• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Pokemon Anime and movies do influence Sakurai's decision of who to include, keep in mind, hardly the games.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
wait... today's episode... is a recap filler?!!!?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!

****!
why are we talking about animu here? go... to the backroom and sign up for the BR exclusive game we're setting up with thirdkoopa as the host! talk about more smash bros mafia
I already won the mafia game that hasn't started yet, true facts. I won that fight in the stare down alone, just like all my other fights. You see, there's two kinds of stare downs: stare downs where you stare a man down, and stare downs where you SCARE A MAN DOWN BECAUSE HE KNOWS YOU ARE BETTER, YOU WILL IMPOSE YOUR WILL ON HIM, AND THAT THIS IS THE END OF HIS HOPES AND DREAMS!!!!
If you don't want to play this in a new Wave Race, then something is wrong with you.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
(In case you didn't catch my edit, Kuma)

@ Kuma: Pacing issues are the LEAST of the manga's problems right now, and you know exactly what I mean when I say that.

"Eren, so and so and I are the ______"

Smooth Criminal
Oh? You mean this:

[collapse="Major SNK Manga Spoilers"]
[/collapse]

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Well I think I'm going to go on another hiatus guys.. I will probably be back in September or I might be back next June(heck I might be back next week :p). I'll see you guys around later.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^^^^^^^^^ C'ya. Go back to the character boards if you get bored and want some real debate... just not the Fire Emblem topics... :urg:
I must agree. Kuma go sign up for the mafia so John can win already.
Glad to see someone understands. Perhaps you are worthy to be a part of or an ally of THE MEN OF MOONKNIGHT!!!!

Also Moon, you should join the mafia game, so THE MEN OF MOONKNIGHT CAN DEVOUR THE HOPES AND SOULS OF THE MILLIONS!!!! ...in a figurative way.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
From day one of the Kid Icarus announcement (where some people though her AND Medusa were shoe-ins) I never though Palutena had that good of a shot, actually.

I think it's more likely we don't get here than get her by a considerable amount.

I'm not denying that she has decent or legitimate shot, but I think her "chances" and "odds" (whatever those are) have been overrated from day one.

She just doesn't have that kind of uniqueness to her that we have with the 3 newcomers revealed already, or the "can't miss" status of say K. Rool or Mewtwo... at least in my opinion/observations. Even amongst most of her fans, I find that she tends to lack that whole "hype" feel for her as a playable character, versus just her or her being this imaginary "rep" theory we have with characters (and their franchises).

Heck, most of the "high chances" people say Palutena has is merely to be a "second rep" (again, an imaginary concept) for Kid Icarus, because apparently there should be more Kid Icarus characters (by hey, at least Sakurai fixed the first one after it was terribly designed in Brawl).

My thoughts for her resolve around the chain of events. I'll make it short compared to my original post in that "rate their chances" thread.

1: Pretty much started from Brawl. She wasn't playable at all, but was still there, in that one SSE cutscene and appeared in Pit's FS (along with a trophy).

2: The big part is Kid Icarus Uprising itself. An outstanding game that Sakurai was the head of, and guess who's the head of Smash4? Same guy. A coincidence? What KI:U done was not only have a lot of dialog and talking, but it showed the personalities of Pit and Palutena a lot compared to what many other Nintendo games have done for other characters, but let's move on. There was also the promotional anime shorts that had Palutena in as well, one of em being a more humorous one that revolves around her. A big part was also the Palutena boss battle (despite her being possessed) which showed off some moves that she could use.

3: Smash4 trailer (and developer direct) already reveals Pit and shows him having new moves influenced by Kid Icarus Uprising (see Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars), and may even get a new Final Smash inspired by the game as well, which may give Palutena chances. If for some reason we see this happen, points for me.

I'm not gonna overrate the chances too much, but I will have my want for Palutena a must. Only time will tell with more possible hints will make my thoughts more possible to be real.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
JohnKnight, good to see ya (did I ever officially join the Knights of the Moon, cuz I'm in)

How bout that NBA

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh? You mean this:

[collapse="Major SNK Manga Spoilers"]
[/collapse]
I ****ing love you Kuma. Lmaoooooooooo.

That's exactly what I meant, yes. Hahahahaaha.

Reminder not to click on the spoiler tag for those of you interested in reading/watching Attack on Titan in the future, or haven't been brought up to speed on the current events of the manga.

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This thread needs more knees...

Also, I'm totally waiting for Shortie to bash me for bashing him, and perhaps him defecting to join the N3ON Heels as an ally. I can't wait! :awesome:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I couldn't in good conscious John. I am privy to the dealings you and your knights of the moon partake in and I simply can't be a part of it. Besides rather than the pointless fighting you and the neon heels do I like to participate in more scholarly activities such as creating and running a bomb factory and then promptly creating beautiful explosions all across the land. Ah who am I kidding? I'm part of solider of fortune "demolition" group. For the right price I may be willing to aide you but you'd have to bury the hatchet with my associate, Poppy.

Well I think I'm going to go on another hiatus guys.. I will probably be back in September or I might be back next June(heck I might be back next week :p). I'll see you guys around later.
Baby come back! I feel like you just got back dude. =/ Well I guess I'll see you in a few months.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
JohnKnight, good to see ya (did I ever officially join the Knights of the Moon, cuz I'm in)

How bout that NBA
1. Duh... but I forget what I left you in charge of, as well as your job description! :laugh:
2. So glad the Warriors got Iggy. I always loved him as a player, because he is a complete player, a hard worker, and he's incredible on defense. He can dominate the Ginboli's and the Kobe's of the world with his defensive stopping skills, and he was an incredible asset for the US Olympic team the last 2 Olympics.
3. I'm even happier the Warriors didn't get Dwight Howard. That guy is a cancer.
4. Jazz (fans) get 2 1st round drafts picks, which is good for them. Plus, it looks like they are getting Brandon Rush, too.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My thoughts for her resolve around the chain of events. I'll make it short compared to my original post in that "rate their chances" thread.

1: Pretty much started from Brawl. She wasn't playable at all, but was still there, in that one SSE cutscene and appeared in Pit's FS (along with a trophy).

2: The big part is Kid Icarus Uprising itself. An outstanding game that Sakurai was the head of, and guess who's the head of Smash4? Same guy. A coincidence? What KI:U done was not only have a lot of dialog and talking, but it showed the personalities of Pit and Palutena a lot compared to what many other Nintendo games have done for other characters, but let's move on. There was also the promotional anime shorts that had Palutena in as well, one of em being a more humorous one that revolves around her. A big part was also the Palutena boss battle (despite her being possessed) which showed off some moves that she could use.

3: Smash4 trailer (and developer direct) already reveals Pit and shows him having new moves influenced by Kid Icarus Uprising (see Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars), and may even get a new Final Smash inspired by the game as well, which may give Palutena chances. If for some reason we see this happen, points for me.

I'm not gonna overrate the chances too much, but I will have my want for Palutena a must. Only time will tell with more possible hints will make my thoughts more possible to be real.
Fair points indeed (minus #1; I wouldn't put too much into it, other than Sakurai clearly wanted to "show more" of Pit since he's older character and yet a newcomer). While yes, Sakurai was the head of Uprising, he seems "too humble" to just add "his" characters whenever. While he may have a change of heart in this case, I doubt it.

As for Pit's move changes, I think it was mostly because Pit's moveset was one of the worst in smash history. Three of his specials were terrible, and his aerials just felt/moved awkwardly. All of that was fixed, because quite frankly it had to be fixed, and Pit is going to be better because of it. Similarly, Bowser and possibly even Link went through a similar change (because their movesets were bad; Bowser had way too many shell-based moves, Link too many slow attacks). Yet, we aren't jumping on the gun for a new Mario or Zelda character.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
you know i can't help but click on that elusive "Toggle Spoiler" button... T_______T

ehh, whatever... i read the spoiler to the story randomly in a youtube comment of a completely unrelated video. it just said... "so everyone in AoT has powers now?"
then i went into the shingeki no kyojin wiki cause that's what i do when i lack the information, i go seek it on my own...

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I think Smashboards is the only place I've ever been to that constantly argues the very definition of words.
Seriously. inb4Monkpissesandmoansabouttheimportanceofsemantics
Which is why we should all switch to Lojban. :estatic:

I hope you guys know why it's important, and why I think it's critically important beyond belief. A thesis can be easily dismantled on the basis of the softest straw man incredibly imperceptible to the layperson under the guise of definition by the modern environment, or misinterpretation that comes with not defining words incredibly well. It's one of the things I love to do in discussion, otherwise they would not attain the insight I wish to put forth that they may poke at properly instead of mindlessly flailing. It is key to philosophy, theology, and science, all of which are necessary and indispensable in defining the mystery of life, the universe, each other, etc.. If there were no dual meanings there would be so little confusion and I do guarantee more intellect. It is truly the key, gate, and lock to all issues physical and social. To know the conventions that govern each word in every context, historical or recent, from countless documents, and treatises, is an incredible boon to seeking the truth, that we may live it more fully. I don't know why people find it incredibly droll or stupid or boring or whatever, I find it almost exhilarating, there is no good reason to hate such discussion.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Fair points indeed (minus #1; I wouldn't put too much into it, other than Sakurai clearly wanted to "show more" of Pit since he's older character and yet a newcomer). While yes, Sakurai was the head of Uprising, he seems "too humble" to just add "his" characters whenever. While he may have a change of heart in this case, I doubt it.

As for Pit's move changes, I think it was mostly because Pit's moveset was one of the worst in smash history. Three of his specials were terrible, and his aerials just felt/moved awkwardly. All of that was fixed, because quite frankly it had to be fixed, and Pit is going to be better because of it. Similarly, Bowser and possibly even Link went through a similar change (because their movesets were bad; Bowser had way too many shell-based moves, Link too many slow attacks). Yet, we aren't jumping on the gun for a new Mario or Zelda character.

We'll see in time. He may be humble, but we'll see.

Pit just needed a tune-up. Sure, his moveset wasn't the best, but thankfully it wasn't one of the worst. I don't know. I loved that Mirror Shield. D: Of course it's being replaced by the Guardians. At least Pit will seem much better this time around for sure. Bowser needed to be fixed, too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Monk, can you just keep it short, sweet, and to the point. You write more needlessly flowery than my uncle, and I can excuse him as he's a journalist.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I hope you guys know why it's important, and why I think it's critically important beyond belief. A thesis can be easily dismantled on the basis of the softest straw man incredibly imperceptible to the layperson under the guise of definition by the modern environment, or misinterpretation that comes with not defining words incredibly well. It's one of the things I love to do in discussion, otherwise they would not attain the insight I wish to put forth that they may poke at properly instead of mindlessly flailing. It is key to philosophy, theology, and science, all of which are necessary and indispensable in defining the mystery of life, the universe, each other, etc.. If there were no dual meanings there would be so little confusion and I do guarantee more intellect. It is truly the key, gate, and lock to all issues physical and social. To know the conventions that govern each word in every context, historical or recent, from countless documents, and treatises, is an incredible boon to seeking the truth, that we may live it more fully. I don't know why people find it incredibly droll or stupid or boring or whatever, I find it almost exhilarating, there is no good reason to hate such discussion.
tl;dr tomato tomahto.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We'll see in time. He may be humble, but we'll see.
That's not the only hurdle for Palutena either. She's not exactly the most unique character (although that doesn't mean Sakurai can't make her so), and she doesn't have the same "All-Star" status as say Pac-Man, K. Rool, Ridley, or Dixie, or the same recognizable status as all the previously playable smash characters. She seems stuck in limbo in those regards IMO.
Pit just needed a tune-up. Sure, his moveset wasn't the best, but thankfully it wasn't one of the worst. I don't know. I loved that Mirror Shield. D: Of course it's being replaced by the Guardians. At least Pit will seem much better this time around for sure. Bowser needed to be fixed, too.
Yeah, Pit really needed to be fixed, and my goodness did his fixes look good. It looks like literally every problem Pit had in Brawl is gone, which is good by me.

The same goes with Bowser, who thankfully doesn't look creepy realistic, doesn't look dumb leaning down, and finally uses moves that don't involve his fists or (especially) his shell. Hopefully Bowser is more of a physically imposing character this time around.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's just put it this way: Miss Fit tossed out all speculation conventions out of the window. Anything can happen at this point. Heck, the Villager might as well count since Sakurai "went against his word".

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Quit pontificating. It's annoying as hell.

Smooth Criminal

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Let's just put it this way: Miss Fit tossed out all speculation conventions out of the window. Anything can happen at this point. Heck, the Villager might as well count since Sakurai "went against his word".
Or changed his mind.
When I think of "went against his word" I think of "he broke a promise or vow".

But that's just how I think of things.
Quit pontificating. It's annoying as hell.

Smooth Criminal
Hey, if you're going to pontificate, use protection.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No it didn't. Sakurai always threw us 1-3 random character per game. We got 1 and kinda sorta 2. It doesn't mean all the "highly likely" potential newcomers won't wind up being playable. After all, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, and Snake showing up in the first Brawl trailer didn't kill the campaign for Diddy, Ike, Dedede, or Sonic being playable.

If you were around in the Brawl 2nd Dojo days, you'd know that the Pokémon Trainer, aka a random out of nowhere character, was confirmed in between Ike and Diddy Kong, two characters everyone who knew anything were certain were going to be playable.

With the Wii Fit Trainer's confirmation, we had a all-but-confirmed character revealed on the same day in Mega Man.

The only real thing that the Wii Fit Trainer confirms is that Sakurai can get some realllllllly random characters as his "WTF?" playable characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Mind you that I put that in quotations as my choice of words considering that some treat Sakurai's words as the Bible.

Yo Monk, explaining too much can be counter intuitive my ***. Think like Apple.
Sell me products that are pointlessly expensive?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That's not the only hurdle for Palutena either. She's not exactly the most unique character (although that doesn't mean Sakurai can't make her so), and she doesn't have the same "All-Star" status as say Pac-Man, K. Rool, Ridley, or Dixie, or the same recognizable status as all the previously playable smash characters. She seems stuck in limbo in those regards IMO.

Yeah, Pit really needed to be fixed, and my goodness did his fixes look good. It looks like literally every problem Pit had in Brawl is gone, which is good by me.

The same goes with Bowser, who thankfully doesn't look creepy realistic, doesn't look dumb leaning down, and finally uses moves that don't involve his fists or (especially) his shell. Hopefully Bowser is more of a physically imposing character this time around.

Ridley's overrated. And I know Palutena can be unique. I can see it. Sakurai on the other hand is unpredictable, so he may secretly let Palutena slip on by.

Bowser should be better now, but worries are if the game will have a bit more balance compared to Brawl. I don't want to see another "MK" problem to come for this game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Monk, can you just keep it short, sweet, and to the point. You write more needlessly flowery than my uncle, and I can excuse him as he's a journalist.
This is nowhere near purple prose. I am attempting to convey my knowledge in full, to explain the gravity of the semantics and language with precision requires, unfortunately, many words, lest, again, I be misinterpreted.
This is a roadblock in the modern scholastic field, exactly what you have suggested, and I intend to surpass it, you seem content to stay behind it, and furthermore debase those who seek to go beyond it. It is necessary, every single nuance and secondary example, every third degree of relation, otherwise the whole picture crumbles from one point or another. My standards will hold the house under an assault, some may say those are antlers I'm mounting on the wall for decorating, no, I say, it may explain to some who do not understand in one way what can be said in another. I use antlers in ALL of my decorating. But behind that, it is an excuse to reinforce the hole that was punched through by a cynic or pseudo-intellectual who seeks to, rather than offer me a better home, destroy the house. It is by mutual agreement that we come to know the truth, by love. Offer me a better home if you prefer me to act another way. If it's annoying, simply walk away.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Mind you that I put that in quotations as my choice of words considering that some treat Sakurai's words as the Bible.
I realized that much. Believe it or not things like that rarely ever go over my head, mister.
I just wanted to add the fact he never did anything to warrant a "Sakurai's a big liar" response.
We were in agreement. :c

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Ridley's overrated. And I know Palutena can be unique. I can see it. Sakurai on the other hand is unpredictable, so he may secretly let Palutena slip on by.

Bowser should be better now, but worries are if the game will have a bit more balance compared to Brawl. I don't want to see another "MK" problem to come for this game.
Wii Fit Trainer will be in the S tier just to show everyone the importance of exercising.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Aren't journalists supposed to avoid overly wordy writing, though? It sort of goes against the inverted pyramid style to do otherwise, since it makes it harder for the reader to find the information they need.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley's overrated.
Saying it doesn't make it true.
And I know Palutena can be unique. I can see it. Sakurai on the other hand is unpredictable, so he may secretly let Palutena slip on by.
Of course Palutena can be unique; the question is how does her potential uniqueness stack up against all of the previously playable characters plus the highly considered potential newcomers. If she can't past the test, to hang with the best, she'll be out of the game like all of the rest.
Meta Knight wasn't nearly as bad as Smash 64 Pikachu. Also, that can easily happen again. But seeing as how Sakurai is open to patches for balancing, I wouldn't worry too much (long-term) about balancing. Besides that if it is real bad, we can always ban a character, or have a community mod for either/both game(s).

As for Bowser, I doubt he'd be that problem (as broken as Meta Knight). If anything he'll be a mid-tier or mid-low tier character. I strongly doubt Bowser will ever be a great character unless he gets an actually decent recovery and more legitimate offensive options.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey, if you're going to pontificate, use protection.
I do! It's called "abstinence." :troll:

YOU MUST RECOVER! <--- There we go. Every time you quote Sakurai, you have to put it in bright red font---just like in the King James Bible!

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom