• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Don't lump me in with it. I've basically given up on both tbh lol.

Also can now use Grey/Blue/Purple for my banner combo. Today is a good day~
You were brought up in the post I was replying to, so I assumed you were still involved. My apologies.

For RogersBase, I just think Inkling's might make the most sense. I never reported the RogersBase rumor because I never fully understood the source.
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Inklings getting in wouldn't confirm RogersBase. They were predictable and have been consistently viewed as a frontrunner for the majority of the ballot's lifespan.

The leak promised a Splatoon-based Nintendo Direct on a specific date that would end with a Smash trailer for either Inkling or Shovel Knight. We got nothing on that date, and the Nintendo Direct we ended up getting had a segment on Splatoon DLC and a Smash trailer for Cloud Strife. Literally nothing anyone involved in the RogersBase leak reported was correct other than "There will be a Nintendo Direct and it will have Splatoon stuff and a Smash trailer", which are all things we'd expect anyway. The few things it got right were a given, and every single thing that would be harder to predict ended up being wrong.

I suppose I can understand the reasoning for Shovel Knight not being written off (a perfect track record is nothing to sneeze at), but "I think Inklings make sense" is a completely invalid reason to justify not considering RogersBase dead.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And that's not "leaked," they were shown the information legitimately. For it to be a leak, it would need to be out for us all to find out. It wasn't, so it was not leaked. A few industry people knowing and not talking is not a leak.
Except.....yeah, industry people who aren't Sakurai and his team knowing anything about Smash prior to it's release, is in fact a leak.

Just because you and I don't know, does not magically not make it so.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Except.....yeah, industry people who aren't Sakurai and his team knowing anything about Smash prior to it's release, is in fact a leak.

Not necessarily. A "leak" is unwanted distribution of information. If they wanted the info to be revealed to specific people then it's not a leak. At least that's how I see it.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

It's in the word. How is it a "leak" if the information distribution was kept under control?

I can pretty much say that, yes, because we didn't know means it was not a leak.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So, when Mewtwo released we found five unused character data slots.

Fast-forward to last month's update and we got a third, meaning that the first two were definitely in use for characters that were planned pre-ballot (as we didn't find out about the ballot until Mewtwo's release, at which time those character swerve already being worked on as evidenced by the placeholder data).

We now know that Cloud was one of those characters, likely having been worked on in some capacity since before Mewtwo released.

For this reason, and especially considering that Ryu and Cloud are huge iconic 3rd-parties, and that we have placeholder data for two more stages as of last month, I strongly believe that the other character being developed in tandem with the other DLC characters from the beginning is also a hugely iconic 3rd-party that isn't Snake.

Who would qualify to be so iconic?

Lara Croft
Crash Bandicoot
Simon Belmont

Why these three? Lara Croft was revolutionary for the time, being one of the most influential and successful female protagonists in the history of video games. Plus with the reboot she's still relevant today and has a much more varied Arsenal should she make it to Smash (if there was one character that Sakurai were to include and make an exception on RL weapons for, it'd have to be Lara considering the dual pistols would not only be unique gameplay-wise but are iconic to her character). Plus, with Squeenix owning her rights and Nintenso already working with them for Cloud, she's a super-huge gaming icon that wouldn't be that difficult to squire the rights to.

Crash Bandicoot was just as much a part of the Gaming Mascots Rivalry as Mario and Sonic, even for some time surpassing both in popularity. Crash is one of the most iconic characters of the early PS age that unfortunately has faded in relevancy in recent times. If he were to appear in Smash, it would completely the Platforming Mascot Triumvirate and reintroduce newer ganers to this staple of the early Console Wars.

Simon Belmont is one of the most beloved classic characters of all time, I'd say, and Castlevania simultaneously, along with Metroid, creates and defines an entire genre of gaming. There's a reason it's called Metroidvania, and Simon was the first and is definitely the favorite of all the olayable cast throughout the series. His signature whip would definitely bring something new to the table, and to be able to have an epic battle between Samus and Simon, the two characters to inspire a lot of games well into modern times, would bring a lot attention.

If the second pre-ballot placeholder character is an iconic 3rd-party, I can guarantee you it's one of these three. Consider how for as huge and unexpected Cloud was, he was the tease for a special Smash Direct. The tease! We're getting something as equally huge and unexpected, or moreso come December, and while we're all putting some stock into these characters now because of Cloud, tell me that they wouldn't be just as hype, unexpected, and massively iconic?

The third placeholder slot we have was found after last month's update, so whoever this character is has been worked on for at least a month and a half at this point, if not started right after the previous update a month before. That gives us about three-or-so months from start to reveal in next month's Direct. That leads me to believe that it's either Snake or Wolf who can have assets ported from Brawl and be made fast like Lucas (Wolf being more likely due to no legal hoops to hurdle and having Fox and Falco as a base to work from like Lucas had Ness and Roy had Marth and Lucina), or someone like Dixie who's popular and can be semi-cloned in a reasonably short amount of time.

There's also the possibility that it's a ballot character like King K. Rool or Inklings who will be revealed but not released, but I doubt that.

What I do believe, however, is that one rumor about the ballot characters: Wolf (already could fit the third a lot we found), K. Rool and Bomberman. We get Cloud, Lara/Crash/Simon, and Wolf released, and then King K. Rool is revealed as a ballot character, to be released later. Bomberman may or
may not be revealed at this point, and since we're at five characters and both Wii U and 3DS can fit six more characters, I'll throw Inklings into the mix as a hugely successful and popular request since they were revealed and even moreso now with the success and popularity of Splatoon.
----
This is my theory, and I'm not even worried about being disappointed in the end result because I over-speculated because I'm okay with whatever we get as long as we get something. Cloud proves we can't predict Sakurai but he gives us the hypest things we never knew we truly wanted.

We round out the DLC at 10/58, being a little less than 10% of the roster, while we get 7/58 3rd-party iconic gaming legends, and end with four of the most popular veterans wanted to return and two of the most requested and popular newcomers.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If those insiders got the knowledge before hand of a way that was not intended. That is in fact a leak of information.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Huh?! Does Cloud have eyes on the back of his head or something? :estatic:
...Crap you're right.
Well I feel stupid.

But I still think he's looking a bit too passionate at his arm. ...Is there something you want to share with us Cloud?

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
If those insiders got the knowledge before hand of a way that was not intended. That is in fact a leak of information.
I'm not saying you're wrong (or right), but going so broad basically makes the word lose its meaning. Under that logic, everything everywhere has probably been leaked in some way.

Is there any reason to believe any insiders got knowledge illegitimately, anyway? Or is this discussion completely pointless?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno why, I think it may be the weather

But I've been REALLY depressed the past couple of days

But it's not a normal depression

It's kind of a ...REALLY apathetic toward everything depression

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
One 3rd party character who I've always wanted to get into Smash over their much more popular counterpart is Zero, from the Mega Man Zero series specifically.

I know Zero from the X series has had a bunch of different weapons in Mega Man X8 and abilities seen in TvC and MvC3/UMvC3, but I've always thought the weapons Zero has like the Shield Boomerang, Z-Knuckle, Triple Rod, Chain Rod and the Recoil Rod in the Mega Man Zero series made him more inherently interesting to me in terms of moveset potential.

Now I should probably make one now that I think about it XD :p

Last edited:

Chrono.

One 3rd party character who I've always wanted to get into Smash over their much more popular counterpart is Zero, from the Mega Man Zero series specifically.

I know Zero from the X series has had a bunch of different weapons and in Mega Man X8 and abilities seen in TvC and MvC3/UMvC3, but I've always thought the weapons Zero has like the Shield Boomerang, Z-Knuckle, Triple Rod, Chain Rod and the Recoil Rod in the Mega Man Zero series made him more inherently interesting to me in terms of moveset potential.

Now I should probably make one now that I think about it XD :p
You're not the only one.

I've always wanted Zero, specifically that Zero but yeah I know he's never getting in and Capcom rarely use it over the X counterpart so RIP

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Don't bother pming me for more information. Anything that I can talk about public, I will. I won't provide anyone with additional details just because it's in PM. It's kind of unfair for everyone else. I realize the position I'm in with this kind of information, and I need to respect it so please do the same. I'm not trying to mislead the community. If you've read three posts on SG then you would know that. If I didn't think there was good enough reason that the SK rumor could still be true I wouldn't tell you that I still possibly believe it.

Right now the only I think he can't get in is because of personal bias.

I don't think he's iconic enough, something I've said since the start of the ballot.

I think if SK was in the game, they would announce him before hand so Japanese users could get introduced to him before he's on sale.

However that's just based on opinion. Granted an informed one, but still an opinion.

As Burb Burb said a perfect track record is nothing to sneeze at.

As for RogersBase, like I said I never got a clear picture of the source or who it was. I don't know if the source was on some team, part of the media team or what. But I will admit that that rumor should probably be considered dead. The issue with rumors is sometimes speculation gets interjected into them (sometimes on the source, sometimes on the reporter). So there's that issue too.

For Cloud, there were a couple of people on Neogaf and one guy on Gamefaqs that knew. I'm guessing once it got to NoA it got leaked but that's just my personal speculation.

Speaking of Cloud, I don't think he has an English voice. They wouldn't have subbed his trailer if he had one.

Also, I personally don't expect any more SE costumes. Would have made sense to put them in the trailer (especially if the costumes were other FF characters).

Chrono.

Also, I personally don't expect any more SE costumes. Would have made sense to put them in the trailer (especially if the costumes were other FF characters).
This... is something I was afraid of (and kinda ignored amidst all the hype).

Also I had a scary thought, but I really ****ing hope the full update doesn't get datamined before the next Presentation again (since it'll likely be in the NUS beforehand, I'm wary...) I know RTB won't leak again, but he's not the only dataminer around.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't believe in the rainbow theory. Lol
Really? I thought you subscribed to that idea when you were supporting Frogger, of all people, for the color green before Cloud occupied the color green. What happened? :p

a small leak is sill technically a leak. . . just because your pipe is only dripping doesn't mean it isn't broken.
Sakurai did state that there will be more info on Cloud in December. I honestly think it's more likely we get more during the smash presentation than having multiple costumes tacked onto a reveal trailer.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
a small leak is sill technically a leak. . .

Sakurai did state that there will be more info on Cloud in December. I honestly think it's more likely we get more during the smash presentation than having multiple costumes tacked onto a reveal trailer.
Where did he say that? Was it twitter or something?

Chrono.

a small leak is sill technically a leak. . .

Maybe he'll be a Ryu situation and bring other JRPG dudes as costumes, not necessarily from FF though.

Where did he say that? Was it twitter or something?
. . .special smash presentation in December"

Unless translation ****s with the grammar he is referring to his difficult request, Cloud.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a game inspired by real life events. :p

Lately lots of folks here have been on an iconic video game character love-fest since Cloud's reveal, myself included. So imagine: some billionaire benefactors commission a team to build an all-star fighting game. Using their riches, licensing fees are a non-issue, and they hire some of the best in the business to work on the game for all major systems. All that's left is the roster. That's where you come in.

Rules for the game:

You are to create an all-star fighter roster full of iconic video game characters, but to keep it a challenge as opposed to a pure wishlist, there are some ground rules.

- The starting roster is only sixteen characters. DLC can come later if sales warrant it, but assume you're only getting those sixteen. Make 'em count.
- No company, due to the sixteen character limit, can get more than two characters. This is to maintain roster diversity.
- No single series can have more than one character, so adding both Mario and Luigi, or Sonic and Tails, won't be able to occur.
- While not a mandate, and more so a guideline, do try to make your roster a diverse as possible as far as gameplay, as well.
- Because it'll be on all major consoles, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft must have a presence.

Under these regulations, who do you pick? Tried to make it as challenging as possible to encourage some thinking. :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why has not one single person drawn Cloud! Kirby.

Kirby with spikey blonde hair and a sword that is twice his size.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's a game inspired by real life events. :p

Lately lots of folks here have been on an iconic video game character love-fest since Cloud's reveal, myself included. So imagine: some billionaire benefactors commission a team to build an all-star fighting game. Using their riches, licensing fees are a non-issue, and they hire some of the best in the business to work on the game for all major systems. All that's left is the roster. That's where you come in.

Rules for the game:

You are to create an all-star fighter roster full of iconic video game characters, but to keep it a challenge as opposed to a pure wishlist, there are some ground rules.

- The starting roster is only sixteen characters. DLC can come later if sales warrant it, but assume you're only getting those sixteen. Make 'em count.
- No company, due to the sixteen character limit, can get more than two characters. This is to maintain roster diversity.
- No single series can have more than one character, so adding both Mario and Luigi, or Sonic and Tails, won't be able to occur.
- While not a mandate, and more so a guideline, do try to make your roster a diverse as possible as far as gameplay, as well.
- Because it'll be on all major consoles, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft must have a presence.

Under these regulations, who do you pick? Tried to make it as challenging as possible to encourage some thinking. :p
Mario
Link
Sonic
Master Chief
Steve
Kratos
Nathan Drake
Mega Man
Ryu
Cloud
Lara Croft
Sora (he's Disney, so :p)
Snake
Gordon Freeman
Crash
Pac-Man

easy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We need to message Microsoft and be like

"Yo, Microsoft. Sony's all got advertisement characters in Smash.

You need to up your game. Get Banjo or Master chief in smash"

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mario
Link
Sonic
Master Chief
Steve
Kratos
Nathan Drake
Mega Man
Ryu
Cloud
Lara Croft
Sora (he's Disney, so :p)
Snake
Gordon Freeman
Crash
Pac-Man

easy.
I'd place Pikachu over Link.

Mario and Pikachu are recognisable even in places where Nintendo has no presence whatsoever, like Africa and Arabia. NES Bootlegs and the Pokémon anime are that widespread.

:231:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
We need to message Microsoft and be like

"Yo, Microsoft. Sony's all got advertisement characters in Smash.

You need to up your game. Get Banjo or Master chief in smash"
If that ever happens, I am up for Banjo. Besides, in my mind, I think he has a shot. Who knows what is gonna happen as a next reveal.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yokai watch is apparently a pokemon killer

Just use Jibanyan instead of him

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing I hope for is that the Direct comes early December. I think I'll die from hype if I have to go 2-3 weeks into December with no news.

I'm already trying to get through November asap.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd place Pikachu over Link.

Mario and Pikachu are recognisable even in places where Nintendo has no presence whatsoever, like Africa and Arabia. NES Bootlegs and the Pokémon anime are that widespread.

:231:
To each their own, Link has gotten more recognition as a video-game icon even if Pikachu has more general prolificacy.

If I could have three from each company, believe me they'd both be up there.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
November DOES have the worst time of year

Black Friday

I always dread november

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Also what if one of the Mii costumes is a Moogle? I wonder what reaction people would get when they see that.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Why has not one single person drawn Cloud! Kirby.

Kirby with spikey blonde hair and a sword that is twice his size.
Huh? I've seen plenty of Cloud Kirby art on twitter actually!

too lazy to dig deep into my feed though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom