• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That was just an example lol

I'd go with Nohr as well if I had to choose.
Fates has lots of problems that I am certain IS and Nintendo are willing to listen to. In my opinion, here are the biggest changes I'd like
Less restricted samesex S Supports, only 1 per gender is pretty bad
Less fanservice. This is a BIG one. Fire Emblem did well without this, Awakening's marketing made it succeed, not teh bewbees
No more kids, unless you want to pull an FE4
Give Anna more supports

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I''m probably going to go with Hoshido so I can max my characters out. Nohr doesn't allow that.

I'm not happy with that decision though

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So apparently in the new chapter of Dragon Ball Z Piccolo is participating in some kind of interdimensional tournament with the likes of Vegeta and Goku? Who at this point are gods?
Just goku and vegeta.piccolo and buu are just kinda their.While that other guy is the strongest guy berrus ever fought

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

About the Pokemon 20th's monthly distribution, I still didn't figure who is the Mew of the 6th Generation : Diancie or Hoopa ?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
im honestly thinking of skipping fates partly because of the names both versions have

conquest...nuff said you never hear good things about a Conqueror
birth right...well despite being the technical goodside it just sound villainus
like how many times has a evil character used their birthright as an excuse to do evil ****?

honestly ill probobly get the special edition if only because it lacks an out right evil sounding name plus three games in one cart?
good deal in any sense of the word

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I''m probably going to go with Hoshido so I can max my characters out. Nohr doesn't allow that.

I'm not happy with that decision though
You couldn't do that in all the old FE games either though. By the way, another few issues I have
Fates has lots of problems that I am certain IS and Nintendo are willing to listen to. In my opinion, here are the biggest changes I'd like
Less restricted samesex S Supports, only 1 per gender is pretty bad
Less fanservice. This is a BIG one. Fire Emblem did well without this, Awakening's marketing made it succeed, not teh bewbees
No more kids, unless you want to pull an FE4
Give Anna more supports
Make battle themes and field themes their own tracks, don't try to mix the 2. the DLC tracks in Awakening would pause when outside of battle but play when you were in one. Not shabby!
Better recruitment theme
Make Arenas worth something. Granted, Casual and Pheonix Mode make them gamebreakers, but simply have the Arenas either give less rewards or something, though Shadow Dragon's style of arena would be prefferable

kylexv

Smash Master
About the Pokemon 20th's monthly distribution, I still didn't figure who is the Mew of the 6th Generation : Diancie or Hoopa ?
Probably Diancie. I really don't see something like Hoopa's Unbound form in this group.
What I'm more confused about is what 5th gen's "Mew" is: Victini or Meloetta

D

Deleted member

I guess this hasn't spread yet.
Late reply but
Seeing Braixen in here makes me happy because I can say "don't use another game to predict this one's" aka assuming everyone from Smash will be playable
Jigglypuff is definitely not going to be in Pokken
And at the same time, it proves assists don't mean much(as there is a Fennekin one)
But as for the actual fighters
-Braixen: finally a Gen 6 one, also the first non-final evolution Pokemon since Pikachu itself. Braixen was always my favorite of its line so it's cool to see it
-Garchomp: GET READY FOR THE SHARKNADO CAUSE YOU ABOUT TO BE ASS *****
-Mewtwo: I call this one "Luigi in SSF2". Or even "Mega Man with a new moveset also in SSF2". Pick your poison

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
On the whole #FE while I don't agree with the way they went.The game looks very fun and interesting.People are way to harsh to people who enjoy this game. I don't think your an otaku for enjoying the game I think your just more willing to enjoy the game for what it is

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
On the whole #FE while I don't agree with the way they went.The game looks very fun and interesting.People are way to harsh to people who enjoy this game. I don't think your an otaku for enjoying the game I think your just more willing to enjoy the game for what it is
If you enjoy the game, more power to you, I won't judge. It's just so...wrong in my eyes, it makes me feel uncomfortable

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so in pokken news an interesting thing to note is that of the 18 types only normal, bug, and rock are unaccounted for
now if they want to go all out and have 1 pokemon from every gen and 1 pokemon from each type that means
we have at least 3 mons left

and now for each type i will pick 3 pokemon who have what i consider the best chance of getting in
normal- lopunny, vigoroth, ursaring
rock- tyranitar, aggron, tyrantrum
bug- herracross, scizor, galvantula

Chrono.

so in pokken news an interesting thing to note is that of the 18 types only normal, bug, and rock are unaccounted for
now if they want to go all out and have 1 pokemon from every gen and 1 pokemon from each type that means

and now for each type i will pick 3 pokemon who have what i consider the best chance of getting in
I'd be okay with any of the bugs you listed.

Vigoroth would be kinda hilarious

The rocks are aight too.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I'd be okay with any of the bugs you listed.

Vigoroth would be kinda hilarious

The rocks are aight too.
if i had to pick a 4th for each it would be snorlax, terrakion, and scolipede
for various reasons obviously

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I like these choices
btw, am I the only person who wants Maractus in Pokken?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
i dont see the problem with #fe because the complaints against it are the same ones that caused megaman powered up to fail and that was one of if not the best psp game to come out i mean it had a level editor for crying out loud

why deprive yourself of a good game because of how it looks?
Powered Up! I wouldn't say is the best comparison as it didn't alienate the MM fanbase nor did it radically change the gameplay/story, not that the graphics weren't one of the leading factors.

#FE looks great visually IMO. Where I'm stuck is that: one, the concept/setting/design has next to nothing to do with either series it draws from and feels like what is was forcefully thrown in. Second, IDK how the game itself actually plays, all I see in trailers is interacting in the overworld, dressing up stereotypical seinen anime characters, and singing/dancing.

Graphics fall under that first impression category, you see a game before you play it. In all fairness, it's probably less and less of an issue given the rise of the internet compared to the 8bit/16bit days of solely going by the cover art/Nintendo Power/Brand. To be honest one of the reasons I just can't get into really anything from Square Enix is that I don't like the artstyle/character design of most of their titles. Heck I'd be lying if I said FE13/14's artstyle didn't effect my overall thoughts (too much brown, no moving character portraits).

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Honestly, Japan feels like it's going to collapse in on itself.

Birthrates have been in a steep decline in Japan, and the otaku sub-culture is partially to blame. Men don't need real womenz when they got their waifus.
Men who aren't interested in romance are called "grass-eating men", and probably outnumber the otaku population.

Otaku subculture is still niche and relatively self-contained. (Though it depends on if you include ALL of the otaku populations, then they probably outnumber the grass-eating men. When most people say "otaku" they mean the anime/video game otaku. I have a buddy who is a rock-otaku, but he's married and has 3 kids.)

There are actually a number of reasons why Japan's birthrate is declining.

1. It's a common trend for modernized countries. A lot of European countries will face the same issue in the coming years. People are too busy to have kids. Women are more likely to be working and want to have careers.

2. Most people live very close together, and because of that tend not to have many children. Not every family is like that, but you tend to find them more in the cities. Since I teach in the country side, I have some families that are doing their best to keep the average up for everyone else (4+ kid families!). But there's space here.

3. It's difficult to immigrate here. Japan's not very welcoming to foreigners who want to live here forever. Japan is still very homogeneous.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Believe it or not, America is going to have the same probably soon

Edit: At least that's what they talked about in sociology

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Believe it or not, America is going to have the same probably soon

Edit: At least that's what they talked about in sociology
Here's a graph that shows the Crude Birth Rates (I added Japan, US, UK, and China). This takes the live births minus the deaths per year to show much the population increases per 1,000 people.

Japan is in lot worse shape (The current US/UK/China numbers are comparable to the 1984 numbers), especially when considering Japan's total population size.

The US is on a decline, but it's kind of hard to fully tell if it'll even out or not.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So here's a small question.

What do you think are true issues with this community as a whole when it comes to stuff like speculation? I mean this in the vein of selection bias, echo chambers where only few characters are deemed acceptable and/or likely, etc.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Project X Zone 2 getting a demo on the 21st.
The demo looks to be the same as the Japanese version so:

Pair units:
Reiji & Xiaomu
Chris Redfield & Jill Valentine
Kiryu & Majima
Jin & Kazuya
Dimitri & Morrigan

Support units:
Phoenix Wright & Maya Fey
Heihachi

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So I just woke up and saw CoroCoro:

Garhomp is an great addition! Sounds fun to play as.

Braxien is also cool, very unexpected but should be a neat fighter.

Regular Mewtwo is great to have as an option instead of Dark Mewtwo.

I wonder who is getting revealed on the 15th?
Hoping for another unrepped type.

And for the Last thing:

"It was also announced that next month's issue of CoroCoro, due out on February 15th, will have a World Exclusive Scoop Poster and a major announcement that will affect the entire world for the movie."

I called this 100% yesterday that they would tease us with Big news. I also banked on it being Z and still do. While the wording is strange( specifically the part about it affecting the whole world for the movie), I still predict that it will be Z.

It could affect the movie but making volcanion connected to Z somehow. Also their scoops are never word for word( Here's looking at you volcanion is big news for 2016). Actually let's think about that statement a moment...

Volcanion was big news for 2016, his movie is going to have world changing news.

There is definitely something big being planned for him. I don't know what yet, but I think it will tie back to Z. It could go with my theory yesterday that all mythical pokemon could be big factors in Z, hence why they are re releasing them.

Anyway I think we are most definitely getting Z next month based on this, and all the marketing adding up to a February announcement.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so i just used the best logic in trying to convince someone that swampert is going to be the pokken reveal
"trust me im made of water i know things"
can you tell im lacking sleep?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Okay.
I'm up.

In short.

1) With #FE, I am still going to buy it and I feel no qualms with it no matter how people bash it. The gameplay sells me and even for crap like Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Atlus TRULY tries for the story. They have a HELL of a lot better room to do so in this game. Flashy idol crap isn't going to make me shun it. And I'll still defend it for combining elements of the series together instead of slapping characters together in one world and then ultimately team up because you'll have Gharnef teamed up with Lucifer.

2) With Pokken...
Braixen - Good. Delphox is a damn disappointing evolution for it and I'm GLAD to get a more mid-size mage that looks better.

Garchomp - Not surprised but it is in my pool of least liked Pokemon so whatever.

Mewtwo - Kinda just expected a skin for "Shadow' Mewtwo but fine.

STILL BANKING ON GALVANTULA ON FRIDAY.

Also B-day to moi.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't even know what audience the #FE crowd is going for.

SMT fans hate it
FE fans hate it
Persona fans hate having their series attached to it for no reason
The Okatu/weeaboo audience don't even like it (they have limits, surprisingly)
Japan doesn't even care for it considering the sales are awful

That game is a massive black hole is weirdness that nobody knows who it wants. But the biggest thing about it is that the Gameplay is the best thing about it.

****, it's Arcana Hearts all over again

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I don't even know what audience the #FE crowd is going for.

SMT fans hate it
FE fans hate it
Persona fans hate having their series attached to it for no reason
The Okatu/weeaboo audience don't even like it (they have limits, surprisingly)
Japan doesn't even care for it considering the sales are awful

That game is a massive black hole is weirdness that nobody knows who it wants. But the biggest thing about it is that the Gameplay is the best thing about it.

****, it's Arcana Hearts all over again
I think it's because people took one look at Persona 4 specifically and started drawing whatever parallels that game has to #FE.
Probably wrong on that though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think it's because people took one look at Persona 4 Dancing All Night specifically and started drawing whatever parallels that game has to #FE.
Probably wrong on that though.

Fixed it for you. P4 wasn't even this stupid.

The idol BS came from that game having a ****ing dancing spinoff. That's it and people drew comparisons to that.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just thought of something else the movie news could mean. What if the theories are true and Z expands the kalos dex? As in the past the movie could showcase new mons.

Since this would be the first time a 3rd game added new mons it could be considered world shattering and shock the whole world?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Fixed it for you. P4 wasn't even this stupid.

The idol BS came from that game having a ****ing dancing spinoff. That's it and people drew comparisons to that.
Listen.
Coming from an SMT/Persona fan.

What I've seen of #FE is less stupid than DAN. FAR so.

P4 DAN is the story of how a professional idol trained her friends to have comparable skills to her in the span of less than a month and end up dancing so well in an alternative TV World in which you literally can't use any natural form of combat that the rampant shadows have their entertainment needs met and just kinda disippate while saving a group of idols whose group theme is how they're all various pieces of meat and literally every one of them (except the namesake of the group) is faced with the crisis of thinking their idol personality is overwhelming their own identity (RE-HASHED 4 TIMES IN THIS GAME FROM RISE'S DUNGEON IN THE ORIGINAL) and ultimately DANCE SO WELL THAT AN ACTUAL DIETY JUST GIVES UP THEIR EVIL PLAN.

Edit: ANYONE challenge me on any part of this not being factual and I will cite it in-game.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Listen.
Coming from an SMT/Persona fan.

What I've seen of #FE is less stupid than DAN. FAR so.

P4 DAN is the story of how a professional idol trained her friends to have comparable skills to her in the span of less than a month and end up dancing so well in an alternative TV World in which you literally can't use any natural form of combat that the rampant shadows have their entertainment needs met and just kinda disippate while saving a group if idols whose group theme is how they're all various pieces of meat and literally every one of them (except the namesake of the group) is faced with the crisis of thinking their idol personality is overwhelming their own identity (RE-HASHED 4 TIMES IN THIS GAME FROM RISE'S DUNGEON IN THE ORIGINAL) and ultimately DANCE SO WELL THAT AN ACTUAL DIETY JUST GIVES UP THEIR EVIL PLAN.

Edit: ANYONE challenge me on any part of this not being factual and I will cite it in-game.
I never said DAN wasn't stupid but I hate how Persona is getting this treatment because of ONE game.

And even then the game didn't screw up everyone's character like Q did aka "LET'S FLANDERIZE EVERYONE, including Naoto"

Burruni

Smash Hero
I never said DAN wasn't stupid but I hate how Persona is getting this treatment because of ONE game.

And even then the game didn't screw up everyone's character like Q did aka "LET'S FLANDERIZE EVERYONE, including Naoto"
A shame is that there's a growing rumor that the major reason behind a number of the "budget titles" we saw from Atlus in the past few years is because the company was basically staggered in the production of P5. ESPECIALLY so when the Japanese VA for Igor died. To the point that they legitimately considered retiring the character.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
#FE is the perfect example for how "only the gameplay needs to be good for a game to be good" is a false statement.

Your gameplay can be fine but if the context and setting for your gameplay isn't appropriate then people won't like it.

So here's a small question.

What do you think are true issues with this community as a whole when it comes to stuff like speculation? I mean this in the vein of selection bias, echo chambers where only few characters are deemed acceptable and/or likely, etc.
The main issue is the fact that Smash isn't just a game Nintendo fans play anymore. It has it's own fan base that exists in it's own little bubble.

As a result, there is a difference between Smash fans and Nintendo fans now. Smash fans who speculate on characters only base it on what they see within the Smash fan base most of the time. That's why your K.Rools and Ridleys are perceived as the most popular choices within the Smash fan base, but ultimately aren't that popular on a global level among anyone who likes Nintendo games and plays Smash for that. Then when a character who is genuinely popular on a global level among Nintendo fans gets in, the Smash fan base throws a tantrum about how Sakurai never listens. Rosalina remains the best example of this. She was moderately requested within the Smash fan base but didn't really make waves. But she's one of Nintendo's most popular characters, if not the most popular Nintendo character, that doesn't come from the classic Nintendo era (the only characters that are comparable are Inklings and even they will need a few more years to catch up especially since they debuted on the Wii U. Oh and maybe Lucario and Isabelle, they are similar to Rosalina in this aspect, actually). So her inclusion is in actuality, a no-brainer.

But because the Smash fan base was stuck in their bubble, they threw a tantrum about it and then the "Nintendo's Lightning" meme was literally born the day Rosalina was announced for Smash.

I could mention a bunch more issues with the Smash fan base. But they may be a bit more subjective and may even offend some people. But this is the one thing I think we can all agree on. Smash fans and Nintendo fans are no longer the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom