• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Representation in Smash

Star Fox has always been an important series to Smash. Fox McCloud was one of the first four original characters programmed in the prototype that Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai made to pitch Smash 64. In every Smash iteration, the Star Fox series has generally seen an increase in the amount of references it contains -- whether it be through fighters, items, stages, music, trophies, or even stickers. With the newest release, Star Fox will surely continue to play an important role in both Nintendo and Smash's history.

In celebration of Star Fox Zero's release for the Wii U, SmashBoards regular @AlphaSSB wrote an article compiling all the ways Star Fox is represented in all the Smash games. The article was originally posted to Source Gaming and includes additional details. Below is a summary for every Smash installment.

Super Smash Bros.:
Total Characters: 1
Total Items: 0
Total Stages: 1
Total Music Tracks: 1
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64)

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
Total Characters: 2
Total Items: 0
Total Stages: 2
Total Music Tracks: 2
Total Trophies: 14
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

Total Characters: 3
Total Assist Trophies: 1
Total Items: 1
Total Stages: 2
Total Music Tracks: 12
Total Trophies: 23
Total Stickers: 32
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Star Fox: Assault (GCN), Star Fox Command (DS)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS:

Total Characters: 2
Total Assist Trophies: 1
Total Items: 1
Total Stages: 1 (3DS), 2 (Wii U)
Total Music Tracks: 3 (3DS), 14 (Wii U) [3 Shared]
Total Trophies: 21 (3DS), 25 (Wii U) [14 Shared]
Referenced Titles: Star Fox (SNES), Star Fox 64 (N64), Star Fox Adventures (GCN), Star Fox: Assault (GCN), Star Fox Command (DS), Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)

Check out the full article for additional information, including which music tracks are in each game and a list of trophies.

Do you think that Star Fox is well represented in the Smash series? Let us know in the comments below!

PushDustIn can do a barrel roll! Follow his adventures on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Urgh, it still doesn't make any sense that they cut Wolf.
Hell, it's one of the pity of Smash4 besides the game not having a story mode cutscene, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
-over a year ago-

Smash Fans: "BRING BACK WOLF!!!"

Sakurai: -brings back Lucas instead- "Don't tell me how to make my game"

(I regret nothing :troll:)

Last edited:
Cutting Wolf right before Star Fox Zero was one of the worst possible decisions.
Scratch that, not bringing Wolf back despite the outcry right before Star Fox Zero was one of the worst possible decisions.

Last edited:
We're missing wolf and could add Krystal.
With a roster full of Mario and fire emblem character's, star fox could use more representation.

Very interesting article! The Star Fox series really is a staple of Super Smash Bros.!

I really wish Wolf could return to Smash... :(

Sakurai: "I can't let you do that Star Wolf!"

I don't understand why Wolf wasn't brought back. I'm not even an SF fan, but common sense would tell you that he'd be perfect for advertising SF: Zero. He's also a lot more interesting and unique than Super Saiyan Ness.

I don't understand why Wolf wasn't brought back. I'm not even an SF fan, but common sense would tell you that he'd be perfect for advertising SF: Zero. He's also a lot more interesting and unique than Super Saiyan Ness.
I agree wholeheartedly (but fans wanted Lucas back anyway as Sakurai felt Star Fox reps should have stayed as a 2 rep franchise rather than 3), or can I call Lucas Psycho Dash (he looks like Dash from the Incredibles a little bit).

There probably won't be a smash 5. I don't even want a smash 5. What would it add? 10 more characters? People just want it because they want a few more characters. I haven't heard any discussion on what any other aspects of a smash 5 could be, other than "Give us this character because i'm still upset from the smash ballot." I think 40+ characters is enough. Also i don't think that during the smash ballot, Star Fox Zero was in the point of development where nintendo could add wolf in as a means of advertising. It was too late by then- Star Fox Zero was revealed after the ballot results. Corrin, however, was revealed very close to FE Fates' launch. And besides, more people were crying about Mother 3 AS WELL as Lucas's omittance from Sm4sh so of course if lucas didn't get in there would be even more salt because of the people already complaining about mother 3 not being released in the US. And Krystal is very unlikely. Honestly, we should just try to do less speculating because it barely influences big game companies, and just causes people to get upset when what they want doesn't come to fruition (E3 in a nutshell). So I don't get the outcry about wolf being cut from the roster.

Bruh.. play Mother 3 before you talk about Lucas. Wolf is basically just Dark Fox, coming from someone who likes Wolf so don't be a hypocrite.

I agree wholeheartedly (but fans wanted Lucas back anyway as Sakurai felt Star Fox reps should have stayed as a 2 rep franchise rather than 3), or can I call Lucas Psycho Dash (he looks like Dash from the Incredibles a little bit).
It's not Lucas that should be replaced by Wolf. It's that garbage clone Roy. I hate Roy, to be honest. He's probably my least favorite character in the game. The fact that they added him and not Wolf is atrocious.

It's not Lucas that should be replaced by Wolf. It's that garbage clone Roy. I hate Roy, to be honest. He's probably my least favorite character in the game. The fact that they added him and not Wolf is atrocious.
Roy had a reason to come back though. People (such as myself) missed him dearly from Melee, and they changed him enough so that he wouldn't be a complete clone of Marth. I think that Corrin and Bayo shoulda been replaced by Isaac and Wolf, though; I don't know a single person who wanted either of those characters in Sm4sh very badly.

Roy came in Melee, Wolf in Brawl. Roy has the age advantage, and had as big of if not bigger fanbase than Wolf did.

Last edited:
Roy had a reason to come back though. People (such as myself) missed him dearly from Melee, and they changed him enough so that he wouldn't be a complete clone of Marth. I think that Corrin and Bayo shoulda been replaced by Isaac and Wolf, though; I don't know a single person who wanted either of those characters in Sm4sh very badly.
I agree for the most part. Corrin and Bayo made no sense. However, Roy is pretty much irrelevant whereas Wolf is appearing in a new game just this month. So from a business standpoint it would have made much more sense to add him.

Also, replace Isaac with King K. Rool and it would be perfect. ;)

There probably won't be a smash 5. I don't even want a smash 5. What would it add? 10 more characters? People just want it because they want a few more characters. I haven't heard any discussion on what any other aspects of a smash 5 could be, other than "Give us this character because i'm still upset from the smash ballot." I think 40+ characters is enough. Also i don't think that during the smash ballot, Star Fox Zero was in the point of development where nintendo could add wolf in as a means of advertising. It was too late by then- Star Fox Zero was revealed after the ballot results. Corrin, however, was revealed very close to FE Fates' launch. And besides, more people were crying about Mother 3 AS WELL as Lucas's omittance from Sm4sh so of course if lucas didn't get in there would be even more salt because of the people already complaining about mother 3 not being released in the US. And Krystal is very unlikely. Honestly, we should just try to do less speculating because it barely influences big game companies, and just causes people to get upset when what they want doesn't come to fruition (E3 in a nutshell). So I don't get the outcry about wolf being cut from the roster.
Actually, there are plenty of characters that could be added, that would be unique and add new elements to the game,

However, Roy is pretty much irrelevant whereas Wolf is appearing in a new game just this month.
Roy's most recent game was 2003. That sounds old until you consider that Ness' most recent game was 1994, ROB's most recent game was 1985, and Duck Hunt's most recent game was 1984. If you only want to refer to FE characters, then Ike's most recent game was in 2007 and aside from a Japan-exclusive 2008 remake of FE1, Marth's most recent game was 1990. In comparison to some of the cast, Roy is still pretty relevant.

Last edited:
Roy's most recent game was 2003. That sounds old until you consider that Ness' most recent game was 1994, ROB's most recent game was 1985, and Duck Hunt's most recent game was 1984. If you only want to refer to FE characters, then Ike's most recent game was in 2007 and aside from a Japan-exclusive 2008 remake of FE1, Marth's most recent game was 1990. In comparison to some of the cast, Roy is still pretty relevant.
Listing a bunch of games that Nintendo has decided to ignore doesn't make Roy any more relevant.

Listing a bunch of games that Nintendo has decided to ignore doesn't make Roy any more relevant.
I'm just saying that if you're think Roy isn't relevant because he doesn't have a new game but also imply that other characters are relevant enough to be included even though their games are as old or older, that's pretty flawed logic.

Well, Roy was in Awakening also..

It's quite unfortunate that we lost Wolf in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4. We could infer and interpret whatever we don't know about this decision; Was it time delays? Was the fact that Star Fox hadn't seen anything major for the past 10 years another nail in the coffin? We won't know unless Sakurai explains the decision of why to leave Wolf out of this game.

But I (personally) can rest easy. I can still enjoy Smash Bros even if I can't have a Wolf Vs Cloud Vs Sonic Vs Samus match in this game. The best I can hope for is that if there's a new Smash on the way, I'm very certain they'll bring Wolf back. Perhaps if we see this new Star Fox universe from Zero continue to evolve, we might even see more of this series in Smash in future instalments.

well having played zero i have to say i want the directi in smash
He is in smash already,:4rob:. :awesome:Direct-i is pretty much a smaller cuter ROB.
If Corrin wasn't a playable character, then I'd probably be OK with Roy, but now that he's in, Fire Emblem has more reps than ZELDA. They should have never added Corrin, after they added Roy. It should have been one or the other.

Everyone's whining about Wolf, what about other possible characters? I need a James McCloud alternate costume for Fox. (half Kappa half not Kappa)

Top Bottom