• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
It didn't have gravity lol. My only comment though is that I wish somebody would include Phoenix Wright. The guys in the best adventure game (In my opinion, of course.) on the Nintendo DS, but nobody ever wants to include him in an action game.
Because it could work, it's just difficult, and very easy to get wrong.
You may not realise it now, but even slight misrepresentation is likely to cause random anger at his inclusion.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
The game looks pretty good! It's gonna be hard animating and programming around 70 characters though... for a team of 3 people that's unheard of. Well, may you be the first. I'll try out the demo tomorrow and test out the movement engine. Can't wait!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
New demo coming out soon.

Should have megaman, zant, and more in it.

Gonna keep bothering him about adding k rool at school.

*goes off to design more stages*

edit: (even on an extremely early build before the combat engine was reworked zant was the shiz.)

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
New demo coming out soon.

Should have megaman, zant, and more in it.

Gonna keep bothering him about adding k rool at school.

*goes off to design more stages*

edit: (even on an extremely early build before the combat engine was reworked zant was the shiz.)
NOOO... Zant is not in the demo!! We haven't even revealed him as a character yet!

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Actually, it IS a lot more like Mugen. We even have ripped sounds and special effects from Mugen. Have you seen the new trailer yet??

*I would have multiquoted, but I didn't see this post...
Ahh good old Mugen, where it's possible to see Ken Masters fight Homer Simpson :laugh:.

Anyway can't wait for the demo, hope it's good.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I played the original demo release (not the newest one I guess) and was rather unimpressed by the number of glitches in the game. Do you guys have/ need game testers? I can give you a list of glitches with the movement engine and overall game if you'd like (as well as some suggestions). If I were you, I'd try to get rid of as many glitches as possible now BEFORE creating all of the characters. It'll be harder to fix some of those things later.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Will it still have the same options as regular smash? Like to turn items on or off and have teams play? Also this sounds like a great idea, just as a thought, would it be possible to add in characters that werent necessiarily from a nintendo game (like alucard from Castlevania Symphony of the night) and maybe zero from megaman (unless megaman shares a similar moveset). This does look quite interesting and also could it be possible for some online or LAN funtion?

STMH

Smash Cadet
i bet everyone that this isn't going to be finished. As you guys should not know, i am from McLeodGaming Forums, aka Super Smash Flash Forums. Well on to the main point, i have to say, i would not be suprised that this is going to fail. Your sprites are bad, the trailer quality was **** as hell, and you can't even make a trailer that means anything. Tell me, is seeing sonic knock mario of the stage a few times look promising to you? hell no. And by the way, SSF2 will be a much better game then this. But then, i guess you guys just have low standards. So my point is, and the bottom line is that don't use game maker, and make sprites that are actually decent. Not the common, "Daniel Sydney" sonic sprites, seriously man, get your game on.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
i bet everyone that this isn't going to be finished. As you guys should not know, i am from McLeodGaming Forums, aka Super Smash Flash Forums. Well on to the main point, i have to say, i would not be suprised that this is going to fail. Your sprites are bad, the trailer quality was **** as hell, and you can't even make a trailer that means anything. Tell me, is seeing sonic knock mario of the stage a few times look promising to you? hell no. And by the way, SSF2 will be a much better game then this. But then, i guess you guys just have low standards. So my point is, and the bottom line is that don't use game maker, and make sprites that are actually decent. Not the common, "Daniel Sydney" sonic sprites, seriously man, get your game on.
Of course, this is just what the entire SSF2 team is doing - putting our game down everywhere we post something about it. Why can't you guys mind your own game and let us make ours? The SSBC team doesn't go around putting down SSF2, does it? The games will be completely different. For example, final smashes will work in a new way - by a percent that you can set in the settings menu that goes away after the first time you use it. What I hate, though, is the new downloadable content you guys started where you're stealing all our characters like BomberMan and Ridley. That's pissing us off because I'm trying to make the game as different as possible, then you steal our characters and say SSBC is an SSF2 knockoff. And on sprites, we're working very hard on those, trying to get other people to do some too. As you can see, the SSBC team is small, and it's not easy to get everything done at once. Just wait until you play the demo and see for yourself; it should be up by March 10.

Also, we are going to finish. We've decided for sure. This is something we've wanted to do for a long time, and no one else is stopping us.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think this game isn't going to be finished because of what they have shown, but because of what they have not shown. Meaning, they have sense of scope. They will keep adding more and more stuff and it will never be released. They will get caught up in trying to make 2,000 functioning characters instead of a 20 character fighting game.

That's where I see the problem.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think this game isn't going to be finished because of what they have shown, but because of what they have not shown. Meaning, they have sense of scope. They will keep adding more and more stuff and it will never be released. They will get caught up in trying to make 2,000 functioning characters instead of a 20 character fighting game.

That's where I see the problem.
To be quite honest, I think it's going to turn out differently since I'm sorta on the development team. :p

The way I see it going is most of the later "Demos" being pretty much the main game with more and more characters until we come up with one that is a final product. These early demos are just basic representations.

The engine is coming along nicely, by the way. Several bugs are gone and the combat is much better.

*looks down at new sig*
mmm... Yuki-chan...

Corigames

Smash Hero
How does voicing as a member of the development team who is responsible for the lack of scope suppose to be reassuring to me that you do, in fact, have an actual plan for this game and that you aren't just making it up as you go? How can you say that with every update you plan to work in x, y, and z characters while also working on the engine, making new levels, and making the game more enjoyable and still having a release date within a time period that people will actually get to play it in?

Who on your team has written any plans for this game? Who on your team is leading and making sure that the foundation is being built before supervelous things? How many characters do you intend to have in the complete version? How can you just type that things WILL come along when you have no evidence of what that can be determined as.

Also, Mr. Otaku:
-chan: may also be used towards animals, lovers, intimate friends, and people whom one has known since childhood.

Yuki is none of those to you.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Are you planning on adding a Fire Emblem character or Two? (Besides Marth, Ike, Roy)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Quick question:

-Have you guys made any games before? You should have quite a bit of game making experience before trying to tackle something this large.

You guys need to set your sights lower on how many characters you have in the game. You might think that you'll finish now, but that's sure to change after another few months of programming.

I personally didn't like the first SSF game because it had too many glitches, and at the moment it looks like your game is going to have more. You guys have to fix that movement engine up (can't wait to see the next demo)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Jeez, quite a bit of hate in here.

Personally, I absolutely loved SSF1, and if this game's anywhere near it, I have a feeling I'll enjoy it. Hey, I can't create things like this, and until I can I can't say anything on how "bad" it can be. Still looks like it holds a lot of promise thus far. :)

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Quick question:

-Have you guys made any games before? You should have quite a bit of game making experience before trying to tackle something this large.

You guys need to set your sights lower on how many characters you have in the game. You might think that you'll finish now, but that's sure to change after another few months of programming.

I personally didn't like the first SSF game because it had too many glitches, and at the moment it looks like your game is going to have more. You guys have to fix that movement engine up (can't wait to see the next demo)
Yes, we have, actually. I'm currently working on another game, Zelda: Blade of Darkness (I used a Zelda engine, though, but I will edit it a lot) which is a sequel to TP and a prequel to WW. And ARENTZ07, who is also working on the game, is very far in his original Mario game, Super Mario EX (I'm not sure why it's called that, could be for extreme or something, but it sounds cool) and it's freaking amazing. He'll probably put that up on MFGG.net and yoyogames.com when he's done with that. So yes, we have experience, and we're working hard on the programming, and the movement engine is probably 10 x better than it was. (I just wish DRMARIOX would finish our DK sheet)

Are you planning on adding a Fire Emblem character or Two? (Besides Marth, Ike, Roy)
YES!!! But you'll have to wait and see who it is. I'll reveal more characters soon.

How does voicing as a member of the development team who is responsible for the lack of scope suppose to be reassuring to me that you do, in fact, have an actual plan for this game and that you aren't just making it up as you go? How can you say that with every update you plan to work in x, y, and z characters while also working on the engine, making new levels, and making the game more enjoyable and still having a release date within a time period that people will actually get to play it in?

Who on your team has written any plans for this game? Who on your team is leading and making sure that the foundation is being built before supervelous things? How many characters do you intend to have in the complete version? How can you just type that things WILL come along when you have no evidence of what that can be determined as.

Also, Mr. Otaku:
-chan: may also be used towards animals, lovers, intimate friends, and people whom one has known since childhood.

Yuki is none of those to you.
Well, we may be saying some things that sound completely outrageous right now, but we plan, and we have been planning, for this game be a HUGE project. If you're so anxious to know, we plan to have at least 70 characters, probably 74 or 75, 75 at the most. The highlight of this game is the ridiculous amount of characters and stages, and of course, our new style of gameplay that will be part of this new demo. We're not even that far in development yet, and so far, this thread and our website are just introducing Smash Bros. fans to the game. We'll probably have several demos before the actual game.

You see, we have plans, but we're not revealing them to everyone else.

Also, please ignore the first play demo that I have up right now. It's nothing compared to what the game looks like and feels like now, and especially compared to what this demo will be, right Werekill?

I think I found my mistake - I'm taking that link to the original demo out of my signature. That demo is making the game look as bad as SSF1 was, why did I even release it?

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Well, we may be saying some things that sound completely outrageous right now, but we plan, and we have been planning, for this game be a HUGE project. If you're so anxious to know, we plan to have at least 70 characters, probably 74 or 75, 75 at the most.
I think you should try for something more reasonable. Like 52.

I think I found my mistake - I'm taking that link to the original demo out of my signature. That demo is making the game look as bad as SSF1 was, why did I even release it?
Low blow, you could see your project hurt in popularity for talks like that.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I must say, though I was skeptical once about this ever happening, the fact that it's at least still going to some extent almost a year after the thread started says a lot about those working on it. It wasn't just a whim where people got into something they thought would be easy. They've actually kept going. I haven't followed that closely, but I have to give credit where it's due. To go for a year, almost, and to know that it's far from done, but to still be confident, that's some determination right there.

That said, by the time this comes out, will anyone still be following?

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
That said, by the time this comes out, will anyone still be following?
I'll probably be keeping an eye on it. I do agree that working at it for a year is fairly impressive, a lot of people (probably me included) would have given up after that long. I'm also sure that the SSF team has put a lot of work into their project.

Keep working at it, don't get lazy and give us 23 Landmasters.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
I'm looking forward to this! Please bring roy back! Can't wait to play this if it actually materializes. You should put Hector in from Fire Emblem. This would be great cause all the characters that fans wish were in can be in. Oh and a Squeenix character wouldn't hurt...say, Sora?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Quick question:

-
Yeah, that first demo really sucked.

The new engine kicks arse. Less glitches, and better movement.

Seriously, its gonna be awesome.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I will answer. :)

Will it still have the same options as regular smash? Like to turn items on or off and have teams play? Also this sounds like a great idea, just as a thought, would it be possible to add in characters that werent necessiarily from a nintendo game (like alucard from Castlevania Symphony of the night) and maybe zero from megaman (unless megaman shares a similar moveset). This does look quite interesting and also could it be possible for some online or LAN funtion?
Yeah, you can turn items off, thank god.

I am not really sure, to be honest, how phantom7 is going to handle that. He doesn't listen to me at all when it comes to movesets.

It will have a basic same keyboard multiplayer setup, and I am looking into finding a way to make it online.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah, don't think I'm not behind you guys on this. I would love to see your project completed; I'd love to see it surpass SSF2 (and it very well may if you keep up the hard work). The first demo just threw me off a bit. For example:

-If you select mario for the first player and then select metaknight for the first player, the P1 icon appears over both mario and mk (obviously, it should disappear over mario)
-You can start the game if only one player has selected their character (which causes the game to crash)
-If both players select the same character, both characters in game are controlled by the same person
-As an extension to this, if both characters die at the same time, only one will come back
-Characters will occasionally play their standing animation while walking (usually happens while going up or down a slope)

And I know, as you've said, that was the first demo. I have no doubt that the second will be better, but again, do you have game testers? I've made at least 15 games and I know a lot of things that are commonly overlooked while programming. I can help out if you're interested.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
And I know, as you've said, that was the first demo. I have no doubt that the second will be better, but again, do you have game testers? I've made at least 15 games and I know a lot of things that are commonly overlooked while programming. I can help out if you're interested.
Yes, we actually have testers. Thanks for offering, though.

And I really think that demo shouldn't have been released. It had sooo many bugs that got fixed like a week later that its not even funny.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, don't think I'm not behind you guys on this. I would love to see your project completed; I'd love to see it surpass SSF2 (and it very well may if you keep up the hard work). The first demo just threw me off a bit. For example:

-If you select mario for the first player and then select metaknight for the first player, the P1 icon appears over both mario and mk (obviously, it should disappear over mario)
-You can start the game if only one player has selected their character (which causes the game to crash)
-If both players select the same character, both characters in game are controlled by the same person
-As an extension to this, if both characters die at the same time, only one will come back
-Characters will occasionally play their standing animation while walking (usually happens while going up or down a slope)

Yes, we do have testers. Me and ARentz07 are doing that mostly, along with Werekill. And yes, after a few months' work since the original demo, it's turned out to be WAY better. But if you want to help out - do you make your games in Game Maker 7 Pro? If you have experience with the GML language, I might could get you to help with some codes.

I will answer. :)

Yeah, you can turn items off, thank god.

I am not really sure, to be honest, how phantom7 is going to handle that. He doesn't listen to me at all when it comes to movesets.

It will have a basic same keyboard multiplayer setup, and I am looking into finding a way to make it online.
Movesets are going great, by the way. Of course, Mario uses a Wing Cap now instead of that old Super Jump Punch. And Player2's keyboard setup really isn't too great compared to Player1's, so we are definitely trying to do online play. Game Maker Pro can handle that, so we will try anything and everything to make it work!

There really won't be many items, by the way. And final smashes are not items anymore - I'll explain that in the thread description, or whatever you call the first post.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I don't use Game Maker actually. I did briefly a few years back but I've forgotten almost everything, sorry. I've got about 5 years worth of Multimedia Fusion exp. tho! Yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty sure that won't help you guys.

On a different note, right now I believe both player 1 and player 2s' characters are actually the same object, are they not? (idk, I know a lot of things are different since the first demo release) If I may ask though, have you guys done anything to make P1 and P2 look different? For example, do they have different color schemes or are they different shades of the same color? I'd recommend making P1 and P2 look slightly different if both are the same character, even if you had to go back and change existing code.

In regards to the matter above, if you'd like me to do some recolors I'd be perfectly willing to help out. It wouldn't be a large contribution but it would lighten your work load a bit. Then again, that all depends on whether or not you plan on giving them different color schemes in the first place. :bee:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
When I saw the ridiculous roster and all the people shooting the game down in the thread, I thought this wasn't going anywhere, but now after I'm seeing how seriously you're all taking this and how long you've been working on this bloody thing, I expect it to come out.

As for the roster. . .I just have to remember how even more crazy other rosters are. Why the hell would you put original characters in a game that revolves around big name characters? I'm looking at you, Smash Flash.

I'm still holding out though for a flash based Smash game that actually includes K. Rool who seems to be all but a no brainer, but I'll be looking forward to this game either way.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I don't use Game Maker actually. I did briefly a few years back but I've forgotten almost everything, sorry. I've got about 5 years worth of Multimedia Fusion exp. tho! Yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty sure that won't help you guys.

On a different note, right now I believe both player 1 and player 2s' characters are actually the same object, are they not? (idk, I know a lot of things are different since the first demo release) If I may ask though, have you guys done anything to make P1 and P2 look different? For example, do they have different color schemes or are they different shades of the same color? I'd recommend making P1 and P2 look slightly different if both are the same character, even if you had to go back and change existing code.

In regards to the matter above, if you'd like me to do some recolors I'd be perfectly willing to help out. It wouldn't be a large contribution but it would lighten your work load a bit. Then again, that all depends on whether or not you plan on giving them different color schemes in the first place. :bee:
Color schemes would be great, but we haven't really figured that out yet. But the programming really isn't a problem anymore since the physics are fixed and everything. The main thing we're working on now is making characters. What we need is some good spriters - if you have any experience making sprites, could you please do maybe a Toon Link for us? His moveset will be changed, especially special moves, so keep that in mind. If you decide to help with sprites, I'll gladly discuss what I think his new specials should be.

And no, P1 and P2 are different objects. Our engine is set up with collision boxes now. P1Locator and P2Locator. Each attack has a collsion with that and that's where it tells how much damage and knockback to add to the player. It wasn't like that in the original demo, so that's one thing we did to fix the engine. As you can see, the gameplay is much better now.

The only problem with the game, though, is we probably won't have P1 and P2 as the same character. I can think of a way we COULD do that, but it would take up an unreasonable amount of space. (Especially along with the ridiculous amount of characters) And honestly, what's different about this game is its competitive style of play - to actually see a battle of what maybe MegaMan VS Sonic would really look like. So with that in mind, Mario vs Mario wouldn't make any sense anyway. But if we could figure out alt. costumes without that, we would gladly put it in.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Good, glad to hear that you guys have fixed that stuff up. Next demo should be pretty good!

Although it would be pretty cool to be able to select an alternate costume, I was just suggesting that you permanently make P2 look different (different color scheme/ lighter or darker shade, ect). That wouldn't take up any extra space and would just require some recoloring.

Although I totally agree that one of the best parts of the game will be the number of characters, you can't count out dittos. Dittos remove character advantages and help to show who truly has more skill. Eh, that's just my opinion though.

Top Bottom