• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct - Character Updates

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
but those customize-able specials tho
even without wavedashing/ l cancelling this metagame is gonna be deeper than the pacific. this game really might save the wiiu as a console because im getting one just for sm4sh!! pic below contains my hype levels and accurate measures taken to contain said hype levels.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I really liked the direct. I only had 2 problems with it.

1. FD only competitive may benefit little mac a lot if he is as good on the ground as he sounds.

2. New character reveal was underwhelming. Greninja was great, but not a huge surprise or shocking.

I still like both of these things, but I hope I'm wrong about little mac. Oh, and custom move sets should be cool.
I agree, while a great Direct overall, I'm a little disappointed with the character reveals. I wish they would reveal more popular characters, like Captain Falcon or Snake. Let's just hope we get some awesome reveals for E3!
I like that they're doling out Snake's interesting moves to other characters

Peace, Snake
He isn't out quite yet, but thing aren't looking the best.

On a side note, Alt. costumes confirmed! Yay!

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Good thing he's acknowledging the competitive community, but I have a fear that this FD stuff might be a detriment. Since he's giving us this ability, this might make him add more stage hazard or "random" stages to the stage roster. Playing on FD for every match gives certain characters a clear advantage over others in terms of stage selection. In other words, Falco will be beast due to his lasers...... if he's in the game that is.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Not sure why people are getting upset about the FD only set up. While a selection of appropriate competitive stages would be good, I don't trust them to pick them out. Also keep in mind that this is for matches against random players only. Any tournament scene isn't going to use it, they're going to use custom rules.

For those who might have missed this piece of information around 10:30 of the direct video he stated that there will be final destination versions of each stage online "For Glory" meaning that the stages will have no hazards and a fixed camera like FD. Watch it if you don't believe me.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Okay, am I the Only one super hype about the mentions of Alt Costumes? Yes?
Oh, okay...

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Seriuosly, man... Don't drop to conclusions and say that the game sucks. Their still working on it, so be patient.
Don't feed him, he's just trolling. Project m uses Nintendo's servers, and it's laggy anyways. Plus, there's no with anyone. He wants a reaction.

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I can't remember all the stage reveals, but metaknight looks like he'll be back. What other stages somewhat hinted a character?

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Greninja was one of the characters that I had been hoping for a lot, I'm glad he got in.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Wait, one more thing. About the special moves. Does this mean we could balance out the characters as we seem fit with no need for modding?

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Did anyone catch the moonwalking thingy Mega Man did around the 6:39 mark? :bluejump:

I don't think that was moonwalking, I think that was an effect because of the yellow devil

game sucks, its not exactly projectM Project M has more features and better online
is this sarcasm because I honestly can't tell

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I'm maining Rosalina, no doubt about it. If you saw her final smash, you'll know why.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I for one am hyped for the FD only feature. While it isn't the best, it's a nice feature for people who want to play quick matches with no items. I think gangsta kirby should not be too upset. If sakurai is willing to create a final destination for each stage, then he must really like FD as well as us. There is a competitive side to all of us.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
"There are no more form changes in Super Smash Bros."?
What does that mean?
I have yet to watch the Smash Direct. I probably will watch it on the weekend.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
"There are no more form changes in Super Smash Bros."?
What does that mean?
I have yet to watch the Smash Direct. I probably will watch it on the weekend.
No Zelda to Sheik or Samus to ZZS or anything like that. They are their own characters now. This also means no Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Greninja looks like a Marth with Samus's charge shot and Pikachu's recovery. It's like a wet dream I never realized I had coming true

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Don't feed him, he's just trolling. Project m uses Nintendo's servers, and it's laggy anyways. Plus, there's no with anyone. He wants a reaction.
ah you saw through my payback aimed at those who bashed this thing claiming that having the OPTION to ply competitively or OPTION to play casually was there which i predicted gave competitive players a bad reputation... nice job, just shows how much of a grudge i have against the rubbish end of the fanbase i will admit that i trolled with that

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I loved everything about the reveal, except for the character section.

-No transforming characters. If it's for the sake of speeding up the game, then fine. And although I know solo Charizard severely hurts his chances, I really REALLY hope they rework Pokemon Trainer somehow. Even if his gimmick is to have twice the special attacks being Pokemon attacks instead of basic attacks.
It's the perfect opportunity to be set him up with exclusive pokeball items Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and perhaps 3 others as well. Heck, maybe Pichu as a nod to Melee, Chansey as a nod to Safforn City, etc.
Of course this is REALLY wishful thinking. I'm not losing my sleep over this. :p I'm already happy with Megaman, Little Mac, Lost World design Sonic, and both Samus/ZSS.
The Battletoad ninja pokemon was kinda cool, but I could really care less about him. Give him props for being water type though.

I also shed tears for Saki being an AT again. Which brings my next point...
I cringe at the ammount of recycled ATs, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Waluigi, Andross, Devil, Saki, Metroid... it's getting kinda dumb if you ask me. I LOL'd at TV Color Game #1 or whatever it was called, lol. Brilliant!
And loved Elec Man, although I would've rather Protoman. Speaking of Megaman... DAT FINAL SMASH. The ultimate Megaman tribute. T_T

Also, lol'd at Final Destination mode.

Other than the characters, I loved every single thing about the direct.
I could go into detail about everything I loved about it... but that's that. It's EVERYTHING (sans characters).

I need to get a 3DS pronto. And then a Wii U as well. :(

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Greninja's attack animations seem really offputting. I mean it's probably to be expected given it's a frog with floppy hands and that gross frog torso thing going on, but it just seems out of place with the rest of the cast.

I doesn't help that hanging in the shadows his form resembles Mewtwo's vaguely.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Shame that we are, as a community, focusing less on all the gameplay changes, good news for the franchise, because the delivery of such tragic news of character deconfirmations was presented blunt and in such amounts, nearly anyone with hope for one thing or another found resentments. It was more a news story to say screw you, fans, overlook the positive, and find just one thing to be upset about, and thusly hold on to that instead.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Smash Run has elements I wish were in Adventure Mode...namely enemies from the different games.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
If the game is coming out this summer that means that all the characters will be revealed via the 3DS version. The Wii U version is coming out in winter. To me, that sounds like there is something else not being spoken of for the Wii U version. The game looks completely finished. Unless it's stage, character, programming, etc. it looks very near to completion.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand. Are zero suit & samus, and sheik & zelda still sharing the same slot, but you can pick between them, or different slots? And WHAATT about mewtwo, jiggles and pokemon trainer? (i would mention pichu, but everyone knows he's never returning and no-one wants him) Is there no room 4 them? NUUUU mewtwo! What about zoroark?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I don't understand. Are zero suit & samus, and sheik & zelda still sharing the same slot, but you can pick between them, or different slots? And WHAATT about mewtwo, jiggles and pokemon trainer? (i would mention pichu, but everyone knows he's never returning and no-one wants him) Is there no room 4 them? NUUUU mewtwo! What about zoroark?
They are different slots now, so no more Pokemon Trainer unless they completely revamp him and actually have you make him run around doing different attacks that are Pokemon related.
I'm one of the few who wants the return of Pichu, but I know that's probably not going to happen. Jigglypuff and Mewtwo may or may not return. The reveal of Charizard and Greninja don't really affect their chances. Zoroark on the other hand appears in the trailer for Greninja's reveal, so at this point I'd say he's a Pokeball assist just like all the other ones shown.

B-Ber

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrashyBrash
I think one of the best things that came from this is that luigi's down special remains the tornado, which in turn confirms poltergust for FS. I'm so excited about this game, especially since luigi is retaining his moveset. ALSO ZSS IS HAWT

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Shiek and Zelda as well as Zero Suit Samus and Samus both have their own slots now. Mewtwo I would say still has a solid chance of returning. It's slim because there's already four Pokemon representatives though. I was surprised. I did not expect Greninja. He seems okay. He didn't do it for me because he hasn't had lasting appeal. X/Y are so new I wasn't expecting a Pokemon that is that new to be chosen. I'm sure a good portion of people who haven't played Pokemon lately are going to pick up smash and have no clue who the character is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So, the exact worst of what could happen to me, regarding character reveals, happened. :p

No Saki, no PT.
I still feel violated... But I'll manage. (Didn't see Squirtle or anySaur in the trailer either so some hope remains).

I'm estatic at some stages. Balloon Fight in particular, since I'm a big fan of the game.
Don't really care about Ridley, his fate doesn't concern me.
Love the online split mode.
Love the 3DS Smash Run mode.
Love the buffs I'm seeing on some characters (looking at you Samus)

There's so much content shown so far, although to be honest there's still a little more to go for it to feel like it surpassed Brawl. (Of course I don't need to point out how the QUALITY of the content in this game is so much better than Brawl's).

I guess it's now over until E3. :S

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
They are different slots now, so no more Pokemon Trainer unless they completely revamp him and actually have you make him run around doing different attacks that are Pokemon related.
I'm one of the few who wants the return of Pichu, but I know that's probably not going to happen. Jigglypuff and Mewtwo may or may not return. The reveal of Charizard and Greninja don't really affect their chances. Zoroark on the other hand appears in the trailer for Greninja's reveal, so at this point I'd say he's a Pokeball assist just like all the other ones shown.
NUUUUUUU that means probably no ghirahim..... :(
Or if they just give him Johto Pokemon or something.
It does affect their chances, as there isn't much room for them. But i really thought that they both would get in...
I didn't see Zoroark....good eye! He was the most popular newcomer i've seen.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Sheik and Zelda as well as Zero Suit Samus and Samus both have their own slots now. Mewtwo I would say still has a solid chance of returning. It's slim because there's already four Pokemon representatives though. I was surprised. I did not expect Greninja. He seems okay. He didn't do it for me because he hasn't had lasting appeal. X/Y are so new I wasn't expecting a Pokemon that is that new to be chosen. I'm sure a good portion of people who haven't played Pokemon lately are going to pick up smash and have no clue who the character is.
Nuuuu less chance for Ridley and Ghirahim! (who knows- that may have been the shadow of META-Ridley(hopefully I'm correct)) What about jiggles? She has to return, as she was one of the original 12 (as much as i hate her, i know she's returning). Yeah, if we had an X & Y Pokemon, i thought it might be part of a choice of Pokemon for the trainer (i thought you'd be given a selection of starter Pokemon to choose 3, but my hopes have been dashed). Thx 4 responding!

edit: oops double post

Last edited:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
You mean competitive tactics that can be dealt with by picking different stages that don't encourage them and make them spammable?

If so, yeah, that's what I meant.

EDIT: Playing FD only is not just dumb, it is also acknowledging an idiotic meme that stereotyped competitive players. That meme should've died a long time ago
To be fair, that meme wouldn't even exist, if the competitive side of the community hadn't spent so long looking down on the people that like items and a wider variety of stages, thus giving someone out there the idea of creating the meme in the first place to look down upon the competitive scene in turn, thus causing all of the people on the competitive side to create all the memes that run counter to it, etc etc etc.

The whole meme war stems from all of the back-and-forth from the two sides of the community.
It was a vicious cycle with tons of stupidity on both sides, and sadly it doesn't seem to have stopped.

We've only got our own discontent against the opposing sides of our own, and thus ourselves, to blame for any discontent that the separate modes are now causing.
We gave the memes life, we made the stereotypes happen, and now we're presented with Sakurai's response; two modes that try to respond to two different sides of the community, that don't perfectly exemplify the ways that either side likes to play.

All I can say is, at least Sakurai has done his part to TRY and cater to both sides.
That's more than can be said for a LOT of other devs, and players/tournament hosts, these days.
I think these two modes will do more to calm aggressions between the two sides of the Smash Community than most of us have done with our own player-run attempts.

And if it fails to?
Well, at least they've kept the ability to customize matches between friends and local players intact.

Last edited:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I had to go to high school literally about 10 seconds before the Pokemon trailer started, so I pretty much killed myself with anticipation, waiting to see who was revealed. My reaction was like this: "Where's Pokemon Trainer? Nice moves, Charizard. Who's that? WHO THE HECK IS THAT?? You gotta be kidding me!" At first I hated the idea of both, Charizard because that means no Pokemon Trainer, and Greninja because that narrows the chances of Mewtwo squeezing in. I've now warmed up to both, but I still hate what Charizard has deprived us all of......

At around 9:55, poison mushroom confirmed. look at Diddy. Was I the first to pick this up? If I was, then that's sooo cool! The first in the world-or at least on a website-to find that out?? I feel special. Also, more evidence for Bandana/Waddle Dee: Dedede now throws gordos. Maybe so you don't get the playable character mixed up with them??

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
So, the exact worst of what could happen to me, regarding character reveals, happened. :p

No Saki, no PT.
I still feel violated... But I'll manage. (Didn't see Squirtle or anySaur in the trailer either so some hope remains).

I'm estatic at some stages. Balloon Fight in particular, since I'm a big fan of the game.
Don't really care about Ridley, his fate doesn't concern me.
Love the online split mode.
Love the 3DS Smash Run mode.
Love the buffs I'm seeing on some characters (looking at you Samus)

There's so much content shown so far, although to be honest there's still a little more to go for it to feel like it surpassed Brawl. (Of course I don't need to point out how the QUALITY of the content in this game is so much better than Brawl's).

I guess it's now over until E3. :S
Dude, at least Charizard is in and is looking stronger than he was in Brawl.

Top Bottom