• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekk

Smash Lord
I love playing vs Sheik, but maybe it's because I don't have to fear her grab like hell lol.
Marth and Fox are the two chars that annoy me the most atm.

earla

Smash Lord
ok. thought about this. do you guys have any personal rules for when to and when to NOT go for rests?

1. mid % on last stock, going for a rest is DANGEROUS. only if big confidence in a read/combo.
2. if the opponent can kill you in one hit off their next stock, DONT REST. (they can di to die off the side so they come back faster and hit you)
3. against certain characters, be more daring with rests as they can't punish us as hard. which characters should you be more careful with going for rests?

if someone could please help me develop a good understanding that would be much appreciated.

idea

Smash Master
1. if it will miss
2. if i can kill them without it
3. if i'm scared =(

if i'm up a stock against fox, and we're both at mid-high percent, and i upthrow, i will almost always rest him.

be careful against: fox, doc, mario to a lesser extent. marth sort of. anyone if you're on a top platform on non-dreamland. ...jigglypuff.

and a few low tiers...pikachu, roy, luigi, probably others.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
1. mid % on last stock, going for a rest is DANGEROUS. only if big confidence in a read/combo.
2. if the opponent can kill you in one hit off their next stock, DONT REST. (they can di to die off the side so they come back faster and hit you)
3. against certain characters, be more daring with rests as they can't punish us as hard. which characters should you be more careful with going for rests?
1. well no ****, everyone can figure that out.
2. not always true, if you're up by a stock then a lot of time it is worth it to trade stocks.
3. peach, and some of the low tiers, are the only ones where you are able to be more risky with rests. like idea said, fox, doc (**** that guy), marth sort of, are the ones you want to be really careful against.

idea

Smash Master
peach is a unique case, cause she can technically punish rest pretty well, it's just not common for peach players to actually do it consistently. so you should probably just try to rest her and see what she does afterward. (also her good punish doesn't work as well if she has to die and come back first)

specifically, turnip into sweetspot upsmash.

idea

Smash Master
yeah exactly. but it DOES work. it just...probably won't.

edit: i forgot to mention falcon. falcon has really good rest punishes, but at the same time it's really easy to rest combo him with upward moves. with him i would just say, stick to really safe rests, and don't be hesitant with those ones. (basically uptilt or upair)

Beat!

Smash Master
Isn't it possible to DI out of hit when hit by the turnip, resulting in a weak upsmash?

I mean, otherwise it's a pretty **** punish.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
basically you should rest whenever you have a rest setup and you're behind. unless you also have an option to take their stock that doesn't result in you losing your next one.

if you're at 100% and fox is at 30%, go ahead and rest. sure, it's a stock trade, but 1 stock 0% each (and you have invuln for 2 seconds) is a lot better than 2 stocks when you're behind 70%.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have to admit that any Ganon matchups on the opposite side does not get talked about often.. since I guess there's barely any Ganons to worry about. Scrub Ganons get ***** pretty quickly lol.

Well if you want to beat me then you have to get inside Ganon's laggy moves and counter-attack.. I think thats the main strat. Get inside and then setup that rest however you guys do it lol. Or put Ganon off-stage asap.. what the hell can he do off-stage? NOTHING.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Don't wait for him to come back to ledgeguard him. If ganon gets knocked off, go for the offstage gimp.

Try really hard not to get warlock punched >_>

G

genkaku

So I used the organic pillar things on Brinstar to extend the hitbox of Rest, kinda' like you can use shyguys to extend the knee.
How exactly does that work?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
When you hit something, there are hitstop frames, right? Not hitstun, but the frames where both your characters stop moving to kinda give the animation a little "oomph." The frames you SDI in. So, for the duration of those hitstop frames, a given attack's hitbox stays out. So even though rest is only active for, what, 1 frame? if you rest one of those tendon-lookin things, rest is now active for much longer. So if the opponent runs into that range for any of those frames, he gets hit.

So it's not that the attack got "bigger," but it stays out for much longer, making it much more likely that an opponent will move into it.

Massive

Smash Champion
When you hit something, there are hitstop frames, right? Not hitstun, but the frames where both your characters stop moving to kinda give the animation a little "oomph." The frames you SDI in. So, for the duration of those hitstop frames, a given attack's hitbox stays out. So even though rest is only active for, what, 1 frame? if you rest one of those tendon-lookin things, rest is now active for much longer. So if the opponent runs into that range for any of those frames, he gets hit.

So it's not that the attack got "bigger," but it stays out for much longer, making it much more likely that an opponent will move into it.
Does this principle mean that shyguys could be used to extend the duration of a rest hitbox as well?
If so it has never, ever happened to me.

Shyguys seem to ruin everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom