• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
The rule that characters must originate from a game is the only one I'd actually consider a rule. The other ones are more like guidelines than anything.
actually sakurai only said no anime or manga characters batman or luke skywalker could have totally gotten in...

So...

If I wanna buy Final Fantasy 3-5 should I buy the remakes on Steam or buy them on Wii VC?
3 isnt on wii VC 6 is but 3 was only released as a ds game(and the steam release) in the us

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not in the mood to get on this with the source- but as Im actually referring to a specific source with four statements (maybe someone else can easily find it, Im going to bed), Id appreciate more of a response than just your opinion on the matter. Thanks.
Saying "neither of those were criteria" isn't "my opinion on the matter".
I'm stating a declarative fact.
Neither of those were on the proposed list of criteria you are referring to.

Thinkaman said:
Bonus: My recollection of Sakurai had 4 criteria that all characters must observe in order to be considered for being added:

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

This is infinitely harder than you and I think, because we are so jaded by our own perspective. I would insist that Viewtiful Joe would be the best character ever, but I'm not sure people would really want the game more. Neither of us would have ever thought of ROB, and yet "ROBOT" was the CROWD FAVORITE by FAR in the GDC matches the CAs had. Everyone loved him! We as gamers are way too biased to make this decision easily.

2. The character must be unique.

The character must have identifying features and abilities that would make them different from existing characters, so that they add something to the game.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

The character obviously has to be able to fit into the framework of how smash works, obviously Pac-Man and L Block would not work. (My examples, not his.)

4. They must contribute to the game balance.

Everyone has to fit together. Every new character must counter some characters and be countered by others, and they must fit in one giant contiguous mesh.
http://smashboards.com/threads/gdc-2008-meeting-masahiro-sakurai.146816/

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So...

If I wanna buy Final Fantasy 3-5 should I buy the remakes on Steam or buy them on Wii VC?
The Steam versions are just the iOS versions.

Play the GBA version of 5, the PSP remake of 4 and play the DS version of 3

Soul.

Smash NX would likely have Wii U version-like graphics, not sure about the rest. Perhaps add the outlines from 3DS and change them at will.

inb4 unrealistic hybrid gimmick

D

Deleted member

Theory time!

I believe that a ton of characters have "No changes" is that they are doing this balance patch in two parts. We got a lot of significant changes between the characters that were altered at the moment, so I imagine when the DLC update happens in February, they'll do the other half of the balancing then.

D

Deleted member

Oh how outdated 3# is now... haha.
To be fair, Pac-Man was Thinkaman's example, not Sakurai's. (Though technically Sakurai shared the same viewpoint going by what he said about Pac-Man before....)

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
now on the subject of smash NX i can totally see them just straight port everything from wiiu and add like 10 new characters and stages(some from 3ds some new) of course this is only if sakurai decides not to work on this

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I figured.
But still, that wasn't one of the "4 requirements" that were stated back in 2008.

Though Bayonetta is a bit of a strange case.
Sakurai made the point about making sure Fox's and Falco's blasters and the Ray Gun didn't resemble real guns (to the point of making the Ray Gun a laser stamp blaster in Wii U/3DS), yet Bayonetta's guns, as stylized as they are, were left untouched.

It makes me wonder if for example, Heavy's minigun would be acceptable considering it doesn't quite look like what a real minigun would look like.
I think Heavy would actually fit entirely fine. TF2 is, to me, roughly what would happen if Nintendo ever made an M-rated FPS. It's cartoony, unrealistic, full of personality, etc. I'm a big fan so I would be very hyped over Heavy being in even though that will never happen D:<

I think Bayonetta's guns are acceptable for a similar reason (cartoonish usage) but I think she's an exception since she won the ballot.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So... Dare I ask how did this thread do during and after the direct?

BINGO!

:231:

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
So...

Yo, FF expert coming through.

Steam version of III and IV are just ports of the IOS versions, and the IOS versions are a port of the DS versions. So its a port of a port. I'd say hunt down the DS remakes of III and IV if you want to play them.

As for V, the only good version of the game in NA is the GBA version. It has very good visuals that still hold up today (the IOS version, ironically, has some pretty ugly sprites), the new English script is fantastic and it has a ton of unique features not found in other versions of the game.

EDIT: If you have a PSP get the PSP version of IV. I just kinda run on the assumption that nobody has one =/

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Funny how yesterday you could've gotten away with bashing Corrin and Bayonetta and today you'll get bashed for bashing. >_>

Smash spec you fickle *****.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I figured.
But still, that wasn't one of the "4 requirements" that were stated back in 2008.

Though Bayonetta is a bit of a strange case.
Sakurai made the point about making sure Fox's and Falco's blasters and the Ray Gun didn't resemble real guns (to the point of making the Ray Gun a laser stamp blaster in Wii U/3DS), yet Bayonetta's guns, as stylized as they are, were left untouched.

It makes me wonder if for example, Heavy's minigun would be acceptable considering it doesn't quite look like what a real minigun would look like.
It IS based on an actual gun, the M134 Minigun.

D

Deleted member

Like, compare Shadow's gun to Bayonetta's, for example. Ow the Edge uses a fairly realistic pistol.
Well, there's always a workaround with that.

Black Arms weapons and all. :awesome:

(Not going to lie, I would have much rather had Ow the Edge over Bayonetta....)

It IS based on an actual gun, the M134 Minigun.

Based, but clearly much more stylized and cartoonish.
I don't see some weird propane tank protruding from the M134 after all. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Steam versions are just the iOS versions.

Play the GBA version of 5, the PSP remake of 4 and play the DS version of 3
I can't get my hands on the GBA and PSP versions.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So.... PushDustIn PushDustIn

Now that DLC is over and Shovel Knight was never in the works...

Could you explain why you and Neo Zero Neo Zero believed the rumor now?
That'd involve revealing details of his source, that while wrong in this case, is off limits for their job security.

Basically though, I wonder if they maybe made an assumption in regards to certain things like the amiibo. Doesn't matter much now anyway.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Will write a post later with reactions and my statement on Shovel Knight. I retweeted Tamaki's statement on the rumor on my Twitter.

Also @DukeNapoleon that's the same logic people who believe there is more DLC for Mario Kart 8. Both aren't happening. After awhile it's just more profitable to make a new game. Sakurai said it himself in "Are Updates a Bad Thing?" there is no fake out. This is the end. The team is moving on.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll look for the DS versions I guess.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Aside from my disappointment about there being NOTHING Splatoon (aside from costumes and trophy), I am happy with what we have gotten. But... really? Not even a Splatoon Stage? :c Sakurai, you big meany head.

I'm just sad to see the speculation end. I had the same feeling after the Mario Kart DLC ended. It was exciting to find out more, and now, it is over. Unless there is a NX version with even more stuff (I hope so!), then we will have to wait for some time for Smash speculation. But maybe that is for the better. I find it kinda sad just how pissed and vocal some people becomes about this. Corrin and Bayonetta has apparantly made PLENTY of people 'quitting Smash', which is so weird, since those people apparantly enjoyed the game lots before they were revealed.

-w-

Will write a post later with reactions and my statement on Shovel Knight. I retweeted Tamaki's statement on the rumor on my Twitter.

Also @DukeNapoleon that's the same logic people who believe there is more DLC for Mario Kart 8. Both aren't happening. After awhile it's just more profitable to make a new game. Sakurai said it himself in "Are Updates a Bad Thing?" there is no fake out. This is the end. The team is moving on.
Did you ever tweet that one certain image to that one certain person yet?

Or are you going to be the "better man" and not do it?

(Thanks for the translated victory quote BTW)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you had come to me in 2011 after Smash 4 got announced and said the newcomers were to be:

The Animal Crosser
The trainer from Wii Fit
Rosalina
Bowser Jr. with all the Koopalings as alts
Little Mac
3 different Miis
Duck Hunt Dog
The guy from that game that's never getting localized
Palutena
A dark version of Pit
A Gen VI Pokemon
Three FE characters that didn't exist yet
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu
Cloud
and Bayonetta

I would've asked if you minded sharing whatever drugs you must be on. :joyful:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Some Smash NX baseline things:

-If Xenoblade continues to be a relative success, I think we'll see more Xenoblade reps from newer games.
-Isabelle and Inklings seem like the most likely newcomers at the moment.
-Rhythm Heaven could see representation, but it depends on the status of the series and if another music-based franchise takes its place.
-Rool being in depends on if he's in DKCR3/DKC6. If he is, I think he's probably going to be at the front door. Sakurai realizes he has a fanbase, and if Rool is picked up in the future, that could lead to a snowball effect resulting in his inclusion into Smash.
-Takamaru seems incredibly likely if his series is revived. I know the fandom has defaulted to Takamaru as the default pick as far back as the Brawl days, but hasn't Sakurai directly stated he'd consider Takamaru if his franchise was active? Or have I been mislead by nasty rumors?
-Fire Emblem and Pokemon both get current-gen reps and have since Melee. I don't see why the next Smash would be any different. The real question is if Fire Emblem will retain its current cast. More on that in a minute.
-RIPley won't happen. I don't see Sakurai changing his mind now if he didn't between Brawl and Smash 4. Post both games he basically said the same thing.
-Geno's status will completely depend on what this Mii outfit does for him. If he suddenly starts appearing in Mario games? Yeah, I'll give him benefit of the doubt.
-Captain Toad could maybe be in if he persists as a character. I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't in this game.
-Dark Pit will be a cherished veteran and people will yell when he's inevitably cut. By Smash 6, there'll be a Pichu-esque cult of Dark Pit followers.
-I'm calling the **** out of Sheriff. Mark the day, boyz, he's gonna be the next G&W/ROB/DHD.

I could imagine Smash 5 speculation being a sort of nuclear countdown. I can already see how many people would complain about FE character reveals.

"Corrin's back? Wasted day. I would've rather had Gem O'Bright the Vixen from Star Fox New Adventures!" - SaltyFan42069

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm not a fan of Etika, but getting up in arms over his use of the word "barefoot"? Come on, that's more than a little ridiculous. It just means the character isn't wearing shoes.

And as for "waifu", at this point it's really just a synonym for "female character that I like".

"Barefoot waifu" is significantly shorter and more manageable than "female character that I like who doesn't wear shoes" and maybe he didn't want the name in the thumbnail because he saw it as too much of a spoiler.

D

Deleted member

All this tidal-wave of jerkish moves towards the fans of characters like pretty Shantae and Wolf who didn't have their chance...

First the over-abuse of tear-drinking jokes on Ridley, and now this.

I'm so much ashamed to be called a Smash fan right now.

D

Deleted member

On an unrelated note, when do you guys expect NX to be revealed next year? Between January and March? Around E3? Most people over at NeoGAF seem to advocate for the former.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Am I still in a world in which Bayonetta is in Smash? Seems it wasn't a dream after all.

What a way to end Smash DLC.

The best part was Bayonetta taunting the KIU cast nonstop. lol

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All this tidal-wave of jerkish moves towards the fans of characters like pretty Shantae and Wolf who didn't have their chance...

First the over-abuse of tear-drinking jokes on Ridley, and now this.

I'm so much ashamed to be called a Smash fan right now.
No. You see they were wrong for liking and wanting things that didn't make it in.

Clearly we should mock them when several members did nothing wrong.

Yeah, the Smash fanbases has a bad habit of attacking people who are wrong. Heck this thread has been doing it for quite some time.

Won't let Ridley go. Wolf became that for a while. Bunch of stuff really...

D

Deleted member

Kind of crazy when you think about it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom