• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Armor List

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Ganondorf has super armor during the Flame Choke, and is at least invulnerable to projectiles during the wind-up of the Warlock Punch.

Magus420

Smash Master
When the Fox shorthops the lasers the one near the top definitely appears to hit D3's head while he's spinning though and he flashes when it happens. He appears to take no damage though and he flashes kind of like when you're invincible but I doubt that's what happened. Wouldn't be super armor either since you do take damage with it and it only affects knockback/stun. The laser doesn't have stun anyway.

Maybe that laser that hit his head was a glancing blow/phantom hit? Or maybe it was stale enough to not do enough damage for the game to display the full 1%?

Florida

イーグランツ
Is it already known that grabbing has super armor frames? Could anyone confirm a "yes" or "no" on this, so I can decide whether or not to create a topic on it? Thanks.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
More tests!

More tests: NOTE>>>All FRAME counts are rounded DOWN to the nearest frame.

========================================

Bowser does NOT have SA frames on his Down-B

Ganon's Side-B is considered a grab, and follows the same rules that Magus has found. (i haven't tested to see if the exact frames to see if his side-b, when it lands, truly has 100% SA frames)
Ganon's Warlock punch does NOT have SA-frames against projectiles.

Ike's AAA jab does NOT have SA frames

------
In Depth look at Charizard's SA Frames:
------------------------------------
Charizard's UP-B attack, from start to disabled (blinking in air), lasts 1.08sec.

Charizard's UP-B attack's SA Frames start at Frame 4 (0.0666...sec into the attack), and end at Frame 13 (0.21666...sec into the attack). Charizard's UP-B consists of 9 SA Frames, or 0.15sec worth of SA Frames, which consists of 13% of the UP-B.

Charizard's SIDE-B, from start to finish (recovered and can do anything after), lasts 1.00sec, or 60 frames. Charizard's SIDE-B attack (1st frame to initial hit frame), takes 0.36sec, or 21 frames.

Charizard's SIDE-B attack's SA Frames start as soon as the attack is initiated, and ends at Frame 19 (0.31666...sec). Charizard's SIDE-B consists of 31.666...% SA frames, while the SIDE-B attack consists of 88.888...% SA frames.

Charizard's SIDE-B attack's initial hit frame, which has no SA frame, is considered a regular attack, and can be negated with another strike (also seen as two swords clashing), therefore a grab will out-prioritize the initial hit frame @ frame 21.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
DK cargo throw (Fthrow, where he carries him on his back) has Super armor. As does UpB on startup while his arm is extended upwards.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Tonight's tests

I donno how yall come up with these sightings of super armor :p

Snake DOES NOT have SA armor for his d-tilt
Snake does have SA for his up-b, but i haven't tested specifics on it yet.

Game and Watch DOES NOT have SA on his up-smash

DK DOES NOT have SA armor for his B-Neutral, neither 0% nor 100% charged.

Jigglypuff DOES NOT have SA armor for her down-B
The SA Frames for Jiggly's down-B are being misinterpreted for INVINCIBILITY FRAMES, which is better, imo, but there is no real need to test specifics on that, since if you miss you're dead anyway.

Those who i explain that do NOT have SA armor, except for jiggly, follow the same rule as the AAA and d-tilt rule for ike i explained in ike's SA frame list on the Ike boards.

more to come...

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I was pretty sure DK's punch during it's initial punch animation is super armor since I've hit him during it and had him not flinch. But I could be wrong. For anyone interested, Ness and Lucas have INVINCIBILITY frames on their PK Thunders but the timing is insanely hard. You have to be hit at the exact moment that the tip of the tail is coming out of his body. Neither move cancels but the attack just goes straight through him. I have some vids on my Wii that prove it on Ganon's warlock punch but sadly I have no way of getting them on the computer so if anyone wants to see PM me with your friend codes and I'll add you and send them.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
yeah i thoroughly tested every frame of DK's punch, you probably experienced a phantom hit or a clash between two attacks. That's common to misinterpret, because i thought i found SA armor on Link's f-smash, but it turned out it was a phantom hit.

PM me your code, mine's in my avatar, i didn't really thoroughly test the projectile vs the warlock punch, because 1: i couldn't find it easily, 2: how can it be super armor vs just projectiles?

anyway, PM me your code, mine's in my avatar

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Im pretty certain that Squirtle's > smash has it after the charge and before the attack actually lands. Im not sure exactly how early it sets in but its active after he begins to launch himself forward.

My eyes may have been playing tricks on me though, since I know I landed attacks on him during those frames, but I never bothered to check the damage to confirm it. It could just have amazingly high priority though, but Im leaning more towards the super armor.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I honestly don't think Snake has Super Armor on his Up-B. He just seems to get heavier, so he resists the stun of weak attacks.

And btw, this thread is listed in a Sticky that points to topics with good info.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
hmmm interesting thought there about kirby, im going to look into that, btw DK doesn't have super armor.

and gg this thread never gets updated or looked at by the OP, i should've made another super armor thread imo

Magus420

Smash Master
Are you sure DK's punch doesn't have it when it's attacking/already out? I'm fairly sure I've done this, and I remember someone credible mentioning how in a DK ditto they hit each other with fully charged punches at the same time and they both took the damage but neither flinched from it.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
it could've been phantom hits
it could also be that it has a different property than SA...

i tested every frame of the punch and couldn't find it with my usual falco jab method.

see if you can recreate it please, im curious

i have one theory about it, but it is easier to see on ganon. If you have someone behind ganon, and ganon facing AWAY from them, while charging up his warlock punch. If you hit ganon at the exact frame the punch does its forward purple propulsion he takes damage, but also flinches at the same time.

another theory i have is that his fist is a pseudo-disjointed hitbox, and by hitting it he's not invulnerable, but doesn't take knockback from it.

either that or i happened to miss a frame, and he ends up having 1 SA frame >.>

Magus420

Smash Master
Odd. I was pretty sure it happened one or more times since I was actually trying to use it like that and also watching my damage. I don't have the game myself to try to recreate it atm though.

Hmm. Did you test in training mode or versus mode? Training mode does odd things with damages (they do up to 1% less damage than an un-stale in versus mode), so if you're using training maybe that has something to do with it by not being at full power.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Why do I have to say this multiple times to get people to believe it. Try this noob. Go to Green Greens and fully charge neutralB against the exploding blocks and tell me what happens. DK is a great character.

Super Armor-

Let’s discuss Super Armor. DK has three options, and thankfully, the SA windows are at different places, so you have multiple options to be effective. Learn these windows and apply them effectively as an attacking defensive strategy.

-upB (Grounded)- Super Armor frames on start-up, this is the 2nd longest SA window DK has, it's now as effective as Bowser fortress with Invulnerable start-up, the window is the whole entire time his elbow is raised before it's active, BUT, additionally, there is a small window after invulnerability, and before it's active where you can STILL be hit out of the move. This means that upB is very effective against single strike moves (IKE COUGH COUGH) and not multi stuff like most Dsmashes. on ground, the trajectory is enough to be safe on guard but don't expect much horizontal movement, it only has enough. Finally, the grounded version has AMAZING almost instant recovery, while the last hit has the most knockback of the entire move.

-Full Charged Donkey Punch- Super Armor is the Donkey Punch itself, about 15 frames after startup of a full charge DK punch you are in Super Armor sate. It is set-up such that, it will never trade hits. In a trade situation DK will always win. But, you will still be hit OUT of a DonkeyPunch early.

-Cargo carry, he has Frames for the first 60-120 frames of the opponent on your shoulder.

-This makes the IC match much better as you can throw them now.
-This will utilize hazards like Onett. LOL free car deaths.
-Improves DK's role in group/team Brawl.
-Pick up snake and walk over his own Grenades/motion sensored bombs.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
**** dude you dont have to insult people :D, i skipped over your posts. Personally, i blame the OP for not updating enough, if it were me i'd read everyone's post for the sake of updating.

I wasn't previously aware of the UP-B or the cargo carry, and ill give those a shot, but it'd be tricky to test the cargo carry with only two controllers, just for the sake of how it works against other things except for mines and such.

I'll also retest for the SA frames on the punch, but also, with your explanation it just seems that DK's punch is the highest priority attack in the game (which i will then test against ganon's warlock punch).

I don't know when, but ill get around to them sometime where im not inundated with school work.

As for magus, i was on VS mode. Can't get a timer on training mode, which is what i use to get my frame counts.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
It's all good Novalombardia, I assumed people read all post, but it's definitely understandable that everyone doesn't. I believe the public demand for the first post to be updated is rising tension around here. the OP sucks, sorry to jump your *** when you are actually doing something. Geez, someone should really start a new thread with this crap compiled. I'm not nominating anyone specific, but, I'm not doing it, as getting something stickied/removed around here is so strenuously hard where the mods are some form of elitist.

There should be a Moderator for each individual character forums. READ THIS MODS!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
DK certainly has super armor on his B punch and up B. As in enough super armor that my friend got two accidental hits on me with DK that where quite clearly super armor fuelled.

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
smashbros.com said:
Furthermore, when you attack with a full charge, Donkey Kong won’t flinch when he throws his punch.
Anyway, I hope you'll look into Kirby. Good luck with it. I'm in Europe >_>

Daichi

Smash Cadet
im pretty sure kirby has super armor during the last few frames of inhaling someone. I was fighting him with mario, and i went for a b-air while he was inhaling. The attack hit and he took dammage, but he didnt flinch and i got inhaled. Sorry i dont know the exact frames though.

Magus420

Smash Master
Kirby's inhale is grab based. In Brawl, when a grab connects with an attack at the same time the grabber takes the damage from the attack but also gets the grab on them. Since they land the grab they don't actually go anywhere from the attack and it just looks like super armor. It is not the case however.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
after i do some more tests on the DK theories, im thinking about posting a new thread about this, which will be looked at almost every day,

everyone okay with that?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby copies Heavy Frames along with the attacks that have them built in (Ike & DK).

Link_blade_master17

Smash Cadet
But the problem with kirby is that his recovery time in this game is very ,very slow. i mean if you come down with your down b (rock bottom) and you miss, n e body can come up and grab you combo it from thier. If you are going to use kirdy then you need to absorb sonic or snake. not Ike or bowser. Do fast, weak hits on your oppnent rather than slow powerfull attacks. just a word of advise^^:)

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
you should check out squirtle's forward b.
the momentum can be altered but he takes not damage and stays in his shell when hit.

also, squirtle's forward smash has a moment of super armor. i forget if he takes damage or not, but i know he can't be interrupted at a certain point.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
pretty sure his side-b is just invincibility

im gonna go test a few attacks for an hour or so, bbl

think i can make a new SA thread without getting flamed?

EDIT: SQUIRTLE'S F-smash DOES. in fact, have super armor. However i wasn't able to test specifics. (this is a tough one). One thing i am sure of, however, is that the f-smash has only 1 frame of super armor, i'm just unsure of which exact frame it's on (i have trouble spotting which frame to prep a falco jab on). But its the frame right before he launches himself forward. Any other frames afterwards are considered a regular attack and can be negated by another attack (aka two swords clashing). Though, being such a small character and using his shell, its nigh impossible not to negate his attack with another, unless you use a projectile.

To sum it up, his SA isn't at all practical, you have to get lucky for it to work.

I confirm Wario does have SA on his F-smash and Down-B, but haven't tested specifics yet, more to come.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Lucas and Ness have a few invincibility frames on their PK Thunder just as the tip of the tail is coming out of them. Not super armor but I think it makes sense to include it while you're listing this stuff. I have videos on my Wii proving it but don't have the equipment to get it on the computer. The timing is very precise so PM if you want to see the videos and it'll save you a lot of work.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
Super armour is great! (a great pain in the butt...). Great job compiling this list, it's been very useful!

Magus420

Smash Master
think i can make a new SA thread without getting flamed?
Considering there hasn't been a single real update made to this thread to my knowledge besides adding in to credit the person from SRK, I say do it. Plus you actually know what you're doing when it comes to thoroughly testing it so a bunch of things random people claim to have it won't make it on there making the list useful.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Considering there hasn't been a single real update made to this thread to my knowledge besides adding in to credit the person from SRK, I say do it. Plus you actually know what you're doing when it comes to thoroughly testing it so a bunch of things random people claim to have it won't make it on there making the list useful.
Okay, ill give it a shot. I'm more worried about me being credible or not, because im not exactly and old face around here, especially not as credible as say m2k would do his tests :p. but i don't mind anyone re-testing my stuff, since i am confident in most tests i do anyway.

Also, mansen, grabs do not have super armor, as previously stated and proved by Magus.

Also, trozz, i believe the PK thunder is just invincibility frames, but i'll still test it to verify.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
PK Thunder is definetly just invincibility frames. It is possible with both Lucas and Ness and occurs just as the end of the tail leaves his body. What you might be confusing it for is some moves you can accidently tail whip the enemy while trying to do it and cancel out only half their attack which sometimes results in very little knockback but still damage. You can do this with Ganondorf's punch but it's obvious you were still hit because you get the purple junk on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom