• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Representation in Smash

Star Fox has always been an important series to Smash. Fox McCloud was one of the first four original characters programmed in the prototype that Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai made to pitch Smash 64. In every Smash iteration, the Star Fox series has generally seen an increase in the amount of references it contains -- whether it be through fighters, items, stages, music, trophies, or even stickers. With the newest release, Star Fox will surely continue to play an important role in both Nintendo and Smash's history.

In celebration of Star Fox Zero's release for the Wii U, SmashBoards regular @AlphaSSB wrote an article compiling all the ways Star Fox is represented in all the Smash games. The article was originally posted to Source Gaming and includes additional details. Below is a summary for every Smash installment.

Super Smash Bros.:
Total Characters: 1
Total Items: 0
Total Stages: 1
Total Music Tracks: 1
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64)

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
Total Characters: 2
Total Items: 0
Total Stages: 2
Total Music Tracks: 2
Total Trophies: 14
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

Total Characters: 3
Total Assist Trophies: 1
Total Items: 1
Total Stages: 2
Total Music Tracks: 12
Total Trophies: 23
Total Stickers: 32
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Star Fox: Assault (GCN), Star Fox Command (DS)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS:

Total Characters: 2
Total Assist Trophies: 1
Total Items: 1
Total Stages: 1 (3DS), 2 (Wii U)
Total Music Tracks: 3 (3DS), 14 (Wii U) [3 Shared]
Total Trophies: 21 (3DS), 25 (Wii U) [14 Shared]
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Star Fox: Assault (GCN), Star Fox Command (DS), Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)

Check out the full article for additional information, including which music tracks are in each game and a list of trophies.

Do you think that Star Fox is well represented in the Smash series? Let us know in the comments below!

PushDustIn can do a barrel roll! Follow his adventures on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Man, I see so much salt about the Fire Emblem series in here. Honestly, I don't really care too much, so long as the characters are different. Looking at Lucina and Dark Pit, who could have been drastically different fighters than just clones. Regardless, the only reason Smash has so Fire Emblem characters is because, unlike most Nintendo franchises, there's almost always a different lead character. You could still add about 5 or so, each with different fighting styles. Of course, that's a little ridiculous until more fighters are added, but point still stands.

Also, why not we all just quit arguing and go play the darn game?
No, the only reason Fire Emblem has so many characters in this ssb game is because of Sakurai's bias and favoritism for it. Same reason why Ryu and Cloud were added because he's a fan of their games as well.

No, the only reason Fire Emblem has so many characters in this ssb game is because of Sakurai's bias and favoritism for it. Same reason why Ryu and Cloud were added because he's a fan of their games as well.
Actually, not really. I don't ever recall a statement from Sakurai regarding being a fan of Ryu and Cloud's games to the point that he would add them just because of that. In fact, a better reason to why they were added is because they are iconic video game mascots that people would have loved to see in Smash one day.
Also, the part regarding FE is not entirely true though. How much bias is in effect to the point that it is "the only reason" can't be truly accounted for, because Roy was added due to being a popular request within fans and (allegedly) the development staff, while Corrin was added as advertisement for FE Fates which seems more like Nintendo's doing rather than by Sakurai's suggestion. Have those two weren't lucky enough, FE could have easily had only four characters, three if Lucina was never made her own fighter.

Last edited:
Man, I see so much salt about the Fire Emblem series in here. Honestly, I don't really care too much, so long as the characters are different. Looking at Lucina and Dark Pit, who could have been drastically different fighters than just clones. Regardless, the only reason Smash has so Fire Emblem characters is because, unlike most Nintendo franchises, there's almost always a different lead character. You could still add about 5 or so, each with different fighting styles. Of course, that's a little ridiculous until more fighters are added, but point still stands.

Also, why not we all just quit arguing and go play the darn game?
Because this is the internet. It's where people go to complain.

It's not Lucas that should be replaced by Wolf. It's that garbage clone Roy. I hate Roy, to be honest. He's probably my least favorite character in the game. The fact that they added him and not Wolf is atrocious.
Roy has a huge fanbase which was why he was brought back where as as Wolf's fanbase is pretty small compared to Roy's (plus Roy has the main protagonist thing going for him where as Wolf keeps getting rebooted), and Roy's not a clone anymore (now a semi-clone), his d-air is different (although copying Ike's D-air but with a sweespot in the middle of the blade's hilt) and has a similar Final Smash that acts different compared to Marth's and Lucina's, if anything Lucina shouldn't have been added as she's an exact copy of Marth without the tipper sweetspot (sans D-air).

Now that I think about it, I'm glad Wolf got axed as he's more minor and less important than Fox and Falco, as he only shows up like once or twice in a main story before fleeing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom