• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
When's the maintenance anyway? Tomorrow night....errr, well I guess 24ish hours from now?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My team as it's going to be

Brave: Cruncha, Shogunyan
Tough: Hornaplenty, Goldenyan
Shady: Count Cavity, Awevil

Brave to deal physical damage, tough to soak up damage, and shady to inspirit/ DOT (Since they both poison)/ Special damage

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's $40 in price for the regular version when translating yen to U.S. dollars.
It's a very fair price IMO.

Also here's my bingo sheet:

You can tell I have no rationality in placement. :p
I had fun making it though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Bayonetta Mii costume?
Also watch this get bingo with the bottom row as Wonder Red and Crash are revealed.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not necessarily do DLC or for a hypothetical Smash 5, but moreso in general who are your most wanted characters that aren't super popular with the community (this means characters besides K. Rool, Ridley, Dixie, Wonder Red, Isaac, Shantae, Paper Mario, Inklings, Wolf, Snake, IC, etc.)? I made the distinction because I know if I ask this question with it the above and others are likely to take up the majority of the answers without any real variety.

Mine are, in no particular order:

• Sami (Advance Wars) - I think Sami is a cool character who cooks provide something unique.
  • Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) - Back when the Smash Flash 2 expansion forums were still open, someone made a moveset for Sukapon all spirited out and I kinda just fell in love with the character and the concept.
  • Toad (Mario series) - No, not Captain Toad. The Toad, the one we've all grown up with and has been a staple in the series and is probably the most recognizable Nintendo all-star among the general populace who hasn't been promoted to olayable character yet. My most wanted.
  • Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) - I first learned of Dillon from the Haliburton leak at the beginning of SM4SH speculation after it has just been announced, and I love the aesthetic of the character and the concept for his possible unique abilities. I have him in my signature too haha.
  • Savvy Stylist (Style Savvy/Girl's Mode) - This is a bit of an oddball choice, but the character support thread helped turn my perception into a positive one, and I think they could be a really cool WFT-like shock addition that makes sense since the series is crazy popular in Japan.
  • Goku (Retro) - Not the overrated Dragon Ball Z anime Goku. I'm taking about the Classic Nintendo Retro character Goku who's a monkey and fights with a staff. I think he'd provide a lot of trollage potential haha, but I'm also a bit biased because Namco helped developed SM4SH and Goku has the potential to play like Kilik and/or Xiba from SoulCalibur (who was my favorite to play with in SC2), the latter of which is also inspired by story of Journey to the West.
That's just some of my most wanted, and I could go on (of the popular ones, I want to see K. Rool, Inklings and Wonder Red mainly).
Sylux.

Largely a dark horse character but has what it takes to make it into Smash eventually, and I'm certainly not counting on now.

Industry trends being a factor in picking characters doesn't surprise me. With DLC, though, one has to wonder how much weight muhrelevancy has. We're 100% guaranteed salt, but if relevancy excludes KKR, Isaac and the lot there's going to be a lot of salt.

At the very least it makes a Federation Force costume more likely.

D

Deleted member

First Row, First Square - Xenoblade X content
First Row, Second Square - Inkling becomes playable
Second Row, First Square - Master Chief becomes playable
Second Row, Third Square - Wolf Returns
Second Row, Fourth Square - Rayman becomes playable
Third Row, First Square - Bayonetta Mii costume
Third Row, Second Square - Dixie Kong becomes playable
Third Row, Fourth Square - Konami content
Fourth Row, Second Square - Level-5 content
Fourth Row, Fourth Square - Shovel Knight becomes playable
Fourth Row, Fifth Square - Hades becomes playable
Fifth Row, Second Square - Platinum Games content
Fifth Row, Fourth Square - Rhythm Heaven content
Fifth Row, Fifth Square - Either Crashboards happens, the eShop crashes, or Crash Bandicoot becomes playable
EDIT: And FE Fates content on second row, fifth square.

Did I get all that right?

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Imagine you never heard the songs. In that case, would you genuinely risk that much money for something subjective of taste as music? Most dance games have at the very least 20 iirc
Everyone in Japan that knows at least the Yo-kai Exercise to get interested in the game like YW Just Dance.
It's obviously not targeted towards ones that never heard of it, moreso to YW fans and ones that love the songs.

First Row, First Square - Xenoblade X content
First Row, Second Square - Inkling becomes playable
Second Row, First Square - Master Chief becomes playable
Second Row, Third Square - Wolf Returns
Second Row, Fourth Square - Rayman becomes playable
Third Row, First Square - Bayonetta Mii costume
Third Row, Second Square - Dixie Kong becomes playable
Third Row, Fourth Square - Konami content
Fourth Row, Second Square - Level-5 content
Fourth Row, Fourth Square - Shovel Knight becomes playable
Fourth Row, Fifth Square - Hades becomes playable
Fifth Row, Second Square - Platinum Games content
Fifth Row, Fourth Square - Rhythm Heaven content
Fifth Row, Fifth Square - Either Crashboards happens, the eShop crashes, or Crash Bandicoot becomes playable

Did I get all that right?
All the ones that have company logos and characters are playable characters.
Crash is Crash playable.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I just completed Yokai Story mode, yet I think my path to 100% has only just begun.

Final Team: Shogunyan, Baddinyan, Reuknight, Frostail, Komane and that Ghost Snake Sasuke ripoff guy.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I just completed Yokai Story mode, yet I think my path to 100% has only just begun.

Final Team: Shogunyan, Baddinyan, Reuknight, Frostail, Komane and that Ghost Snake Sasuke ripoff guy.
my current team :venoct, bloominoko, shadow venoct, blizzaria, snartle, and shogunyan
im curently thinking of having dandoodle as a reserve member for popularity (granted im probobly going to rotate out snartle and blizzaria for tengu and kyubi and when it happens panda noko for bloominoko)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hyrule Warriors.

Lana
Midna
Tetra
Ghirahim
Skull Kid

Not sure where these would be used, though.
Midna, Ghirahim and Skull Kid amiibos let you play as them summon them at will in Smash.

:231:

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
So...

Your reactions if they make a Zelda amiibo collection?

For fun, it has Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Impa, Tingle and 5 other characters. Who are they and why?
Agitha
Agitha
Agitha
Agitha
Lana

why: Agitha i'm biased

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So...

Your reactions if they make a Zelda amiibo collection?

For fun, it has Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Impa, Tingle and 5 other characters. Who are they and why?
You have my thanks for including Tingle already.

I'd prefer Toon Link (obv), Tetra, King of Red Lions (with detachable sail pls), Midna, and Skull Kid.

I want to say Vaati, but his absence would make his amiibo unmarketable.

:231:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at the cast of Smash there are a few characters that only had one appearance (with Roy having Zero). But all of them have reasons.

* Ness: Was 64's WTF? character.
* Ice Climbers: The first of many NES rep choices
* Sheik: Let's not mince words, she was Zelda's gimmick.
* Roy: Both as promotion and because Sakurai felt his fire based design/moveset would work better for a Marth clone.
* Lucas: As an RPG the Mother series had a different main character each time.
* Dark Pit: Easy clone
* Robin: Made more intresting moveset than Chrom
* Greninja: Had a hunch he would be this Gen's Lucario. They were on the money with that one.
* Shulk: Sold well enough to ensure sequel plus had unique mechanics for moveset.

If I missed a couple, it was for good reason (for example, Lucina making cameos alongside chrom in other games.)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Put your rage away, he was obviously referring to Ike not using projectile attacks in Smash.
Definitely interested in how they were able to balance Cloud's projectile. I get the feeling Cloud will be more Lucina/Shulk-ish in terms of damage/knockback despite his large *** sword and have a more mediocre recovery.
I'll LMAO if lemons are able to cancel his projectile out. :4megaman:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think for Cloud's projectile it'll be balanced by it being low range without the limit meter.

Which reminds me, if your choice(s) was/were the final DLC what would their gimmick be?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Great and very insightful interview!

So, all the secret characters in Smash 64 were made using pre-existing assets of the base 8 characters. Luigi is based on Mario, Jigglypuff on Kirby, Falcon is possibly based on the humanoid generic fighter from the Ryuoh prototype (also sharing some moves with Samus) and I think Ness may be loosely based on Mario.

Of the 4, Ness is the one that had most modification to the assets used to create him.

Seems like Roy was somewhat based on an earlier concept of his game. Seems like Sakurai used in-development documentation as basis for his Smash portrayal, which reminds me of how Hyrule Castle in 64 doesn't fully reflect the final version of Ocarina of Time.

The whole thing about Roy debuting in Smash before his own game seemed accidental too. I wonder if the same could apply to Woolly World in Smash 4... Or MGS4 content in Brawl.

Counter moves of FE characters are based on the series' combat mechanics. Many have already theorized that, but now we have confirmation from the man himself.

Once more, Sakurai talks about how he takes some creative liberties in regards to the characters for gameplay and balancing purposes. Robin uses Nosferatu, though the Tactician class doesn't allow it in the original game, whereas Ike doesn't make use of Ragnell's projectiles, though one of his newly introduced custom specials does make a short-ranged projectile.

It's seems it's more important to have a cohesive and functioning moveset than lumping moves from source games, i.e. he only uses such moves if there's synergy with the overall design and if the balance isn't severely affected.

Relevancy at the time of planning a new game is an important factor. Again, we've known this before and a lot of character additions suggested this anyway. Characters like Jigglypuff, Sheik, Lucas and Robin are good examples of this.

Interesting details about Roy's VA, Jun Fukuyama. I've heard his voice in some anime and he's definitely a big name for the medium nowadays. Still, it's interesting that he remembers details about his recording session for Melee, though it was over a decade ago and he had a lot more and bigger roles since then.

All in all, bits of new info and reassurance about earlier subjects about Smash. And it really seems that DLC is coming to an end... Well, we're about to find out about the last batches of content soon.

Not to mention Great Aether traps enemies. What does Ike use to trap his enemies? He summons flames from Ragnell
Creative liberties. Artistic license. Whatever you want to call it.

Sakurai never 100% recreates a character for Smash. In several cases, it's impossible. You're taking the characters too literally in regards to what they do in their original games. From a game design point of view, that isn't quite feasible.

Also, his flames were changed to blue this time around, making them more of a reference to Radiant Dawn in which Ike obtains the goddess Yune's power in the finale, manifesting as blue flames. At the same time, the moveset remains the same, so it's a win-win situation here.

If Ike trapping enemies with a flashier version of Aether is out-of-character, I guess Robin's Pair Up is also inaccurate to source material... :rolleyes: Trapping enemies is a common mechanic for super moves in fighting games, which is what Final Smashes are. Basically, if you hit the first blow, the rest of the attack executes in its entirety.

Ryu's Shin Shoryuken also traps enemies in one first blow before proceeding for the rest of the attack, this applying to both Smash and his own source games. Thing is, Ike and Robin didn't have any kind of super moves in their games, so something had to be made up to fill that spot in their moveset.

With Ike, they used his signature Aether skill as inspiration, whereas with Robin, the inspiration is the Pair Up mechanic from FE: Awakening. From those, they devised flashy moves, suitable for a Final Smash [= fighting game super move].

Putting a character from a genre of game into another of a different genre, with different gameplay will always require adjustments.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Great and very insightful interview!

So, all the secret characters in Smash 64 were made using pre-existing assets of the base 8 characters. Luigi is based on Mario, Jigglypuff on Kirby, Falcon is possibly based on the humanoid generic fighter from the Ryuoh prototype (also sharing some moves with Samus) and I think Ness may be loosely based on Mario.

Of the 4, Ness is the one that had most modification to the assets used to create him.

Seems like Roy was somewhat based on an earlier concept of his game. Seems like Sakurai used in-development documentation as basis for his Smash portrayal, which reminds me of how Hyrule Castle in 64 doesn't fully reflect the final version of Ocarina of Time.

The whole thing about Roy debuting in Smash before his own game seemed accidental too. I wonder if the same could apply to Woolly World in Smash 4... Or MGS4 content in Brawl.

Counter moves of FE characters are based on the series' combat mechanics. Many have already theorized that, but now we have confirmation from the man himself.

Once more, Sakurai talks about how he takes some creative liberties in regards to the characters for gameplay and balancing purposes. Robin uses Nosferatu, though the Tactician class doesn't allow it in the original game, whereas Ike doesn't make use of Ragnell's projectiles, though one of his newly introduced custom specials does make a short-ranged projectile.

It's seems it's more important to have a cohesive and functioning moveset than lumping moves from source games, i.e. he only uses such moves if there's synergy with the overall design and if the balance isn't severely affected.

Relevancy at the time of planning a new game is an important factor. Again, we've known this before and a lot of character additions suggested this anyway. Characters like Jigglypuff, Sheik, Lucas and Robin are good examples of this.

Interesting details about Roy's VA, Jun Fukuyama. I've heard his voice in some anime and he's definitely a big name for the medium nowadays. Still, it's interesting that he remembers details about his recording session for Melee, though it was over a decade ago and he had a lot more and bigger roles since then.

All in all, bits of new info and reassurance about earlier subjects about Smash. And it really seems that DLC is coming to an end... Well, we're about to find out about the last batches of content soon.

Creative liberties. Artistic license. Whatever you want to call it.

Sakurai never 100% recreates a character for Smash. In several cases, it's impossible. You're taking the characters too literally in regards to what they do in their original games. From a game design point of view, that isn't quite feasible.

Also, his flames were changed to blue this time around, making them more of a reference to Radiant Dawn in which Ike obtains the goddess Yune's power in the finale, manifesting as blue flames. At the same time, the moveset remains the same, so it's a win-win situation here.

If Ike trapping enemies with a flashier version of Aether is out-of-character, I guess Robin's Pair Up is also inaccurate to source material... :rolleyes: Trapping enemies is a common mechanic for super moves in fighting games, which is what Final Smashes are. Basically, if you hit the first blow, the rest of the attack executes in its entirety.

Ryu's Shin Shoryuken also traps enemies in one first blow before proceeding for the rest of the attack, this applying to both Smash and his own source games. Thing is, Ike and Robin didn't have any kind of super moves in their games, so something had to be made up to fill that spot in their moveset.

With Ike, they used his signature Aether skill as inspiration, whereas with Robin, the inspiration is the Pair Up mechanic from FE: Awakening. From those, they devised flashy moves, suitable for a Final Smash [= fighting game super move].

Putting a character from a genre of game into another of a different genre, with different gameplay will always require adjustments.
Creative liberties =/= giving Ike a projectile and saying he doesn't have any

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Creative liberties =/= giving Ike a projectile and saying he doesn't have any
He doesn't have any projectiles in Smash. He does have in PoR and RD, but NOT in Smash. That's what Sakurai is saying.

It's all about context, which you clearly are not paying attention to. He had just stated that Robin has Nosferatu in Smash, whereas in Awakening, he can't have it as a Tactician. Just right after talking about that, he mentions Ike's lack of projectiles.

In other words, similar to how Robin uses Nosferatu in a way he can't use in Awakening (i.e. as a Tactician), Ike cannot use Ragnell's projectile in Smash [despite having the ability to do so in his own games].

You literally took Sakurai's statement out of context and made a wrong interpretation of what was stated. Tell me, how can I argue with someone and take them seriously if said person cannot even read what's stated in an interview?

And this is how misinformation is spread and how "Sakurai's logic is incomprehensible". People can't even properly interpret an interview. This is worrisome.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
He doesn't have any projectiles in Smash. He does have in PoR and RD, but NOT in Smash. That's what Sakurai is saying.

It's all about context, which you clearly are not paying attention to. He had just stated that Robin has Nosferatu in Smash, whereas in Awakening, he can't have it as a Tactician. Just right after talking about that, he mentions Ike's lack of projectiles.

In other words, similar to how Robin uses Nosferatu in a way he can't use in Awakening (i.e. as a Tactician), Ike cannot use Ragnell's projectile in Smash [despite having the ability to do so in his own games].

You literally took Sakurai's statement out of context and made a wrong interpretation of what was stated. Tell me, how can I argue with someone and take them seriously if said person cannot even read what's stated in an interview?

And this is how misinformation is spread and how "Sakurai's logic is incomprehensible". People can't even properly interpret an interview. This is worrisome.
I didn't know flames coming out of Rangell don't count as a ****ing projectile. Don't act all 'WELL CREATIVE LIVERTIES EXIST BECAUSE I ATE CHERRY PIE' or some ****. Ike has 2 projectiles in Smash, the Great Aether flames at the start up and the custom shockwave

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I didn't know flames coming out of Rangell don't count as a ****ing projectile. Don't act all 'WELL CREATIVE LIVERTIES EXIST BECAUSE I ATE CHERRY PIE' or some ****. Ike has 2 projectiles in Smash, the Great Aether flames at the start up and the custom shockwave
Why so serious?
It's just a video game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wouldn't that mean that Ganondorf's third Warlock Punch special is considered a projectile even though its just a giant explosion around his fist and nothing more?
1: Flames coming out of sword extending Ike's range
2: Shockwave
GG
Why so serious?
It's just a video game.
I'm serious because someone said I didn't understand Sakurai and criticized me despite not understanding me at all

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not in Brawl. His Eruption and Great Aether aren't projectile moves either. They just have fiery effects.

Sakurai's obviously referring to the long ranged attack from FE, which is absent in Smash outside of the newly added Aether Wave custom special (i.e. not part of the base moveset), which is a very toned down version of the projectile. Sakurai was talking about the design process for their Smash debut, about how the movesets came to be in the first place. In Brawl, Ike has no projectiles whatsoever.

By that logic, Ganondorf has projectiles because he can blast foes with dark magic through Flame Choke and Dark Dive.

But I'm not wasting any further time arguing with you. I have no patience to argue about this kind of thing. It's just a video game and fictional characters.

Wouldn't that mean that Ganondorf's third Warlock Punch special is considered a projectile even though its just a giant explosion around his fist and nothing more?
This.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not in Brawl. His Eruption and Great Aether aren't projectile moves either. They just have fiery effects.

Sakurai's obviously referring to the long ranged attack from FE, which is absent in Smash outside of the newly added Aether Wave custom special (i.e. not part of the base moveset), which is a very toned down version of the projectile. Sakurai was talking about the design process for their Smash debut, about how the movesets came to be in the first place. In Brawl, Ike has no projectiles whatsoever.

By that logic, Ganondorf has projectiles because he can blast foes with dark magic through Flame Choke and Dark Dive.

But I'm not wasting any further time arguing with you. I have no patience to argue about this kind of thing. It's just a video game and fictional characters.

This.
Nice. Ignore how I clearly say Great Aether flames the flames that extend Ike's reach quite a bit, debuted in Brawl, say Eruption, and then say 'I'm not wasting any time'

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nice. Ignore how I clearly say Great Aether flames the flames that extend Ike's reach quite a bit, debuted in Brawl, say Eruption, and then say 'I'm not wasting any time'
Uh, no. Great Aether's first blow is just a melee attack. It doesn't have any long-ranged projectile. Eruption is also a melee attack.

Again, Sakurai was talking about the Ragnell's projectile from the FE games, which is a shock wave of energy.

By that logic, Ganondorf's third Warlock Punch variant is a projectile because his punch causes an explosion of dark magic.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ohhhh I see what you mean.

Pretty sure what you are referring to is a disjoint, not a projectile.

Also pretty sure the same applies to eruption and shockwave.

The only reason why I would say that shockwave ISN'T a projectile is because it doesn't operate independently in the way, say a Mario fireball can.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Uh, no. Great Aether's first blow is just a melee attack. It doesn't have any long-ranged projectile. Eruption is also a melee attack.

Again, Sakurai was talking about the Ragnell's projectile from the FE games, which is a shock wave of energy.

By that logic, Ganondorf's third Warlock Punch variant is a projectile because his punch causes an explosion of dark magic.
Flames come out of sword. Flames have more range than sword. Hitbox is much bigger than sword. Hadouken isn't a projectile if Dan uses it either I suppose.
Ohhhh I see what you mean.

Pretty sure what you are referring to is a disjoint, not a projectile.

Also pretty sure the same applies to eruption and shockwave.

The only reason why I would say that shockwave ISN'T a projectile is because it doesn't operate independently in the way, say a Mario fireball can.
Disjoints don't have huge ass flames that greatly extend Ike's reach

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
Disjoints don't have huge *** flames that greatly extend Ike's reach
To me this sounds like the implication is that the light flash for Triforce Slash's startup is a projectile (I know the initial range is rather different, but still they both extent beyond the blades' normal range)

...which isn't what a projectile is

(Out of interest can Aether Wave be reflected in any way? I feel like the Smash definition of projectiles involves their ability to be reflected, but don't quote me on that)

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Flames come out of sword. Flames have more range than sword. Hitbox is much bigger than sword. Hadouken isn't a projectile if Dan uses it either I suppose.
It's still a melee attack in regards to move data and execution. The flames are still part of the sword rather than being an independent object. The flames only extend the hitbox's size, but it's just a special effect.

And I repeat again for the last time: Sakurai was talking about Ragnell's shock wave projectile from FE which isn't in Smash outside of a very toned down version of it for the Aether Wave custom special, meaning it didn't exist when Brawl was developed, as in, when Ike's moveset was devised in the first place.

That's what Sakurai is talking about in the interview and you're still not getting it. He's talking about putting source material incorporated into the characters' movesets in Smash.

You can't be serious right now.

The point of a ****ing disjoint is that they extend the reach of a move, and in this case, its Great Aether
This, again.

I'm done with this crap. See you guys in a few moments.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Christ. I caused an argument all because someone I can't ignore yelled at me for not fully understanding something. First my 100 euro cellphone can't even ****ing play music I legally downloaded and now this. Last time I checked I enjoyed being here. Can't even have that can I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom