• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sukapon: The Joyful, but Reluctant Owarai Fighter

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Brawl Sukapon thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=75492

The entire OP is also posted in the "Credits" section below

Joy Mech Fight was an original fighting game for the NES. When I say original, however, the plot is a clear rip off of Mega Man.

Two scientist friends (Dr. Little Emon and Dr. Ivan Walnuts) work together to create robots for various industrial, commercial, and military purposes, when one decided to betray the other and use the robots for EVIL. Taking them all except the commercial use Owarai robot known as Sukapon. Vowing revenge, the good scientist takes Sukapon and transforms him into a combat robot. More or less... You fight 8 robots per level and there are 4 levels. Plus a boss at the end of each. To unlock most of the fighters you have to go through the highest difficulties, which I found pretty challenging.

Because of the way they made the characters, limited by the NES, Joy Mech Fight had the largest roster of characters for the longest time at 35 playable characters. Like Ness and similar characters, Sukapon's moveset may seem limited, but with the added potential of taking moves from other characters in his game (35 of them) he has quite the potential. The characters themselves have no limbs, they are mostly balls suspended in the air.

Sukapon himself has a strange fighting stance that resembles a ballerina spinning. His main attacks consist of spazzing out and throwing his head at opponents:
Konaniran - Thrusts his head forward, and it comes back (Some kind of electro-magnetic field holding the parts in place...?)
Sukapon Toss - Generic suplex-esque toss
Tondeker - Uses his head as a projectile and launches it straight forward. He must have some kind of instant repairing nano bots or telescopic spares in his body because it immediately "Regrows"
Sukapon Roll - Sukapon does a cartwheel foward quickly. Can also be used in air to great effect

Here is a "Let's Play" of Joy Mech Fight from DeceasedCrab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uy7otTkfI4

---

I don't have much for this thread at the moment, but I plan on updating with a lot of information shortly

Sukapon in Media:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cToFXPUTBP4 (MUGEN Sukapon Vs. Scorpion)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5TBT8pTcE (Egoraptor apparently fav'd this...or something)

Fan Art, off the Internet

Credits:
*note: borrowed fanart from www.bisuke.biz

Name: Sukapon, sometimes referred to as Skapon (Ska-pon)
First, and Only, Appearance: Joy Mecha Fight for the NES, 1993

Suggested B Moveset:

B: Tondeker--Otherwise known as "Bum Head" (by me :laugh:). Sukapon leans forwards all the way, throwing out another copy of his head with a O.O face. It moves slowly, but travels about as long as Luigi's Fireball, dealing surprisingly good damage with light knockback.

Forward B: Konaniran--Pulls back his head and throws it forwards, knocking back opponents as it travels. Goes about the distance of a Falco Phantasm, then immediately flies back to his body. If the direction the head flew is held (forwards), then the head stays in place, and Sukapon's body slides towards it. Great for recovering onto platforms.

Up B: Soaring Skapon--The only original move in the bunch. Sukapon curls into a tight ball and leaps upwards a bit, then shoots out his four limbs in a full spread, knocking back anybody near him. He remains like that for a split second, almost looking like he's soaring, then begins to fall. If used in the air, he gets more height off the initial jump. Also, if his hands happen to touch the ledge, he'll be pulled towards it. One of the perks of having hands you can shoot off from your body, huh? :p

Down B: Skapon Roll--Skapon pulls his limbs closer to his body and does a fast cartwheel forwards, dealing damage to whoever he runs into and then knocking them away as he bounces off (basically like Rollout). You keep tapping B to move a little faster, and if used in the air goes diagonally down, like Rollout, but Sukapon executes the attack the second you hit Down and B. Sukapon cannot turn using this attack; he only goes the distance once, and then rolls out of the attack. However, interestingly, he CAN jump, and still executes the attack while jumping. If he goes over an edge, OH WELL XD

Taunt: Does his dance he always does in game

Entrance: Dances a bit, his head falls, and he picks it back up and screws it on. Just like his entrance in JMF.

Why should you want Sukapon? Because he's from one of Nintendo's original fighting games, and if you discredit Punch-Out as boxing, and Urban Champion as being too simple, he's from the first. He has a full repertoire of attacks already, and his "fighting form" has been shown, so the transition from Joy Mecha Fight to Brawl is simple. Also, the unique ability to shoot out his limbs, not unlike Rayman, can come in very hand, giving him some incredible reach. Finally, he's just a funky robot, who wants to groove and tell jokes. Nothing wrong with that. The game could use a little bit more humor anyways, don't you think? ;)

I'll update later with a full moveset and comments, like I make for most of my character ideas, and answer any questions you guys may have. But until then, SKAPON ON! :chuckle:

***PICTURE***

EDIT: Cut out the Diddy parts, so now it's ALL Sukapon! ;)

EDIT:

--VIDEOS--

One by yours truly... almost a year old!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5TBT8pTcE

And another, humorous, MUGEN video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cToFXPUTBP4

A nice remix of the theme
Suka-Bump~ Reminder he's still possible. Enjoy this remix!~

Enjoy!

Check this out! (From http://ssf2expansions.motionforum.net/t4041-joy-mech-fighter-sukapon) by Blitz n' Barrage

This is a group between ...(Blitz n' Barrage)... Credit to me and all the others who worked on the sprite over at the Spriters-Resource.

Weight: 95, according to this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Weight#SSBB_Weight_Ranking
Speed: 3.73 , according to this: http://wi-fi-tournaments.forumotion.com/t143-ssbb-character-speed-chart-slowest-to-fastest
Jump: 2.35, according to this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Jumping#Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl

Entrance-
This should be in front, 75% transparent. A large white explosion should occur between frames 9-10.
Stance-

Walk-
Repeat frames 5-12.
Run-
Repeat frames 5-12.
Turn Around-

Jump-

Double jump-

Back jump-

Back double jump-

Falling-

Land-

Basic combo

Neutral Special: Tondeker

Air

Description:
Sukapon's signature move in Joy Mech Fight, he throws a copy of his head forward. It isn't very fast or powerful, but it deals decent hitstun.

Side Special: Skapon Roll
Repeat frames 9-16

Description:
This functions as a non chargeable version of Jigglypuff's Rollout. Use in air makes him fall at a 30 degree angle.

Up Special: Sky Dragon
Frames 6 and 10 should be 50% transparent and completely pink, and frames 7 and 11 should be a darker pink, and be 75% transparent.
Frames 9 and 11 should be 50% transparent and completely pink, and frames 8 and 12 should be a darker pink, and be 75% transparent.
Description:
An attack used by Shenlong in Joy Mech Fight, Sukapon uppercuts and teleports upward

Down Special: Astrong
Hold frame 8, and make it flash white twice. This is when it does damage.
Air
Hold frame 4, and make it flash white twice. This is when it does damage.
Description:
An attack used by EYE in Joy Mech Fight, Sukapon crouches with his hands together, and whoever touches him receives decent damage and knockback.

Forward Smash
Smash-
This can be double pressed, like Link's. The first hit has little knockback, the second does a large amount.
Up Smash
Smash-

Down Smash-
Smash-

Neutral air-
Hold frame 10 until contact with anything.
Up air-

Forward air-

Back air-

Down air-
He completely stops moving during this. Meteor Smash.
Aeriel Lands-
Crouch-
Hold Frame 3.
Down tilt-
He moves forward at frame 6.
Up tilt-

Forward tilt-

Dash attack-

Grab miss-

Grab-
Hold last frame.
Pummel-

Foward throw-

Up throw-
He jumps up while doing this, so the spinn frames should be like this:

Back throw-

Down throw-

Final Smash-
This causes everyone to start taunting, similar to the Amigo Assist Trophy. It lasts about 10 seconds after the animation is finished, allowing Sukapon to attack anyone almost freely for that time.
Guard-

Back Roll-

Forward Roll-

Sidestep-

Air dodge-

Tech-

Wall-Tech-

Wall-Jump-
Shield Break (Dizzy)-

Sleep-
Repeat Frames 4-8.
Wake up-

Hurt 1 (Hit)-

Hurt 2 (Sent Flying)-

Hurt 3 (Dead)-

Hurt 4 (Getting back up)-

Get-up attack-

Edge lean-

Hang-

Ledge attack-

Ledge roll-

Assist trophy-

Hammer-

Item Swing-

Fire Flower Hold-

Walk While Using Item-

Item Shoot-

Item toss-
Forward:

Up:

Down:

Back:

Hold heavy object-

Walk w/heavy object-

H.O Throw-
Forward:

Up:

Down:

Wall-Hit-

Climb ladder-

Ride down ladder-

Crawl-
Swim-

Drown-

G&W Ball-

Super Spicy Curry-

Electric Hit-

Up Taunt-

Side Taunt-

Down Taunt-

Win-

Lose/clap-
These go flying off screen in a random direction.
Revival Platform-

Preview -

Damage-

Selection Box-

Icon-

Trophies-
Classic-

Adventure-

All Star-

FS-

Attacks and Sound Effects
Win Theme 5-11

Kirby Hat-Fighter

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Reserved for later use

Make Some Fan Art, I'll Post It HERE!!!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I hope Sukapon doesn't become popular, because this will be so depressing to see this on the first page every day.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Check this out. Someone made some models of Sukapon characters

Edit: It was apparently Nintendo employees showing off a Japan only game "Mario Artist"

I hope Sukapon doesn't become popular, because this will be so depressing to see this on the first page every day.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I think Oasis just likes to be an ******* about everything that can ever possibly exist, I've figured out.

I legitimately support Sukapon, not even as a "wtf" character. Joy Mech Fight is a fun little game and Nintendo's first real fighting game.

That game looks a lot like Graffiti Kingdom.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Oasis just likes to be an ******* about everything that can ever possibly exist, I've figured out.

I legitimately support Sukapon, not even as a "wtf" character. Joy Mech Fight is a fun little game and Nintendo's first real fighting game.

That game looks a lot like Graffiti Kingdom.
Oasis was one of the greatest supporters of Sukapon, actually. That image I posted of Sukapon for Brawl was made by him

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The idea of this thread popping up every day is DEPRESSING because it's a reminder of a character I would love to be in Smash, but I know will not happen. Tracked down the times Sakurai mentioned him even, just to see for myself what he said about him. NOT ONLY did he say not to expect him in the future, which is the line many people knew, but he gave his reasons too. Basically amounted to being too obscure with little chance of revival. He even mentioned Fire Emblem as an example of a series that might be able to make it overseas, something that COULD catch on and become notable, AND LOOK WHAT HE DID IN MELEE.

I remember people even saying that "too obscure" wasn't an argument considering the oddball characters Sakurai loves to add, but clearly he takes more into account for his decisions than people think.

Hell, I even made this back in THEM DAYS:

Sorry to be such a DOWNER on the first page, Psycho. Might kill off all your potential supporters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would still like to see Sukapon in Smash, even though I know his chances are pretty poor. There aren't many characters Sakurai straight up says won't happen. :ohwell::(

I used to support Sukapon more than I do now, even though I'd still be as happy as ever if he was included. I guess Sakurai's statements about him finally sank in with me, although Sukapon in general seems to not be as popular anymore.

It's a shame he'll probably never get into Smash, playing Joy Mech Fight further proves how well he would work, with his rolling attack, his head launch, and that weird head-projectile thing. Plus Sukapon has some epic throws. I'd also really like to have a limbless fighter in Smash, I think it would be very interesting to see and play as one, as well as offer unique moveset possibilities. Rayman is ok, but honestly I'd rather play as Sukapon.

Anyway, nowadays Sukapon is one of the last characters I expect in Smash, but one of the ones I would be happiest about getting, as well as most surprised.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He doesn't think it'd be possible with his "Broken Hit Box" thing. But it's not like Sakurai is against Sukapon.

I believe it could happen. Awkward, he might end up...It'd still be awesome

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He doesn't think it'd be possible with his "Broken Hit Box" thing. But it's not like Sakurai is against Sukapon.

I believe it could happen. Awkward, he might end up...It'd still be awesome
No, stop saying that. Sakurai never said that. It was assumption. That was only perpetuated by people that don't understand how models/animations/hitboxes work. Sukapon's limblessness would present no problems.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, stop saying that. Sakurai never said that. It was assumption. That was only perpetuated by people that don't understand how models/animations/hitboxes work. Sukapon's limblessness would present no problems.
Oh, ok than. What was the said reason he couldn't work?

And I realize how the models work, I just assumed Sakurai still thought it would be too awkward

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Wait a minute... Sukapon's a robot!?! He looks like a jelly version of Rayman. Speaking of which with Ubisofts increased involvement with Nintendo maybe Rayman might get a shot. After researching Sukapon a bit I think He definitely deserves some recognition. Its just that his design is lazier than Kirby's and he doesn't have that much of a history.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait a minute... Sukapon's a robot!?! He looks like a jelly version of Rayman. Speaking of which with Ubisofts increased involvement with Nintendo maybe Rayman might get a shot. After researching Sukapon a bit I think He definitely deserves some recognition. Its just that his design is lazier than Kirby's and he doesn't have that much of a history.
It's not a lazy design. It was more or less innovating. Because of his design, Mech Joy Fight was able to have an extremely large roster of fighters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Didn't it have the largest fighting game roster for like 5 years? Lol. ON THE FREAKING NES.

And I said it was basically Sukapon being too obscure with little chance of his series being revived.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That "Laziness" allowed the game to have some of the most subtle and fluid animations in fighting games even still today. It's up there with Skullgirls for individual frames, since all the body parts could animate freely without having to draw a new sprite every frame.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Didn't it have the largest fighting game roster for like 5 years? Lol. ON THE FREAKING NES.

And I said it was basically Sukapon being too obscure with little chance of his series being revived.
I thought Sakurai simply said "don't expect him in future games" like he is cautioning us to not anticipate Sukapon only to be disappointed that he isn't playable.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
It's not a lazy design. It was more or less innovating. Because of his design, Mech Joy Fight was able to have an extremely large roster of fighters.
The other robots look really cool though and actually look like...well...robots.
Still Sukapon just seems such a perfect fit for smash bros.
The only flaw with him though is that whenever he walks he spins like a ballerina.
Whatsup with dat!?!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would love to see a super fight robot fight between him and Mega Man. This shall judge who is the most original creation and best fighter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He's a comedy robot who speaks with a Kansai dialect. If you were expecting a serious character I'm not sure why.
Fair enough. Though, I wonder why Sakurai said not to expect him? I'm betting that it was because of hitbox issues.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Fair enough. Though, I wonder why Sakurai said not to expect him? I'm betting that it was because of hitbox issues.
Like Oasis said, it's not.

Maybe Sakurai just feels he's too obscure, being a Japanese only character and only during the end of the NES era.

Sakurai, hear our plea! We don't care how obscure the characer is. We'll love them all the same.

I can attest to not knowing who Ness was when Smash 64 came out. I was expecting to unlock the Lock Ness Monster (LOL, the Lock Ness Monster IS in Earthbound)

---

Also, for fans of Sukapon or Joy Mech Fight, if you've played it or just interested in the character, one thing I'd really like is fan art from people to put in the OP

Calling anyone creative. Fan art would be a wonderful thing to put in the OP. I should start making my own as well.

The fan art thing was originally primarily for my Geno thread, but spreading the love here seems like a good thing to do

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Like Oasis said, it's not.
I can attest to not knowing who Ness was when Smash 64 came out. I was expecting to unlock the Lock Ness Monster (LOL, the Lock Ness Monster IS in Earthbound)
I was expecting Toad from the silhouette given during his challenger approaching screen and in the opening.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would love for him to be in. He'd be such a cool character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Hex created this A LONG time ago. Forgot about it. Suggestion for Sukapon icon

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Man, if only flip troopa and the others were here. We've had good times in the old threads :(

D

Deleted member

Sukapon would be a totally awesome addition to have. He would be a great fit for Smash and seems made for it.

Sadly, he's one of those "impossible" characters that Sakurai ruled out. It's rather disappointing that Sakurai thinks so unfavorably of him.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's probably not so much that Sakurai doesn't like him, it's just he doesn't feel he's UP TO SNUFF to be a playable character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I SUPPORT SUKAPON

BEST RETRO OPTION

SCREW PALUTENA AND MACH RIDER

and balloon fighter and the countless others
I'm starting to wish that SSB Memories rumor was true. So many good retro candidates, so little space...

Also, I wouldn't exactly call Palutena retro.

D

Deleted member

I honestly would not be surprised if Sukapon was a reason why Sakurai is trying to limit focus on Japanese-only characters. It's mainly for this reason why I feel as Lip missed her boat for this game (I do not consider Takamaru to be Japan-only).

@Oasis_S: Given his obscurity, you're definitely right about that. He'd be awesome to have, but there really isn't a reason for Sakurai to add him in over Takamaru or Mach Rider.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I honestly would not be surprised if Sukapon was a reason why Sakurai is trying to limit focus on Japanese-only characters. It's mainly for this reason why I feel as Lip missed her boat for this game (I do not consider Takamaru to be Japan-only).

@Oasis_S: Given his obscurity, you're definitely right about that. He'd be awesome to have, but there really isn't a reason for Sakurai to add him in over Takamaru or Mach Rider.
The reason is because he's awesome

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Sorry to bump and make Oasis depressed, but I am of the opinion that Sukapon should get in. Joy Mech Fight was the certainly not the first fighter for the NES, but it entertained the largest roster of characters in a fighting game for a long time, and it was positively received. When were Sakurai's comments made? Before Brawl? He could easily change his stance after so many years, especially if he's looking into bringing in more retro characters. I mean, what better retro character is there to put in than the only 1st-/2nd- party character that actually came from a fighting game?

Oh, and I find that the fact that you linked the SSF2 expansion forums with Sukapon to be epic. You should spoiler it on the first page, though, because it takes up a lot of space, but are you aware that the same guy started Skapokon and finished Giant as well?

Top Bottom