• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I have a question. If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied? Personally, I don’t think there’s another character that will consistently be in the front of my mind, but if I had to choose it would likely be either Toad, or the ever so deceased Ray from Custom Robo.
Midna is always someone I've always wanted low-key, but she's already deconfirmed for Ultimate.
My other most wanted fighter is Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia).

Isaac is definitely leagues above the rest.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
For assist trophies we might be able to "deduce" what some of them are likely to be. Obviously guessing wont tell us anything, but we can still make some educated guesses. For example I can see Duster from mother 3 as one. Literally every party member from earthbound and mother 3 have been represented in either final smashes or as assist trophies so I don't see why duster would get a lesser treatment

Anyways that's one guess down, just 9 or more to go lmao
Kid Icarus had two assists in both Magnus and Phosphora and none of them have yet to be confirmed and we know there's no way Kid Icarus is not having at least one of their assists returning, or getting a new one altogether lol.

I remember back in the younger days of this thread I made this long post analyzing all of the yet to be confirmed assist trophies, forgot most of what I said but I still subscribe to the fact that if Sakurai is touching Isaac's old Brawl model, it's to make him playable.

It makes no sense to put effort into updating an old outdated assist trophy in both graphics and function (since assists have now advanced to doing more than just standing in one spot and can get KO'd and yada yada) just to fill the assist quota when he could save time by porting over the many Smash 4 assists that would take less work to polish to Ultimate's graphics.

Gray Fox is currently the only Brawl assist (as in ones who didn't make the leap to 4) to return simply cause Snake has made his return as well.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Wow. Incredibly well said.

Hey guys I have a question. If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied? Personally, I don’t think there’s another character that will consistently be in the front of my mind, but if I had to choose it would likely be either Toad, or the ever so deceased Ray from Custom Robo.
I would be completely satisfied if Isaac got in (especially Felix as his echo and/or any GS content after Isaac being a PC). The only other characters I may focus on would be #2: Shadow (hope he's a unique or at least a semi-echo) and #3: Sora. But even if these two didn't get in, I wouldn't mind at all as long as Isaac got in. I would also hope for all the other characters that many fans have wanted for so long to get in like Geno, Banjo, BWD, Skull Kid, Shantae, RH rep, Advanced Wars rep, Ray III, another F-Zero rep, etc. I hope they all finally get their day.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
If isaac gets in I'll move on to NES icons and cool franchises that should be in smash like dragon quest but I'm gunning for ryu from ninja gaiden
You know, I think those two are super underrated characters. Especially Dragon Quest. I think Erdrick would be perfect and would actually make a ton of sense. I feel like a lot of people are sleeping on him, the same way they slept on Cloud during Smash 4.

And Ryu would be hella awesome. A good successor to Simon in my opinion.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Well I'm supporting more than one character at the same time right now so I guess every other character that I'm supporting would be it. Currently I'm supporting Isaac, Skull Kid, Geno, Banjo Kazooie and Lloyd. If I had to say with which I would be satisfied, is by getting our Sun Moon Stars trinity, meaning Isaac + SK + Geno. Isaac is mostly in my mind now because I just finished GS 2 and i should be playing DD but i'm just replaying GS 1 again lol. Before I got into Golden sun just recently weeks ago, I was mostly focused on Skull kid, but now both of them are in my top list, followed closely by Geno who i simply want for the sake of his fans, since i haven't played the game myself but he looks interesting and I'm happy to see others happy.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace

I think you all know who I am shifting gears to

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I dunno. Even among Legend of Zelda characters, polling put Skull Kid beneath both Impa and Midna. Would he really be more likely than Isaac?
1. Impa is a Echo Fighter candidate only so different category.
2. Nope. Midna is not as big as Skull Kid. Majora's Mask (the mask itself) is a merch mega seller and is super recognizable to even non-video game players. Midna? Not so much. She's largely been forgotten by general video gaming audiences since a few years after Twilight Princess (doesn't help that game was pretty forgettable and less stylistically unique than the 3D Zelda games that preceded it).

Skull Kid also got a resurgence in popularity due to Majora's Mask 3D and Hyrule Warriors, the latter where he is a prominent playable character.

Plus we've gotten so many hints at Skull Kid in Ultimate it's actually crazy.

Whereas Midna is... an Assist Trophy

Again.

Never underestimate Merch and an ability to stand out. It's a key reason Golden Sun was big from the get go.

(People in 2001-2004: a full fledged Super Nintendo-esk RPG on the GBA? NEAT!)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
After Isaac is revealed I'll be campaigning for Banjo, Paper Mario, and Bandana Dee.

Confirmation

Smash Ace

Geno all the way.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Eh, I'll still be rooting for Vaati. (If both Isaac and Vaati are in, we can have Earth vs. Wind. That'd be awesome!)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So I only drop by to see what's going in this thread occasionally, but there's something I'm curious about: What's the current conscensus on what Isaac's Final Smash should/could be? Considering the thread's length, I'm sure this came up at some point already, but I hope you can understand why I wouldn't want to dig through all that.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
So I only drop by to see what's going in this thread occasionally, but there's something I'm curious about: What's the current conscensus on what Isaac's Final Smash should/could be? Considering the thread's length, I'm sure this came up at some point already, but I hope you can understand why I wouldn't want to dig through all that.
Isaac's Final Smash is as much in the air as the rest of his movepool, lol. The main recommendations I've seen are Judgement, Iris, Charon, or some of his more rockin' psynergy like Grand Gaia

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
1. Impa is a Echo Fighter candidate only so different category.
Eh I wouldn’t quite say that. She might seem more likely as an echo nowadays. But that’s the same thing people were saying about Isabelle. Before echoes were revealed, it was, for the most part, mutually agreed that Impa was the front runner of unique Zelda newcomers. While I do doubt she was prioritized for Ultimate (I mean I doubt any Zelda newcomer will be added to Ultimate, pre-DLC at least), I don’t think she should be ruled out as a unique character.

Before echoes, and all of the loz18 and purple/yellow chair stuff, Impa was well above Skull Kid.

Edit: Not trying to downplay Skull Kid or anything. I think he has a ton going for him, like you pointed out. I just feel like a unique Impa is more of a possibility than people give it credit for.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Isaac's Final Smash is as much in the air as the rest of his movepool, lol. The main recommendations I've seen are Judgement, Iris, Charon, or some of his more rockin' psynergy like Grand Gaia
The part of me that wants Isaac's moveset to stick strictly to earth psynergy low key wants that Grand Gaia final smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Got plenty of characters I can shift gears to on my sig, depending on how circumstances evolve. Shantae and Rayman are definitely among the first, though.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
What if we were to get the Elemental Star Chamber as our GS stage instead of Venus Lighthouse? How would you feel about that?
Considering that area is in my top five places for a GS stage, absolutely OK with that. I mean, let’s be honest here, as long as they put Isaac in the game his stage could literally be anything and we’ll be ok with it.

It’s just that Venus Lighthiuse makes the most sense as a GS stage. But, honestly, Golden Sun is filled with amazing set pieces that could easily make the transition to becoming a stage.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I have a theory for the assist trophies. The remaining ATs haven't been revealed due to being connected to the remaining playable characters or stages.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

I will be satisfied with just Isaac since he is my most wanted and the one I have been rooting for the longest. That said, I'd shift and support fellow threads, mainly Geno (because Geno Bros are the coolest and they deserve it) Skull Kid and Monster Hunter (my 2nd and 3rd most wanted)

pholtos

Smash Journeyman

Geno and Lip. Beyond that characters that'd add something unique to the game.

D

Deleted member

Birthday question; should I buy a copy of New Leaf - Welcome amiibo? I turn 29 Sunday and I feel like needing stress relief for college.

And I can get a copy for around $15 brand new.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
I will support Lloyd and Geno after Isaac, while I don't care about Geno, old pals must stick together, so he will become the character I will push for.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
If Isaac gets in, I will just accept whatever the heck is thrown at me after that. He's the only character I've ever really wanted in the game.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Birthday question; should I buy a copy of New Leaf - Welcome amiibo? I turn 29 Sunday and I feel like needing stress relief for college.

I haven’t played the updated New Leaf, but regular New Leaf on it’s own is great. I personally love it, but it definitely isn’t for everyone. The one important thing I’ll say is that this game will suck time out of you like no tomorrow. It can also be a bit repetitive, but it is a very relaxing and happy game. Would reccommend (especially for that price).

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I don't have the exact numbers.

We can at least determine that the number of supporters was very low. I checked two sources. Fan polls, and trend searches.

Evidence.jpg
Looking at trends, you can see the only times where steve truly spiked before 2018 were before and after the ballot. May and November of 214 and 2015 respectfully. So that would be mean interest for him lower during the ballot. That doesn't scream a good turnout.

Then, we have the fanpoll consolidator that had a huge amount of exit polls used as a determiner. You can check it out here.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

As for Isabelle, i can say i believe she was an echo at one point. Some circumstances happened in deveolpment, so she was boosted into a semi-clone. (Which is something that steve can't do since he wouldn't be able to be cloned off of anyone because of his games.)

It's probably the best sandbox game ever made.
Now wait just a minute. That's an entirely subjective opinion that has no bearing over weather or not Steve has a chance to get in. It adds nothing to the conversation, and it feels awkward when saying it the way you did.

We don't really have the ballot results.

We don't know that yet.
To that i say, yeah. We don't have evidence to the contrary. But we do have the fanpolls, which so far seem to at least be on the road to being accurate. But even then, i'd say it's a much better than suggesting there was a silent majority that voted for Steve. Because if it did, we wouldn't be getting the characters like we are in Ultimate.
Also I actually can see Steve getting in before Banjo. I like Banjo, but look at the Smash 4 choices. Its very possible Steve gets in.
It was also possible that characters like King K Roll wouldn't get in.

Here's the thing, i think it's easy for us to try to focus on tropes established in the last game. But based on the evidence so far, Ultimate doesn't seem to be the same in terms of charcaters like Smash 4 was.

Let's not kid ourselves; if you want interesting or well-developed characters only in Smash, Bayonetta and Lucina would be the poster children and everyone from Mario to Duck Hunt Dog to Isaac would be in the trash bin. Being a "character" (or having animations or an obvious moveset) is not a prerequisite or even a boon for being in Smash Bros, re: Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer...

I don't think we can overstate the cultural impact of Minecraft. It's the Legos of the 2010's. It's the same thing kids today grow up on, enjoy and love that gives fond memories, one of the games that get you through childhood and adolescence loving video games. That's what Pac-Man, Tetris and Super Mario Bros were to my parents, what Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon, and Golden Sun were to me. Minecraft, by any sales or influence metric, deserves to be represented prominently in gaming's history.

If I were to guess as to why there's such a negative blowback for Steve, it's because of that generational gap. While everyone has probably played it, including my 30 year-old butt, Minecraft was that formative experience for the next generation. It was, and is, a young kids game, someone who is 15-19 now would probably have great memories about it. In my mind, I learned how fun video games could be from Golden Sun or Majora's Mask, but I'm old. And there's some kind of perceived superiority with people of a certain age or maturity because they want to feel more advanced or experienced or older to be cooler. And Minecraft's the opposite of that, right? I think it's more mature to realize what this game means for others.

It may not be your fondest game, but it's absolutely a great one. It's undeniably a popular one. And I can promise you it is the fondest, formative memories for so, so many young people across the world -- people who could possibly enjoy Smash Bros too. That is, if their personal history and experiences with video games were acknowledged and represented.

I've spent years trying to figure out what Sakurai meant by "have you ever made a game," but I think it's things like this.

Also, if Steve were in the game, it would all but guarantee the inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie too.
I think you've missed the point of what i'm suggesting. Instead of speaking about much of a good game Minecraft, i think what my argument is that there's very little evidence to suggest that Steve was even a mid-tier choice during the ballot. And yeah, i can definitely say with confidence that there were much more 3rd party choices that had much more vocal support behind it.

And yeah, perhaps pandering to the younger generation would be a good move business wise. But why would Nintendo take the chance when there's so little demand behind? At least from when the ballot happened.

Nintendo knows Banjo is highly requested, he (along with isaac.) are very much fan favorite requests since the Brawl days. So unlike before, they are surely aware of Banjo's popularity.

But instead of doing what they've been doing so far, they go for the character like steve. A character that most definitely wasn't as requested as someone like Banjo.

I know Sakurai is a troll, but i don't think he's that sadistic to disappoint the banjo fans after waiting for so long.

And no. I doubt we'd be getting 2 licensed Microsoft newcomers in base game. That would be way too expensive.

Anyway, that's a lot of text for one day. Going to sleep.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Isaac or some Golden Sun character has been the only endgame for me in Smash. My only real desire to see happen. That's not to say I wouldn't support Geno or others, but it definitely wouldn't be the same type of push. For other characters, I would probably be very happy if they were in but it would be a give or take it attitude - doesn't truly bother me. With Isaac, I've had a connection with the character and more so the games, and I just want to stand up for a position that is rightfully his in a game series that I love.

I think it's as simple as that for me. I wouldn't be so fervent about it if there were already a GS character in the game because I'm really not asking for much here. I just want one playable character for Golden Sun in a Smash game. It's the glaring hole in this roster since Brawl.

1st party Nintendo? Check
Popularity? Check
New franchise not yet represented in Smash? Check
RPG with combat that lends itself readily to a platform fighter? Check
Successful franchise with games in the series selling over a million copies? Double Check
Used to sell two systems for Nintendo in promotional material? Check

This is like prime real estate that should be a no-brainer in a Nintendo All-Stars game. How many legs do we need to have up on everybody to actually get into the game? For real. I respect Sakurai, I really do. The man is a wizard and just prints money in the form of video games. But if we get another round of diddly squat, then the game is taken down a peg in my book.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
If isaac gets in I'll move on to NES icons and cool franchises that should be in smash like dragon quest but I'm gunning for ryu from ninja gaiden
I’m easily rooting for Shantae. Isaac and geno are my top 2 most wanted, but the sexy half genie girl deserves to get in too!

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Isaac or some Golden Sun character has been the only endgame for me in Smash. My only real desire to see happen. That's not to say I wouldn't support Geno or others, but it definitely wouldn't be the same type of push. For other characters, I would probably be very happy if they were in but it would be a give or take it attitude - doesn't truly bother me. With Isaac, I've had a connection with the character and more so the games, and I just want to stand up for a position that is rightfully his in a game series that I love.

I think it's as simple as that for me. I wouldn't be so fervent about it if there were already a GS character in the game because I'm really not asking for much here. I just want one playable character for Golden Sun in a Smash game. It's the glaring hole in this roster since Brawl.

Popularity? Check
Successful franchise with games in the series selling over a million copies? Double Check

This is like prime real estate that should be a no-brainer in a Nintendo All-Stars game. How many legs do we need to have up on everybody to actually get into the game? For real. I respect Sakurai, I really do. The man is a wizard and just prints money in the form of video games. But if we get another round of diddly squat, then the game is taken down a peg in my book.
All of this and somehow it hasn't been enough to get Isaac into smash yet, it's crazy

TappyBat

Smash Ace
All of this and somehow it hasn't been enough to get Isaac into smash yet, it's crazy
maybe sora just doesn't care all too much. " they got their assist and music that should be good. now to focus on things people really want!" -brawl era sakurai

"um, sakurai, sir? people are wondering what happened to isaac's assist" "who? dunno who that is. give them some music or something they should be fine with that" -smash 4 era sakurai

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I support many (and I mean many) characters. Most Nintendo characters with some notoriety have my support. Isaac getting in would probably make me push harder behind his GBA/Brawl AT brethren (Lyn, Saki, Ray, Andy, Waluigi).

My most wanted is and will probably continue to be Prince Sable, so him too.

I definitely recommend it. You can’t go wrong with Animal Crossing. Such a soothing experience.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Popularity? Check

This + the fact the Rathalos pict shows the undeniable camelot style with the most known franchises' main characters that have use swords in Nintendo, with a party of 3 and missing one to make the usual 4 party members, it just screams to me that Sakurai is acknowledging Isaac to be the 4th most important character from type of games and he is gonna include him. Call me a dreamer but all of what you mentioned + this to me is something we can't deny at this point and it would just make perfect sense. I'm praying for it to finally come true now…

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
This + the fact the Rathalos pict shows the undeniable camelot style with the most known franchises' main characters that have use swords in Nintendo, with a party of 3 and missing one to make the usual 4 party members, it just screams to me that Sakurai is acknowledging Isaac to be the 4th most important character from type of games and he is gonna include him. Call me a dreamer but all of what you mentioned + this to me is something we can't deny at this point and it would just make perfect sense. I'm praying for it to finally come true now…
Also forgot to comment on this but someone brought out earlier that this picture is not a clean version from the website, like as much as I've been watching it, never really noticed the 'menu' button in the right corner. Once again it's like this picture was made with the intention of Sakurai highlighting/tweeting it out. As if it isn't already a coincidence that a picture reminiscent of Golden Sun was chosen at random. And considering a portion of the August direct already dedicated time to Rathalos, I don't see why he'd sit down and screenshot more Rathalos and call it awesome lol.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Honestly all these points for Isaac are really valid. I just hope Sakurai doesn't go like " Here's all these popular requests" in the next direct and then completely act like Isaac never made it across. That would really suck :/. However, knowing that we have gotten a lot going for us as of late ( aside from Vegetable Man or a few other leaks) here's hoping the sun does rise up again. :D

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Something that I don't think we've touched on in a while, but what were the blog entries this week, number-wise?

Do we still have those gaps?
The blog posts are only going forward right now. As far as gaps, everything has been filled in except for two posts, but tbh, I'm not confident it was always intended to be like that. But its hard as hell to say anything right now. The fact that two posts still haven't been filled in is definitely weird.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
The blog posts are only going forward right now. As far as gaps, everything has been filled in except for two posts, but tbh, I'm not confident it was always intended to be like that. But its hard as hell to say anything right now. The fact that two posts still haven't been filled in is definitely weird.
That's odd. Do you think Sakurai's change of plans that he mentioned in his recent Famitsu column have anything to do with those missing blog posts?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you've already discussed this, but if Isaac gets in I expect him to get a redesign like Pit or Roy (who was from the same era). What would you like to see or not see changed?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's odd. Do you think Sakurai's change of plans that he mentioned in his recent Famitsu column have anything to do with those missing blog posts?
The "change of plans" was apparently only in the Nintendo Everything version. Source Gaming's doesn't mention anything like that at all.

At the same time I don't understand why Sakurai would push it back if nothing changed, because the reveal was happening over a week before the column came out anyway (it still got pushed back a week). And I don't understand how the translations can be so completely different from one another.

But I don't really know. I'm just speculating. There's just a lot of weird things going on is all.

I don't know if you've already discussed this, but if Isaac gets in I expect him to get a redesign like Pit or Roy (who was from the same era). What would you like to see or not see changed?
He'd definitely get an updated design to fit in modern times, yeah. I don't expect him to look exactly the same way he did in Brawl. I think the biggest difference I could see happening is actually making Isaac look like he's 17, instead of looking like he's 14 or something.

Top Bottom