• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was it Crimson? She's a literal Red Shirt... I mean, her name is CRIMSON.
The little 13 year old girl we've been talking about

Edit: LOL I fail at spoilers

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I have low interests in FE Fates but at the same time I don't know if I wanna read the spoilers. lmao

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
anyone have an anti stereotyping psa we can give shroob? they really seem to not understand that what there saying is bad

Shroob

Sup?
anyone have an anti stereotyping psa we can give shroob? they really seem to not understand that what there saying is bad
I dislike the otaku culture, so I really don't care what you have to say about it. It's not as much the people, as it is the corporations who manipulate them with stuff like Miku and whatnot. It's downright disgusting.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bro....

Even if you feel that way, there's a way to do that without calling him out specifically.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Bro....

Even if you feel that way, there's a way to do that without calling him out specifically.
because hes the one specificly posting stereo types if i were to try and say "people" it wouldnt matter because hes litterally the only one doing it it would be both pointless and more cowardly

EDIT:
cowardly is not the best way to put it
it would be insulting their intelligence by trying to pretend that im not talking about him but this large group that doesn't exist and obviously they would know im talking about them

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Seems I missed some #FE talk. Definitely not the kind of game that appeals to me.

You know I like anime and manga and often talk about it here, but #FE represents everything that went wrong with anime in the past few years.

Granted, I probably don't have the best tastes in anime as I mostly watch shounen action series, some of them lacking any real substance, but it's also true that I've watched some really good stuff as well.

There is a difference between liking Japanese pop culture (incl. video games, anime, manga or even music) and being an otaku.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, what he said wasn't wrong because that actually is happening in Japan right now and it's almost become a national crisis for them. Granted, there's more reasons for it than the Otaku subculture but it is a very real problem over there.

Chrono.

I like how Chrono. Chrono. is more concerned about a potential biological connection between Kamui/Corrin and the Siblings, than the fact that Elise is like, thirteen.
Who said I wasn't tho?

I have a lot of issues with how Fates has been handled.

You were prolly joking but I had to get that out there

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh my lawd this is so cringe worthy yet hilarious at the same time.

Honestly I could care less if people say this is pandering towards 'weeaboos' I'll probably pick it up after release or something lol.
Well, tell me if it's actually a good video game in that case :laugh:
I'm afraid I'll be skipping out on this one.

Might end up playing FE Fates...for better or worse.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I mean, what he said wasn't wrong because that actually is happening in Japan right now and it's almost become a national crisis for them. Granted, there's more reasons for it than the Otaku subculture but it is a very real problem over there.
its not what they said but how they said it

Naoshi

because hes the one specificly posting stereo types if i were to try and say "people" it wouldnt matter because hes litterally the only one doing it it would be both pointless and more cowardly

EDIT:
cowardly is not the best way to put it
it would be insulting their intelligence by trying to pretend that im not talking about him but this large group that doesn't exist and obviously they would know im talking about them
pretty sure he was exaggerating with some humor. but many otakus do tend to be seriously socially awkward

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna buy Fates.

Probably the special version.

It'd take a lot to steer me away from the game.

pretty sure he was exaggerating with some humor. but many otakus do tend to be seriously socially awkward
Actually, yeah you do to be an otaku.

Otaku isn't liking certain things.

It's liking things to the point of obsession. To where it detracts from other areas of your life.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
its not what they said but how they said it
If you're waiting for me to flip a switch and be all chipper and PC, you can keep waiting. I despise the otaku culture, as someone who spent a good amount of his life being an otaku. I see the industry for what it is and what it does to people, and I find it abhorrent and disgusting.

I speak from experience as someone who was the fat, socially awkward otaku stereotype growing up, and while I've lost the weight and made actual friends, some scars don't heal well, especially the physical ones that come from such weight gain.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think my pre-orders for Birthright and Conquest are staying put. I'll be dropping Genei Ibun Roku for a crossover that would be faithful. Fire Emblem VS Final Fantasy - of which I'm already making a roster for. I've got it divided into good and evil characters across both series, like Dissidia, and once I feel satisfied across all bases, I'll upload it. Just keep working on it before I head to bed.

As a teaser:
For Fire Emblem, I've included:
Marth (FE 1+3)
Caeda (FE 1+3)
Anna (FE 1)
Gharnef (FE 1)

Roy (FE 6)
Zephiel (FE 6)
Hector (FE 7)
Lyn (FE 7)

Ike (FE 9)
Ashnard (FE 9)

Robin
Lucina
Chrom
Grima

And for Final Fantasy
Warrior of Light
Garland
Chaos

Moogle
Onion Knight

Cloud Strife
Sephiroth
Zidane Tribal
Vivi Oruinata

Terra Branford
Sabin
Kefka Palazzo

Seifer Almasy
Gilgamesh
It's all still a work in progress, but already looking good to me.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Honestly, weebs and otaku are probably the reason some people are turned away by anime nowadays.

It doesn't help that every season there's the obligatory harem anime with a self-insert Marty Stu with loads of fanservice. Forget about having a story or setting because that's not going to be developed to any meaningful degree.

It is a shame to see the Fire Emblem series cater to that demographic, but the truth is that targeting said demographic does earn the companies a profit and loyal costumers.

It becomes a cycle, in a way. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems can't easily take away the fanservice from FE from here on because they have an audience of people who want that stuff in the games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not even sure if this is better or worse than freaking Fates.

#FE may be weeby as hell but at least you don't rub the characters faces (who can also be your siblings) to get sexual responses out of them.

FE in general has been off the walls lately.
Simple. Face Rubbing is something you have to go out of your way to do, nor is it required for supports, so if you don't like it, you can pretend it's not there. Weeb Emburemu however, is FILLED with it, you literally can't get past it without seeing it a few 1000 times.

The cultural things aren't goingto be a turn off, after all, it's still the franchise I know and love for memorable characters and addicting gameplay.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
As gross as all this stuff being in the original version is, I'm more than willing to accept a localized version that appeals to my values more.

In the Japanese version, the 13-year old in Xenoblade X can wear extremely skimpy (even by bikini standards) bikinis.
Even if the localized changes are EXTREMELY LAZY, I'm glad they did it because I would rather that not exist.

I feel like there's less topical examples but my brain hates me.
Some would claim you're a heathen who loves to "CENSUR ARTISTIK FREEDUMS" for saying that.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
If you're waiting for me to flip a switch and be all chipper and PC, you can keep waiting. I despise the otaku culture, as someone who spent a good amount of his life being an otaku. I see the industry for what it is and what it does to people, and I find it abhorrent and disgusting.

I speak from experience as someone who was the fat, socially awkward otaku stereotype growing up, and while I've lost the weight and made actual friends, some scars don't heal well, especially the physical ones that come from such weight gain.
and that's fine im not going to try and change who you are what you believe nor will i tell you that you are wrong for believing it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Some would claim you're a heathen who loves to "CENSUR ARTISTIK FREEDUMS" for saying that.
There's the issue with goobergators. They think all censorship is bad. However, much like free to play and dlc, it depends on how it's used. For example
Video game has less skimpy outfits to appeal to a larger audience, the skimpy outfits mean nothing story wise
News report from Syria, with dead bodies everywhere, but they got blurred out so audiences couldn't see it
Bad examples
Heavily censoring the plot of any kind of media to the point it's completely different

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And they are right.

But Kenith's disgust for the certain things is also completely right. Kenith was raised to view certain things as morally wrong. And Kenith's shouldn't have to put up with stuff that is blatantly offensive to his culture or straight up illegal.

The whole censorship argument is dumb because they are both right.

It is censoring art, but doing so to get it out to more people.

It's just what you personally value more.

It's why I like viewing things as a product more than art.

The answer is really easy then. :p

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Night all - I'll be finishing the rest of the FE VS FF roster when I wake up. Hopefully we wouldn't have jumped to Nintenzone Social 4.0!:tired:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'll be honest here, I am the kind of guy who easily gets obsessed with things I like. I have always been like that even as a kid and I don't have a big social life either.

I do know what are the consequences of letting myself become too obsessed with something to the point of unhealthiness. It's one easy step to becoming depressed, something I've experienced a few years back and I'm not completely over it.

This is the reason I don't want to become like the otaku. It's because I have a tendency for obsession and I know the consequences for one's mental health.

Chrono.

Simple. Face Rubbing is something you have to go out of your way to do, nor is it required for supports, so if you don't like it, you can pretend it's not there. Weeb Emburemu however, is FILLED with it, you literally can't get past it without seeing it a few 1000 times.

The cultural things aren't goingto be a turn off, after all, it's still the franchise I know and love for memorable characters and addicting gameplay.
Here's the thing though: #FE is a spinoff.

A spinoff that might not even get a sequel or follow up. It's far easier to ignore and the chances that the regular FE games go full idol are slim to none.

Fates on the other hand is FE's next major title, and it ramped up a lot of the gross things FE13 was relatively mild on.

I have reason to be concerned as FE overall might be moving in a direction that I don't really approve of.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'll be honest here, I am the kind of guy who easily gets obsessed with things I like. I have always been like that even as a kid and I don't have a big social life either.

I do know what are the consequences of letting myself become too obsessed with something to the point of unhealthiness. It's one easy step to becoming depressed, something I've experienced a few years back and I'm not completely over it.

This is the reason I don't want to become like the otaku. It's because I have a tendency for obsession and I know the consequences for one's mental health.
Aye, you think you have it bad? You should see the mental health records of my family. You'd swear we're straight outta Arkham.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's the thing though: #FE is a spinoff.

A spinoff that might not even get a sequel or follow up. It's far easier to ignore and the chances that the regular FE games go full idol are slim to none.

Fates on the other hand is FE's next major title, and it ramped up a lot of the gross things FE13 was relatively mild on.

I have reason to be concerned as FE overall might be moving in a direction that I don't really approve of.
However, considering how the directors know how to handle criticism, hence Nohr being more like previous titles and abetter story, it's safe to say they'll change it if enough fans complain

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Aye, you think you have it bad? You should see the mental health records of my family. You'd swear we're straight outta Arkham.
I don't like comparing myself to others. :p

It's very easy to stay into a "others have it worse than me" mindset only for you to realize you've become worse over time.

Talk about plucking the plant by its roots. :chuckle:

Shroob

Sup?
However, considering how the directors know how to handle criticism, hence Nohr being more like previous titles and abetter story, it's safe to say they'll change it if enough fans complain
I dread the belief that they mistake people choosing Nohr moreso due to the character designs for the actual gameplay of it.

I swear I read on one of Push's articles that a dev admits to one of the reason the game got a higher CERO rating in Japan was simply due to Camilla.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
now while we are on a touchy subject what with depression and the horrors of explotative industries
i feel it would be best if we shelved this for another time as its almost time for the day shift of people who post here regularly
and i feel like changing the subject so that they have something a tad more pleasnt to discuss

and so with that i feel we should talk about bootleg toys
its a phelous review of some DBZ bootlegs and man that piccolo is something else

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I dread the belief that they mistake people choosing Nohr moreso due to the character designs for the actual gameplay of it.
They fixed the complaint about no samesex S support on Tharja, they know exactly what their fanbase will argue if they're willing to do something about that uncommon complaint
now while we are on a touchy subject what with depression and the horrors of explotative industries
i feel it would be best if we shelved this for another time as its almost time for the day shift of people who post here regularly
and i feel like changing the subject so that they have something a tad more pleasnt to discuss

and so with that i feel we should talk about bootleg toys
its a phelous review of some DBZ bootlegs and man that piccolo is something else
Please

Naoshi

I don't recommend Picross. It's too good to the point my brain constantly thinks about its puzzles unwillingly. Seriously D:

Last edited:

Chrono.

That's another thing: Did they reeeaally have to split the difficulty up?

What if I wanted Nohr styled gameplay but I preferred the Hoshido faction? How would the third path even work? Would it use just one of the pre existing styles or its own?

I don't mind the fact that there's 3 versions with 3 different stories but the way they handled it was odd overall.

Here's hoping they learned their lesson though

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's another thing: Did they reeeaally have to split the difficulty up?

What if I wanted Nohr styled gameplay but I preferred the Hoshido faction? How would the third path even work? Would it use just one of the pre existing styles or its own?

I don't mind the fact that there's 3 versions with 3 different stories but the way they handled it was odd overall.
I agree with that, though imo why would you like the Hoshido faction? The more memorable characters are in Nohr. To me at least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom