• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

n88

Smash Lord
Any SoulCalibur characters? Nightmare better be in there.....

Anywho, I downloaded the old demo a while ago, but I wasn't fond of the controls or physics. Eagerly awaiting the new demo.

Falcon88

Smash Ace

Anywho, I downloaded the old demo a while ago, but I wasn't fond of the controls or physics. Eagerly awaiting the new demo.
Nightmare would be wicked. It will be hard to find sprites for him, though. As for the new demo, I think you'll find the controls to be simpler and the physics to be MUCH better. :)

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings

Yeah, neither were we. That's why we redeveloped the engine. Soul Calibur characters, huh? Nightmare is quite an interesting request, right Falcon? ;)

NightDragon

Smash Cadet
The only suggesting I'm making is Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

I also have a question, will I be able to play this game via wii?

Falcon88

Smash Ace
The only suggesting I'm making is Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

I also have a question, will I be able to play this game via wii?
It's a PC game made with Game Maker. I don't know how we could port a Game Maker game to the Wii at this time, but it's a decent suggestion. We'll see.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Just wanted to provide a quickie update - Ristar is in!

Ristar is the star of a game for the Genesis/Mega Drive developed by Sonic Team. The game was released in 1995 and was overshadowed by the new Sega Saturn and other 32- and 64-bit systems being released at the time. However, it stands as one of the best Genesis games, according to players, and one of the most overlooked games on the Genesis due to its inconvenient timing.

Ristar is a hero - simply put. He lies dormant in space until the prayers of the people of the Valdi system awaken him, when he springs into action! He uses his stretchy arms to grab hold of enemies and objects to swing himself around or bash into and defeat his enemies.

In SSBC, he's a lightweight character who is slow on the ground but moderately fast in the air. His long arms give him lots of reach. He's fun to play!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
B&K (in avatar)

I've always thought of B&K like the smash character not in the smash series. Multiple jumps, projectile, unique things but a combat type build to the character. And classic of course.

Best of luck with your stuff

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Oh! This looks like a cool game, I'll download the demo an---

*looks at the selection of characters, specifically the large amount of third party and anime fanboy characters*

Never mind.

As you can tell, I'm disappointed. If I want to play as a nonsensical amount of anime and third parties, I'll play smash flash.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Oh! This looks like a cool game, I'll download the demo an---

*looks at the selection of characters, specifically the large amount of third party and anime fanboy characters*

Never mind.

As you can tell, I'm disappointed. If I want to play as a nonsensical amount of anime and third parties, I'll play smash flash.
Nonsensical? Please read the other posts. Goku is the only Anime character!!!

I wish moderators would not allow these kinds of posts.

Edit: The reason we don't like these posts is because they are made by members who haven't read the full information on the game that is posted here and assume the game is going to be such-and-such based on the few lines they have read. The 'large' number of third parties is not big compared to the large Nintendo and second-party cast, and they are all worthy representatives. Please, we put a lot of time and effort into the game, so don't make uninformed criticisms.

This game is nothing like Smash Flash or Smash Flash II, I can guarantee. I could list some differences, but Flash II junkies would be down my throat. :p

Falcon88

Smash Ace
VS Mode Demo Details

Well, it's been over 48 hours, so I think another post is okay...

Demo VS Mode Features

In the upcoming demo, we have almost all of the planned features for VS Mode implemented. Here's what you'll find in VS Mode:

Game Types:
Stock: Arguably the most commonly played match in Smash, and the default mode in this game, this mode is a survival test. Each player is given a certain number of lives, and if all the character's lives are depleted, then that character loses and drops out for the rest of the match. The last remaining character wins! It's fairly straightforward. You may set the stock from 1 to 99.

Time: In this mode, each player must try to score as many points as possible within the set time. Points are earned by knocking out the other players. Getting knocked out or falling off the stage results in lost points. The winner is determined by point total. You can set the time from 1 minute to 99 minutes.

Stamina: This game mode is another survival mode, but this time, each character has a set amount of HP, which can be depleted by attacks. Whoever is the last one standing with any HP remaining wins. Unlike the other games, knockback does not increase with damage in Stamina. You can set the HP from 5 to 1000 by increments of 5.

Settings:
Rule: Here is where you set the mode: Stock, Time, or Stamina.
Final Smash: Set Final Smashes on or off.
Max Final Smash Power: The power required to use a Final Smash. This power is built up over time by giving and taking damage (as in Street Fighter's Super system). When this amount is reached, as indicated by the words "FINAL SMASH" appearing in the Smash Gauge, your character can unleash a Final Smash. So, the higher this value is set, the less often Final Smashes will occur. It can be set from 50 to 1000. Default is 200.
Item Frequency: Allows you to set how often random items appear from None to Very High.
Damage Ratio: Here you may set how much knockback attacks cause. 100% is default.
Starting Damage: This setting controls how much damage characters have when they spawn. You could set it to 300%, and it would simulate Super Sudden Death mode from Melee. Or, you could set it to any value from 0 to 300% in increments of 5.
Game Speed: Allows you to set the speed the game is played from 50% to 150%. It's hard to play this game at 150% speed, but it might be fun to watch. :) On the other hand, slower speeds are pretty dramatic and interesting, but they might put you to sleep after a few matches. :chuckle:

And, that's about all you have for this demo. We have tried to squeeze in all the features we thought necessary before the demo, picking out the ones we thought Smash fans would deem most important. It's been a long 5 months implementing all this stuff :dizzy: so we hope you enjoy it.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Hey all.
Hope everyone is having a happy holiday. Well, our holidays have put us out of working on the game, but only a little, so we'll have the game up by the 31st. Hope you all can wait!

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Okie Dokie everybody!
The game is uploading right now!
We'll confirm the game by posting a link to the trailer and download as soon as the game is ready!

Qarano

Smash Cadet
Cool, looks fun! Can't wait for the official release. I beleive if you get game maker pro, there is a tutorial on how to set up online play on the gamemaker site, so that could help...

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Demo 1 is Now Available!

The first demo of Super Smash Bros Crusade is now available!
Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?niz2jmdzyzm

In this demo there are 14 chracters and 6 stages playable in VS Mode. There is also a small options menu. In the Character Select Screen, you can press "A" or the equivalent to change the rules when the cursor is over the field that says "3-stock Survival Test!".

Please do realize that this is a very early version of the game (well, six months in, anyhow).

Hope you enjoy it!

By the way, here's a trailer made by DrMariox promoting the demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZ8flzkWwU

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
WOW! INCREDIBLE!
This is by far the best smashbros fangame I have seen.
There were a few things that came to mind though:
It'd be nice to have custom controls, including game controller support.
Online mode (i have done some programming in this area, i have been using game maker for a few years)
the music could loop better, (i could help with this)
and the bug where you keep moving if the opposite direction is pressed before the other is released.
I could probably also give it an option for a 2.5D, for i have made 3D games in game maker.
Hope i can help... PM me if interested :)

humble

Smash Ace
WOW! INCREDIBLE!
This is by far the best smashbros fangame I have seen.
There were a few things that came to mind though:
It'd be nice to have custom controls, including game controller support.
Online mode (i have done some programming in this area, i have been using game maker for a few years)
the music could loop better, (i could help with this)
and the bug where you keep moving if the opposite direction is pressed before the other is released.
I could probably also give it an option for a 2.5D, for i have made 3D games in game maker.
Hope i can help... PM me if interested :)
or post, so we can spy and see what you guys are working on. :laugh: (DLing the game now, I'll let you know what I think once I get the chance to play)

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm thinking about making a new thread specifically for the demo releases and making this thread into an idea/request thread.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
Eh ... After reading 9 pages of flaming, I have to say ... I'm sort of indifferent on this. I planned on a whole "Stop now and save some life," but after seeing what jerks people were just because you tossed an idea, I fully support you. I'm not saying I do or do not think this project will happen, but with a released demo (that I haven't downloaded just yet,) I'm thinking that you DO mean business.

Although I will say one thing - Don't be such a jerk when telling others what characters will or will NOT be in. "Forget Geno" wasn't needed. Personally I'm glad he wasn't in Brawl (although that's another story,) but you could've been a little nicer about it - I'm glad I didn't read it and hoped you happened to like Ashley (or even know who she IS.)

Just do us all a huge favor - Don't go the route of SSF. I can see where people got angry with Goku not being a video game character, but in the long run, please don't go beserk at the last minute and add Naruto or Inuyasha just because someone thinks "they shuld b in teh game lol" Nothing against the characters, just ... Yeah.

Okay, I'm done. I hope I wasn't too negative or mean to you.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Eh ... After reading 9 pages of flaming, I have to say ... I'm sort of indifferent on this. I planned on a whole "Stop now and save some life," but after seeing what jerks people were just because you tossed an idea, I fully support you. I'm not saying I do or do not think this project will happen, but with a released demo (that I haven't downloaded just yet,) I'm thinking that you DO mean business.

Although I will say one thing - Don't be such a jerk when telling others what characters will or will NOT be in. "Forget Geno" wasn't needed. Personally I'm glad he wasn't in Brawl (although that's another story,) but you could've been a little nicer about it - I'm glad I didn't read it and hoped you happened to like Ashley (or even know who she IS.)

Just do us all a huge favor - Don't go the route of SSF. I can see where people got angry with Goku not being a video game character, but in the long run, please don't go beserk at the last minute and add Naruto or Inuyasha just because someone thinks "they shuld b in teh game lol" Nothing against the characters, just ... Yeah.

Okay, I'm done. I hope I wasn't too negative or mean to you.
I apologize on behalf of Mr. Phantom7 ;) but what you're talking about is super-old! As of now, there's no telling whether Geno actually will be in the game. He might, for all we know!

I am making a new thread for this reason. A lot of things in this thread are, frankly, stupid and old.

Anyhow, hope you like the game so far.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
As of now, there's no telling whether Geno actually will be in the game. He might, for all we know!
Oh dear, you must've read me wrong - NOT a Geno fan here. I never even bothered going down that road after the Geno fans flamed me for wanting Ashley in Brawl (which is why I very rarely suggest her in fanmade games, since I get bashed for it.)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I got to download this and see if we got a legitimately decent engine at hand. If there's anything that turns me off about a Smash fangame, it's a bad or inaccurate engine. A good Smash fangame engine requires dedication, research, precision, and insight. You don't throw 20 characters and 10 stages into it (heck, I wouldn't even go for more than 4) until you absolutely got that engine down.

Now SSF2 at this point isn't necessarily that great, but it certainly has come a long way from the garbage engine that was SSF1. The engine is fairly good, but is ridden with bugs (as expected; it's not easy business). I'm still waiting on v0.6, which should hopefully fix the hitstun glitch. And like Joe-kun stated, please don't make 1/3 of it anime characters or 1/2 of it made of 3rd party & anime characters. I know we shouldn't be shooting down character ideas, but for the love of god keep Naruto and Inuyasha out.

This is coming from a Game Maker developer. I highly prioritize the engine over anything. Screw quantity if you don't have quality. Still need to download this though before I make a judgement.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
Still need to download this though before I make a judgement.
Agreed - I'll do the same and edit this with my thoughts on it.

Very fun to play with, I have ONE problem - The control layout. Having to use my left hand and stretch to the I, O, and P keys while my right hand is so close to use the arrow keys was very uncomfortable and awkward. I think the keys should be customizable.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
This is coming from a Game Maker developer. I highly prioritize the engine over anything. Screw quantity if you don't have quality. Still need to download this though before I make a judgement.
Yeah, I know. Mario, the first character, took me like a month to make, as I made him to test out the engine. I know this game isn't bug-free, but I think the game in its current state doesn't have any game-breaking bugs and is a lot of fun!

So try it and post what you think.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
Okay, I can't even get past the Character Select screen. Apparently I'm not pushing the right button, the "A" key does nothing. What are the controls?

EDIT: Scratch that, found 'em.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Okay, I can't even get past the Character Select screen. Apparently I'm not pushing the right button, the "A" key does nothing. What are the controls?
You can press F1 to view the controls anytime. You can even read the readme, if you feel like it.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
Double post - My review's small, but the post was edited.

Oh, guess it ISN'T a double post.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Agreed - I'll do the same and edit this with my thoughts on it.

Very fun to play with, I have ONE problem - The control layout. Having to use my left hand and stretch to the I, O, and P keys while my right hand is so close to use the arrow keys was very uncomfortable and awkward. I think the keys should be customizable.
Awesome. Thanks. I think I hear that a lot, about the controls... hmmm. Maybe I should do this customizable thing! Expect to see customizable controls in the final game.

(But what kind of keyboard are you using? I have tried the game on a full keyboard and on my laptop keyboard and not had any hand-stretching. You should use one hand for 9,I,O, and P and the other for directions. Unless your keyboard is different?)

For anyone else reading, the menu controls are like the fight controls:
1P:
O - A
P - B
Arrow keys- Move
Enter: Confirm
2P:
W - A
E - B
F - left
T - up
G - down
H - right

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Since it appears that character suggestion is allowed, I'd like to suggest a few for the roster.
I'll organize them from most likely to least likely.

Very Likely:
Ridley
Starfy
Samurai Goroh
Krystal
Mewtwo
King K. Rool
Roy
Meowth
Little Mac
Ray 01
Isaac
Dark Samus
Deoxys

Likely:
Bowser Jr.
Midna (with or without Wolf Link)
Darkrai
Gooey (Kirby Series : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1NclKzntYg (Some Language)
Vaati
Zant
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Kamek
Porky (In his Earthbound Spider-bot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbG_gzgyJI )
Masked Man
Micaiah
Balloon Fighter
Mach Rider

Less Likely:
Tinstar ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNos77KnE8w Skip to 1:14) (Personal Favorite of Mine)
Hal Bailman ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3lln5qQ9E ) (He's the main character from HAL's first game, and is named after them. )
Sukapon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5TBT8pTcE ) (Nintendo's first fighting game's main character.)
Ho-oh (For a 2nd gen Pokemon Rep)
Ashnard
Rahu ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2bFIq7X-Q ) (Villain of the Custom Robo Series)
Ogura ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYSspkr5l44 ) (Villain of the Starfy Series)

Never Going to Happen:
Godzilla (I'm a huge Godzilla fan, so I had to include him. All of his games have been on Nintendo systems, with the exception of Save the Earth, and he could be the second Movie/Tv Show character.)

I have movesets for almost all of these guys as well, so if you'd like me to post them, I can.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wild, let me just say that from what I remember of the current character list, you won't be completely disappointed, but quite a few of those aren't planned to be in either. Of course, that could change... After all, I managed to get a few I wanted in ;)
(You might be able to guess one of them...)

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
I think you guys should use Goku's sprites from Jump Superstars, so that his sprites don't clash as much with the rest of the characters. Try to keep a consistent style with the characters to make the game appear more professional.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Wild, let me just say that from what I remember of the current character list, you won't be completely disappointed, but quite a few of those aren't planned to be in either. Of course, that could change... After all, I managed to get a few I wanted in ;)
(You might be able to guess one of them...)
Viewtiful Joe, huh?

Anyways, some of the least likely ones like Tinstar and Hal are the ones I want the most, so I'm gonna post my movesets for those two in a bit, after I track them down.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I think you guys will be very happy with our planned roster! That's all I am going to say about that subject. We have a lot of characters left to make and are still taking suggestions. However, a lot of the character you all have named are in!

Any other comments about the demo before we move on completely? (look back a few posts for the link)

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
I already gave my one character suggestion in a PM, so that won't be something I need to post.

To answer something else, I'm using a laptop keyboard, and like I said, the controls were just awkward. Customizable controls sounds promising.

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
I just played the demo. I pretty much liked everything, and having into account that this is Just a Demo, the only things i should note are the Need of customizable controls and a better display of the fully-charged final smash (cause most of the time i wasted it...but maybe i'm a just a clueless person). I found it Awesome Overall, the highlights are the engine and the roster wich has full-moveset characters for every fandom (yes, i don't think it's overextended, i think it's rich and diverse, it gives its Own Air to the game and it should please every kind of gamer: the smash fan, the retro gamer, the anime fanboy...)

Falcon88

Smash Ace
The game seems to be a CPU hog, it runs incredibly slow on my computer and I have a dual core.
I'm sorry to hear that! I have tested the game on several computers and only found one that didn't run it at full speed (it had a 2.0 GHz Pentium with .99 GB of RAM and Windows XP and no dedicated graphics card). My laptop that I use to develop the game is a Dual Core AMD Turion 64X2 (1.85 GHz) with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (low-end :/, 64 MB memory) and 2.5 GB RAM. And, the game lags sometimes when Smart Bombs go off! :) I realize the game is a little CPU-intensive, but it's Smash Bros. I want the game to be the best it can be, even if it does take a little extra oomph. And actually, I have managed to fix a few problems with lagging that the early version had.

The game should run at 60 fps. If you wait around at the title screen for about 8 seconds, a demo will kick in. A frame rate monitor should be in the top-left corner, and if it is at about 60 fps at any time other than insane Final Smashes or Smart Bombs, you're okay!

Top Bottom