• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Advanced Technique: Toss Canceling

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Now that Super Smash Bros. for 3DS has released overseas, players have been clamoring for unique ways to gain an edge over their opponents. Due to the game's release early in Japan, players had already begun discovering techniques both old and new that have spread like wildfire throughout the internet. One of the advanced techniques that has been discovered is the ability to cancel landing lag via item tossing.

http___makeagif.com__media_10-07-2014_PrOsVc.gif

Voila! Technology!
Using a natural item spawned with Down Special after performing a move in the air (provided it doesn't throw the item), as the character hits the ground inputting Down Special causes all landing lag to be canceled into an item toss. Toss Canceling has a nice ring to it, does it not?

*Note: Natural items are items spawned by characters as a move. Examples of this would be Link's bombs, Toon Link's bombs, Peach's turnips, Diddy's bananas, and R.O.B.'s spin top. However, The only characters able to perform this advanced technique are Link, Toon Link, and Peach.

The viability of this technique is potent seeing as it is exclusive to three characters and presents a multitude of unique options, such as:

-Air dodge into Toss Cancel
-Air dodge and Z-air into Toss Cancel(Exclusive to Link and Toon Link)
-Any Aerial and natural item re-catch simultaneously into Toss Cancel
-Any Aerial Special near the ground into Toss Cancel
-Cancel hitstun that would normally send one into tumble using Toss Cancel
http___makeagif.com__media_10-07-2014_zxcS6N.gif

So fancy!

http___makeagif.com__media_10-07-2014_T86mpe.gif

Imagine the stitch face follow ups...
This is only scratching the surface. Surely, advanced techniques such as this will continue to be discovered as the meta game continues to develop over time. What do you think about this technique? How do you feel about the pace the meta game is developing? Share your thoughts below!

ITALIAN N1NJA thanks his fellow friend and Smasher Seesaw for exposing him to this footage. He will be using this technique as a beacon of hope that Bomb Arrows will become a move in Smash someday. Follow all of his bomb shenanigans on Twitter @ITALIANN1NJA.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If this doesn't attract Melee players, nothing will.

This is a tech mine waiting to be mined.

NOTE: A lot of people seem to have mistaken my former comment (tip of the iceberg) as a jab towards the Ice Climbers. It wasn't. I apologize to anyone who took it personally.

Last edited:

Dunk Master

Smash Cadet
Link's not going to be trash tier this time.

Also, why doesn't ROB's spin top work with this?

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
As soon as I read this was limited to roughly three characters, I stopped reading. This is of course good for those three character mains.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
So basically, as Peach, pull turnip, SH, Z-drop turnip, fair to recatch turnip, then toss cancel the lag?

Neat.

Pity this is even necessary, since Fair used to autocancel. And turnips take twice as long to pull, so it's going to be a lot harder to get them :(

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Do you think the game engine and tech will be exactly the same between the 3DS and Wii U version, or will the change in platform effect some very very small amounts of code that shift tech around? It'll be weird and confusing if there is tech for the 3DS version that isn't in the Wii U version, and visa versa. I would think that both versions would run exactly the same but I thought I'd ask you all.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral

This is only the tip of the tech iceberg.
A tech that only three characters can do will draw in a whole fanbase? I don't think so. Mind you, I like the game, but this isn't huge enough to draw in any doubters.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Wow! A tech that 3 characters can perform! This is game-changing stuff!

It would have been nice if they just brought back L-cancelling.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Link mains everywhere just lost their ****

On a side note, maybe we shouldn't find stuff like this, Sakurai hasnt released his Wii-U version yet.....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
A tech that only three characters can do will draw in a whole fanbase? I don't think so. Mind you, I like the game, but this isn't huge enough to draw in any doubters.
Anyone who hasn't left Melee now, never will.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
If you equip light turnips you can re catch the turnip you tossed with an immediately follow up aerial, because it doesn't go very far so you basically can L cancel

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
The game hasn't been out for more than a month and we are already discovering these techniques. I can only imagine what things will be like years later.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Wow! A tech that 3 characters can perform! This is game-changing stuff!

It would have been nice if they just brought back L-cancelling.
Yeah, it would've been nice to bring back a useless tech barrier that only separates the playerbase and only serves to make the higher levels feel good about themselves.

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
Yeah, it would've been nice to bring back a useless tech barrier that only separates the playerbase and only serves to make the higher levels feel good about themselves.
L canceling is better than having no L canceling with laggy moves.

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
This is neat and all, but do we really need to fish for techs guys? The game plays perfectly fine all on it's own

D

Deleted member

oh **** the Link walls are gonna be so good in this game, and I didn't even think he's that good of a character in this one.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So basically, poor old me can't do this because I main Yoshi and Jigglypuff? Dangit...

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950

This is only the tip of the tech iceberg.
Who else read this and lol'd? One tech that three characters can use is not game changing or anywhere near as influential as wavedashing or dash momentum carried into jumps.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I am confused trything this as Link and he keeps using his hookshot so I can't do an aireal...

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Who else read this and lol'd? One tech that three characters can use is not game changing or anywhere near as influential as wavedashing or dash momentum carried into jumps.
"Are you joking" is the better question.
Sure wave-dashing was game changing, but tech like this flips the game on it's rear.

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
And so Link will steadily move up the tier list

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
Wait, so Link, Toon Link, and Peach can do this, but can all characters do this by catching an item mid air, then throwing it and canceling the lag? Or is this completely exclusive to the previously mentioned characters?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Wait, so Link, Toon Link, and Peach can do this, but can all characters do this by catching an item mid air, then throwing it and canceling the lag? Or is this completely exclusive to the previously mentioned characters?
Catching a natural item from Link, Toon Link, or Peach and then canceling the item using a toss will not work. Toss Canceling is done via Down Special and the other characters do not toss an item they are holding on impact with the ground if Down Special were to be input. These characters have the natural item in hand when someone were to input Down Special. If the character already is holding the item, upon inputting Down Special a second time would cause them to toss the item due to not being able to pull another natural item because they are already holding one.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
I believe the reason that this is exclusive for those characters is because with either the bomb or the turnip, there is a command in order to pull those, but if you have one already in had you toss it. So I guess that even if you were to catch Peach's turnip, you woulnd't be able to do it as either of the Links.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
As a person who has been using Peach lately, the stitch face seems to do the same damage(27%) but the knock back has been greatly decreased. Still Fair into Stitch is already 50%

qwillinallthefish

Smash Rookie
NNID
qwillinthefish
I love that the community is finding all of these advanced techniques. Now that we have a sort of dash dancing and special playing options such as this, I think this game is going to be fantastic. Lets just hope it doesn't get patched or taken out in the Wii U version
:211:

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
This would probably be useful with Megaman's Metal Blades and Bowser Jr's Koopa bomb as well.

Edit: Nevermind I just tested both of those and they don't work.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Peach is gonna be up there in the tier lists. I've won a majority of my matches with her in For Glory mode.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
This would probably be useful with Megaman's Metal Blades and Bowser Jr's Koopa bomb as well.
If this works and cancels megaman's leaf shield, this is an incredibly meta changing.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Don't get too exited. This might get (unfortunately) patched.
The only thing I would like to have patched is if there are things that prevent any character from being viable. I'm no Link, Tink, or Peach user, but even I hope they don't patch this.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Warning Received
Guiz! Linkz gud this tyme!!!1111!!!!oneoneoneone!!!!
giant image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
For those that do not know why :diddy: and :rob: can't do it, I'll explain. The three that do this technique pluck an item and it ends up in their hand. :rob: and :diddy: pull an item and toss it with down b rather then pluck it. They have to manually go to where their item spawns/gets moved to and pick it up with A.

:018:

Top Bottom