• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Hey, I think he'd totally be cool as one of the final characters...tying in Smash and Nintendo and all of its history. Obviously his FS would be Off Waves.
Then again, if Tabuu and his big wings can get into Smash...then...why can't...
Then why can't Yveltal be playable?

Your guess is as good as mine.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Is the one who made this implying Tabuu is going to be DLC, or are they just using Tabuu to hype the Broa-oh who the **** am I kidding, it's the former....
*Sigh* This fanbase sometimes.....
I think they were more getting at a adventure mode with tabuu

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Is the one who made this implying Tabuu is going to be DLC, or are they just using Tabuu to hype the Broa-oh who the **** am I kidding, it's the former....
*Sigh* This fanbase sometimes.....
Wouldn't be speculation without some good ol' straw grasping! :bee:

Chrono.

Honestly the whole "they're hiding something behind the letters" is literally the same as "Ridley in the clouds".

A bunch of hooey.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was just thinking that myself.:)
Aerith and Sephiroth are my favorite FFVII characters. I won't lie. I don't like Cloud, bar his original FFVII version. His updated personalities are annoying. Still an awesome addition to Smash.

Why isn't Guile's theme a thing yet in Smash?
I'm guessing because Capcom USA didn't find it important. Or Sakurai didn't. It's a meme, but it's not the most important of themes beyond that. Sakurai doesn't only do memes, respectively. I agree it should've been in.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Honestly the whole "they're hiding something behind the letters" is literally the same as "Ridley in the clouds".

A bunch of hooey.
Ridley should of hung out with Cloud more often to be fair, he could of put in a good word for him.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
For everyone who thinks it's still a requirement that 3Rd parties need to be on a Nintendo platform:

1. Sakurai never said it was a requirement. (which in itself should be enough to tell you it's not).

2. Where are references to Cloud's appearances on a Nintendo console? I'm pretty sure it was all Final Fantasy VII.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh yeah, one thing I noticed that hasn't seem to be pointed out. In the short Zelda U footage, Link's face is covered by his hood it seems This cloak seems to be a important part of the game. I wonder why his face is covered if it is( which I am pretty sure it is) and if so, I wonder how it will play into the plot.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'd like to point out that the day before the direct was announced I was hanging out with my friends and I brought up the idea of a Square Enix character getting in Smash. I told them I thought Cloud was the most likely, then 3 days later he gets in. For a moment one of my friends thought I might have known something they didn't.
I could imagine us also receiving these Mii costumes especially since Chocobo hat is a thing now:
  • Sephiroth (Swordfighter)
  • Tifa (Brawler)
  • Barret (Gunner)
Wow, that works too well.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So I've seen some people claim that Cloud has an uninspired moveset but I just don't see it personally. He looks super interesting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This announcement has actually made me want Snake a bit more. I mean we have Ryu and Cloud, so **** it. Snake should return.

I mean short of getting Bomberman (or Simon). Cause either of those would be preferable to me but obv not counting on that.

Sega, Capcom, Namco, and SE... might as well have Konami too, right? Even if they are being dumb as dumb nowadays.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, screw Konami. What they do matters nothing to their characters.
I think Simon would be a fine addition to Smash.

Neo Zero

For everyone who thinks it's still a requirement that 3Rd parties need to be on a Nintendo platform:

1. Sakurai never said it was a requirement. (which in itself should be enough to tell you it's not).

2. Where are references to Cloud's appearances on a Nintendo console? I'm pretty sure it was all Final Fantasy VII.
Moot point as it was on the PSP, but some of his animations (most notably his dash) are from Dissidia. Certainly no Kingdom Hearts or Theatrhythm there though :p

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I seriously hate the "Swordsman" argument
It's dumb, implies there is only one way to use a sword and also acts as if RPGs and other Fantasy setting games don't use them very often
Find an RPG where one of the main characters does not use a sword
And also, please do some research and learn that you can't wield Cloud's giant *** blade like any of the current swordsman wield theirs
I agree that people use that argument waaaaay too much, but there's a good bit of rpg main protags that dont use swords (albeit certainly not many):
  • Senel Coolidge
  • Jude Mathis
  • Zypher, Vashyron, and Leanne
  • Folklore protags (I forgot their names)
  • Commander Shepard
  • Characters from the Valkyria Chronicles series
Those immediately come to mind, but I'm sure there are more, especially if you include characters that can use any weapon.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Moot point as it was on the PSP, but some of his animations (most notably his dash) are from Dissidia. Certainly no Kingdom Hearts or Theatrhythm there though :p
Well, Cloud does wear his Advent Children outfit in KH2.

That's about it. Hopefully KH1 Cloud gets added as an alt like that one time in Dissidia. That'd be amazing.

Neo Zero

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Apparently, the coming Smash direct is the very last one.
Makes sense, Sakurai has been saying from the beginning that he can't keep DLC going, so laying everything left on the table next month would be a good way to end it off.

I wish we could get trophies of all the FF7 party members plus Sephiroth. Oh well. ~_~
Yeah, I'm only really expecting Cloud and Sephiroth based on what happened with Street Fighter, maybe the summons since they seem to have models that could be reused.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Witnessing the internet today in retrospect was an amusing afair.

There wasn't a much salt or praise as I expected, but just complete bewilderment and shock.

For years Cloud was mocked as just a pipe-dream even as far as wishlists go, so considering how much this took people by surprise I fully consider Cloud to 100% to be a curveball "WTF" character. In hindsight, the most popular RPG protagonist from the most popular RPG game is obviously an icon, but I still find his inclusion to be one that many didn't see coming so I still think he classifies as a "surprise" character. I mean, I don't remember any recent leak that anyone took seriously to even have Cloud on there.

As for my thoughts, I'm kind of burnt out on third party characters, so I have no real attachment to his inclusion one way or another. As usual though, happy to his fans that they got such a widely considered unlikely character in the game. Midgardfield stage is cool aesthetically.

Overall, I thought the entire direct to be a little disappointing though, since most of the info we all knew. Even though I wasn't expecting much, it still just seems to drive home that Nintendo has very little to offer this holiday season.

But other than that, for me this was a good day. After all the leaks I guess it's nice to be surprised once in a while, even for a character I don't care about.

---

Thoughts on the previous rumors? Do you think this shoots them dead? Do you think the sources were fed false info to drive them out? Do you think despite missing deadlines they can still happen?

I think the characters that are Shovel Knight and Inkling still have a chance to make it into the game and think they are likely, but I think the rumors themselves may have just been nothing more then false info and rumour-mongering.

As for Wolf, they seem determined to never let him shine. I've completely accepted the fate that he may miss out on the action for whatever reason.

Oh ****.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...details-for-Christmas-and-beyond-1068261.html

The December Direct will be the FINAL SMASH 4 ANNOUCNMENT.

We've come a LONG way.
So December really will be the Grand Finale.

That month is going to be a long one.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, unless they slip in Wolf without a stage, I'm having my doubts about him. We have 2 character and 2 stage slots left(This is excluding Cloud and his stage since we know of him now), and it feels like this last push may very well be newcomers+stages.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Also, people saying that Cloud "isn't deserving" of a spot are delusional.

Cloud is iconic as ****.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Endgame approaches everyone.

Also, when Sakurai said, "I think I've fulfilled a difficult request, I'll elaborate more in December," the first thing I thought of was Ridley. He's been consistently popular, and Sakurai has changed his mind on a whim due to fan demand before (Mewtwo). What if he suddenly got an idea for Ridley and he'll be the the final hype reveal?

Mind you I'm not a Ridley fan by any means, but Sakurai has always mentioned Ridley as a difficult character to do for Smash, which is why he didn't get in, but what if he's finally done it?

I'd definitely get a laugh out of it.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm honestly starting to think the other two placeholder spots are third parties.

Three characters with three stages, one gets announced and it's freakin' Cloud Strife? Just seems to fall into place.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Since the reveal, everytime I scrolled through the Wii U/3DS Character Discussion page and saw Cloud's section, I couldn't help but chuckle.

Its been several hours and I still can't believe he got in. Even though I don't care for Cloud personally, I'm looking forward to playing as him as well as looking forward to the new Smash content coming next month.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's an important question.

When did production on Cloud and Midgar start?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I finally get home from the agonizing wait at work.

Heh.

Heh...

I've been saying it since the beginning, Sakurai doesn't care how Nintendo a third party is, and now we have someone even more associated with Sony than Snake was. And along with Ryu, another one with an upcoming PS4 exclusive game. I even said before that if Squeenix ever got a character, it'd be Cloud. Funny, that. Never played Final Fantasy, but I'm really hyped for him.

Now it's Snake or nothing, the Brawl theme even played at the end of the trailer...
Let's throw Rayman in there too, Ubisoft "abandoning" the Wii U is nowhere near the fiasco with FF7 and Squeenix. Seven third parties, truly the greatest character game.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So I've seen some people claim that Cloud has an uninspired moveset but I just don't see it personally. He looks super interesting.
They say that about every character they don't want gets into smash,If it was their character of choice they wouldn't be saying that. They just look for anyway to discredit a character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You can hit me with your "DLC IS NOT FOR PROMOTION" and all, but I still think it's entirely possible Wolf shows up around SFZ's launch.

Obviously they are not using the DLC to push their recent releases (other than with stages I guess), but if they were already intending to have Wolf, aligning him around the release of SFZ makes a lot of sense.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

My guess is pretty early on, since they would have to reach an agreement and legal mumbo jumbo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

At the same time

I'm pretty sure a lot of the ballot leads were high up from the beginning

He could have very well saw a pattern months ago and went with it

Shroob

Sup?
You can hit me with your "DLC IS NOT FOR PROMOTION" and all, but I still think it's entirely possible Wolf shows up around SFZ's launch.

Obviously they are not using the DLC to push their recent releases (other than with stages I guess), but if they were already intending to have Wolf, aligning him around the release of SFZ makes a lot of sense.
We'll have an idea of their plans in December, I feel.

If they don't datamine new character slots when the Cloud patch hits, I think it's GG. They have always had at least empty character slots ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom