• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. to appear at San Diego Comic-Con (Special Surpise, but don't get your hopes up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
For the first time Bowser looks like he has strengths that sufficiently offset his weaknesses. He doesn't seem OP, just easier to pick up and play than other characters, especially in a FFA setting. I don't think he'll have much of a combo game though, which I expect at least a few chars like Fox to develop over time, and obviously he'll be easy to combo himself, so I see him falling back to the pack a bit as the meta develops. Even so, he looks like he has enough strengths to hold his own, which is certainly exciting for Bowser fans.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Well honestly it's too early to tell. People might end up flocking to other characters that weren't available on the roster today.

We also have to consider why people picked Bowser. He's really good in free-4-alls, after using him a lot in free-4-alls I'm sure users got more comfortable with him.
He is good in 1vs1 too, as you might have saw. His Back-Air and F-smash, can kill so easily. not to mention his Back-Air was SOOOO fast.

juddy96

Smash Lord
This was a great tournament. Of course, it wasn't without it's flaws, but that basically had to do with the stream, and internet connection being not good. Not much could be done. Off stream matches seemed to go well.

The competitive community turned up for this one. HugS, Tafo, Lucky, Westballz, and Larry. Lucky actually beat Larry in Round 1, but Larry beat him in the runback in losers bracket. Larry came all the way back after losing his first match. His grand finals opponent was no schlub either. Props to both guys.

Senario

Smash Ace
makes sense. Recoveries in this game or even Project M to an extent seem a little too good, but that only really means that the game will be more ground-based.
Well it also means games last longer, being able to recover from anywhere makes the gameplay longer in stock mode and means we'll have to go towards less rather than more stocks for competitive play. To be fair. It doesn't only affect the ground game being "better".

Always thought 4 stocks is perfect for smash. Any higher made sense for 64 but any lower and it feels like the game just doesn't give you enough chances.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My only complaint is that Peach wasn't present. I need to know that she's just as game as Bowser, Luigi and Rosalina look.

3 of my top 5 favorite Mario characters are looking fantastic so far in Smash Wii U/3DS. I'm all heart eyes right now despite no new reveals.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I heard that there was a suggestion box at the tourney where people just put in slips of paper on changes they want to see in the game. If that's true, I hope a lot of people suggested on nerfing King Koopa...
JK
Absolutely adored his fighting style, I love seeing characters that were once low tier be one of the strongest in the game! I hope the same happens to Link 0^0

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
My only complaint is that Peach wasn't present. I need to know that she's just as game as Bowser, Luigi and Rosalina look.

3 of my top 5 favorite Mario characters are looking fantastic so far in Smash Wii U/3DS. I'm all heart eyes right now despite no new reveals.
Rosalina looks awesome!

Has anyone found links to the Rosalina gameplay?

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Rosalina was super intriguing. I thought the only viable way to use Luma was for ledge guarding. But when I saw Bill play as her, holy canoly...
It seems that Rosalina and Luma thrive on trapping the opponent between the both of them, which helps create a volley ball-esque type gameplay with the two, smashing the enemy from side to side :)
I think I'm gonna main them now

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
Plenty of legit two-piecers, at least. That Fox dash attack into uair seems to be legit, for example. Also saw a lot of combos that happened because multi-hitters were interrupted by landing on a platform.
@ Senario Senario too because I didn't feel like finding your original post.

I was rewatching part of the stream and Bill Trinen said something interesting.

"We're playing the E3 version of the Wii U Super Smash Brothers game...so we've got a limited stage selection as well as a limited character selection, and we're just going to continue to work on what we can do from a combo standpoint."

So it seems like he is implying that combo potential is better in later builds - at least I hope so.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
So what I'm getting based on a lot of people's comments is that the future for Smash 4 is looking much brighter now than it did after the invitational? That's very good news to hear and even more exciting considering the meta game is fairly unestablished at this point meaning it will only get better.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hi everybody. This is a thread about Smash 4. Not Brawl/Melee/etc.

Don't be upset about any infractions received from this post onwards~
I can understand being upset about how one's game players may shun another, but all I see is stereotyping/prejudice. Not everyone who likes Melee is like that, and honestly seeing how the natural human response to difference/change is status quo, it is a lot more sensible to be understanding.

All the game's have different skill sets and metagames developed. They aren't a subset of each other, difficulties in one game aren't the same as another.

Keep it nice guys!

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm gonna be the jerk here. That tourney and stream was overall terrible.

Now I won't lie, there were some pretty good matches that happened throughout the whole thing and the Grand Finals? It was pretty intense and entertaining in terms of the skill of the players despite it being rather lacking and uninteresting in terms of the characters present. And by that, I mean it being Bowser Dittos versus Bowser versus someone else. "I told you Bowser would defeat Bowser! =D" Regardless of that, though, it's great to see Bowser being potentially a much better and more viable character. Even if I was getting really tired of seeing him win every match when I was rooting for someone else.

But even with all of that and the idea that "the ending is paramount", there were way too many hiccups, awkward times and bad moments in the stream for me to say it was even just "good". It may have been very entertaining at certain points, but as a whole, that stream out right sucked. Easily one of the most disappointing streams I've ever watched. I'm glad I left for awhile and came back just in time for the Grand Final.

That all said though, still better than Ubisoft's E3 Conference. ¦D

Senario

Smash Ace
@ Senario Senario too because I didn't feel like finding your original post.

I was rewatching part of the stream and Bill Trinen said something interesting.

"We're playing the E3 version of the Wii U Super Smash Brothers game...so we've got a limited stage selection as well as a limited character selection, and we're just going to continue to work on what we can do from a combo standpoint."

So it seems like he is implying that combo potential is better in later builds - at least I hope so.
I do hope so, I THRIVE off combos. Falcon woo! (Well here is to hoping he is good, if not I have others I want to try out).

Lol good job on Trinen btw, he played better than I expected he would.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I do hope so, I THRIVE off combos. Falcon woo! (Well here is to hoping he is good, if not I have others I want to try out).

I was legit impressed buy the nintendo guys. Yea, they don't know all the lingo, but they actually played pretty well.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By the way...

The hosts in the stream didn't mention Pyrosphere at all did they?

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice

Yea - I didn't think he would do that well.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
So what I'm getting based on a lot of people's comments is that the future for Smash 4 is looking much brighter now than it did after the invitational? That's very good news to hear and even more exciting considering the meta game is fairly unestablished at this point meaning it will only get better.
Well, to me, it looks like the 3DS build is farther along the development cycle (makes sense as it's going to be the 1st of the 2 versions to be released), so I think it's more polished than the Wii U version SO FAR. This was the E3 build of the 3ds version that they used.

That being said, I enjoyed the Grand Finals of the 3DS version more than the Grand Finals of the Invitational Tournament (probably because of there being more matches as well as the Bowsercide and the skill of both players being pretty great). That being said, I did like the Invitational Tournament GFs as well, but I liked tonight's GF more.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Has anyone posted videos on the top 8/16 yet? I was here earlier, but I had to leave. Also did bill play more after 5:30? And did that get posted?

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Warning Received
.What part of this isn't the thread for this don't you understand? ~Shaya

Strike II.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I leave for 6 hours to go to the fair.

General consensus before I left: OMG this tournament is a complete failure there is no way to salvage this why did they even do this.

General consensus when I get back: Wow what a great tournament I'm feeling more optimistic about Smash now I hope they do something like this again.

I would say I'm surprised...but I'm not at all. The difference is still a bit jarring though.

Senario

Smash Ace

General consensus before I left: OMG this tournament is a complete failure there is no way to salvage this why did they even do this.

General consensus when I get back: Wow what a great tournament I'm feeling more optimistic about Smash now I hope they do something like this again.

I would say I'm surprised...but I'm not at all. The difference is still a bit jarring though.
Its mostly because the stream quality went up. They showed more gameplay and 1v1s played out better than they did at invitational. Oh and there were more of them, that helps.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Warning Received
Hi everybody. This is a thread about Smash 4. Not Brawl/Melee/etc.

Don't be upset about any infractions received from this post onwards~
I can understand being upset about how one's game players may shun another, but all I see is stereotyping/prejudice. Not everyone who likes Melee is like that, and honestly seeing how the natural human response to difference/change is status quo, it is a lot more sensible to be understanding.

All the game's have different skill sets and metagames developed. They aren't a subset of each other, difficulties in one game aren't the same as another.

Keep it nice guys!
BRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWLBRAWL
Melee

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

People are mainly just hyped from the great Grand Final.

The tourney and stream overall was still terrible.

Senario

Smash Ace

yeah I generally just was meh about the four player free for alls with items lol. And so many Sudden deaths too.

Grand finals did play out well though.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord

Which is what I was expecting from the beginning.

Though I liked the early part just fine. Wasn't expecting other people to though.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Aww. I missed something epic. On the plus side, I also missed something frustrating.

Still. It's nice to know that at least one heavy-hitter was able to do well in a tournament setting. Bowser for King Tier.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman

I don't think anyone was saying the stream or the tourney overall was good by any stretch, but it did have a solid ending. As a stream, it was terrible, but the ending did give us what we wanted, which was solid smash 4 3ds gameplay, which is what I think a lot of people are taking away from this.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Don't try to be a Hero.
Implying. I've already gotten one of my precious points taken away. They mean nothing to me, and I'm not sure why it matters to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom