• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I'd like for him to incorporate a trench coat of sorts to give homage to his DD version, but have him look just a little older and retain his golden scarf.

The "change of plans" was apparently only in the Nintendo Everything version. Source Gaming's doesn't mention anything like that at all.

At the same time I don't understand why Sakurai would push it back if nothing changed, because the reveal was happening over a week before the column came out anyway (it still got pushed back a week). And I don't understand how the translations can be so completely different from one another.

But I don't really know. I'm just speculating. There's just a lot of weird things going on is all.

He'd definitely get an updated design to fit in modern times, yeah. I don't expect him to look exactly the same way he did in Brawl. I think the biggest difference I could see happening is actually making Isaac look like he's 17, instead of looking like he's 14 or something.
Speculation or not I felt you were on to something with the blog posts and what not.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Speculation or not I felt you were on to something with the blog posts and what not.
Don't forget the "Music Theory". It's funny that it has two different cases that both benefit Isaac. The (at least) one song per series. And my favorite, one different composer each song. Golden Sun composer, Motoi Sakuraba has yet to be revealed and he's one of THE biggest ones in the music department for Smash. You would think he'd be shown by now. Hmm?

Shin F.

Smash Master
The blog posts are only going forward right now. As far as gaps, everything has been filled in except for two posts, but tbh, I'm not confident it was always intended to be like that. But its hard as hell to say anything right now. The fact that two posts still haven't been filled in is definitely weird.
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever checked older blog posts to see if any others have been skipped since the beginning?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever checked older blog posts to see if any others have been skipped since the beginning?
There have been a few. At least two in a row, with one being a really weird situation. Ness' memory should be 120. The ID in the hidden title is 200, but the images are for 120. (121 is also missing.)

I've heard a few other posts are missing, but they're rare. I'm thinking about doing a full analysis myself to check.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Wow. Incredibly well said.

Hey guys I have a question. If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied? Personally, I don’t think there’s another character that will consistently be in the front of my mind, but if I had to choose it would likely be either Toad, or the ever so deceased Ray from Custom Robo.
Might be a tad late to the punch, if Isaac were to be added, I'd probably only push for Skull Kid since I'd be pretty content with the Roster. I've already gotten some of my favourite veterans - Roy, Little Mac, Cloud, Shulk... My most wanted newcomers in Inklings, Simon, Ridley and K. Rool... Skull Kid would be the next character at the top of my wishlist, but I wouldn't any other characters that might join the fight. ..provided it's not freakin' steve...

ZelDan

Smash Master
After Isaac, other characters I want the most:
  • Geno
  • Elma
  • Dixie Kong (Unique, Semi Clone, Chromified echo, I'll take any 3)
  • Impa (Only Zelda rep I have any interest in TBH, I'll even take Sheik echo)
Characters I don't want that badly but would kind of like to see:
  • Bandana Dee
  • Crash Bandicoot (liked the Crash trilogy, Iconic, could laugh at PSASBR more)
  • Rayman
  • Felix (Isaac echo obviously. Felix would be cool, but he's mostly just a bonus. Isaac is the real target)
Don't see it happening at all and could be controversial but f*** it it'd be cool as hell to me:
  • Master Chief

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
If Isaac gets in, then the only fighter I'll really want is Vaati.

Anything after that is stuff I might put my support behind, but nothing I'll really want.

Unless, of course, Lucina gets cut somehow...

Then I'll want her back in.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, if Snake can get in, Wynaut?

Who knows, maybe someday down the line we could see the big MC in Smash. I’d certainly take him over Steve.
Not saying he's completely impossible, and he certainly has some Smash qualities to him, but he definitely has as alot going against him.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
You know, I think those two are super underrated characters. Especially Dragon Quest. I think Erdrick would be perfect and would actually make a ton of sense. I feel like a lot of people are sleeping on him, the same way they slept on Cloud during Smash 4.

And Ryu would be hella awesome. A good successor to Simon in my opinion.
Sorry for the late reply Dragon quest is really iconic in Japan so I wonder why it took so long and erdrick would be the one to get in for sure and ryu needs to get in so we can have a real ninja

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the late reply Dragon quest is really iconic in Japan so I wonder why it took so long and erdrick would be the one to get in for sure and ryu needs to get in so we can have a real ninja
All these classic characters but nah we need pokemon #35 and FE #20.

Last edited:

Knight-Adept

Smash Cadet
Such are the spoils of relevance. May that Golden Sun shall have that problem in the future!

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
All these classic characters but nah we need pokemon #35 and FE #20.
I didn't mind the fire emblem picks till Roy got back in then it was enough and I was tired of pokemon when mewtwo came back we have enough of these franchises zelda needs more donkey Kong needs one more etc etc

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Mm... The translations of Famitsu are weird this time around. Can we or can we not confirm the original draft of the direct was not used and Sakurai apologizes for being missing? Any of our Japanese speaking fellow adepts care to help?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Mm... The translations of Famitsu are weird this time around. Can we or can we not confirm the original draft of the direct was not used and Sakurai apologizes for being missing? Any of our Japanese speaking fellow adepts care to help?
I believe PushDustIn PushDustIn was in the process of Translating it. He's probably busy so he might not drop in to confirm or deny what you said, though.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mind the fire emblem picks till Roy got back in then it was enough and I was tired of pokemon when mewtwo came back we have enough of these franchises zelda needs more donkey Kong needs one more etc etc
Yeah I was being a tad melodramatic there, but you get what I mean I hope. :p
I just feel bad for all these older series' that have zero representation but then you have all these other series' with 5 or more.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
PushDustin already translated it. The version on SourceGaming (which is down last I heard) doesn't mention any change of plans. And IMO I feel like that is more likely. If there were I doubt Sakurai would want to say anything about it as it'd be too damn obvious.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581

Hey guys I have a question. If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied? Personally, I don’t think there’s another character that will consistently be in the front of my mind, but if I had to choose it would likely be either Toad, or the ever so deceased Ray from Custom Robo.
Rex and Pyra
Elma
Springman
Shantae
Karate Joe

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Well I'd be over the moon of course but I'd probably mainly support Banjo & Kazooie and Phoenix Wright after that.

I'd also support Chibi Robo but not as strongly.

I don't have much hope for Elma if she doesn't make it in to the base game to be honest and if Rex & Pyra get announced as dlc characters they might end up being the final nail in the coffin for her unfortunately. I'll still back both of them because I'd like to see a second Xenoblade rep.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Because Rathalos is an Assist Trophy.
Rathalos is an assist trophy so showing that picture off for Rathalos and for a Golden Sun tease at the same time. There is no doubt in my mind that the picture is completely planned even if it is in the smash data base. The fact that he went out of his way to comment on it and to tweet it in general is just way too coincidental. Not too mention that he really thought it was cool. People think that he is just referencing Rathalos, but it's more complex than that and Sakurai has already said that he has to be careful about what he tweets.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Honestly all these points for Isaac are really valid. I just hope Sakurai doesn't go like " Here's all these popular requests" in the next direct and then completely act like Isaac never made it across. That would really suck :/. However, knowing that we have gotten a lot going for us as of late ( aside from Vegetable Man or a few other leaks) here's hoping the sun does rise up again. :D
If the next Smash direct continued the popular request theme of the August direct no way Isaac isn't going to get revealed as he's pretty much one of the most obvious, long requested characters still missing. I could see the final smash direct revealing Isaac, Ken, Square rep (Geno likely) for instance.

After the August direct, Sakurai mentioned that this roster was chosen from the ballot. And of the characters Verge has mentioned, Incineroar and Steve just don't really fit that ideal.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If the next Smash direct continued the popular request theme of the August direct no way Isaac isn't going to get revealed as he's pretty much one of the most obvious, long requested characters still missing. I could see the final smash direct revealing Isaac, Ken, Square rep (Geno likely) for instance.

After the August direct, Sakurai mentioned that this roster was chosen from the ballot. And of the characters Verge has mentioned, Incineroar and Steve just don't really fit that ideal.
It is true if we go by the remaining characters that are mentioned by Vergeben none of them really fit the term "ballot winner". (Although Square enix rep probably is Geno)

I know some people don't think the ballot will determine every character, but I'd imagine there would be at least another one or two of them on the way for the base roster. Saying that in August and then revealing non-ballot picks from then until December would be pretty odd to say the least.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Well, this is an easy answer.

See my signature. :laugh:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Skull Kid and Impa echo will be perfect for Zelda. D.K just needs Dixie to be perfect.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
There is a new item called Death's Scythe, and it reminds me of Karst.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

Sakurai said it was INFLUENCED by the ballot, not exactly chosen. Incineroar fits the mold of current generation Pokemon that Smash has had going for years (the Pokemon Company has been known to give him designs in advance, i.e. Greninja happened). Steve, idk. It feels really weird to talk about Steve because I'm not sure how to feel about him. On one hand, representation from the most successful indie game of all time that would appeal to a non-Smash audience. On the other hand, he's owned by Microsoft and most longtime fans of the series would rather have Banjo-Kazooie or even Master chief over him. The question becomes "is Sakurai willing to endure the massive backlash Steve would get him in order to broaden the game's appeal?" I don't think he would, but hey, Corrin happened, so who knows. Point is, the ballot, while determining a lot of things in this game, is not determining everything in this game.

Edit: Also, just checked the Steve thread and they have a whooping 5 pages and 6 supporters (not even the poster of the OP is on the support list). Hopefully that should give you an idea of how popular Steve is amongst the Smash community.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
Sakurai said it was INFLUENCED by the ballot, not exactly chosen. Incineroar fits the mold of current generation Pokemon that Smash has had going for years (the Pokemon Company has been known to give him designs in advance, i.e. Greninja happened). Steve, idk. It feels really weird to talk about Steve because I'm not sure how to feel about him. On one hand, representation from the most successful indie game of all time that would appeal to a non-Smash audience. On the other hand, he's owned by Microsoft and most longtime fans of the series would rather have Banjo-Kazooie or even Master chief over him. The question becomes "is Sakurai willing to endure the massive backlash Steve would get him in order to broaden the game's appeal?" I don't think he would, but hey, Corrin happened, so who knows. Point is, the ballot, while determining a lot of things in this game, is not determining everything in this game.

Edit: Also, just checked the Steve thread and they have a whooping 5 pages and 6 supporters (not even the poster of the OP is on the support list). Hopefully that should give you an idea of how popular Steve is amongst the Smash community.
Honestly Steve doesn't deserve to be in smash IMHO, Isaac is most definitely more deserving.

To top that off, choosing Steve over Banjo is a real big problem, Banjo is definitely more iconic and is a much better representative than damned Steve. >.>

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Influenced? The translations I see all say that he flat out used the ballot as reference to choose the characters this time around

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Going off the characters who have currently been revealed, Ridley is self explanatory, August direct Sakurai prefaced every new character by how popular/highly requested they were, and even recently Isabelle still fits the popular character mold. Even the assist trophies are seeing popular new faces like Krystal and Shovel Knight who likely all had their presence in the ballot. There has yet to be a character added that sticks out against this trend but Pokemon doing so would be no surprise.

Before Verge came out and deconfirmed three of the most popular choices for the Gen 7 rep (Decidueye, Lycanroc, Mimikyu) I didn't see much people mentioning Incineroar. Even with concept art, don't see how Sakurai would look past Decidueye's design for Incineroar but if he's the one chosen then that's that. Considering that Gematsu was completely right until the end where it predicted wrong, I'm not inclined to believe characters are in cause a leak says so until said character gets revealed and Sakurai breaking patterns wouldn't be anything new, especially if the Pokemon company opted to instead use DLC to promote a Gen 8 mon, like how Corrin was in before his game was out for NA.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied?
Thanks!

Frankly, if no one else was announced, I'd play Ridley and Rosalina and be mostly satisfied (after pouring one out for Isaac). There's already 68 characters. That's absurd.

I want Sami from Advance Wars just as much as Isaac, but that's a pipe dream unless she's Snake's Echo. Maybe for DLC they'll do more echos and we'll get her. Any Advance Wars representation in this game would be amazing. The Tanks and Infantry aren't even back yet...

I heavily support Shantae as I've played all her games and Cristina Vee is my favorite voice actor, but I am not upset if it doesn't happen.

I enjoyed XC2 and look forward to Rex and Pyra, though I'm not super anxious for their inevitable arrival. Elma was a much cooler character. I also would like them to skip boring ol' Springman and just add Twintelle from Arms, but they won't, the conservative jerks.

Finally, I've been playing Okami on Switch and I quite like Amaterasu as a choice. She'd be great in Smash.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Part of me believes (or wants to believe) that Sakurai and team and/or Nintendo are making fake leaks to throw off the real ones and snuff them out. It wouldn't surprise me if they are doing so.

One of my favorite moments of a fake leak gone mad was from Gravity Falls creator, Alex Hirsch, where he made a fake leak by taking a picture of a "debug?" scene of one of the episodes that would spoil everything. Then he posted it on 4chan, then made an angry tweet about it, then delete said tweet. After the episode in question aired and didn't pay off (but was a great episode nonetheless) with the fake pic, everyone was in shock. Then Alex comes out and says what he did. I laughed and thought that was absolutely brilliant.

Kinda hoping that's what's happening now to keep the real surprises in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly Steve doesn't deserve to be in smash IMHO, Isaac is most definitely more deserving.

To top that off, choosing Steve over Banjo is a real big problem, Banjo is definitely more iconic and is a much better representative than damned Steve. >.>
The thing is, "deserving" is pretty subjective. Comparing Isaac to Steve, I'd agree with you, since Isaac is a Nintendo property.

But comparing Banjo to Steve? Steve is definitely more iconic. I didn't know Banjo-Kazooie existed before Smash but Minecraft is in pretty much everywhere. A character hailed from Minecraft would definitely more iconic than a character that had a few very good 3D platforming games in the 90s/2000s to casual audiences.

And "a better representative" of what? Microsoft? They don't share anything except that. Objectively, Steve would be a better represantative of video games in whole, since he actually comes from a genre that isn't in Smash yet.

I don't particularly want both characters in Smash but only things that makes Banjo a 'better' choise is that

1-) He used to be a Nintendo character (insert Geno vs Cloud here)
2-) He's wanted more by long standing fans.

I can easily see him going in from 2, since K.Rool was in a similar situation. But that doesn't mean he objectively is a better choise than Steve.

(And as people said, this thread should be about Isaac, so I'm dropping the discussion, sorry for the interruption)

Top Bottom