• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It'll only cause another split if smash brothers is bad again.(bad for some of us Melee players that is omg)
But for now well i don't get why no one talks a little about mechanics and things like that. :/
Believe me, I would love to talk about potential mechanics and character changes all day, but my ideas are not what I'd call popular around here, namely the implementation of various cancels and left-right blocking (as high-low would be wonky in this game).

That being said, the split I'm referring to is this alleged new direction. Could it be so different from previous Smash games that it's comparing apples and carrots?

From what I've seen, it's not Melee's competitive depth that makes some people dislike it; it's the fact that it isn't anywhere near as "smooth" as Brawl, and thus feels a bit "choppy" and overly-frantic at times. Well, choppy isn't really the right word, but it's the closest I can think of. For example, I have friends that strongly preferred Brawl to Melee, yet when I showed them Project M, which combined Melee's depth and speed with Brawl's smoothness along with a large and effective re-balancing of characters (people seem to forget that the majority of Melee's cast was fairly weak against the top tiers just because Brawl was worse), they couldn't go back to standard Brawl.
I think the "choppiness" of the animations is probably what spreads the idea that Melee players exploit glitches instead of mechanics. I think what helps in Project M is that they are added in deliberately instead of being the by-product of an open-ended mechanic.

That would be the most boring thread ever.

"They should decrease the number of frames for that Utilt by 9." "This hitbox should be expanded by 17%." "Increase the damage output of that Fair by 2."

"MAKE EVERYTHING GO FASTER."

"Any ideas for some convoluted mechanic that's really hard to do so that I can master it and feel good about myself."
You know? We can easily say this about making/fixing cars. I don't know any of that stuff and I have no interest in it, but you'll see similar types of talks about cars on certain message boards in a different context. They could be talking about the difference in HP, what steering wheel is suitable, the differences between the D gears, etc. I won't spit on these people on having such interest in cars. There's no shame in it, just like there is no shame in discussing the inner workings of a videogame.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Harry Potter doesn't make sense when you stop and critically think about it.
I've heard these kinds of discussions it makes me think if they're too young or something. :S
but yea obviously it doesn't make sense lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How the heck did you arrive to that conclusion? I wasn't even born when that happened.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Believe me, I would love to talk about potential mechanics and character changes all day, but my ideas are not what I'd call popular around here, namely the implementation of various cancels and left-right blocking (as high-low would be wonky in this game).

That being said, the split I'm referring to is this alleged new direction. Could it be so different from previous Smash games that it's comparing apples and carrots?

I think the "choppiness" of the animations is probably what spreads the idea that Melee players exploit glitches instead of mechanics. I think what helps in Project M is that they are added in deliberately instead of being the by-product of an open-ended mechanic.

You know? We can easily say this about making/fixing cars. I don't know any of that stuff and I have no interest in it, but you'll see similar types of talks about cars on certain message boards in a different context. They could be talking about the difference in HP, what steering wheel is suitable, the differences between the D gears, etc. I won't spit on these people on having such interest in cars. There's no shame in it, just like there is no shame in discussing the inner workings of a videogame.

I'm not saying I want new mechanics that dramatically change smash bros it be weird having high and low blocks like SF/MVC/etc.
I don't want a traditional fighter either
just want how Smash Bros was before Brawl came along.
It'd be amazing.
If Smash Bros 4 makes it to EVO, I 'd be all over it

This was actually Kuma, he stood around just to call the driver a homosexual.
Lol sounds legit.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Just realized there was no conclusion to what happened to Master Hand after Tabuu gored him up in the Subspace Emissary. Maybe we'll find out? And where was Crazy Hand during all of this?
Or was Tabuu the puppet master all along?
Who was controlling Tabuu?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's not bring that Dr. Manhattan wannabe back.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That Asian guy may be brave when he stood up to the tanks but he still got ran over anyway. Moral of the story: don't pick fights with someone physically stronger than yourself. :troll:

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I didn't find a point to Subspace emissary
Sonic saved the day somehow lol

BSP

Smash Legend
SSE gave you something to do if you were by yourself.

It was ok, but I want the versus function of the game to work first.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Namco already has a prototype of the game no?
I wonder when we'll be seeing a trailer, picture, or website.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Namco will be listening to us unlike Nintendo which I'm really happy to hear!
We should spread things we all would like not just characters and small things like that but serious technical gameplay and whatnot.
Project M can easily speak for itself and I'm sure Namco has already seen it themselves.
Talking about the technical mechanics and balancing may create a big Smash Bros title like Smash Bros Melee.
I don't see why Brawl players don't like the idea of having the depth Melee had, I mean
Smash Bros Melee is both Casual and Competitive. You can't say no to that! I think its what everyone should agree with. Lets spread our thoughts to Namco!
You know that Sakurai and Nintendo are still making this game. Namco is helping in the same way Game Arts was helping Brawl. It's not like they are calling the shots.

From the talk of things, I don't think anyone gets what Namco's involvement really means.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Idk why we all can't co-exist. It would one thing if it was Competitive vs. Casual, but it's Competitive vs. Competitive vs. Casual.

It's a mess

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That Asian guy may be brave when he stood up to the tanks but he still got ran over anyway. Moral of the story: don't pick fights with someone physically stronger than yourself. :troll:

"Hey driver, you know that Arcadenik guy? YEAH, that weirdo thinks I died, lol. I KNOW, tell me about it!"

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
You know that Sakurai and Nintendo are still making this game. Namco is helping in the same way Game Arts was helping Brawl. It's not like they are calling the shots.

From the talk of things, I don't think anyone gets what Namco's involvement really means.
They're the ones mainly developing the game. Project Sora is just "assisting" Namco while Sakirai still being the director

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Idk why we all can't co-exist. It would one thing if it was Competitive vs. Casual, but it's Competitive vs. Competitive vs. Casual.

It's a mess
and then the FGC is just there telling us Cool Story bro and that we're a party game and takes no skill and what not.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Ya hate how the characters float to much and move to slow in brawl?
Just play brawl on Heavy gravity with metal armor, bunny hats and high speed.
There ya go XD
(Itsa joke guys)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Herp-a-derp, that's no where near close.

Now that's out of the way, some one want to say something useful or interesting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They're the ones mainly developing the game. Project Sora is just "assisting" Namco while Sakirai still being the director
Still, it doesn't mean that Namco is going to make any decisions when it comes to stuff such as the roster (aside from Namco-owned 3rd party) and most of the modes (although they probably will have input on a few, hopefully one of them being online). They will still defer to Sakurai to make all the important calls, just as Game Arts and HAL have done before them.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Just play brawl on Heavy gravity with metal armor, bunny hats and high speed.
There ya go XD
I actually tried that when it first released LOL
Brawl never interested me ever again.
I was laughing when i saw the Brawl finals at Apex it was an MK fest!

Still, it doesn't mean that Namco is going to make any decisions when it comes to stuff such as the roster (aside from Namco-owned 3rd party) and most of the modes (although they probably will have input on a few, hopefully one of them being online). They will still defer to Sakurai to make all the important calls, just as Game Arts and HAL have done before them.
All I'm worried about is the gameplay and how we'll be playing and if it will be competitive

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I actually tried that when it first released LOL
Brawl never interested me ever again.
I was laughing when i saw the Brawl finals at Apex it was an MK fest!
Apex finals was Mk vs. Olimar.

I remember Melee finals on the other hand taking more than an hour.

They won't they are assisting. Sakurai and his group will always have power them since it's always been their project since 64

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Lets talk more about the online aspects
Downloading other players levels.
Sure it was nice at first receiving poorly made levels by strangers via the Smash Service.
But if ya happened to get a good one ya couldn't even save it or edit it.
Nintendo really needs to be more lax with how we share content. A way to search for Levels and a list of Top Downloaded creations is a must have! New content keeps the replayability endless and the ability for the community to contribute will keep it alive for years to come. I'm assuming they're working on more freedom in the Stage Editor,

Sharing Replays
Not everyone has the ability to record their T.V. screen and post replays onto youtube. Think of the millions of unwatched Epics and Comedies being missed out on at this very moment! An Online Replay Sharing Center would be awesome!

Hosting Rooms and Types of Matches
We need a way to host battles in our own conditions (Besides with People on Our Friend List). Right now Brawl is limited to 2 minute matches with Items being a random mix of whatever each player selected, I'm unsure of who selects what stage to play on and you have to play with 4 people. They need to make it more clear who is Controlling what aspect of the match. If you want to brawl 1 on 1 you should be able to. Also stock mode should be an option for online matches.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Apex finals was Mk vs. Olimar.

I remember Melee finals on the other hand taking more than an hour.

They won't they are assisting. Sakurai and his group will always have power them since it's always been their project since 64
I mean by doubles lol
and I know they have the power but Namco will most likely add technical depth like Melee which is what I'm excited about.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I mean by doubles lol
and I know they have the power but Namco will most likely add technical depth like Melee which is what I'm excited about.
They can't add what Sakurai tells them not to. And that's something he'd tell them not to do.

It's not like some secret revolution to overthrow a tyrant, lol.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
They can't add what Sakurai tells them not to. And that's something he'd tell them not to do.

It's not like some secret revolution to overthrow a tyrant, lol.
Then Sakurai should just stop making fighting games and make party games.
You can't have a mentality like Sakurai's if you want to make a good fighting game.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Sakurai is the director, therefore he decides what should be added or not into the game.
If you're expecting Melee 2.0 anything remotely close to it, prepare to be dissapointed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Then Sakurai should just stop making fighting games and make party games.
You can't have a mentality like Sakurai's if you want to make a good fighting game.
The whole idea of Smash is that it's not meant to be like other fighting games. So yeah, in a sense, you could say he's made three great party games already and is preparing to make an even better fourth.

Your views are warped blah blah.

Sakurai's like a daddy that never loved you.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You speak as if Sakurai never made Melee.

ANYWAYS

I know this has it's outdated parts and I plan on updating it now that some type of interesting info is coming out but I'll leave this here anyways...

火山の爆

I. Intro&Table of Contents

I'm back again, this post will touch a few points that have come to my attention of the span of my absence.
  • Possibilty of E3 Trailer
  • Balancing; check subsection of Clones
  • 3rd Parties
  • Public Enemies
  • Newcomers*

II. Thoughts on E3 Trailer

Now obviously I don't believe this is the title screen but it looks nice for presentation
I believe a trailer is more than doable in 4 months believe it or not. In Brawl's trailer it included gameplay. Of course as seen here. Now while watching the video you can see around 0:35 Kirby's Hammer attack is very similar to his Melee's counter part.

Check the next snap of gamplay at 0:42-47! Look at that hitstun! Seem familiar? Looks a lot like Melee's. Also not only but that as we can see 90% of the trailer was just a bunch of Cinematics.

The point I'm trying to get at? Quite simple really.

If SSB4's trailer is a top priority, they can simply use brawl's engine for trailer only purposes, seeing how they did it brawl's trailer. Which leads me to another thing. Why are the engine/physics for Subspace more Melee-like compare to versus mode and everything else? Was Brawl really going to Melee 2.0?
III. Balancing​

Sakurai, Sora Ltd., and co. actually do here the cries of the competitive community or at least what I'm getting from my observations, anyone feel free to challenge me as I am willing to back up my points or if there really is a fatal fallacy in them I'll conceed.

Sakurai's Interview said:
A balance regarding the difficulties of surgical balance changes, and how they don't want characters to "feel the same," adding that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses are intentionally built to differentiate characters. Along with the "oh now that we nerfed this, this other thing is broken," etc. Iwata comments that this type of balancing is ridiculously hard and congratulates Sakurai for pulling it off with every single character by himself.

As seen here, Sakurai and Iwata both acknowledge the fact that all previous Smash installments had their balancing issues Obviously :metaknight:. Moving right along, let's look a little deeper here and get what we are here for, speculating. "...how they don't want characters to "feel the same," adding that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses are intentionally built to differentiate..." Now, looking at it, one could the feel they are changing characters from previous installments (that stay of course) so they won't feel the same. In other words that don't play the same. Now it's connection time, aiyyo N, you might not be around to read this but, this very quote can be the exact reason why you don't like the Brawl :falco: compared to the Melee :falco:. They are striving to give each game a new feel and with that the characters must change.

So that's why characters like Falco, Fox, Marth, *insert other Melee returned character* feel different than their actual counterpart. They did it on purpose.

Let's look at the "built to differentiate" section that specific snipet. Now I think anyone wants to know where that "built to differentiate" part went when they were making Melee and they added (Ohhh this will be a fun one to talk about) CLONES such as
  • Roy
  • Falco
  • Young Link
  • Dr. Mario
Right? Or how about in Brawl with general supsects
  • Lucas
  • Wolf
  • Falco again
  • Toon Link again what?
  • etc.
Right?

Well here's the thing the CLONES as much as the general population as I've seen from the thread tends to dislike are very far from being a CLONE

Here let's break the Ice shall we? All we need are two pieces of information to get this started.

The Definition of Clone

Biology .
a.
a cell, cell product, or organism that is genetically identical to the unit or individual from which it was derived.

b.
a population of identical units, cells, or individuals that derive from the same ancestral line.

a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style: All the fashion models seemed to be clones of one another.

and

"...how they don't want characters to "feel the same," adding that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses are intentionally built to differentiate..." attention stressed on the bolded.

Okay! So now time to take two examples. I'll use two that from Melee and Brawl and show how they
  • Don't fit the defintion of CLONE
  • have "that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses intentionally built to differentiate"
Melee

I'll take out these two in one link :fox:&:falco:. This is set of at the time Japan's best Fox and Falco. These two characters are supposed to be CLONES right? I feel that my video will outspeak my words for how they don't even play the same.

Their strengths and weaknesses are obvious from the set two. Yes both characters fall victim to the fastfall but alot of characters, especially in Melee do.

:fox:'s Strengths
Vertical KOs
Horizontal Combos
Speed

:falco:'s Strengths
Horizontal KOs
Vertical Combos
Lasers

That pretty much covers it for the differentiating. Here where I strongly encourage you to look up Shotos. Shotos come from the same fighting style, which in other words, give off the appearance that they may be CLONES but they actually play differently.

Now onto
Brawl

:ness:
:lucas:

May I say I like to slap myself when I see people say Lucas and Ness are CLONES of each other...smh...anyways

:ness: vs. :lucas:
Ness has control over the air with his moves like Fair, Nair, and Uair. He struggles on the ground
Lucas has better ground control, thanks to his PK Fire, better grab, and tilts.
Lucas has better mobility than Ness as seen in the videos.
Ness kills earlier than Lucas
They are the same weight
Overall Lucas's recovery is better but it is more dangerous to challenge Ness's PKT2

Once again, I encourage everyone to use the term, shotos, instead because neither of these two couples I've listed in Brawl or Melee or CLONES.

Pieman said:
This is sort of unnecessary here. Everyone here knows that they don't play the same, but the fact that their specials (and sometimes normals) appear similar is what bugs people.
True, but many people I've seen still call them clones and say they play the same. This is a long shot to call it a trend but, seeing how the changes from Melee to Brawl, Shotos will start to lose that similar appearance look.

Melee :younglinkmelee: to Brawl :toonlink:
IV. Public Enemies
Now obviously people will have opinions that majorities won’t like. Don’t give up your opinion because it’s not liked, but the worst thing you can possibly do is try to force things down people throats if they don’t like it. This why characters and/or users become singled out. Once you become labeled people either will think of your opinion as lesser or not even consider it. This is how get excluded from debates/discussion.

V.3rd Parties

When it comes to these guys, these guys right here , it’s always a touchy subject. 3rd Parties will always be a topic to bring up and will only get suggested more as activity increases in Smash speculation. As much as we would like to avoid it sometimes it can’t be done.
Sakurai allowed Snake and Sonic and Brawl so it brings the question, who will be next? Some say Megaman, some want 2nd characters from Komani and Sega, some want more obscure choices.
My last two topics are as fully fleshed as the other because well, they are self explanatory.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
The whole idea of Smash is that it's not meant to be like other fighting games. So yeah, in a sense, you could say he's made three great party games already and is preparing to make an even better fourth.

Your views are warped blah blah.

Sakurai's like a daddy that never loved you.
pretty much :'c
he never cared for the community.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Didn't think you'd bring that out Iblis. lol

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Not the foreign community.
But the Japanese community was a whole other story. They had a poll for whether Sonic or Megaman would be in Brawl... CURSE YOU JAPAN MEGAMAN DESERVED THAT SPOT AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!
*Phew* sorry for losing my head there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't mean they will be the ones that decide how certain modes work, I just meant that they will probably offer some input in areas, mostly technical ones like online, that they have more experience than Sakurai and his team do. I'm not saying they will have the final say, any authoritative creative control, or that Sakurai will even listen to them, but I think that them offering input (in just some aspects) to Sakurai (whether or not is actually gets used) is fairly likely.

I know that Sakurai can and probably will make every single decision on his own, but they are experienced enough to at least offer Sakurai input on areas they have alot of practice in, even if he doesn't listen.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
But the Japanese community was a whole other story. They had a poll for whether Sonic or Megaman would be in Brawl... CURSE YOU JAPAN MEGAMAN DESERVED THAT SPOT AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!
The Japanese have had polls in the past, but none for just Sonic or Megaman. Not to mention according to Sakurai it was the West who got Sonic in Brawl, not the Japanese.

Besides, if I remember correctly, Nintendo was having a small feud with Capcom over the GameCube title ports.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I don't mean they will be the ones that decide how certain modes work, I just meant that they will probably offer some input in areas, mostly technical ones like online, that they have more experience than Sakurai and his team do. I'm not saying they will have the final say, any authoritative creative control, or that Sakurai will even listen to them, but I think that them offering input (in just some aspects) to Sakurai (whether or not is actually gets used) is fairly likely.

I know that Sakurai can and probably will make every single decision on his own, but they are experienced enough to at least offer Sakurai input on areas they have alot of practice in, even if he doesn't listen.
You misunderstand my assertion. I completely agree with you. I was just further backing your statement.

Didn't think you'd bring that out Iblis. lol
My trump card when everyone is arguing about this for the umpteenth time.

Three taunts is plenty imo.
O.

Read.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom