• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
(Out of interest can Aether Wave be reflected in any way? I feel like the Smash definition of projectiles involves their ability to be reflected, but don't quote me on that)
Not necessarily, although 95% of them can be reflected.

Non-reflectable projectiles include Bowser Jr.'s clown car (After his Up B) and DHD's clay pigeon (it breaks if someone attempts to reflect it.)

:231:

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
Taking a slightly different approach to the whole "Ragnell doesn't fire shockwaves **** you Sakurai", given that I don't remember Sakurai's design philosophy on how Ike was devised, would it be a reasonable assumption to say that the emphasis on a rough/blunt mercenary sword style and Ike's inherent strength meant that something like a projectile would come off as being a bit too 'technical' or 'refined' to suit such a Smash character design?
I suppose that could also partially explain Eruption as not-canon-in-source as that move might have been constructed to emphasise the force/power side compared with the finesse and refinement of the retooled Shield Breaker.

...and on a completely different topic, AUS's Badge Arcade got MP10 badges today and I got incredibly lucky with my two free plays (1 from opening and 1 from the practice) to get all of the badge-application badges. (I'm rocking them now since they look really polished on the Home Menu)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What are we discussing exactly? Is it the upper part of Ike's Aether? Because that is just a disjoint hitbox and not a projectile
I think any and all projectiles would be moves Villager can pocket and Aether can't, it's technically always connected to Ike
Not necessarily, although 95% of them can be reflected.

Non-reflectable projectiles include Bowser Jr.'s clown car (After his Up B) and DHD's clay pigeon (it breaks if someone attempts to reflect it.)

I don't know about the Clown Car but the Clay Pigein can be Pocketed so I guess my theory might be correct? :dr^_^:

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
What are we discussing exactly? Is it the upper part of Ike's Aether? Because that is just a disjoint hitbox and not a projectile
I think Anna was arguing about the initial hit of Great Aether and the wave bit of Aether Wave (the latter of which I've never used on my Ike custom sets bc Drive master race) being projectiles

D

Deleted member

I think Anna was arguing about the initial hit of Great Aether and the wave bit of Aether Wave (the latter of which I've never used on my Ike custom sets bc Drive master race) being projectiles
Great Aether? Eww, who plays with items on?
Well, I do but that's besides the point here
But yeah, that's just a disjointed hitbox
I don't know about customs tho

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we're getting mixed up between projectile in the Fire Emblem sense (can hit more than one square away) and the Smash Bros sense (reflect-able disjoint attack.)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The most interesting part of that article is that Marth was a character Sakurai wanted to be in Smash 64. I wonder if characters like Diddy Kong and Wario were also heavily considered for Smash 64.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I just want to clarify something when you say paper mario is popular.

he is, but it;s also the most silently wanted character i have ever seen. What I mean is he's mentioned like a very unpopular character, but he is actually very wanted.

So, I disagree saying a good chunk of people would say paper mario, a good chunk woudl want it, but it;s harder to find mentions of him :)
It seems a few people were confused by the distinction. I made the distinction specifically with characters who were super popular within the community. As in, characters who are talked about a lot in this community and if I asked this question would almost definitely be pretty much the only ones that would meet the answer to the question (I mentioned Paper Mario mainly because there was whole big multi-page discussion and he gets brought up a lot regardless). Tbh I was expecting a lot more Waluigi since I didn't name him haha.

I forgot about Cooking Mama! Haha she'd be awesome. Pious would be interesting, I never played Eternal Darkness so I don't remember it much.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The most interesting part of that article is that Marth was a character Sakurai wanted to be in Smash 64. I wonder if characters like Diddy Kong and Wario were also heavily considered for Smash 64.
We know Bowser and Mewtwo were, IIRC. PushDustIn PushDustIn

I think there was a Miyamoto interview stating that Bowser would be in Smash 64.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I knew Bowser and Mewtwo were intended to be in. I was just wondering if Wario and Diddy were heavily considered for Smash 64
Nah. We don't know that. Sakurai only mentioned about Bowser and Mewtwo.

Wario was considered for Melee, though. He would've been the next non-clone character.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I think any and all projectiles would be moves Villager can pocket and Aether can't, it's technically always connected to Ike

I don't know about the Clown Car but the Clay Pigein can be Pocketed so I guess my theory might be correct? :dr^_^:
You know it would be funny if it was a projectile, like Ike throws the Ragnell and all of a sudden it attacks him. :joyful:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Dedede was also considered for both Smash 64 and Melee.
Don't think I found a reliable source for Melee. I wouldn't doubt it, but all the sources I found reference that troll NeoGaf post.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Don't think I found a reliable source for Melee. I wouldn't doubt it, but all the sources I found reference that troll NeoGaf post.
Well, even if not true, it's likely.

Many elements considered for Smash 64 were also for Melee, such as Final Smashes and character choices (that made into Melee such as Bowser and Mewtwo).

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
So I just woke up from about 30 seconds worth of another dream about the broadcast. I dreamt that Sakurai made the broadcast Christmas-themed, and was singing about Cloud (who was actually Dark Pit for some reason) being released on January 4, to the tune of "O Tannenbaum" or something.

Also, know what I just realized would make the presentation 10 times more hype? If Xander Mobus narrated it again. Make it happen, Nintendo.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Great and very insightful interview!

So, all the secret characters in Smash 64 were made using pre-existing assets of the base 8 characters. Luigi is based on Mario, Jigglypuff on Kirby, Falcon is possibly based on the humanoid generic fighter from the Ryuoh prototype (also sharing some moves with Samus) and I think Ness may be loosely based on Mario.
Ness is definitely based on Mario in 64, though differentiated significantly in development to the point they're not really even semi-clones, like Wolf to Fox in Brawl. Their models are very similar (which is especially apparent in their polygon form), and they share a few moves (SmashWiki lists their jab combo, forward tilt, and getup attacks on the clone article).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I didn't know The Cutting Room Floor has a wacky side to it.

They love to add comments as alt text to their images. :laugh:

upload_2015-12-13_20-24-28.png

upload_2015-12-13_20-25-42.png

And this one made my day.

upload_2015-12-13_20-28-56.png

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So when playing Nintendo Badge Arcade today, one badge actually fell off the stage by itself and I obtained it without even touching the crane moving button. Pretty crazy I must say.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Come to think of it, as much as some people acted like it was a big revelation, recent prominence was a factor we already knew was major as Sakurai already stated that characters from franchises without an upcoming game had a major disadvantage.

Chrono.

Come to think of it, as much as some people acted like it was a big revelation, recent prominence was a factor we already knew was major as Sakurai already stated that characters from franchises without an upcoming game had a major disadvantage.
It's nice having further confirmation, if anything.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It may not be the case for DLC.
So my expectations are still the same regardless. :p
There's no reason whatsoever to think that it's any different for DLC.

Unless you think "I want (insert irrelevant character here) to make it, so I'm ignoring this!" is a valid reason.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's no reason whatsoever to think that it's any different for DLC.

Unless you think "I want (insert irrelevant character here) to make it, so I'm ignoring this!" is a valid reason.
This. If K. Rool makes it in as a playable DLC character, it will be in spite of his absence from the DK series due to his merits outweighing that disadvantage.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Most people can say delusion, most people can say it's just Sakurai's BS thought process and others can just say it's for advertising reasons, but in all honesty, recency will forever play a factor in Smash development pre and post launch.

Let's put it like this, Captain Toad was highly requested due to his game coming out in late 2014 and considering how he was in that, it caught on and so did DLC. Splatoon was the hot new thing coming out thanks to E3, other events and timed demos to where it got massive voting in polls before the game ever came out.

In a sense it is relevancy but in a small sense advertisement for the games that features these characters. You can download Super Mario Galaxy 2, Punch Out Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii U eShop, buy Pokemon X/Y, Kid Icarus Uprising, New Super Mario Bros 2 and Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS. It's mostly easy access advertising for small in a small aspect but it isn't the reason.

Sorry for the long post

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It's best to hammer these points in as often as possible, because they rarely get through to people.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know, the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary interview made em realize that Dixie would almost certainly have been in the game if Tropical Freeze came out a year earlier.

Donkey Kong Country Returns was a huge revival, but it didn't really feature any characters outside of Diddy and Donkey.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary interview made em realize that Dixie would almost certainly have been in the game if Tropical Freeze came out a year earlier.

Donkey Kong Country Returns was a huge revival, but it didn't really feature and characters outside of Diddy and Donkey.
I still think she could have been left out, the same way Dedede was left out of Melee despite being planned for Smash 64.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you guys, but I think Wolfs chances are looking pretty good now that we've gotten a chance to read this interview.

You're first @Luigi The President

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Donkey Kong Country Returns was a huge revival, but it didn't really feature and characters outside of Diddy and Donkey.
Ehh it really depends on the situation. It would be nice if TF was released as Wii U launch title since it'll help her moreso. If the game was released a year earlier then it probably wouldn't have matter since the roster was decided in 2012 aside from the clones.

I don't know about you guys, but I think Wolfs chances are looking pretty good now that we've gotten a chance to read this interview.

You're first @Luigi The President
Stupei please

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Honestly, unpopluar opinion here: I think Wolf in 3DS/Wii U is going to be the same fate as Mewtwo in Brawl.

Before Brawl roster was revealed, the was ton of questioning if Mewtwo was going to return, people kept on expecting it to return throughout the entire development cycle without solid proof, and tons of fake leaks including Mewtwo.

I'm now seeing the same thing for Wolf currently.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind Wolf, but I'm saying his fate is most likely dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom