• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct - Character Updates

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
You do realize that Charizard is literally the most popular Pokémon, right? If anything, he's the best choice for the roster in terms of Pokémon.
I think you may have misspelled "overrated" with a p at the start, also, isn't the two mega evolution in X and Y enough fanservice?

Here are something I found from the direct and some theories I have:
- tech get ups are back since we can see mega man using it.
- pit's arrow seem to have some change since in the 3DS footage, it only fly though about half of the stage.
- they purposely show a fake palutina trophy, and there is no assist trophy for her, which means rumors of her in the game may be true,
- why did deedeedee lost his ability to throw waddle dees? Doesn't that hints a possibility for a new character?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Hmmmm... more likely. I'm looking forward to having Bandana Waddle Dee being next in the roster.
I would personally love for Bandana Dee to be a playable character, but I kind of feel like that change was simply a Dedede buff.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
there are 4 pokemon! does that mean no jigglypuff? they cant kick out an original can they?
Jiggs will make it back. I'm 100% certain on this because she's an original. Sakurai had stated when talking about Brawl that he wouldn't remove the original twelve from the games, so she's back.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
why is everyone so worried about the character roster? There will probably be around 45-50 characters due to the nature of adding more characters in each game. So if there are 5 pokemon, then there will be 5 characters for most of the other franchises.

aggronianmaster1

Smash Cadet
Jiggs will make it back. I'm 100% certain on this because she's an original. Sakurai had stated when talking about Brawl that he wouldn't remove the original twelve from the games, so she's back.
thank goodness :p even though i never use her i just would hate if such a staple of the Smash series was gone

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I would personally love for Bandana Dee to be a playable character, but I kind of feel like that change was simply a Dedede buff.
You're right. It IS buff. By the way, I just realized the real reason why King Dedede doesn't throw Waddle Dees anymore. And it's because that the Waddle Dees are actually enemies in the Smash Run Mode in the Direct. So either I was wrong about Bandana Dee making a appearance in the roster or I'm more likely right about what I said before. But I don't know, really. Just a prediction. :ohwell:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
You're right. It IS buff. By the way, I just realized the real reason why King Dedede doesn't throw Waddle Dees anymore. And it's because that the Waddle Dees are actually enemies in the Smash Run Mode in the Direct. So either I was wrong about Bandana Dee making a appearance in the roster or I'm more likely right about what I said before. But I don't know, really. Just a prediction. :ohwell:
Gordos were also in Smash Run Mode. Still, the change could have been made to make Dedede's side B more useful...

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Even with that reasoning, that doesn't change the fact that the part of Ridley that shows up in the video looks nothing like it comes from Meta-Ridley.
Redesign of him, perchance?
I don't see why that's not possible.

I'm not really for or against Ridley's inclusion here, btw. I'm just saying that it isn't impossible, all things considered.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Gordos were also in Smash Run Mode. Still, the change could have been made to make Dedede's side B more useful...
More useful? The footage shows that the Gordos now have a smaller hitbox, and possibly a lot less knock back, there's no way they are just gonna copy and paste the Gordos from brawl into the new smash, d3 will be broken then.

Last edited:

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
More useful? The footage shows that the Gordos now have a smaller hitbox, and possibly a lot less knock back, there's no way they are just gonna copy and paste the Gordos from brawl into the new smash, d3 will be broken then.
That does not change the fact that throwing Gordos 100% of the time is better than mostly throwing Waddle Dees and only throwing Gordos 8.2% of the time. Dedede's new side-b is better than that of his brawl incarnation even if its hitbox is smaller and the knockback is lower.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
That does not change the fact that throwing Gordos 100% of the time is better than mostly throwing Waddle Dees and only throwing Gordos 8.2% of the time. Dedede's new side-b is better than that of his brawl incarnation even if its hitbox is smaller and the knockback is lower.
Tbh it really isn't, less knokback and stun plus the fact that the gordo can't move on its own and the fact that d3 still has the same cool down literally means he just gained a faster and more efficient down-b hammer. Also the waddle doos in brawl are pretty cool.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Tbh it really isn't, less knokback and stun plus the fact that the gordo can't move on its own and the fact that d3 still has the same cool down literally means he just gained a faster and more efficient down-b hammer. Also the waddle doos in brawl are pretty cool.
That would only be valid if Dedede always threw Gordos in Brawl. They were powerful because they were rare, but because they were so rare, Dedede's Side-b was simply mediocre. Plus, Waddle Doos in brawl were pretty useless, they were easy to knock out just like the Waddle Dees and thier attack took a long time to get ready.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Anyone think Little Mac=Balrog/Bison?

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I think you may have misspelled "overrated" with a p at the start, also, isn't the two mega evolution in X and Y enough fanservice?
You really need to stop being so butthurt about Charizard, and about this game in general. For Charizard, consider that he is 1 of only 4 non-legendaries to EVER be featured on the box art of a core series Pokémon game, and furthermore he is the ONLY Pokémon (out of 719, I might add) to be a core series version mascot THREE TIMES. Not even Pikachu, the freakin' franchise mascot and a staple fighter since the original SSB, can claim this. So yeah, Charizard's spot as an individual fighter is well-deserved.

As for the so-called "nod" to the competitive community that For Glory supposedly offers, I think this has been a misunderstanding by everyone. For Glory is not meant to be competitive-friendly, since it's only available against RANDOM OPPONENTS (and therefore not even remotely applicable to the tournament scene). It's for people who are like "Hey, I want to play online but without items or risk of ending up on a weird stage I don't want". It's also for people who want to show off their wins and losses (again, when fighting RANDOM OPPONENTS), most likely for bragging rights. Keep in mind that EVERYONE, regardless of whether they play For Fun or For Glory, will have a GSP that shows that they are better than X number of players.

In conclusion, if you want Melee play Melee, if you want Project M play Project M, Sm4sh doesn't need your elitist attitude.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
You really need to stop being so butthurt about Charizard, and about this game in general. For Charizard, consider that he is 1 of only 4 non-legendaries to EVER be featured on the box art of a core series Pokémon game, and furthermore he is the ONLY Pokémon (out of 719, I might add) to be a core series version mascot THREE TIMES. Not even Pikachu, the freakin' franchise mascot and a staple fighter since the original SSB, can claim this. So yeah, Charizard's spot as an individual fighter is well-deserved.

As for the so-called "nod" to the competitive community that For Glory supposedly offers, I think this has been a misunderstanding by everyone. For Glory is not meant to be competitive-friendly, since it's only available against RANDOM OPPONENTS (and therefore not even remotely applicable to the tournament scene). It's for people who are like "Hey, I want to play online but without items or risk of ending up on a weird stage I don't want". It's also for people who want to show off their wins and losses (again, when fighting RANDOM OPPONENTS), most likely for bragging rights. Keep in mind that EVERYONE, regardless of whether they play For Fun or For Glory, will have a GSP that shows that they are better than X number of players.

In conclusion, if you want Melee play Melee, if you want Project M play Project M, Sm4sh doesn't need your elitist attitude.
GIVE THIS MAN AN AWARD!!!

Last edited:

bengerman777

Smash Cadet
I love how judgmental Smash fans can get about a game that hasn't come out yet. Apparently, sarcasm is hard over the Net. xD
im not judging the game I just hate the new characters and the new game modes especially online :p and the stages as well

BrBaSam

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I think there are too many pokemon already, granted that Sakurai has to give attention to popular franchises, but Smash bros is HIS franchise, that has made characters popular. Honestly, few people heard of ness or C. Falcon before smash 64 and now in the smash community they are 2 very popular characters. I'll be very disappointed if Sakurai ignores the characters his franchise has made popular in favor of franchises with characters that are already popular. With that being said, I'd like to see more space animals, C. Falcon, and more Fire Emblem. Hopefully Sakurai sees that Smash is popular enough on its own.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think there are too many pokemon already, granted that Sakurai has to give attention to popular franchises, but Smash bros is HIS franchise, that has made characters popular. Honestly, few people heard of ness or C. Falcon before smash 64 and now in the smash community they are 2 very popular characters. I'll be very disappointed if Sakurai ignores the characters his franchise has made popular in favor of franchises with characters that are already popular. With that being said, I'd like to see more space animals, C. Falcon, and more Fire Emblem. Hopefully Sakurai sees that Smash is popular enough on its own.
Pokemon, Mario and Zelda are getting 5 each, ganondorf is obviously the 5th zelda, who the 5th pokemon is we'll just have to wait and see

BrBaSam

Smash Rookie
Pokemon, Mario and Zelda are getting 5 each, ganondorf is obviously the 5th zelda, who the 5th pokemon is we'll just have to wait and see
I'd assume the 5th pokemon would be jiggs. I'm fine with him bringing in characters from franchises like that, I'm just saying he'd be making a huge mistake by cutting characters that he himself made popular through smash, like falco and C. Falcon, have to remember that Fire Emblem didn't even have a game released in America until melee was released and Marth and Roy became popular here as well.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I love how they are getting rid of the random elements....smash just got more serious!!!!

FangnierFernious

Smash Apprentice
I'd assume the 5th pokemon would be jiggs. I'm fine with him bringing in characters from franchises like that, I'm just saying he'd be making a huge mistake by cutting characters that he himself made popular through smash, like falco and C. Falcon, have to remember that Fire Emblem didn't even have a game released in America until melee was released and Marth and Roy became popular here as well.
I really hope Zoroark is the next Pokemon. I can just imagine the all Pokemon battles I'd have with my friends.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I really hope Zoroark is the next Pokemon. I can just imagine the all Pokemon battles I'd have with my friends.
Except Zoroark comes out of a Pokeball in the beginning of Greninja's reveal trailer...I doubt he's playable at this point.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568

Here are something I found from the direct and some theories I have:
- tech get ups are back since we can see mega man using it.
- pit's arrow seem to have some change since in the 3DS footage, it only fly though about half of the stage.
- they purposely show a fake palutina trophy, and there is no assist trophy for her, which means rumors of her in the game may be true,
- why did deedeedee lost his ability to throw waddle dees? Doesn't that hints a possibility for a new character?
Well, it's FACT that Charizard is the most popular, whether you think of him overrated or not. Sakurai is simply appealing to the masses, no problem there.

-JerAd-

Smash Cadet
NNID
3ts.server
3DS FC
0344-9992-3060
35:10 @ smash direct
CONFIRMED! Donkey Kong's dash attack is a roll!:roll:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I love how they are getting rid of the random elements....smash just got more serious!!!!
I think a better way of describing it, would be that they removed the one random element that didn't benefit anything or anyone[tripping], and stuck all of the fair and fun random elements into "For Fun" mode instead, thus catering to two sides of the same coin and giving both groups a home where they'll feel more comfortable playing with others of their ilk.

Out of all of Sakurai's decisions with the new Smash thus far, I have to say that I believe those two modes are probably the most influential, in terms of how they'll affect the two disparate sides of the Smash community.

It's my opinion, in fact, that we should use these modes as an opportunity to lay down a ground rule, out of respect for Sakurai's efforts, around here...

We should start ostracizing or ignoring the people that will eventually go around making fun of others for playing in one mode or the other.

This is a good opportunity for each side to become more tolerant and to show a bit of sense regarding the other side of the coin; a chance for us to lay out a tone of acceptance regardless of preference, and a stance against people that don't show respect for those different preferences in match style.

These two modes represent a chance for peace between competitive and non-competitive players, so I feel that we should take an active stance to start ignoring the people that purposely and maliciously go out of their way to make fun of people who don't play in the mode that the one doing the trolling prefers.

With the dissenters effectively ousted from both sides, maybe it would cause some influential changes in their behavior that would come full-circle to form a better Smash community?

I think we owe it to Sakurai to try it, personally, or at least something similar to it.
The fighting between competitive and for-fun players has gone on for too long, and if we make a move to shun the ones that use a preference of either mode to start fights, we could be making a huge difference in the tone of our community in the long run...

Last edited:
Top Bottom