• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Wow fully upgraded Ultras with frenzy do 112 to buildings, 61 to armored, and 30 to regular.. Normal attack speed when its not attacking structures, thats crazy

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The beta is like completely dead for me. Patch 13 is fail.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
^what buzz said. I just started the Beta yesterday from a friend's account (first time ever playing anything starcraft ever, or really anything RTS ever), it took me like 12 tries to connect to one of the beginner-friendly games and I DCd 5 minutes into it.

Jane

Smash Hero
WHAT THE FUUUUUUU...

they went from looking like crazy awesome silence of the lambs psychopath, to stupid fat guy...

D:<

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
LOL

I'm only 14 and have been playing fighting games for the past 1 and a half years.

I was able to get in my first game against a very easy Terran A.I. (as Protoss)...and it was surprisingly very easy, like I didn't think I'd be able to keep up because I have no experience in this game or genre, but the thing honestly took no thinking lol. I pretty much just spammed carriers, stalkers, sentries, and a mothership, went to their base and GG.

Have yet to play against a human because of Patch 13.

...i'm really bad at this game

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
(Hey, not my fault! That catterpiller kept firing scarabs at me :mad:)

shanus

Smash Hero
i hate the rampant dc's going on with patch 13.....

Diamond leage and like 2/3 losses came from just random screen pause to dc.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I couldn't even get logged in last night without a dozen error windows.

Frown

poekmon
You know what, I think they should just close down the beta, fix the problems and get it running a few days earlier when phase 2 begins. This is just silly.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I played my first 3 matches against other players today (really first couple matches in general) and I have a few questions:

1) Are there any crucial hotkeys that I need to know as a beginner to SC2? There's not really a tutorial, so other than the obvious keys to spawn/build things, being able to use the minimap to scroll and move units, using CTRL+click to select all units of a certain type, and setting a rally point for units after they spawn from whatever, I don't know any shortcuts.

2) Protoss question: Suppose I have warp gates close to my main base, but have pylons near the opponent's main base or just anywhere else on the map. How do I quickly warp in units to those places? I tried using the minimap but it wouldn't let me, so I had to click the warp gate, scroll to the right to the pylons I wanted to place them at, click on the minimap where the warp gate was, and repeat. It didn't seem that efficient.

Frown

poekmon
1. All hotkeys can be found in the unit descriptions. Just move the cursor above the icon and the letter that the hotkey belongs to will be highlighted.

2. If you select all warp gates and hold down shift, you can place as many units as you have ready.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Sorry, I didn't mean hotkeys, I meant shortcuts like the CTRL + Click to select all units of a certain type — things like that.

Thank you for the warp gate advice though.

DCLXVI

Smash Apprentice
1. All hotkeys can be found in the unit descriptions. Just move the cursor above the icon and the letter that the hotkey belongs to will be highlighted.

2. If you select all warp gates and hold down shift, you can place as many units as you have ready.
or you can just hit "W" to select all warp gates and then spam "zzsssssee" or whatever you want to build...
next to your pylon of course

MT_

Smash Ace
Does anyone else hotkey their warpgates to a control group instead of using W as an old habit?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
man i suck at this game

why does everyone play terran?
this was exactly what I was about to ask.

preface: I can only play on my friend's beta account, he doesn't play the game much more but it's inconvenient because I still have to call him for an authenticator, so I don't get on much.

Today I was able to get on and I finished my league qualifier matches or whatever, was put into the bronze league (woo noob status), and played I think 7 or 8 matches. Everybody was Terran. EVERYBODY. 11-12 matches of PvT. I don't understand the match-up...well, not like I understand PvZ well, but I watch it more, it's more comfortable, and it's just more fun. One of them had like all their units cloaked or something (can you hit them when they're cloaked? I wasn't able to and I felt dumb). Another time, we both early rushed each other and ended up having no option but to destroy each other's bases, but he won (I couldn't hit the cloaked whatever aerial units with my Void Rays @_@).

but OMFG i'm so tired of terran.

I'm also pretty bad lol. I think I won 3-4 out of the however many games I played, but one of them the guy just left so it doesn't count.

Quick question: how do I select between units during a battle? My micro game is horrible (not like my macro's much better) and I don't know how to do things like switch to my sentries to force field other than clicking on them during the battle, which seems very inefficient. I've heard of people mapping some hotkeys to 1, 2, and 3 to select different types of units...but I'm not exactly sure what they're doing and how to do that.

/end rambling

Jane

Smash Hero
to attack cloaked units you need a detector unit to spot it for you, then all your units can attack it. in protoss' case it would be either an observer or a photon cannon

to group units together with hotkeys, select the units you want then press CTRL+1 or any other number, all the way to zero

DCLXVI

Smash Apprentice
I think that many new players play terran just because you can reaper/banshee rush every time and float away your buildings if you fail to anger your opponent.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Quick question: how do I select between units during a battle? My micro game is horrible (not like my macro's much better) and I don't know how to do things like switch to my sentries to force field other than clicking on them during the battle, which seems very inefficient. I've heard of people mapping some hotkeys to 1, 2, and 3 to select different types of units...but I'm not exactly sure what they're doing and how to do that.
You can put them in control groups like Jane said. Alternately, if you have a bunch of units selected and want to use the special ability of a specific type, press tab to cycle which abilities are shown.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i wish there was a way to prioritize the units in your control group. like if you had a control group with ravens, ghosts and siege tanks and marine marauder, you could put siege tanks at the top of the group so if you quickly need to engage in battle you can siege first, then press tab for PDD, then tab for EMP.

i guess it's just another consequence of putting your whole army in one control group, oh well.

OR if they just made all the important unit hotkeys a different letter and let you use all of them without tabbing thru your army. PDD would still be D, emp would still be E, stim would still be T, etc. the only difference is you could just use the hotkey from the first unit in your control group instead of tabbing around to get the spell you want.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Won a really epic battle last night that ended with all gas and minerals on the map spent, and I somehow base-swapped with my opponent like three times while constant skirmishes ensued. It was a good match to end on, and I'm kind of glad the beta is ending. It has been devouring all my spare time.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
StarCraft 2 getting post-launch tournament patch

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/25/starcraft-2-getting-post-launch-tournament-patch/

Big Download, who confirmed with Blizzard that a post-launch patch will be implemented to address LAN tournaments.

"We will be addressing StarCraft 2 tournament functionality in a post launch patch to the game, soon after ship," a representative told Big Download. "This patch will include features to address the needs of location-based pro tournaments, but we have not discussed any specifics about tournament support beyond that."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eventually did get into the Beta

First played protoss and did great until I decided to try out other protoss' strategies

Played Zerg competitively after that

I like Terran's style though. I played around with them for fun

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Terran looks like fun, but I don't want to put in the effort of trying to learn a new class when I'm already bad with my main (Protoss).

I've been playing YABOT (yet another build order tester) for a few days since the beta's down, and it's really helpful. If you don't know about it, it lets you practice your opening build order on like 5-6 maps. It puts you against a computer for the first 10 minutes of the game (and it's not very easy AI lol, it's actually a good computer that has good timings).

Is there a guide for buttons or helpful keystrokes for macroing? Things like holding shift when you select your warp gates with W and warp in units so you don't have to keep selecting the unit hotkey. Specifically, is there a way to select, for example, the Nexus when your screen isn't on it to chronoboost something? Or select the gateway to make a unit without dragging your map over to the gateway and clicking on it?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The game isn't even really out yet...

Just pretend the Beta didn't really happen

There are going to be many changes between it and even a few months after release anyway

Top Bottom