• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On an unrelated note, when do you guys expect NX to be revealed next year? Between January and March? Around E3? Most people over at NeoGAF seem to advocate for the former.
Yeah between January and March. Personally I'd guess February or March. I think they're going to have a similar strategy as the other two: early year console reveal/tease, E3 information/game/release date blow-out, holiday release.

I just think that's where the industry is at nowadays.

From what I've seen on this site, people tend to disagree.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
so

things you learnt to do from this speculation:

-Back off of Toad once he's shown to be a move
-Don't support Toad at all (not like it gon change anything)
-Hope for Tiki/Anna because FEbias
-Remember Ivysquichu :squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee:

tell me how i'm supposed to do this it's 5 years away

how

how
how

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, a Direct in early February isn't that impossible.

We know Corrin has to come before the 19th according to Sakurai, since Fates comes out the 19th and Corrin is slated to be released before it does, so if there'd be an NX announcement in a Direct, February isn't impossible, though I still strongly believe in a E3 announcement.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No way Nintendo throws the NX reveal in with a normal Direct.

They need numbers in vast excess of that for a system reveal. Let alone a system coming off the heels of the Wii U.

Digital Event level stuff or bust.

An announcement of the NX reveal in a Direct? Now that's possible.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The newcomers which could be sensibly predicted - :4bowserjr::4littlemac::4palutena::4megaman::4pacman::rosalina::4mii::4robinm::4shulk: and maybe :4villager:.

10 or 11 out of 17 newcomers doesn't sound that bad, honestly, if you think about it.
Notably... all of these are in the base roster.

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

so

things you learnt to do from this speculation:

-Back off of Toad once he's shown to be a move
-Don't support Toad at all (not like it gon change anything)
-Hope for Tiki/Anna because FEbias
-Remember Ivysquichu :squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee:

tell me how i'm supposed to do this it's 5 years away

how

how
how
I learned that Sakurai is unpredictable and we make up too many rules that he doesn't actually follow.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I learned that Sakurai is unpredictable and we make up too many rules that he doesn't actually follow.
More accurately, the rules he said are only applicable to that game. Brawl's criteria were not applied for Smash 4.

And lastly, despite the repeated saying "relevancy does not matter", it clearly does.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The newcomers which could be sensibly predicted - :4bowserjr::4littlemac::4palutena::4megaman::4pacman::rosalina::4mii::4robinm::4shulk: and maybe :4villager:.

10 or 11 out of 17 newcomers doesn't sound that bad, honestly, if you think about it.
Notably... all of these are in the base roster.

I dunno how sensible it was to still predict Villager after what Sakurai said about him. Those statements sounded pretty definitive.

so uh you guys think Ice Climbers will return next time
yeh

Shroob

Sup?
So, question I ask again, does anything with all the trophies unlocked on the 3DS version know how many are in game at the moment?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I dunno how sensible it was to still predict Villager after what Sakurai said about him. Those statements sounded pretty definitive.
That's why I said 'maybe'. Most people were expecting some Animal Crossing representation, either as Tom Nook or someone else. A very few rosters did have Villager, if were mocked as you'd expect.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I don't think we will fully see the NX until E3. Well probably have some information before then.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think we will fully see the NX until E3. Well probably have some information before then.
E3 will be the perfect time for the NX reveal.

It's not something that should be revealed in a normal Direct, IMO.

Besides, they are supporting the 3DS and Wii U, so I guess the upcoming Directs will focus on 3DS and Wii U content.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So i need help to understanding something. Where is wolf?

I never play ff7, but i like cloud in smash. I never played bayonetta, but i like bayonetta in smash. I will never play fe fates, but i like corrin in smash. They are all very unique. So im not salty about them.

Now to the part i dont understand. Wolf has an upcoming appearance in star fox zero and he is a veteran. Roy and lucas are from the past but both are dlc, why not wolf with future? I hope you understand my english.

Look at the numbers. Brawl had 3 star fox characters, fire emblem had 2 characters in brawl. Now there are upcoming games for fire emblem and star fox. BUT star fox have 2 characters in sm4sh and fire emblem 6! This numbers are crazy. Isnt this unfair? Like really unfair? I understand fire emblem is now more relevant than in brawl times and so on but star fox is now more relevant too! Sakurai doesnt like star fox too much it seems.

I really wanted king k. Rool and isaac too, but i understand why both are not dlc. I understand every situation from other characters who didnt make it BUT i cant understand wolfs situation.

Please someone explain this to me. And not just a he was not lucky sentence. This annoys me so much i dont even want to play smash 4.

Sorry for my english.

Strofirko

Smash Master
It's funny because the ballot winner is from a guy who gave 0 ****s about the smash ballot on twitter.:denzel:

Shroob

Sup?

I never play ff7, but i like cloud in smash. I never played bayonetta, but i like bayonetta in smash. I will never play fe fates, but i like corrin in smash. They are all very unique. So im not salty about them.

Now to the part i dont understand. Wolf has an upcoming appearance in star fox zero and he is a veteran. Roy and lucas are from the past but both are dlc, why not wolf with future? I hope you understand my english.

Look at the numbers. Brawl had 3 star fox characters, fire emblem had 2 characters in brawl. Now there are upcoming games for fire emblem and star fox. BUT star fox have 2 characters in sm4sh and fire emblem 6! This numbers are crazy. Isnt this unfair? Like really unfair? I understand fire emblem is now more relevant than in brawl times and so on but star fox is now more relevant too! Sakurai doesnt like star fox too much it seems.

I really wanted king k. Rool and isaac too, but i understand why both are not dlc. I understand every situation from other characters who didnt make it BUT i cant understand wolfs situation.

Please someone explain this to me. And not just a he was not lucky sentence. This annoys me so much i dont even want to play smash 4.

Sorry for my english.
It was Sakurai's choice, which is what it comes down to, frankly. You don't want to hear that he wasn't lucky, but it's the truth.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Sorry for my english.
If I had to guess... he's being held back for the next Smash game, along with Inklings and Bandana Dee.

That's the only other explanation that makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Honestly I really don't want this to sound mean

but I'm happy Wolf didn't make it back for one reason only: so Lucas can be more independent.

A lot of Wolf fans were like, "o since lucas got in wolf gon be in aaaa! since lucas wouldn't get in w/o wolf lol" and it made me so mad how they didn't have faith in lucas like if he gets in wolf HAS to? why? because lucas is a lower character? no

Like I feel bad for them since Wolf was a vet character and it's hard to move on from them, but I'm happy Lucas won't be tied to him as much.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All I gotta say is, I thank @Burb for his wonderfully pessimistic bingo card that turned out to be mostly accurate in the end. I got bingo several times

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
So, question I ask again, does anything with all the trophies unlocked on the 3DS version know how many are in game at the moment?
If my math is right: 698. Sakurai said there are 707 trophies in total for 3DS. Minus the 5 Bayo trophies and the 4 Fates ones.
What I'm wondering is if those two extra Fates trophies are 3DS-exclusive? Sakurai gave me the impression they are.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, say what you will about Etika, but the way he ended his Stream I honestly thought was one of the best, respectful, rational, and CALM(This is Etika, so him being calm is a rarity) ways anyone could, and I wish that more people would act like this. The fact that I'm even having to write this is saddening.

He acknowledged that we didn't get stuff like Wolf, or Ice Climbers, or K.Rool or Inklings or any of that stuff, but he was okay with it because Smash 4 is already an amazing game even without them, and that we really do end up looking a gift horse in the mouth sometimes. This game has 55(58) characters and 6 Third Party characters. You can have Cloud, Megaman, Ryu, Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Bayonetta all fight each other... Does this not blow your mind?

Brawl had 35 characters, 40 with transformations and the Pokemon Trainer, and only 2 Third-Party characters. If I had told you back then that Smash 4 would have 55 characters, 58 with Miis, and 6 Third Party characters, what would you say? "It's crap because X character is missing?" Really? Would you really throw everything aside because ONE character you wanted didn't make the cut, or you didn't like how a couple choices were handled?

How absolutely petty can we be? When ETIKA of all people is actually being a stand up figure in the speculation side of things, and being RATIONAL(Mind you, the same guy who was saying GOKU FOR SMASH), you know how far you've fallen.

Do I agree with everything Sakurai has done? No, of course not. Am I ******** and whining about it? No. Why? Because I choose to play the game, because I enjoy it and have fun with it.

Everyone who's throwing a pity party of "Oh I hate the game now. Game is trash." You disgust me. You are ungrateful, and if you don't want to play anymore, feel free to stop. We're not stopping you. But don't expect warm hugs and kisses if you choose to stick around and mope and feel sorry for yourself.

And anyone who rubs their characters into the faces of fanbases who got shunned, you're no better. Be grateful that your character got in at all while countless others weren't soo lucky. Remember, there's always a future Smash game, and your character could get cut just as easily as theirs did.

Door's that way.

-------->

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So I've finally watched the Direct and taken it all in.

Corrin, although I had never even heard of him until now, looks amazing. I mean, he can turn into a freaking Dragon. Sure, he wasn't on my radar but I can't wait to play as him.

And Bayo... seriously, that's such a WTF moment and such a Sakurai thing to do.

Six 3rd party reps.

Six!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bayonetta did bump the game's rating to a T, it seems

Then what was the point of cutting the Tharja Trophy? :p
Inb4 it gets added later.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai has tweeted on how he prioritized more unique characters.

As much as I wanted Wolf back, he's still a Fox derivative (not a semi-clone, but still follows the same geeral archetype) and isn't really unique compared to any of the newcomers we got.

Roy and Lucas were the veteran spots and the only derivative characters out of all DLC. Roy and Lucas are the characters brought from Melee and Brawl, respectively. I think it was either Lucas or Wolf for that spot, IMO.

As for Mewtwo, he is a popular character, period. Smash fans wanted him because he was in Melee and Pokémon fans wanted one of the most iconic Pokémon ever. His veteran status didn't matter as much as it did for Roy and Lucas.

Snake, another character I wanted, probably got out because of Konami bull****. Notice how Sakurai stated that Cloud and Bayonetta came from third-party partners which they had a good business relationship. Square Enix is supporting the 3DS big time with titles such as Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Theathrythm Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Explorers and Dragon Quest VII and VIII.

Likewise, Sega and Platinum Games are also close partners of Nintendo as of lately. Sega had exclusivity deals in regards to Sonic games and is the only third-party to have been involved in more than a single Smash game with Sonic's inclusion in Brawl and Smash 3DS/WiiU. Nintendo financed Bayonetta 2 and got exclusive rights for the game where Sega simply failed to make it happen. The developer, Platinum Games, is now co-developing Star Fox Zero with Nintendo right now.

Ironic as this may seem, Bayonetta might actually be the 3rd party character with the closest ties to Nintendo with all of her games being released on Nintendo consoles, published by Nintendo themselves.

If my math is right: 698. Sakurai said there are 707 trophies in total for 3DS. Minus the 5 Bayo trophies and the 4 Fates ones.
What I'm wondering is if those two extra Fates trophies are 3DS-exclusive? Sakurai gave me the impression they are.
The FE Fates trophies are 3DS exclusive.

Likewise, the FE Fates music is Wii U exclusive.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's why I said 'maybe'. Most people were expecting some Animal Crossing representation, either as Tom Nook or someone else. A very few rosters did have Villager, if were mocked as you'd expect.

Not to my memory...

I mean there was an exception here or there like Kuma's old roster but Sakurai made blanket statements about AC's lack of suitability as far as fighters go, not simply related to Villager iirc, which largely dissuaded most from including any rep from the series.

That's how I remember it at least.

If I had to guess... he's being held back for the next Smash game, along with Inklings and Bandana Dee.

That's the only other explanation that makes sense to me.

I don't see the point in holding back a character that's already been in Smash. Characters are most impactful the first time they're included. Also..

along with Inklings and Bandana Dee.

I... I wouldn't be so sure about that. As far as we know Sakurai doesn't even care about that character; complete and total omission doesn't exactly paint of picture of holding the character in any kind of esteem...

Bayonetta did bump the game's rating to a T, it seems

Then what was the point of cutting the Tharja Trophy? :p
Inb4 it gets added later.

So... she couldn't really be toned all the way down to fit into Smash 4... Smash 4 had to be toned up to fit her...

Also I didn't know games were allowed to sell additional content of a different, more adult rating.

I've learned a lot today lol

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I... I wouldn't be so sure about that. As far as we know Sakurai doesn't even care about that character; complete and total omission doesn't exactly paint of picture of holding the character in any kind of esteem...
Let me be in my corner of woe.

So... she couldn't really be toned all the way down to fit into Smash 4... Smash 4 had to be toned up to fit her...

Also I didn't know games were allowed to sell additional content of a different, more adult rating.

I've learned a lot today lol
Companies can. However, they have to notify the rating board beforehand.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I just checked my Trophy hoard, and with Cloud's 2 trophies, I'm at 697, but I know for a fact that I have every trophy currently. I think there must be 6 Bayonetta trophies, with one being of Bayonetta herself, the one they showed us before Jeanne.

That would mean what's left is:

2 for Corrin
2 for Corrin's brothers
2 for Playable Bayonetta
4 for Bayonetta in general

Making the total 707 for 3DS

Last edited:

Soul.

E3 sounds fine for NX, though I would expect them to talk about it early on.

And when they do reveal it, it'll be a disappointing hybrid.

It was, as far as previous presentations uploaded by Nintendo come to mind, supposed to be different platforms with the same architecture allowing for easier development and less software droughts. Things Wii U and 3DS struggle at.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Whoever stated the rating got pushed up to T in NA is wrong.

Her trailer still has the E10+ rating shown.

In Europe, the rating remains 12+ too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
At any rate, I believe the rating will change when Bayonetta is available for downloading.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The sad thing is, if Corrin wasn't a Fire Emblem character, people would be praising how unique he is, outside of the small 'ANIME SWORDS' people.
Think of Corrin as Palkia.

Dragon/Water typing.

Boom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom