• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct - Character Updates

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Explain how he is acknowledging us? if there is anything, he consider us a bunch of ******* playing fox only of FD and shine all day. Also, he changed a lot of movesets for some characters who clearly doesn't need change, while ignoring all those characters who actually needs an opportunity to rise up a few tier.
Am I wrong to agree with him?

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Am I wrong to agree with him?
i didn't say anything about that, all i said is he brings a bad reputation and you counters back saying I am a bad reputation,so yeah, Im just mainly upset about this update didn't give us any "new" information, all the one given are expected.

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
Explain how he is acknowledging us? if there is anything, he consider us a bunch of ******* playing fox only of FD and shine all day. Also, he changed a lot of movesets for some characters who clearly doesn't need change, while ignoring all those characters who actually needs an opportunity to rise up a few tier.
wait so he adds the for glory mode JUST to cater towards the competitive scene yet you complain about how he treats you OHHHH my god dude like the competitive community is already looked down upon nothing is going to make that any better so how about you ****ing deal with it and take what you ****ing got which is an acknowledgement and a nice way of having competitive stages but not having to look at the same space background all day long

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Anyone notice that on the stage "Find Mii", there's a Mii held captive in the cage? Mii deconfirmed...until you break the cage, letting him/her out and-

"The more interesting version of you, Mii joins the For Wii U/Nintendo 3DS!"

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
So...competitive tactics then?
You mean competitive tactics that can be dealt with by picking different stages that don't encourage them and make them spammable?

If so, yeah, that's what I meant.

EDIT: Playing FD only is not just dumb, it is also acknowledging an idiotic meme that stereotyped competitive players. That meme should've died a long time ago

Last edited:

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Competitive players are definitely happier with Charizard split from Pokemon Trainer. However, I am probably one of the few who liked switching between Pokemon and having the trainer in the background...so this makes the second time I had a main cut from Smash Bros.

Still, it's nice to see Charizard being able to go into his X Mega form, and I'm excited to try out Greninja.

I also like Mega Man's FS bringing the different versions together.

Is the transformations being limited to Final Smashes due to 3DS limitations or due to people's requests for the characters to be separate?
It's probably due to limitations and slows down the fight a lot

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
wait so he adds the for glory mode JUST to cater towards the competitive scene yet you complain about how he treats you OHHHH my god dude like the competitive community is already looked down upon nothing is going to make that any better so how about you ****ing deal with it and take what you ****ing got which is an acknowledgement and a nice way of having competitive stages but not having to look at the same space background all day long
I have no words... btw, chill the **** down dude.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
I'm sick of that overrated Charizard bullcrap, isn't 2 mega evolution in X and Y enough? Now even smash have to kiss his ugly lizard ***? There are so many better pokemon that should made the list, why is squritle and ivysuar removed? Cant they just copy and paste pokemon trainer to the new smash and change his down-b?
You do realize that Charizard is literally the most popular Pokémon, right? If anything, he's the best choice for the roster in terms of Pokémon.

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
yoshi's dash attack is like dk's now he does a kick instead of a headbutt and he has a different animation for his neutral combo

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
right so i guess you have no counter-argument okay looks like we're done here
Counter-argument? what do you mean counter-argument? I didn't reply with a disagreement because non of the things you said make any sense.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Smash 4 is becoming Meh for me. I am hoping D3 expansion comes out for PS3, more excited about that.

HypaSonic

Final Smasher
So far everything seems to be going in an even direction for everyone. I believe what Sakurai is doing with this Smash is a good step in the right direction. With independent characters to competitive stages, im looking forward to it. (Especially maining Sonic again. :p)

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
i didn't say anything about that, all i said is he brings a bad reputation and you counters back saying I am a bad reputation,so yeah, Im just mainly upset about this update didn't give us any "new" information, all the one given are expected.
I agree, but I disagree at the same time.

First, I do agree that the FD only scheme for the For Glory mode could have been better with a Battlefield only scheme since platforms creates more opponent interaction than with just a flat stage.

What I don't agree with is how you say that Sakurai is giving competitive Smash players a bad rep. If anything, it's more so competitive players feeling largely unsatisfied with anything else except Melee gameplay. I have noticed through the various games I've played on Basic Brawl (when I still felt like playing Brawl online)where most of the time me and three others go to FD. That's something Sakurai even mentioned in the Direct.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
It's almost like the Wii U is a dog in the process of being put down by Nintendo.

Distressing lack of a Fire Emblem reveal... but other than that, amazing!

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Dude, he's definitely regarding us more. He's basically SAID it. Calm yourself and applaud the man. Get over yourself and stop being greedy.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Alright, I'm done johning about the FD-only mode. Like I said before, at least it's something towards acknowledging competitive play.

I really hope that the 3DS version lets players use the Circle Pad Pro for smashes, air attacks and throwing items.

Last edited:

jirachinick

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one afraid M2K will have a guaranteed no loss in "for glory" mode since it's only FD?
Jokes aside, I am glad to see Sakurai paying attention to the competitive scene with "for glory" mode, and am quite excited to try it out.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
We need...more...Ninja...to...Smash!
Give me TAKAMARU!!! wait a minute, is a samurai too.

LOVE THE DIRECT! the online look short but cool in both side, Charizard is alone like he should be. Yoshi is better than better. Greninja I gonna main him. Olimar is too badass.

R.I.P. Saki...

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
Did anyone catch the moonwalking thingy Mega Man did around the 6:39 mark? :bluejump:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Sounds more like you're appeasing to your own needs than for the sake of the game itself.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
You mean competitive tactics that can be dealt with by picking different stages that don't encourage them and make them spammable?

If so, yeah, that's what I meant.

EDIT: Playing FD only is not just dumb, it is also acknowledging an idiotic meme that stereotyped competitive players. That meme should've died a long time ago
Really? In a game with huge variances in stage design, some tactics work better on certain stages, and are not as effective on others. I'm shocked.

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I really liked the direct. I only had 2 problems with it.

1. FD only competitive may benefit little mac a lot if he is as good on the ground as he sounds.

2. New character reveal was underwhelming. Greninja was great, but not a huge surprise or shocking.

I still like both of these things, but I hope I'm wrong about little mac. Oh, and custom move sets should be cool.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Really? In a game with huge variances in stage design, some tactics work better on certain stages, and are not as effective on others. I'm shocked.
Well... yeah. That's pretty much why I don't like the "ranked" FD-only mode. Good to know we agree on that.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Everything was awesome. I only hope that some triangle stages and platform variations make it into the For Glory mode. It looks fantastic.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Everything was awesome. I only hope that some triangle stages and platform variations make it into the For Glory mode. It looks fantastic.
That would be good. Not every character is good on flat stages. For example, the Links excel on places like battlefield over Final destination. Platforms can be really nice depending on the characters moveset.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Hopefully Sakurai will give us more information than shown in the Direct in regards to online. Because there should be more to know about it!

Top Bottom