• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. to appear at San Diego Comic-Con (Special Surpise, but don't get your hopes up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I hope all these 1v1 matches hit youtube soon. I saw quite a few, but there were so many more I didn't see and twitch's player just doesn't work well for me at all. I saw enough to conclude that Bowser looks really fun, but IMO a big part his massive success was that only a few players seemed to have good shield games. It looks like a lot of Bowser's stuff is only safe on block if he has tight timing and spacing (like bair is great and has a good autocancel, but if you actually get the landing lag, you're going to really regret it), and while he looks pretty good regardless and as long as he's built like this will probably always be a good character, I can see that as players get better and get used to punishing him for just throwing stuff out he'll have to be really careful and tactical like big characters at high levels always have to be in fighters, carefully playing footsies to get to those places where he can safely throw out his powerful stuff. Now we just play the game of hoping he's not nerfed before release, right?

Seeing a tournament, especially when it gets to 1v1 stock mode no items, is almost painful in a different way though. I really want to be playing this game when watching stuff like that; watching other people play a smash game competitively when I can't is hard! October 3 can't come soon enough.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
There will be a surprise. If they said there would be, there will be. It could be a newcomer, vetern, new mode, release date, anything that would be considered "Special".

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
so with everyone saying people are living too long i went back and watched the direct and it looked like there the blast zones were closer. It might just be me but thats what i saw

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So.... Anything happen last night? Anything at all?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yeah, I still think E3's presentation was better and more polished, but if this is what matches are going to be like then I am excited to see my subscription box fill up over the next few years.
Yeah, I agree that E3's performance was more polished than Comic Con's (the E3 stream was a TON better and we didn't have to watch the Nintendo Minute crew die in LL [Bill's a TON better at the game supposedly {I stopped watching the stream after a bit of LL as I had to cut the grass}]). I do like the CC GF a bit more. But yeah, the E3 stream was handled WAAAAAAAAAY better.

Edited:

And don't tell the invitationalists this, but I enjoyed Rai's and Larry's match over ZeRo's and HBox's.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There will be a surprise. If they said there would be, there will be. It could be a newcomer, vetern, new mode, release date, anything that would be considered "Special".
I thought it was all over now?

I think the surprise was how obsessed the presenters were with talking about Bill Trinen.

SmashAdr

Smash Apprentice
They already said the surprise was Bill and other guy playing wii u matches showing sick "combos" look at the beginning of the stream

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't even care about getting no surprise...that Grand Finals match was NERVE-WRACKING! Those Bowsers were rushing at each other relentlessly, and there was both a ton of defensive and offensive approaches, it was amazing, and...yes, it felt more exciting than the Invitational Grand Finals.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Liking the game so far.

Only 2 things i disliked about the event: hours wasted on Lost levels and talking and no one touched Sonic.

Other than those minor flaws i enjoyed the final match since it shows the difference between someone who's good and who isn't(clearly the normal colored Bowser was gonna win imo). Much better than the Grand finals in invitational Wii U.

Last edited:

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
I don't even care about getting no surprise...that Grand Finals match was NERVE-WRACKING! Those Bowsers were rushing at each other relentlessly, and there was both a ton of defensive and offensive approaches, it was amazing, and...yes, it felt more exciting than the Invitational Grand Finals.
I would say that the GF were more exciting than the invitationals but definitely not indicative of an exciting game.

Larry was only doing so much offensive stuff because he realised the other guy was just not able to punish any of those whiffed aerials, I don't think you'll see gameplay like that at tournaments when both players are good. The landing lag was so large on bowser.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I would say that the GF were more exciting than the invitationals but definitely not indicative of an exciting game.

Larry was only doing so much offensive stuff because he realised the other guy was just not able to punish any of those whiffed aerials, I don't think you'll see gameplay like that at tournaments when both players are good. The landing lag was so large on bowser.
the game looks exciting, therefore it's an indicative of an exciting game. And the other guy did punish a lot of whiffed aerials o.o

JoeInky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JoeInky
3DS FC
4596-9442-7695
the game looks exciting, therefore it's an indicative of an exciting game. And the other guy did punish a lot of whiffed aerials o.o
Larry seemed to be able to throw out a lot of dairs, fairs and bombs (oh my!) without actually having to worry about being punished because the guy was just respecting him way too much.

It didn't happen too much in the first bracket but it was a lot more prevalent in the second.

The second time I watched the GF where I was actually paying more attention was a lot less exciting.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
I really enjoyed it and if this is how competitive matches are going to be then SSB4 definitely has a future. Hell, I'm going to enjoy it either way, it looks great.

Untouch

Smash Master
The GFs of this were more exciting for obvious reasons.
1. The people playing were allowed to pick their own characters.
2. There were much more matches, so people were able to get more practice in.
3. There was only one 1v1 match, you don't really get to feel how the character plays in a FFA setting.

In the WiiU GF, neither zero nor hbox really knew what they were doing too much it seemed.
I'd like to see another WiiU GF that works like this, or just 1v1.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
At this point I'm expecting the other surprises (If there are any more) to be other Nintendo Reps playing the game as if we cared about who they were. The only Nintendo reps I care about are my baes Reggie, Sakurai and Bill Trennen.

But seriously, I don't expect much

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nevermind what I said earlier about have a newcomer to save them.

The Bowser Finals more than made up for it and proved that the 3DS Tournament Scene is Promising.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I missed the stream, but watched the Grand Finals.
Smash 4 looks like a lot of fun, and Bowser looks like a decent character this time around!
I would've liked to see more pressure applied by both players with Bowser's jabs and tilts, but it's just a preference.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I missed the stream, but watched the Grand Finals.
Smash 4 looks like a lot of fun, and Bowser looks like a decent character this time around!
I would've liked to see more pressure applied by both players with Bowser's jabs and tilts, but it's just a preference.
Yes, the Grand Finals and the 3DS Tournament proved that the 3DS and Bowser are both capable of Competitive Tournament Plays.

Bowser looks more viable and a lot more versatile in both of the versions.

I will be having so much fun unlocking stuff as him when i get my hands on the 3DS version.

Hong

The Strongest
So I heard JC was about to leak Wolf
JC couldn't talk about whether or not Fox had a Blaster that flinched as a custom special. People more or less ran away with that, even though it could imply many of several things.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
The second time I watched the GF where I was actually paying more attention was a lot less exciting.
Had the same feeling. After you set aside the novelty of two Bowsers facing off in the finals (and Scarr wisely playing up every heavy hit), the match was more an exercise of basic Smash fundamentals. That might be exciting to some, but I got deja vu watching it. Reminds me of what Smash tournaments looked like a decade ago before the scene came into its own. Smash 4 has room to grow and even change, but I certainly don't think what we saw showcased here elevates it to the next level.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
The special surprise is THAT THERE IS NO SURPRISE~
HAPPY BIRTHDAY~
*brbkillingself*

Had the same feeling. After you set aside the novelty of two Bowsers facing off in the finals (and Scarr wisely playing up every heavy hit), the match was more an exercise of basic Smash fundamentals. That might be exciting to some, but I got some deja vu watching it. Reminds me of what Smash tournaments looked like a decade ago before the scene came into its own. Smash 4 has room to grow and even change, but I certainly don't think what we saw showcased here elevates it to the next level.
Yeah. A few read techs, some spacing with aerials, edge guarding and shield grabs.

I mean it was pretty dope, but I was honestly more impressed by the fact that it was bowser doing it, rather than the execution itself.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I know there's going to be another MK8 tournament are they going to be another Smash Tournament today?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Larry seemed to be able to throw out a lot of dairs, fairs and bombs (oh my!) without actually having to worry about being punished because the guy was just respecting him way too much.

It didn't happen too much in the first bracket but it was a lot more prevalent in the second.

It's always less exciting watching it again. It was hype because not only was I (personally) not expecting that style of match, but it was two bowsers in the final showdown; and either one could have one. Watching it later is less exciting, because we know what to expect.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. A few read techs, some spacing with aerials, edge guarding and shield grabs.

I mean it was pretty dope, but I was honestly more impressed by the fact that it was bowser doing it, rather than the execution itself.
Bowser did presented well. Can't think of a more ideal situation for Nintendo than having a hard hitting character make it to the finals in a game no one has quite figured out yet. I'm sure for those that rarely watch or haven't jumped into higher level Smash, this must have been all excitement.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Had the same feeling. After you set aside the novelty of two Bowsers facing off in the finals (and Scarr wisely playing up every heavy hit), the match was more an exercise of basic Smash fundamentals. That might be exciting to some, but I got some deja vu watching it. Reminds me of what Smash tournaments looked like a decade ago before the scene came into its own. Smash 4 has room to grow and even change, but I certainly don't think what we saw showcased here elevates it to the next level.
To be perfectly fair I don't expect the first public 3DS tourney ever to completely change the Smash 4 meta (except maybe to elevate Bowser a bit on pre-release tier lists) but I get what you mean. It was solid gameplay, sure, but nobody outside of Nintendo has really gotten a chance to get to know the game on a deep level yet.

Hong

The Strongest
JC couldn't talk about whether or not Fox had a Blaster that flinched as a custom special. People more or less ran away with that, even though it could imply many of several things.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Did any other Smash social media say this other than the American English Facebook Smash page? I'm starting to feel they just added that in because, technically anything could happen; we could be surprised by the tournament fights, and there were other gaming things going on, such as the commentators and Mario Lost Levels. I'm beginning to think that is the extent of the surprise.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Both him (atleast I think it was him) and the eShop leaked Wario, so I guess yesterday was #WarioWriday after all.
They should really stop mentioning Wario. :\

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If anybody is asking if a Stream is happening today, yes it is:

"
On July 25 and July 26, Nintendo will stream Nintendo Challenge Live, a stage show hosted from the Nintendo Gaming Lounge that features intense tournament competition and awesome game-play challenges from some of the hottest upcoming games on Nintendo platforms. Fans can open their browsers to http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo to catch all of the action and stick around for hours to soak in all the festivities.

The live gameplay will start at 11:30 PST on both days, so be sure and check it out if you want to see what Nintendo is presenting at Comic-Con this year! The line up is huge!"

From Wii U Daily Website

Source:
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/07/nintendo-will-be-live-streaming-from-comic-con/

Edit: Never Mind, the Stream is about to start as we speak.

Edit:Edit: The Stream looked as though it was about to start (it had the Graphics And Animation that the Stream from Yesterday had), it was also playing the SSB4 Theme Music.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom