• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Representation in Smash

Star Fox has always been an important series to Smash. Fox McCloud was one of the first four original characters programmed in the prototype that Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai made to pitch Smash 64. In every Smash iteration, the Star Fox series has generally seen an increase in the amount of references it contains -- whether it be through fighters, items, stages, music, trophies, or even stickers. With the newest release, Star Fox will surely continue to play an important role in both Nintendo and Smash's history.

In celebration of Star Fox Zero's release for the Wii U, SmashBoards regular AlphaSSB AlphaSSB wrote an article compiling all the ways Star Fox is represented in all the Smash games. The article was originally posted to Source Gaming and includes additional details. Below is a summary for every Smash installment.

Super Smash Bros.:
Total Characters: 1
Total Items: 0
Total Stages: 1
Total Music Tracks: 1
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64)

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
Total Characters: 2
Total Items: 0
Total Stages: 2
Total Music Tracks: 2
Total Trophies: 14
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

Total Characters: 3
Total Assist Trophies: 1
Total Items: 1
Total Stages: 2
Total Music Tracks: 12
Total Trophies: 23
Total Stickers: 32
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Star Fox: Assault (GCN), Star Fox Command (DS)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS:

Total Characters: 2
Total Assist Trophies: 1
Total Items: 1
Total Stages: 1 (3DS), 2 (Wii U)
Total Music Tracks: 3 (3DS), 14 (Wii U) [3 Shared]
Total Trophies: 21 (3DS), 25 (Wii U) [14 Shared]
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Star Fox: Assault (GCN), Star Fox Command (DS), Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)

Check out the full article for additional information, including which music tracks are in each game and a list of trophies.

Do you think that Star Fox is well represented in the Smash series? Let us know in the comments below!

PushDustIn can do a barrel roll! Follow his adventures on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Yeah, it's definitely a shame that :wolf: didn't survive the transition to Smash 4. I'm not sure if we'll ever know the reason why, but I can't be too upset, even after everything that's happened. I'm still enjoying the game very much.

If there is a next Smash in the future, then maybe he'll get a second chance.

Yeah, it's definitely a shame that :wolf: didn't survive the transition to Smash 4. I'm not sure if we'll ever know the reason why, but I can't be too upset, even after everything that's happened. I'm still enjoying the game very much.

If there is a next Smash in the future, then maybe he'll get a second chance.
I honestly wish the game had more to offer than just multiplayer. If it had a better story mode than Subspace Emissary, I would not have been as annoyed with the roster choices. I loved the coming together of all the characters. I just felt that epic feeling was missing in this game.

I don't get the frustration about Lucas or Roy. People missed them as much as SF fans missed Wolf. The question which everyone should pose is: "Why wasn't Wolf included in the roster in addition to the rest?"

I'm just saying that if you're think Roy isn't relevant because he doesn't have a new game but also imply that other characters are relevant enough to be included even though their games are as old or older, that's pretty flawed logic.
I never really implied that characters like R.O.B. are relevant. All I was saying is that Wolf is more relevant than Roy, and therefore it would make more sense to include him. Honestly, it seems like Nintendo doesn't care much about relevance, though. If they did, we wouldn't have Duck Hunt Dog, Lucas (who you can't even play the game of in most of the world), R.O.B., etc.

Urgh, it still doesn't make any sense that they cut Wolf.
Hell, it's one of the pity of Smash4 besides the game not having a story mode cutscene, at least in my opinion.
On the contrary, it makes a lot of sense why they cut Wolf. He was a low priority character and one of Brawl's last additions with a model and moveset derived from Fox while borrowing some move animations from other fighters. Not saying that his absence is not a bummer but it is not without reason.

I don't understand why Wolf wasn't brought back. I'm not even an SF fan, but common sense would tell you that he'd be perfect for advertising SF: Zero. He's also a lot more interesting and unique than Super Saiyan Ness.
From a business standpoint, Wolf would have been no much better as advertisement for Star Fox Zero as it is. His role is merely that of an antagonist force that gets in the way of the Star Fox team in a couple of missions without having much overall impact throughout the story. If he was a driving force in the plot you would have a point, but it really isn't the case.
Also whether he is more interesting or unique than Lucas is just a subjective matter.

Last edited:
I never really implied that characters like R.O.B. are relevant. All I was saying is that Wolf is more relevant than Roy, and therefore it would make more sense to include him. Honestly, it seems like Nintendo doesn't care much about relevance, though. If they did, we wouldn't have Duck Hunt Dog, Lucas (who you can't even play the game of in most of the world), R.O.B., etc.
If we have to cut all the "irrelevant" characters the roster will have only ~20 characters...

Also, Roy wasn't irrelevant for all the Melee fans who wanted him back, so your argument isn't valid.

On the contrary, it makes a lot of sense why they cut Wolf. He was a low priority character and one of Brawl's last additions with a model and moveset derived from Fox while borrowing some move animations from other fighters. Not saying that his absence is not a bummer but it is not without reason.
That's what actually make him unique than other characters, and if you did not know, Sonic also had borrow some moves from other characters as well back in Brawl. I don't really think business standpoint really matters when it comes to bringing back veteran fighters, since other veterans such as Lucas and Roy aren't that notable as well outside Smash.
I am not like sad or disappoint that he didn't return, I just feel like this game has one piece of puzzle missing. No matter you are a Wolf fan, you have agree that veterans came back can make this game more consistent. It just always feel like of weird when there's a veteran got left out for no reason. Especially when he's not even a full clone.
I am sure people would rather have semi-clones (Ganondorf, Luigi) but not full clones (Dark Pit, Lucina)

That's what actually make him unique than other characters, and if you did not know, Sonic also had borrow some moves from other characters as well back in Brawl. I don't really think business standpoint really matters when it comes to bringing back veteran fighters, since other veterans such as Lucas and Roy aren't that notable as well outside Smash.
I am not like sad or disappoint that he didn't return, I just feel like this game has one piece of puzzle missing. No matter you are a Wolf fan, you have agree that veterans came back can make this game more consistent. It just always feel like of weird when there's a veteran got left out for no reason. Especially when he's not even a full clone.
I am sure people would rather have semi-clones (Ganondorf, Luigi) but not full clones (Dark Pit, Lucina)
Indeed, Sonic as well due to being a late addition, but Sonic is Sonic.
I always felt that Lucas and Roy's places where interchangeable with Wolf's. All of them low priority derivatives easy to replicate due to having a "parent" in the roster, it's just that Lucas and Roy got lucky while Wolf didn't. Those two were allegedly chosen by internal voting according to some rumors and because they were requested as well, with Wolf close on Lucas's heels. I just wouldn't say that it doesn't make sense because they prioritize diverse movesets over salvaging clone/semi-clone ones.

D
Bringing back all the other cut veterans except him didn't and still doesn't make any sense. It was a slap in the face for them to basically say that Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas fans mattered more to them than Wolf fans.

Wolf should have been in the game. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, Sonic as well due to being a late addition, but Sonic is Sonic.
So as Wolf can still be Wolf, even though Sonic us indeed more famous than Wolf.
Toon Link and Jigglypuff were also late added, but they are a totally different situation I know.
I just wouldn't say that it doesn't make sense because they prioritize diverse movesets over salvaging clone/semi-clone ones.
All in all, we might never know the true reason why Wolf was cut, until Sakurai comes and explain it to us. It's all his own decision afterall, if he want to Cloud, he can. If he want to put another FE character (Which I think its really both business wise plus Sakurai's bias towards the series). His choice and action will get always get many people mind boggling, which is why he is an awesome dude. But to me, no story mode cutscenes and no Wolf are the only two decision which I think Sakurai did wrong.

Last edited:
Bringing back all the other cut veterans except him didn't and still doesn't make any sense. It was a slap in the face for them to basically say that Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas fans mattered more to them than Wolf fans.

Wolf should have been in the game. Period.
No one said that fans of one character mattered more than others, in fact they do what's possible to bring back as many veterans as they can, and by the looks of the Smash 4 roster they mostly stood by their word. Dr. Mario was just an edited alt of Mario slapped together as a last minute, easy addition while Mewtwo has seen inmense support since his absence from Brawl all while having a completely original moveset which is a priority over semi clone characters. Wolf was just unlucky whereas Roy and Lucas weren't since they were also requested back as much, their places could have easily been switched out with Wolf but it just wasn't meant to.

Last edited:
I honestly wish the game had more to offer than just multiplayer. If it had a better story mode than Subspace Emissary, I would not have been as annoyed with the roster choices. I loved the coming together of all the characters. I just felt that epic feeling was missing in this game.
The solo modes aren't that much of a big deal to me (though I had fun with Adventure mode and Subspace)since I spend most of my time playing against others, but I can see why people like them so much considering what we have now.

Personally, I don't think Smash needs any type of story mode. As it was, Adventure Mode was a perfect solo mode for Smash because it was pretty simple and followed the philosophy of Smash; it was just your character against a gauntlet of other Nintendo fighters, enemies and worlds, with a final battle against the biggest bad in Smash. We need more of that. I think Nintendo has the right idea with Smash Run, but they need to go further with it, make it less of a minigame and more of a true solo gametype with some inspiration from Adventure Mode. Or just bring back Adventure Mode, that works too.

On the roster itself, it's pretty solid for the most part, just with a few out-of-left-field choices. Even though :wolf: isn't around, I'm not really complaining. I mean, how can I, when I've got the likes of :4megaman: in the ranks (who was my most wanted character ever in any of his forms)and a character I didn't realize I wanted (:4robinm:). I think it was a fair trade-off if not more so. That said, I still feel as if :wolf: was that one piece, the final link in the chain that would've put the roster over the top. Ah well, can't win them all.

No one said that fans of one character mattered more than others, in fact they do what's possible to bring back as many veterans as they can, and by the looks of the Smash 4 roster they mostly stood by their word.
But if we look at the DLC sides of things, I can guess they might have the chance to make Wolf, but still that's just my guess.
Dr. Mario was just an edited alt of Mario slapped together as a last minute, easy addition while Mewtwo has seen inmense support since his absence from Brawl all while having a completely original moveset which is a priority over semi clone characters.
But the fact that Mewtwo is not even a clone still can't make your assumption legit... maybe Mewtwo's absence is more longer than Wolf so they can bring Mewtwo back as DLC when it's development started right at the game's development. We might never know.
Dr.Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were confirmed to be as alt costumes for Mario, Pit, and Marth. Until Sakurai made them as a character. Me and probably most of people from Smash community were kind of pissed when we heard about this. To this day I'm fine with Lucina and Dark Pit since they are popular and represent both of the recent popular games of their own franchise (Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening), Dr.Mario I don't really see the point of making him as a character. Hell, he is even the same guy.
So will Wolf be in Smash5? Fingers crossed.
Wolf was just unlucky whereas Roy and Lucas weren't since they were also requested back as much, their places could have easily been switched out with Wolf but it just wasn't meant to.
This kind sums it up that it really doesn't make sense they don't include Wolf, and saying it's "unlucky" for him to not return sound kind of weird in my opinion. Since, again, we don't know the true reason.

Last edited:
Here's a fair trade: no new FE characters for Smash 5, and instead one new character each for Zelda/DK/Metroid/F-Zero, and two for Star Fox.

mario123007 mario123007

Regarding what I said about Mewtwo, honestly I was just trying to avoid being blunt about the subject. Mewtwo has by far a much more established popularity than Wolf to a point that it's not even comparable, and also one of the most beloved Pokemon characters of all. He was even planned in Brawl but sadly couldn't make it in. I can see why they would prioritize Mewtwo over others due to his status. So yeah, Wolf's absence makes sense when you look at the bigger picture.

Star Fox, DK, and Metroid all needed more representation in this game. What a big dissapointment it was to all 3 series.
To be fair, Star Fox has gotten new characters in all of the first three Smash Bros. games. Smash 4 is the only exception so I wouldn't say that the series has been mishandled at this point.
Fun fact: In actuality on the post-Brawl days, people were saying that Star Fox and Mother were overreped for having too many characters in proportion to their games and sales, and for outnumbering or equaling the number of characters from Metroid/DK.

Here's a fair trade: no new FE characters for Smash 5, and instead one new character each for Zelda/DK/Metroid/F-Zero, and two for Star Fox.
Not that I would complain if we get more characters that way but developers in Smash don't necessarily adhere to an urge of evening the character head count between series. It's more of "what interesting playstyle/moveset can I get out of this character?" instead. Developers should feel free to add fighters according to their artistic vision rather than, for example, feeling obligated to add one more Zelda character before considering anyone else in order to meet some kind of quota that is established by some fans.

Last edited:
mario123007 mario123007
Not that I would complain if we get more characters that way but developers in Smash don't necessarily adhere to an urge of evening the character head count between series. It's more of "what interesting playstyle/moveset can I get out of this character?" instead. Developers should feel free to add fighters according to their artistic vision rather than, for example, feeling obligated to add one more Zelda character before considering anyone else in order to meet some kind of quota that is established by some fans.
Two Marth clones. 'Nuff said.

And I never said that the roster needs to be evenly-repped at all. The problem is that Fire Emblem's representation is disproportionately generous compared to what other franchises have seen, especially when half its reps are cut from the same character cloth and when other franchises are more significant for multiple reasons yet don't see much love (e.g. Zelda).

Last edited:
It's a shame that Wolf did not make it to Sm4sh...but regardless, it's still an amazing game.

And I never said that the roster needs to be evenly-repped at all. The problem is that Fire Emblem's representation is disproportionately generous compared to what other franchises have seen, especially when half its reps are cut from the same character cloth and when other franchises are more significant for multiple reasons yet don't see much love (e.g. Zelda).
I agree that there are too many characters from FE, but the case for Lucina was merely that of a promoted alt made her own character at the last minute because it was convenient to do. The alternative wouldn't have been worse nor better, but from a technical standpoint since she shares the same moveset and stats as Marth sans tipper she may as well not count as her own. And I know Roy is there as well, but he saw enough demand to be readded to the roster, and at least got partially decloned.
I think a series as Zelda is fine roster wise with it's five characters since it incorporates the main cast of the series.

Last edited:
Cutting Wolf right before Star Fox Zero was one of the worst possible decisions.
Scratch that, not bringing Wolf back despite the outcry right before Star Fox Zero was one of the worst possible decisions.
Dude had nothing to do with star fox zero and even if it did it already had fox and falco have
Who was already a clone of fox. I mean you yelling at Sakurai for to many clones then you give him a chance to take a clone our and you yelling at him for that too. Besidespecially there wasn't that much"fan outcry" was there or he wouldv3 won the ballot

He is in smash already,:4rob:. :awesome:Direct-i is pretty much a smaller cuter ROB.

If Corrin wasn't a playable character, then I'd probably be OK with Roy, but now that he's in, Fire Emblem has more reps than ZELDA. They should have never added Corrin, after they added Roy. It should have been one or the other.
Look sorry to disappoint you but the roster was already established long before Corrin even came out what your saying makes no sense seriously guys the only one who wasn't made up was the ballot winner so I don't get what your trying to say here

Regarding what I said about Mewtwo, honestly I was just trying to avoid being blunt about the subject. Mewtwo has by far a much more established popularity than Wolf to a point that it's not even comparable, and also one of the most beloved Pokemon characters of all. He was even planned in Brawl but sadly couldn't make it in. I can see why they would prioritize Mewtwo over others due to his status. So yeah, Wolf's absence makes sense when you look at the bigger picture.
I'm not sure if we should compare Wolf's popularity to Mewtwo if it takes for him need to be that popular to return. It may sounds legit this time, but for fans and this game, Wolf should be returning, when he is also one of the few villain reps.

Last edited:

I think Zelda got more love than Fire Emblem did even though Fire Emblem has 6 characters and Zelda has 5 characters. What about Assist Trophies, items, and stages?

I second this. With all of the TLC Miyamoto gave him in Star Fox Zero, I could say that he's got a good chance to be in Smash 5. Plus he's the only SF character that I would main.
I'd be ok with him, he is an important and famous character of the series afterall.

Man, I see so much salt about the Fire Emblem series in here. Honestly, I don't really care too much, so long as the characters are different. Looking at Lucina and Dark Pit, who could have been drastically different fighters than just clones. Regardless, the only reason Smash has so Fire Emblem characters is because, unlike most Nintendo franchises, there's almost always a different lead character. You could still add about 5 or so, each with different fighting styles. Of course, that's a little ridiculous until more fighters are added, but point still stands.

Also, why not we all just quit arguing and go play the darn game?

Top Bottom