• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
He was said to be the next character released. Which means he'd release before cloud as stated. Which seems improbable. Yes he could release with Cloud, but why would there be such a huge time frame between the leak and his announcement. Plus if they all release at the same time how would no one about cloud and only sk?
Basically Cloud pretty much kills the leak.
Wouldnt that completely depend how the leaker was involved in the project?
Does the leaker even work at nintendo/namco?

I mean if the leaker is a pencil pusher that's one of many people that helps contact 3rd parties then it's completely possible. The little guy deals with the indie (how much negotiating would be needed to convince YCG to let SK in?) and papa Sakurai or a higher up does "Sakurai Magic" to get Cloud.

Additionally, we (to my knowledge) have no idea which character was negotiated first (assuming SK is in). We don't even know who approached who when it comes to Cloud. For all we know Square Enix approached Nintendo about FF7 on NX during E3 and brought up Cloud possibly getting in Smash.

And I also think Nintendo would be a bit more tight lipped about Cloud than SK (though admittedly that shouldnt matter...NDA's and whatnot)

Anyway, does the leaker/source ever say how the info was gotten? Because if not then there's plenty of scenarios where one could know one and not the other.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
First, it's not a leak, it's a rumor. Second, Tamaki was only told of one character. It is possible that the actual person who told Tamaki only knew of one guy, but not the rest. Not something I'm banking on, mind you.

Honestly, I'd say it's dead once the DLC drops and he's only a Mii costume or not there at all. I consider this the most likely scenario(not there at all), and even as much as I want SK, I do agree he isn't that iconic enough. That said, Sakurai has been known to break his own guidelines before, so... who knows what'll happen.
While I know Tama prefers rumor, I honestly don't see the difference, but alright.( and yes I know how it will be describe differently but both are used the same around here so it's not a big deal) and yeah it is possible he only knew of one guy, but a key part was how it was being mentioned through different parts of the media, so how does one characters name get out and somehow not the other if they both are meant to be released soon?
And a SK costume would be cool, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if there was none.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
ya know what im going to make a wild prediction with little to no facts for the december smash broadcast
just to see how much comes true if anything
Characters:13
Cloud
Wolf
Snake
King K.rool
Isacc
Fiora
Jibanyan
Wonder red
young link
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Pichu
Ice climbers(wiiu exclusive)

Stages: 8
Midgar
Shadow moses
Venus Lighthouse
Downtown Springdale
Blossom city skys
Greatbay temple
Saffron city
Summit(wiiu)/wii fit studio(3ds)

i have updated this because its 1 am i can afford to be crazy

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wouldnt that completely depend how the leaker was involved in the project?
Does the leaker even work at nintendo/namco?

I mean if the leaker is a pencil pusher that's one of many people that helps contact 3rd parties then it's completely possible. The little guy deals with the indie (how much negotiating would be needed to convince YCG to let SK in?) and papa Sakurai or a higher up does "Sakurai Magic" to get Cloud.

Additionally, we (to my knowledge) have no idea which character was negotiated first (assuming SK is in). We don't even know who approached who when it comes to Cloud. For all we know Square Enix approached Nintendo about FF7 on NX during E3 and brought up Cloud possibly getting in Smash.

And I also think Nintendo would be a bit more tight lipped about Cloud than SK (though admittedly that shouldnt matter...NDA's and whatnot)

Anyway, does the leaker/source ever say how the info was gotten? Because if not then there's plenty of scenarios where one could know one and not the other.
I could be wrong but I don't believe we know the main leakers background, but multiple sources backed up the claim. I could see him only knowing one, but I have to imagine it's a team that manages 3rd parties, not one guy takes one 3rd party and so on. but besides that point, as far as I know, the main leaker had no connection to Nintendo or Namco.

Chrono.

ya know what im going to make a wild prediction with little to no facts for the december smash broadcast
Characters:9
Cloud
Wolf
Snake
King K.rool
Isacc
Fiora
Jibanyan
Wonder red

Stages: 6
Midgar
Shadow moses
Venus Lighthouse
Downtown Springdale
Blossom city skys
Do you know how much that would cost lol?

My wallet is literally sobbing hysterically at this post.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I know Tama prefers rumor, I honestly don't see the difference, but alright.( and yes I know how it will be describe differently but both are used the same around here so it's not a big deal) and yeah it is possible he only knew of one guy, but a key part was how it was being mentioned through different parts of the media, so how does one characters name get out and somehow not the other if they both are meant to be released soon?
And a SK costume would be cool, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if there was none.
That's the thing. I don't find this entirely plausible. However, one thing to note is we know that leakers don't always give away everything. He may have only put one thing out to avoid being caught.

Again, i'm currently on team fake at this point, but I have to be open to other possibilities, as it's in my nature. Neutrality is what I prefer, even though anyone can tell you I have bias up the wazoo.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Characters:9
Cloud
Wolf
Snake
King K.rool
Isacc
Fiora
Jibanyan
Wonder red

Stages: 6
Midgar
Shadow moses
Venus Lighthouse
Downtown Springdale
Blossom city skys
This would be pretty awesome. I was actually thinking (and I don't really believe in this), what if part 2 of the yokai watch skit, ties into a smash reveal of jibanyan? Unlikely but why does it need a second part and why show it outside of a direct if the first one was in it to begin with. This only began to appear in my mind when I thought about how weird and random that skit was. IT was almost like a commercial break but not.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I could be wrong but I don't believe we know the main leakers background, but multiple sources backed up the claim. I could see him only knowing one, but I have to imagine it's a team that manages 3rd parties, not one guy takes one 3rd party and so on. but besides that point, as far as I know, the main leaker had no connection to Nintendo or Namco.
Yeah. That's the other thing. That's why I don't feel this adds up. Maybe the guy used to work somewhere, but doesn't now. So Tamaki still took his friend's word, as he found him credible respectively.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
(the most standard example I can give would be making an official unified tier list)
Hiss.....

I was so glad we didn't have a tier list.

The moment we get one is the moment people stop experimenting.

T.T

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That's the thing. I don't find this entirely plausible. However, one thing to note is we know that leakers don't always give away everything. He may have only put one thing out to avoid being caught.

Again, i'm currently on team fake at this point, but I have to be open to other possibilities, as it's in my nature. Neutrality is what I prefer, even though anyone can tell you I have bias up the wazoo.
This is true, leakers have done this in the past. I'll keep my mind open about it, but I find it unlikely, and even though I said, I don't believe it will happen, a Sk mii costume would be cool.
Yeah. That's the other thing. That's why I don't feel this adds up. Maybe the guy used to work somewhere, but doesn't now. So Tamaki still took his friend's word, as he found him credible respectively.
Yeah, it definitely seems to be missing some pieces if true. Either way we will know soon enough.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Hiss.....

I was so glad we didn't have a tier list.

T.T
Not at liberty to talk to much, but rest assured, it won't be for a long while still anyway. Not like it'll magically pop up over night.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bisexual people never stop experimenting. :awesome:

This is true, leakers have done this in the past. I'll keep my mind open about it, but I find it unlikely, and even though I said, I don't believe it will happen, a Sk mii costume would be cool.
I'd be okay with this, mainly cause he is a pretty notable character now.

Yeah, it definitely seems to be missing some pieces if true. Either way we will know soon enough.
We'll figure out this puzzle some day. :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That would mean Shovel Knight would be released before Cloud/Presentation Character 1/Presentation Character 2 (as in, within the next few weeks out of the blue), assuming he isn't one of the latter two. In that case that he is one of the latter two, how would he be "the next character to be released" then? He would be "one of the next set of characters to be released" instead.
Before or with. I strongly believe that the next three characters will be released together, not much different than the E3. The problem with this rumor(and the reason there is so much confusion) is that so much of it has been filled in with speculation based on how the information was obtained.

After Cloud managed to not get leaked, I have a hard time believing anyone else got leaked at all.

And It's not even just Cloud either, all the DLC characters beforehand have not been leaked by some sort of inside source (Ryu and Roy were datamined, completely different story).
Lol Cloud got leaked, it's just that everyone kept their mouth shut this time. How many people have come out saying they knew about Cloud? At least 4 or 5 that's public.

If it's a SK costume than the rumor is false as the rumor states it's a character.

^ This, seriously. Mewtwo was the only standalone DLC character thus far, and he was quite obviously an exception since he was initially released as a free bonus to players who bought both versions of SSB4.

Cloud and the remaining DLC characters are more likely to be released in the same manner as Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were. In which case Shovel Knight would not be "the next character to be released". He'd be part of a wave. If we count characters individually, Cloud is the next one because he was revealed first.

I don't know what you and Neo were told or shown to make you cling onto this (and RogersBase for that matter) so hard, but this is really starting to feel like the 4chan Ridley/Chorus Kids/Mewtwo/Dixie leak and Tower of Smash all over again. No matter how much evidence against these rumors piles up, nothing is enough to kill them.

Normally your judgment is spot-on, but I just can't get on board with the SK/RogersBase rumors. They had something going for them a month ago, but that time has passed.
For RogersBase, I just think Inkling's might make the most sense. I never reported the RogersBase rumor because I never fully understood the source.

For Tamaki, the source has a proven history. If they are wrong about this then it will be a first. I wish I knew it was wrong or right, as I'd like to know one way or the other as I'm done reporting on rumors.

If I knew it was wrong I'd tell you guys so we could move on. It just isn't yet.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lol Cloud got leaked, it's just that everyone kept their mouth shut this time. How many people have come out saying they knew about Cloud? At least 4 or 5 that's public.
I mean... There's Jwitz and The Completionist.

Who else knew?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
@KenboCalrissian Since there were not six characters, I expect you to play and record this stage! (I tried to make it really hard, but the problem is that I'm not good, so I had to make it easy enough for me to beat lol.)
9421-0000-00E8-5038

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
For Tamaki, the source has a proven history. If they are wrong about this then it will be a first. I wish I knew it was wrong or right, as I'd like to know one way or the other as I'm done reporting on rumors.
It just isn't yet.
It would be a first that you are aware of. A shadowy source getting something wrong is not as reported as them getting something right.

Also, is Roger still saying Inklings are coming? I'm not really keeping up.

Chrono.

If it's a SK costume than the rumor is false as the rumor states it's a character.
They may have known the character beforehand, but it didn't leak to the general public.

Not to mention most of these people knew only a week in advance (at least JWittz and Jirard did)

That being said, can't count it as a leak when Nintendo themselves tell you the info.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
And the moment people start judging a character's worth because of a graph.
I saw someone literally say that Cloud was a worthless addition because every other swordfighter is "garbage tier" so yeah.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Speaking of :4cloud:.

What playstyle will he have?

We know next to nothing about him.

Also haven't done this yet so...

:4mario::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

What playstyle will we have?

Can't wait to try him out, he seems to have a cool charge gimmick and his Limit break specials look insane.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

I'm thinking it's if Ike and Shulk had a kid, and he had a giant sword.
At least, that's what I got from the trailer.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
If the trailers give us an idea (despite how little), he may be a strong swordsman with elemental attacks that can boost his current moves. One of them produces a projectile energy that can be used to hit opponents at range. I'm waiting for his magic to be explained in the Dec presentation.

Sorry, FF fans if my basic terminology didn't fully reflect the character. I never played FFVII

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wanna know what's up with the summons? Are they on the Midgar stage? Are they part of his moves?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I wanna know what's up with the summons? Are they on the Midgar stage? Are they part of his moves?
Most definitely a stage gimmick, the summon animation is his taunt. If he could just summon them anytime then he would be the most broken character in existance. :p

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

What playstyle will he have?

Looks like a mid range "zoner" to me.
He's not slow, but he's not fast either.
As such he wants you near the outer range of his sword.
He projectile takes up a lot of space and look like it'll eat smaller ones, so you cant run from him either.
Approaching him from above looks like a no-no since it seems he has good anti airs so his focus is grounded mid-range.

This is just an assumption of course.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Who else knew?
Some guy on Neogaf the day before the direct heavily hinted at Cloud, though he called him "Luke Skywalker". The hints in his post were heavily Cloud base though, saying it was to celebrate Episode VII, and Blonde hair.

He also mentioned the "Bespin Station" stage.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Most definitely a stage gimmick, the summon animation is his taunt. If he could just summon them anytime then he would be the most broken character in existance. :p
is it, though?
there was a screenshot showing one of the materia floating around
i think it may be akin to the thing on golden plains

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Seeing Cloud's projectile made me kinda salty admittedly, because I had a very similar move in mind in Shulk's moveset. I wanted Monado purge dammit

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
is it, though?
there was a screenshot showing one of the materia floating around
i think it may be akin to the thing on golden plains
That's part of the stage gimmick as far as I could tell. Whoever breaks it first gets the summon or something along those lines.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Please Sakurai, let the last DLC characters be out of these four. Please.
Wolf, Banjo-Kazooie, Inklings, and Snake.

I think I'm making a prediction.

Help! I'm starting to believe my own hypothetical DLC list. This is bad.

But really, how perfect would it be if they saved Snake for the very last minute of the Smash Direct so he can say "Kept you waiting, huh?" Not only would he be the final announcement of the direct, but also the final DLC character. It's too perfect.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Who else knew?
And that's not "leaked," they were shown the information legitimately. For it to be a leak, it would need to be out for us all to find out. It wasn't, so it was not leaked. A few industry people knowing and not talking is not a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom