JESUS! I need a bandaid, cause I cut myself on that edgyness
Ehhh it's no worse than any other representation of Cloud since he stopped taking his antidepressants.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Rules for the game:

Hey, this actually seems fun.

1. Mario (Nintendo/Super Mario)
2. Pikachu (Nintendo/Pokemon)
3. Sonic (Sega/Sonic)
4. Pac-Man (Bandai Namco/Pac-Man)
5. Ryu (Capcom/Street Fighter)
6. Jill Valentine (Capcom/Resident Evil)
7. Master Chief (Bungie/Halo)
8. Lara Croft (Square Enix/Tomb Raider)
9. Snake (Konami/Metal Gear)
10. Commander Shepard (BioWare/Mass Effect)
11. Banjo & Kazooie (Rare/Banjo-Kazooie)
12. Gordon Freeman (Valve/Half-Life)
13. Rayman (Ubisoft/Rayman)
14. Ratchet & Clank (Insomniac/Ratchet & Clank)
15. Sarah Kerrigan (Blizzard/StarCraft)
16. Crash (Naughty Dog/Crash Bandicoot)

I think I got some good diversity in there without being too predictable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Rules for the game:

Nintendo
1. Mario
2. Link

Sega
3. Sonic
4. Nights (it was huge on Sega Saturn)

Capcom
5. Mega Man
6. Ryu

Square Enix
7. Cloud
8. Slime

Konami
9. Snake
10. Simon Belmont

Namco
11. Pac-Man
12. Heihachi

Sony
13. Kratos
14. Sackboy

Microsoft
15. Banjo-Kazooie
16. Master Chief

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't think you could say that the Shovel Knight rumour is dead, by its nature it won't technically die until Smash DLC is finished (be it in December or beyond that).

I do however think it took a big hit with Cloud being revealed before him. The timing was already being strained as it was, and we're pretty much guaranteed to not hear anything until next month now. Time, while not a major factor WAS still a factor. It's not completely impossible for it to still turn out legit, but I think we're at the point with it now where there is more than enough doubt about it to be able to speculate without really baring it in mind. Logically speaking, Shovel Knight should have been revealed next to familiarise him with as many people as possible before releasing him. The whole continent of Japan is unfamiliar with him, and he's not exactly Ryu over in Europe and America. I can't imagine releasing him on the day of his reveal ala Ryu/Roy would be a good business strategy.

Either way, I expect Smash DLC to go out with a bang. I think looking at the evidence, that Third Party newcomers is the main focus of the DLC. I don't expect any 1st Party newcomers, with the only feasible exception being the Inklings (not because of Rogersbase, because of their success).

Considering how shocking Cloud's reveal is, I truly think there's something incredibly special waiting for us around the corner. Hell, who expected Cloud, really? Even Sony couldn't get him for PSAllStars. Third Party characters are where the true hype lives. Who's to say that Sakurai won't do the impossible again. Maybe a certain Honey Bear and his Breegull friend aren't that farfetch'd?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Now that the direct is over, you guys have 24 hours to submit questions for the upcoming SourceCast. The Source Gaming team and Ash Paulsen will try to answer as many questions as we can. Either PMing more, to quoting this message will ensure that we get the question.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why is his sword wrapped in...bandages? Tape? Is it falling apart? This isn't the worst design in KH but it's pretty silly.
Disney didn't like having their characters in proximity to such a big blade so Squeenix used protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom