• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Although I agree that Impa would make a great standalone character in place of Sheik, I still wouldn't go as far as to saying Zelda is dependent on Sheik. Zelda can hold her own in a fight if you ask me, though as a character she doesn't come off as a fighter, her magic speaks otherwise. Especially when it comes to smash attacks. Still I agree on buffing her up just a bit, if anything, her speed could increase.
Diddy approves.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Exactly. It is not really possible to predict what Sakurai is doing. You'd have an easier time programming a random generator that selects one out of 1,000 characters and predicting which character would be chosen for the next smash.
I'm not sure why everyone is acting like Sakurai did something shocking and unprecedented? Wii Fit Trainer, yes, none of us saw that coming, but none of us expected Game and Watch or R.O.B either. More then likely she is our token surprise character for the game, we just had the benefit of not having to wait until the games release to find out. Not to say we won't have anymore surprises but you all know what I mean. Even with all that being said she still makes a lot of sense. Wii Fit was one of Nintendo's biggest games, ever. The series became a cultural fad that sparked much of the fitness game movement that followed after it. She's surprising and makes people want to play her, that's really all that matters.

Villager was one of the most requested characters back during the time of Brawl. Animal Crossing itself has become one of Nintendo's largest series to the point where I'd say only Mario, Wii ___ and Pokémon edge it out. The only reason he wasn't topping our charts is because of that Iwata Asks interview long ago, but given how he has changed his mind in past times it really is not that surprising in hindsight.

And Megaman... Well, do I really need to say much? One of the top requested characters for Super Smash Bros for awhile, was probably the top requested character overall before the reveal, and a beloved gaming icon. The only real surprise is how Nintendo managed to do a better job with Megaman in one crossover than Capcom has done in several years.

Even if you set aside the legitimacy of the recent rumor pertaining to Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man; they still make a whole lot of sense as playable characters, regardless of our personal feelings. This idea that Sakurai is just willy-nilly throwing stuff against the wall that make absolutely no sense is a little bit disingenuous to him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gah, it's been a long time.

I saw the trailer, and am stoked.

Also, seeing Villager shown gives me hope that Toad can actually make it in now~

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228

Also, seeing Villager shown gives me hope that Toad can actually make it in now~
Welcome back, Hyperfalcon. I yearned for your return. ( Sorta. )
And Yes, I was "stoked" too.
Everybody was.
We all stoke.
Heil stoke.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord

I'm sorry, but I disagree with ANY other character from the Mario universe making it in SSB4. There's already Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi. It's got to stop. Other franchises need attention too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Welcome back, Hyperfalcon. I yearned for your return. ( Sorta. )
And Yes, I was "stoked" too.
Everybody was.
We all stoke.
Heil stoke.

I have that effect on people. :p

So when will the usergroups be put back up?

@Gargaglione: Yoshi is his own series in Smash. We have 4 pure Mario characters, and Toad is the last one of the original main heroes. I want more Mario villains and more villains in general, but Toad should be in now.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Anyway, continuing the Pac-Man discussion. I honestly think Sakurai would probably use the original design of Pac-Man. But i'm probably wrong.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I have that effect on people. :p

So when will the usergroups be put back up?

@Gargaglione: Yoshi is his own series in Smash. We have 4 pure Mario characters, and Toad is the last one of the original main heroes. I want more Mario villains and more villains in general, but Toad should be in now.
If any other character from the Mario universe is making it in, it's probably gonna be Bowser Jr though, and everyone knows it. He's been a prominent villain in all the newest Mario games and he's easier to implement into SSB4.

AvengerX94

Smash Cadet
I've played 1 of the Pac-man World games on the GCN so I can kind of see a possible moveset pool from that. I also think another possible cool moveset for Pac-man can be based off of all the retro Namco games like Dig-Dug or Galaxia.
But like you said everyone is getting desperate to get their wishlist characters in, so at this point beggars can't be choosers

I completely agree with you. With his Butt bounce, Revroll, and super cape from an early Pac Man game, I don't think it would be hard to come up with a good move set.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If any other character from the Mario universe is making it in, it's probably gonna be Bowser Jr though, and everyone knows it. He's been a prominent villain in all the newest Mario games and he's easier to implement into SSB4.

I really don't see how he's any easier than Toad. He's also not prominent at all in Smash. We saw Toad and Waluigi far more in gameplay. As well as Dr. Mario. Those are 3 big ones right now. Jr.'s low on the list at this time.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Not much longer until the first update. It probably won't be anything much tonight.

Is there supposed to be something tonight officially? Did I just miss that over the past three days? Serious question.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, Pac-Man is awesome.

He may not be one of my actual preferred characters, but he's still a great choice overall.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I really don't see how he's any easier than Toad. He's also not prominent at all in Smash. We saw Toad and Waluigi far more in gameplay. As well as Dr. Mario. Those are 3 big ones right now. Jr.'s low on the list at this time.
Toad isn't in any gameplay, other than Peach's reflector, and Waluigi being an assist trophy doesn't mean much either. Bowser Jr was never prominent in Super Smash Bros because he started gaining steam after the first Super Mario Galaxy which was released far too close to Brawl for it to have had any effect on its development. Now, Bowser Jr has been a huge villain in almost every Mario game since then. Super Mario Galaxy 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and all the New Super Mario Bros games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toad isn't in any gameplay, other than Peach's reflector, and Waluigi being an assist trophy doesn't mean much either. Bowser Jr was never prominent in Super Smash Bros because he started gaining steam after the first Super Mario Galaxy which was released far too close to Brawl for it to have had any effect on its development. Now, Bowser Jr has been a huge villain in almost every Mario game since then. Super Mario Galaxy 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and all the New Super Mario Bros games.

And that totally makes him better than the last main hero, Toad. Who's been in pretty much almost every Mario game ever made.(almost as much as Mario himself) They can both get in, and yes, the fact that both Toad and Waluigi are in gameplay does say something. It means they already have moving character models, making animating them far easier. They both have an attack.

Bowser Jr. barely has a trophy in Smash. He doesn't have what those two have. And likewise, Dr. Mario still beats him out too. Jr. is on the low list of character options, along with Geno, Paper Mario, Mallow, and other such pure Mario characters. Of course Jr. wouldn't get into Brawl. Nobody was expecting him to. We do think he has a chance for Smash 4, but he's beaten out by a lot of more prominent characters. Including Toad.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regarding to what Starphoenix stated a few posts back, at this point we do have a general idea on what will go on, but expectations and reality are not mutual. I presume the reason why we got the first set of newcomers is in order to actually get a sense of surprise, going for something obvious like Ridley would of not worked out as well as people think due to the expectation being so great. Even popular pick Mega Man at least had some sort of surprise factor due to his status as a third party character, and there for had legal barriers to go through.

To put it the way Sakurai stated, going by what is popular is boring. It doesn't mean that popularity has absolutely no factor, but simply going for the obvious just lacks excitement.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It's every weekday in Japan during his lunch break. Right now it's about 11:48AM over there and it's estimated that he'll update the site sometime between 12PM and 3PM.

But today is Sunday. Weekdays are Monday through Friday.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Could anyone really have a thought up move-set for Pacman in SSB4? I keep thinking but it seems impossible..only thing I could think of is rolling and shooting pellets.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pac Man will probably be one of those characters who a lot of us will probably like better after we see him in action. That said, I still do believe there are better options than him (and no I don't mean other Namco Bandai characters).

But if he does get in I would really hope they use this song as the main stage theme:

EDIT: While I'm remembering, I'm wouldn't be surprised if the Luigi's Mansion mini-game from Nintendo Land was based off Pac-Man Vs.

AvengerX94

Smash Cadet
And that totally makes him better than the last main hero, Toad. Who's been in pretty much almost every Mario game ever made.(almost as much as Mario himself) They can both get in, and yes, the fact that both Toad and Waluigi are in gameplay does say something. It means they already have moving character models, making animating them far easier. They both have an attack.

Bowser Jr. barely has a trophy in Smash. He doesn't have what those two have. And likewise, Dr. Mario still beats him out too. Jr. is on the low list of character options, along with Geno, Paper Mario, Mallow, and other such pure Mario characters. Of course Jr. wouldn't get into Brawl. Nobody was expecting him to. We do think he has a chance for Smash 4, but he's beaten out by a lot of more prominent characters. Including Toad.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom