• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. to appear at San Diego Comic-Con (Special Surpise, but don't get your hopes up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Twitch chat is "RIOTing". How pathetic considering no character was announced to be revealed.
You, and every other person brought that on yourself. Get rekt.

Soul.

This tournament was a good one, especially the finals and the part where Toon Link was against Luigi.
Now, I guess that showed that the 3DS version can be competitive, after all.

Senario

Smash Ace
That grand finals really shows how different Smash 4 is from Brawl, and ledgeguarding is still a thing guys, it ain't gone at all. Not that Brawl was bad, but Brawl was pretty boring from a spectator's standpoint.
More interesting, I hope more characters will be shown to be just as good. Not enough skilled players have gotten their hands on all of the characters of the game, and much less have done so in a somewhat competitive setting thanks to the four player free for alls with items that exist for Nintendo's events.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So sad our boy Raikou/Rei lost in Grand Finals (he won Winner's Finals) after a DOMINANT RUN.

I've known him for a good while via various mediums. He's played Brawl competitively for many years. He's a great dude.

But I'm glad my fellow Cali boy Larry Lurr, who is a top player in Melee AND Brawl, got his moment to shine in the sun. Plus from what little I know of him from the little I've talked to him at tournaments he seems like a pretty cool dude.

Overall it was a fantastic finals. Neither character camped, and while both of them had plenty of holes in their game, considering how few Smash 3DS (or Smash WiiU for that matter) matches they had under their belt, they both did a fantastic job. They also kept it close every match.

Also, Raikou/Rei gave us this gif...

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
To be honest though, this tourney showed that the 3ds Smash is going to be just as solid as the Wii U version. We saw some very high level gameplay that didn't at all feel like it was hampered by being on the 3ds, very solid mechanics and a lot of fun matches that show this is going to be worth investing time and effort into.

A character would have been cool, but what we learned is that this is going to be a great addition into the smash family, and should be welcomed with open arms.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I fail to see that Grand Finals as nothing interesting. I thought that was quite a special surprise, seeing Smash 4 look so....AWESOME after that tournament made it kinda flip-floppy.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think Bowser is a good character in this game, but I think the two Bowsers got into Grand Finals because they were obviously much better players than everyone else at the tournament. I wouldn't say Bowser is a super good character yet.

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
I think Bowser is a good character in this game, but I think the two Bowsers got into Grand Finals because they were obviously much better players than everyone else at the tournament. I wouldn't say Bowser is a super good character yet.
I honestly disliked how people were calling out Bowser as just an OP character, but twitch chat is cancer, so whatever.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Good show! After a pretty terrible start this event really redeemed itself with time.

Bowser looking good! Unbelievable how the invitational players had him down as bottom tier after watching that. From the looks of it he'll be viable for the first time ever, but of course we never know...maybe will someone will counter him hard? With that said, I really like how balanced the cast looks. Hopefully it stays that way.

Also glad we didn't get a reveal, that means more hype for the POtDs. Unbelievable that people thought it would happen. No warning from Sakurai = no reveal. Simple mathematics.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
This^^ it's clear bowsers beastly, but those two were miles better than the competition in 1v1s

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That was a great show and I love what I'm seeing. In every match, even when it was somewhat defensive, the gameplay was action orientated and at a good pace and it felt a lot like how I, personally, play Melee*. The only thing that disappoints me is the loss of range on Kirby's projectile. The move is now entirely useless offensively.
Loving what they did to Bowser though, he seems pretty OP when on a stage that doesn't favour projectile gamers**. Staring him down with a close quarters character is going to be scary!

*I'm not saying the games are anything alike, simply that this game looks to promote a style of play more akin to mine than I have seen in previous competitive environments.

**This is not the same as OP overall, just that Battlefield hardly seems neutral in the Bowser v Sheik matchup.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
I can't remember, were there any actual true combos? That aren't part of the same jab combo I mean. I remember a lot of attacks being thrown out but not a lot of linked moves that didn't have the opponent recovering into a neutral state after.

Hong

The Strongest
I can't remember, were there any actual true combos? That aren't part of the same jab combo I mean. I remember a lot of attacks being thrown out but not a lot of linked moves that didn't have the opponent recovering into a neutral state after.
Plenty of legit two-piecers, at least. That Fox dash attack into uair seems to be legit, for example. Also saw a lot of combos that happened because multi-hitters were interrupted by landing on a platform.

Senario

Smash Ace
Plenty of legit two-piecers, at least. That Fox dash attack into uair seems to be legit, for example. Also saw a lot of combos that happened because multi-hitters were interrupted by landing on a platform.
Well it is something. I want to see longer combos as people play. Two piecers is great and all but when you get into 3-4+ combos I find that really exciting. That isn't to say the game wasn't played well today, it was. Carefully watching to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom