• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Advanced Technique: Toss Canceling

dettadeus

Smash Lord
apparently you can also toss-cancel histun

at the very least, as peach i've thrown a turnip with downb about 10 frames after getting hit with a rosalina fsmash at 100

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Imagine what Peach can do with this, since she can cancel the animation of her down b by running off a ledge.

TrevonMarrast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luigicheesecake
Wait, so Link, Toon Link, and Peach can do this, but can all characters do this by catching an item mid air, then throwing it and canceling the lag? Or is this completely exclusive to the previously mentioned characters?
That might be possible I'll try it and comeback later!

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
A tech that only three characters can do will draw in a whole fanbase? I don't think so. Mind you, I like the game, but this isn't huge enough to draw in any doubters.
Well in Melee everyone could wavedash but they only used one character, so I guess that's not a problem :troll:

(Just kidding man, not trying to start a flame here).

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
This is extremely interesting to me
can't wait to see what else people find
hopefully some DHD or Greninja advanced techniques

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I have been trying this a lot with Link the last hour, and it's crazy awesome! The sheer pressure you can put on your opponents now with your projectiles is unreal.

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Competitive players will do anything to get an advantage over their opponent. So the answer is no - but they will still try to use this anyway.
Yo, if you feel that "competitive players" are a group that you feel the need to be against, why are you here? Why did you read this article? Why does athletes wanting to improve themselves so they can win make you so angry?

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
This will, and rightly should, be patched out. I don't understand why people want game elements that are detrimental to gameplay. Lag, and by extension, commitment, are integral to the natural push-pull that makes video games interesting and competitively rich.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Yo, if you feel that "competitive players" are a group that you feel the need to be against, why are you here? Why did you read this article? Why does athletes wanting to improve themselves so they can win make you so angry?
Nothing in my post even hinted at me being angry. I am a competitive player too, albeit, one who likes to play "nicely" in matches. I just stated the obvious. If it offended you then I don't know what to say about that. lol

Erahteekuh

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-4781-9590
So basically, as Peach, pull turnip, SH, Z-drop turnip, fair to recatch turnip, then toss cancel the lag?

Neat.

Pity this is even necessary, since Fair used to autocancel. And turnips take twice as long to pull, so it's going to be a lot harder to get them :(
You can cancel the turnip animation by running off the edge and pulling it out right before you run off. its almost instant and you get back on the ledge as if you're edge guarding.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Nothing in my post even hinted at me being angry. I am a competitive player too, albeit, one who likes to play "nicely" in matches. I just stated the obvious. If it offended you then I don't know what to say about that. lol
Sorry, I did overreact.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I kinda figured this out myself last week, but didn't realize it was this good. Haha. I just did it as a habit to lessen lag a little bit but honestly didn't think it was a big deal.

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
This is a great technique and helps link which is awesome knowing where he usually ends up in the tier list. But there is one thing... @ITALIANN1NJA bombs and arrows have been a move in smash. Remember ANIKI.
And i know that's pretty old but the guy beat top player at the time by using those items flawlessly.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
You can cancel the turnip animation by running off the edge and pulling it out right before you run off. its almost instant and you get back on the ledge as if you're edge guarding.
Yep, but this also means giving up center stage and putting yourself offstage, which can be a pretty poor tradeoff when facing an enemy who is on stage.

Edge cancelling turnips is nice and was in Brawl too, but it's not a replacement for fast turnip pulls when you are on stage.

Donavon Bacot

Smash Rookie
NNID
donavon123
3DS FC
5257-8822-9275
Wow! A tech that 3 characters can perform! This is game-changing stuff!

It would have been nice if they just brought back L-cancelling.
they did l-cancelling is in the game

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
And here I am maining link for the fierce deity suit alone
Time to work on some techniques now, exciting isn't it link fans?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
So basically, as Peach, pull turnip, SH, Z-drop turnip, fair to recatch turnip, then toss cancel the lag?

Neat.

Pity this is even necessary, since Fair used to autocancel. And turnips take twice as long to pull, so it's going to be a lot harder to get them :(
There is a solution to your problem! You can cancel the animation of the Turnip pull by running off a ledge as you pull it up.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
If this doesn't attract Melee players, nothing will.

This is a tech mine waiting to be mined.

NOTE: A lot of people seem to have mistaken my former comment (tip of the iceberg) as a jab towards the Ice Climbers. It wasn't. I apologize to anyone who took it personally.
Not everything is towards melee players, It's just a stereotype. Seems like cool tech, will boost viability of the characters.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
There is a solution to your problem! You can cancel the animation of the Turnip pull by running off a ledge as you pull it up.
I'm fully aware of edge cancelled turnips, but against an opponent on stage, that means I have to give up positioning and put myself offstage, which is usually not worth the turnip.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Anyone who hasn't left Melee now, never will.
They would have left Melee had the new Smash Bros been competitively better designed.

"Melee players are just stubborn" is a great way to justify your own mindset and not ask questions though, so go ahead and tell yourself that if it makes you feel more secure in your own biases.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I don't understand why everyone's hating on this stuff. Some people are like "Thats useless" and "Thats only good for really good players", but I think anything that opens up your options as a player is inherently good for the game and fun. Unless its an easy to pull off infinite, I'm ok with it. Like, Zero suit samus's infinite seems fine because its at least difficult to do, and only works on one character.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
More options doesn't make a game better, especially when they skew risk:reward balancing by limiting commitment.

And techniques SHOULD be easy to execute. Competitive video games are a mental contest and should stress knowledge and desicion-making over finger dexterity. It shouldn't be about being able to execute a technique, but rather how and when you use it.

Think about it this way: What if the offense in a football game was allowed to have 13 players on the field instead of 11? It increases the number of options available to the offense at the expense of needing effective play design and skillful execution to move the ball because there are too many options for the defense to be able to cover.

Options should be limited so that players have to dig within their knowledge of the game and the match-up to choose what they believe to be the best option among options with ambiguous outcomes.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
If this doesn't attract Melee players, nothing will.

This is a tech mine waiting to be mined.

NOTE: A lot of people seem to have mistaken my former comment (tip of the iceberg) as a jab towards the Ice Climbers. It wasn't. I apologize to anyone who took it personally.
Wtf? We aren't attracted to tech skill we're attracted to movement options. I love this game but it has little movement options. If this game had dash dancing (like Melee) and crouching out of dash I would've transitioned. Because of that I have to play both Melee and this instead of transitioning.

Top Bottom