• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's because his reaction time is unreal and reads people constantly, that's all there is to it. =) And yes you can read that fast even though it seems impossible.. I know I can do it as well to some degree. It comes with immense experience and wisdom.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Thanks for the advice Tekk!

Game 1:

:05- I would never roll in there, i think get up in place or roll away would have got you out guarenteed, you are lucky he wasn't ready to grab you
:15- this is a bad spot to pound in, i think i would wait until i knew some of my opponents habits before assuming he would go right at me, since he already seems to stop and laser a lot
:20- Again the pound is not a good choice against this fox, he isn't aggresive enough
:29- Bad spacing on the fair, try to hit the top of fox's head and then weave out
:32- Lol, you just did what i said you should have done, you are good at spacing those full hop nairs
:34- Fsmash isn't really worth it when fox is at 36 percent imo, again, it just seems like you practice against a really aggressive fox so you keep predicting he will come strait at you, but this fox is playing hella safe, hes just waiting for you to do something laggy so he can punish
1:00- I dunno what you were doing, i would have went out there, but i guess you were predicting phantasm high? Even if that was the case, you could cover more options if you were not on the platform
1:53- I don't know why you turned around, but i would have tried to pivot grab instead of a nair, you are down a stock and this was a good chance to get a grab before he racked up too much damage
1:58- Work on falling upair spacing
2:21- I know you didn't want to rest and trade, but you should have just kept upairing, you could have got like 4
2:40- DONT DO THAT POUND!!! oh god ive died to that so many times, i know its tempting but it won't hit good opponents
2:45- That's the second time hes gone for sweetspot phantasm, if you play him in the future, remember he likes that recovery, or mabye hes reacting to you im not sure, i think you need to go off more to pressure him, i think you would get a lot of gimps that way
(lol, your full hop nair spacing is godly)
3:49- you're so lucky you play pal
3:58- Thats the second time you've predicted like waveland on the platform/jump on, but he used attackon and getup on the last 2 times i remembered so space a backair to cover both of those and after a hundred instead of predicting right away just empty hop to bait a response and then u can react to that slow get on animation
4:01- Stop landing in front of him and sheilding, that would only be good if he upsmashes a lot or something, but the last couple times i think he just kept shielding because he was scared, instead land and grab him immediately
4:02- When he jumped you had your chance to wd oos or roll, don't just let your shield wear down or he will upsmash you like he did
4:19- You had plently of time to see that nair was bad and weave out
4:24- Bad nair, you should have either just baired or naired through to grab or uptilt or something
4:30- You need to stop approaching with pound, i know it is high reward, but it will rarely and if you approach with it, i think mango said a while ago that you never approach with it, you just predict when the are coming in and use it sparingly... so you know, if mango said it its true.
4:37- Lol, stop pounding, just don't use it for like 10 games the next time you play a fox in friendlies, you will notice your game will improve a lot
4:42- Wavelands look sexy, but they aren't as good as picking tech in place to rest and then covering tech away with a bair that will likely send him offstage, also i don't know why you didn't fthrow, im guessing mistake?
4:50- Again you linger in sheild and then are forced to roll, instead just wd oos when you see him full hop or upsmash oos or mabye upair
5:20- Third time hes sweetspot phantasmed
5:45- Lol, don't be flashy just edgeguard
5:50- That was the right idea but you jumped too far out, i don't think you would have hit the airdodge anyway, but you could have been in a position to pressure when he landed, and you would still cover the same recovery options
6:00- Thats why i go up in the air when fox has invul, if you stay on the ground he has an easy grab/upsmash mixup
6:10- Should of just thrown right away, but im guessing you were just nervous, again, no need to waveland platforms, if you had covered tech in place with rest like i said you would have won
6:16- You keep landing and doing nothing like that, try uptilting since he seems to jump right away in response to what you are doing
(You need to do more short hop bair)
6:30- How was that better than just bairing? its better than nair there in everyway
6:32- pound.
6:35- So this is a good example of a general problem. Jiggs has certain spacings where she has the advantage. For example, when she is below fox and when she is completely horizontal and at bair spacing. The spacing you are at in 6:35 if you pause is terrible for puff, thats where fox wants to be because he can full hop nair and **** all of your ****. Think about spacing in this way more and avoid these kind of spots. In this example, you could have fell through the platform instead of going at fox, and you would then be in a favorable position.
6:37- This has happened several times, you wd oos but you do a short wavedash so you still get hit, you need to do a full length wavedash and sometimes jump or dash after the wavedash to escape.
6:40- Lol, the fox you are playing is good, but he is letting you get away with being extremely slow... walk into sheild will get punished HARD by fast foxes
6:43- Work on falling upair spacing
6:44- I think you had time to jump out or at least tech, you put yourself in a really bad position by letting yourself land on that platform without teching, he could have just reacted and upaired and ended it
6:48- See you didn't get punished, but look at how short your wavedash is

If you really want i can watch all of the games and do this, but i might get carpal tunnel and have to quit melee lol

The reason i stopped is because i figure this is enough for you to work on, a few changes alone would allow you to beat him easily imo. Just work on thinking about advantageous spacing, bair instead of nair more when you shorthop, don't pound as much, work on uptilting after landing, upair spacing, and just work on doing everything faster.

Watching Mango replays are so orgasmic and frustrating at the same time. I try playing like him and wind up getting owned. He always knows when to up tilt and hits almost every aerial. Sigh :( Guess imma go play some more puff :). Seriously though how does he make it look so easy?
It's because he is one of the handful of people that pays attention to his opponents habits that well. He knows when to uptilt because he knows when they are going to drop their shield and where to space the aerials so they get hit.

I think i am getting to the point where i can devote most of my attention to what my opponent is doing, but i'm not quite there yet.

The main thing that stops you at first is tech skill, your tech skill has to be perfect for obvious reasons.

If there is ever something you mess up (i.e. a rising pound), practice it in training mode until you get it 10/10 times

Next you need to go out there in play because most of your skill will come from experience, you need to know how long all the moves last, what their range is, what their priority is, etc., so play as much as you can and get used to how all your moves work.

Then you need to think about situations and what the best thing to do in that situation is, videos really help here, since you can ask the puff boards, but also its much easier to think about a situation when you aren't in it lol, you can take a lot of time to see why you got hit and what you could have done to avoid that.

After you get ALL of that down solid, you can start really focusing on your opponent's habits, and since they are bogged down with thinking about all the above stuff, they will be predictable and you can rest their rolls... or something like that.

Trust me, it's not easy, it looks easy because since hes so efficient, he does like 3 moves and they all hit perfectly and he kills them, but there is actually a lot of stuff going on in his head, or maybe in his subconscious, while hes just thinking about getting drunk... idk.

Well a mango fanboy would say "he just *****", but I honestly can't find anything else to answer that question lol.
he just win spams, and then he ***** them.

idea

Smash Master
i just realized that i don't know how to put into words the way i techchase spacies. but it seems to work really well, so maybe i should do that...i think basically you just watch out for getup attack and everything else you can react to...

(i dunno what this post is...i guess it's just a "note to self")

mahone: same thing as tekk pretty much. you missed a bunch of edgeguards and a few chances to rest. also it looked like you could have DIed some stuff harder away than you were.

G

genkaku

I usually anticipate techrolls really well, but I'm not exactly sure how. I just kinda' know which way they're going to roll. I can't predict tecs in place that well, though, I have to cover that manually.
When I don't bait it with spacing, I think I might be reading DI?

G

genkaku

haha, obvious as in "good players don't do this, whoever you're playing sucks"?

idea

Smash Master
nahh, i didn't mean it that way. good players do obvious things too, they just try to wait until it's not obvious that they would do something so obvious. ;)

a lot of people do stupid things when they're scared anyway.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
doing the obvious thing is really great if your opponent is used to you not doing the obvious thing. It's also really great to know what the obvious thing is, because if your opponent does the obvious thing in a couple situations he's likely to keep doing it.
For example, if I notice my opponent always techs the same way he's DIing, I can pin him as a subpar player and make a bunch of predictions right off the bat: if he's playing a spacie he's going to up-b to the edge whenever he can, if he's playing falco he's almost always going to LHDL, if he's marth he's going to fair out of combos prematurely and i can bait that and keep punishing, etc. im exaggerating here but you get the idea.

But so if you do a lot of tricky stuff and then also tech the same way you're DIing, it will be harder for people to catch on - it makes it much harder to lump you into a category with a lot of other players. So basically do the obvious thing enough to throw people off, and watch out for other players who are super obvious.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, that's important too. stereotype people. "safe" players will make "safe" decisions 9 times out of 10...but nothing is safe if you see it coming.

likewise, aggressive players are vulnerable to you spacing moves in the area they will have to pass through to attack you.
or, well, they generally lose to camping, if you want to go to that extreme.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
THinking of one thing that has with framedata to do.

Imagine a Falcon on the top of BF's platform, going for stomp.
Do get hit by it so you can meteorcancel>jump rest it in the lcanceled landlag, is this a guarantied punish or just sloppy play by the CF. Would be very interested to hear frame data on this since it feels useful.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
that would **** so hard if you could do it.

ive never seen the specifics of how meteor cancelling works so i cant tell you if it's possible. i can tell you that it's definitely not viable though :p

Mahone

Smash Champion
THinking of one thing that has with framedata to do.

Imagine a Falcon on the top of BF's platform, going for stomp.
Do get hit by it so you can meteorcancel>jump rest it in the lcanceled landlag, is this a guarantied punish or just sloppy play by the CF. Would be very interested to hear frame data on this since it feels useful.
OH MY GOD.... puff-falcon 90-10 lol

Actually i don't know, thats a really interesting question.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yeah it sounds like pretty true but magus magus420 doesn't get online/namecheck anymore so we may never know.

idea

Smash Master
you know what's great though

if you know how to put on pressure with jiggs, and you wait for the right moment, that **** is horrifying for them. like when you can get away with raining aerials on their shield and just chasing them all over the place. it's so fun.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Just the way she plays. You can rest her out of crouch for most of her moves, plus she can be utilt/uair rested as easily as a Marth

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Hold down. If sheik jabs, ftilts, grabs, dash grabs or dairs, you can usually rest her.

You can make sheik players piss their pants by standing on front of their shield and holding down

idea

Smash Master
lol, i forget who it was, but last weekend i dthrew a sheik, he DI'd it toward me, and i jumped up and rested him...and he was like "what?"...it's audible on youtube =P

that combos by the way.

edit: oh wait, i remember, it was ganonpwn from montreal.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
lol, i forget who it was, but last weekend i dthrew a sheik, he DI'd it toward me, and i jumped up and rested him...and he was like "what?"...it's audible on youtube =P

that combos by the way.
Yep, and it both guaranties edgeguard by the edge (not sure exacly how to place the moves after depending on DI) and techchased rests on platforms.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
So today I learned that Sing grabs edges both ways. Immediately, I tried run-off Singing.

The timing seemed a bit strict, but learn-able. Does anyone use this already?

Tamoo

Smash Master
For me, it's too hard to do consistently enough to be viable, although there may be those that can make it work.

Recent set between me and Fuzzyness. For some reason, whenever we play, we get such good quality combos/commentary/fail compared to all other UK sets. I've kinda stopped playing smash which is why I was overwhelmingly rusty in this set, but was pretty damn funny with professor pro's commentary :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkiY7XaNgvg&feature=channel_video_title

idea

Smash Master
lol tamoo, i already saw most of the videos from that tournament...commentary was pretty funny. guess i'll rewatch that later.

there was a good tourney in ottawa last weekend, but nothing of mine really got recorded =( just some of my + sauc3's teams matches. there are still a bunch of good videos up, though. it was the first time toronto and montreal had played in tourney in like over a year.

run off sing is only a little bit useful, but very easy to screw up. and screwing it up sometimes kills you. so...no one really does it. it's nice to be able to do consistently but it's just so...unnecessary.

it's easier to do on yoshi's, due to the sloped edges.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
so... i counterpicked a falco to brinstar today, went jiggs, and won my set. pocket puff ftw

idea

Smash Master
ganon's kind of annoying.

don't let him bait you, that's a lot of what ganon does. "hey look, you can hit me, you should jump in here" *NOPE FAIR*

bair a lot. like, more than usual...fair and nair trade with him so often. and you do NOT want to trade hits with ganon.

G

genkaku

I keep getting hit by ganon's bair. I think I'm supposed to wait it out, but I just... really want to hit him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom