• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct - Character Updates

Fansmash

Smash Cadet
Youpiiii ! Yoshi is back ! Sheik and Samus zero suit are back but only ! Charizard is only and not with the Trainer ! Greninja !!!! And Jigglypuff then !
Mewtwo = it's dead I believe.:(

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Nuuuu less chance for Ridley and Ghirahim! (who knows- that may have been the shadow of META-Ridley(hopefully I'm correct))
I doubt it was Meta-Ridley. It wouldn't make sense for the Meta form to be in an Other M stage. Plus the part of his wing or something else that shows up for a split second doesn't look metallic at all...

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it was Meta-Ridley. It wouldn't make sense for the Meta form to be in an Other M stage. Plus the part of his wing or something else that shows up for a split second doesn't look metallic at all...
I know that he doesn't appear in othe rM, but hoper's gonna hope.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Well think about this, then;
We've got the Zelda from Twilight Princess still, yeah?
Far as we know, Phantom Slash isn't something that's connected to her game.
Phantoms are from Phantom Hourglass, the DS Zelda game.
But there it is, nonsensical as it is, in TP Zelda's moveset.
If TP Zelda can use a Phantom from the DS games, [basically a character appearing from something that they aren't based from] then what's stopping Meta-Ridley from appearing in a stage he's not from?

This is Smash, my friend.
Expect the unexpected...

Last edited:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
If TP Zelda can use a Phantom from the DS games, [basically a character appearing from something that they aren't based from] then what's stopping Meta-Ridley from appearing in a stage he's not from?

Expect the unexpected...
Yay! Someone who agrees with me! Am I in the presence of another Ridley fan?

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Explain how he is acknowledging us? if there is anything, he consider us a bunch of ******* playing fox only of FD and shine all day. Also, he changed a lot of movesets for some characters who clearly doesn't need change, while ignoring all those characters who actually needs an opportunity to rise up a few tier.
Fortunately for me, I read from bottom to top and saw tier, and immediately disregarded what you had to say. You're obviously one of "those" kind of players.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

Expect the unexpected...
Even with that reasoning, that doesn't change the fact that the part of Ridley that shows up in the video looks nothing like it comes from Meta-Ridley.

Attachments

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I think there's still a chance for Ridley and an even bigger chance for Mewtwo. Ridley was never stated as a boss and that to me is not a confirmation. Mewtwo still has a great chance of appearing. Considering Brawl had 6 Pokemon characters counting the PKMN trainer's Pokemon, we are only at 4. Enough for both Jiggz and Mewtwo.

I loved the Direct despite four of my wanted characters being deconfirmed (Dark Samus, Saki, Hawlucha, and Blaziken as well as potentially Ridley). Still it's new content and footage and I'm always pleased to see that. Despite the fact I'm pretty meh on Greninja, I still appreciate the character and enjoyed his inclusion. I'm always psyched to see new content and characters.

Last edited:

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Little Mac is one terrafying fighter! GET IT?! TERRA?! GROUND?!

KidKrimzon

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidKrimzon
This iteration of Smash Bros. is looking much better after this Nintendo Direct. I'm happy to see Charizard with his own spot. I hope that he is better than he was in Brawl.
It would appear all returning smashers are receiving buffs specifically to make them more competitive to the rest of the new and returning roster

Explain how he is acknowledging us? if there is anything, he consider us a bunch of ******* playing fox only of FD and shine all day. Also, he changed a lot of movesets for some characters who clearly doesn't need change, while ignoring all those characters who actually needs an opportunity to rise up a few tier.
Sakarai has decided to change the dynamic of stages by adding a constant interfering force to every stage. With that he acknowledges that its not very beneficial to the competitive community, and lets be real, FD's backdrop gets pretty boring. He also hasn’t denied that they will return stages from previous games that held competitive value like yoshi's story.
As far as fighters go, ALL returning fighters are getting buffed and will have edits to their physics and play style. He just edited the move sets of fighters who in BRAWL had little competitive value. Like project M

Ok Sakurai, where's Captain Falcon, Ness, Jiglypuff, and Meta Knight
I heard a lot of rumour floating about metaknight having been playable at the e3 demo.

Last edited by a moderator:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
well yah, gamepad and 4 wii-motes
No its not, sakurai stated that the last person who hits the yellow devil will claim the explosion to use to kill your opponents. If you noticed that the yellow devil has a player 2 icon while player 2 knocks the enemy into the yellow devil just like Sakurai described. So nope its not a 5 player.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Good showing by Nintendo, can't wait to jump in and discover all there is to.

However, there seems to be very little hit-stun (like Brawl). The game does seem slightly quicker paced though, so I'm happy about that.

bengerman777

Smash Cadet
game sucks, its not exactly projectM Project M has more features and better online
sadly I think the game might suck aswell. Only getting it to play mega man for a bit then wait for someone to hack it :p I hate all the new characters besides mega man and all the new features . That stupid frog thing from the new pokemon game pretty much let me down. . . like waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down :/ Whatever though we still got melee and PM ;D

Last edited:

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
I'm sick of that overrated Charizard bullcrap, isn't 2 mega evolution in X and Y enough? Now even smash have to kiss his ugly lizard ***? There are so many better pokemon that should made the list, why is squritle and ivysuar removed? Cant they just copy and paste pokemon trainer to the new smash and change his down-b?
You wanna know why Charizard made it in? BECAUSE EVERYONE LOVES HIM. Hell he receives so much "overrated" hate that truth be told BLASTOISE is the overrated one.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
sadly I think the game might suck aswell. Only getting it to play mega man for a bit then wait for someone to hack it :p I hate all the new characters besides mega man and all the new features . That stupid frog thing from the new pokemon game pretty much let me down. . . like waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down :/ Whatever though we still got melee and PM ;D
image.jpg

Faptain Calcon

Smash Rookie
Yeah this looks like a freaking blast, but I'm not to sure about the competitive scene.. :(
I just hope he brings back wave dashing and dash dancing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hi custom movesets!

Largo Shogun

Smash Cadet
All those people upset about the character/stages/whatever else, let's just remember that there are 4 other smash games out there for us to play that DO have those things in it. Calm down and remember it's a game, and they're meant for fun.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You may want to add this to your compiled list. After Sakurai showed the more noticeable changes to character movesets, he showed brief clips of movesets that had changed properties and a few changes. Two I can recall:
-Sonic's D-air now spikes the opponent and carries the opponent with him exactly like in Project M.
-Link's dash attack is now a jump slash maneuver.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
That was what proved to me beyond doubt that all those times we thought he was trolling and people said it was a coincidence - it wasn't. He was definitely actively trolling us.
Also that waluigi plush when talking about the assists

ReddMudkipz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ReddMudkipz
3DS FC
2079-6699-7855
No release date but the hype is REAL!!! Little Mac looks a little overpowered though. Definitely gonna play him :p

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yeah this looks like a freaking blast, but I'm not to sure about the competitive scene.. :(
I just hope he brings back wave dashing and dash dancing.
IMO, random tripping gone pretty much confirms dash dancing will be possible.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
No more change for Zelda? Greninja added? Mega evolutions of Charizard and Lucario? This is too amazing for one update. Someone help me I need several adults.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
CTRL+F Fortune
no results
none of these frauds play skullgirls apparently

ROSALINA IS SMASH MS. FORTUNE

PaperX

Smash Cadet
With Yoshi confirmed, only 3 of the original 12 have yet to be confirmed. I expect E3's SSB4 trailer to correct this situation.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I love how judgmental Smash fans can get about a game that hasn't come out yet. Apparently, sarcasm is hard over the Net. xD

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Positives:
-I'm glad Capt. Falcon wasn't announced yet because it gives me hope that he'll be confirmed along with a new F-Zero game :3
-Alternate "Final Destinations" looks sick. The actual FD looks sick.
-Two ninja characters in one day.
-Returning assist trophies
-For fun/glory modes

Negatives:
-I'm still hopeful for Mac to receive his pink tracksuit as an alternate costume. The wireframe is ehh but still coolish.
-Any of the other three Pokemon (Squirtle, Ivysaur) would've been cooler. I think Charizard is in to represent the first gen, and to slightly please the people who wanted their dragon character, Ridley, to be in (who was deconfirmed).
-Ridley deconfirmed
-Skull Kid has no moon? (Maybe a stage hazard, then?)

Neutral:
-At first I thought Lucario's Mega Evolution triggers when he reaches his max % of damage (not 999%, but when he is fully powered up from recieving damage), but Mega Charizard makes me think otherwise.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I'd like to point out that assuming Jigglypuff and Ganondorf return, Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda all have 5 characters.

If Zelda gains a newcomer, or if Pokémon gains Mewtwo back, they will have more than Mario, which Sakurai wouldn't do.
Wouldn't really care for any new Pokemon (not even Mewtwo) and for Zelda, maybe one more. If I were to have another Mario charatcer return to even it out, let it be Bowser Jr.
Hold on a second... :GCStart:Where the hell is Falcon? :falconmelee: :falcon:
Hopefully coming along with a new F-Zero game.

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
This direct was absolutely amazing. The Greninja part is going to take some getting used to, but I most certainly don't hate the idea. They needed a relevant character from the series and they made the right choice. The only thing that's unsettling is the roster..So far, no second Fire Emblem rep..no Puff...No Earthbound (Ness)..No Captain Falcon..And many more worth mentioning veterans are missing still. I'm getting scared, because this roster can't be big enough to fit all of these things (at least I think). However *Fire Emblem Awakening spoiler alert*,

Since transformation characters have been deconfirmed, Marth will not be changing into Lucina. Thank the gods!

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
With the whole thing about Ness, Falcon, and Jiggs not being announced yet, I can honestly say I'm not concerned about them at all. For Falcon, the Samurai Goro AT is still in the game, so it would make sense for him to return. And for the lot of them in general, they were in the original Smash Bros 64, which makes them guaranteed to come back. Sakurai has said in the past that the original twelve will always return. With the release of FE Awakening, I'd expect to see one of the new people, like Chrom or something.

Also with Lucina, @ *Risen* *Risen* there's still the possibility for her to be an alternate Marth costume or if Chrom gets added. Think of it like the WFT. A different "form" might show up.

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Get off my frog -ninja he's mine! Greninja main day 1! Let's goooooo!! Hold these shurikens homie!

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
This direct was absolutely amazing. The Greninja part is going to take some getting used to, but I most certainly don't hate the idea. They needed a relevant character from the series and they made the right choice. The only thing that's unsettling is the roster..So far, no second Fire Emblem rep..no Puff...No Earthbound (Ness)..No Captain Falcon..And many more worth mentioning veterans are missing still. I'm getting scared, because this roster can't be big enough to fit all of these things (at least I think). However *Fire Emblem Awakening spoiler alert*,

Since transformation characters have been deconfirmed, Marth will not be changing into Lucina. Thank the gods!
we haven't seen the roster yet. we don't know how it's going to look... maybe it's not a roster anymore but a sidescroll gallery or something... They're not like "oh there's not enough room to fit in more of these squares, now what?". They'll figure something good out. I just know...

Top Bottom