• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Nintendaholic

Smash Rookie
Yeah, people seem to be assuming that Sakurai designed the smash themed boxing ring to keep people in the dark about the stage really being punch out themed.....but I feel its more likely that the stage is customisable in some way.

Maybe the logo on the ring changes to match the characters fighting on the stage, like say the majority of fighters in a match are from the Mario Bros series, then the logo on the ring will be the mushroom.
Although this really would be cool, i think its safe to say its a punch out! stage.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
If the Punch-Out!! stage is also on the 3DS version, I'm expecting a Rainbow Road, specifically the one shown in Rosalina's trailer, to be a stage in the Wii U version.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
Wait... I just realized the Punch Out!! stage is on both WiiU and 3DS. TWIST!!!

I'm honestly starting to wonder what the point of making two separate games is if they both have the same fighters and even the same stages.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wait... I just realized the Punch Out!! stage is on both WiiU and 3DS. TWIST!!!

I'm honestly starting to wonder what the point of making two separate games is if they both have the same fighters and even the same stages.
Not all stages will show up in both versions. Since Punch Out doesn't really have any games except for ports (correct me if I'm wrong) on the Handheld consoles. I guess they ported the Wii U stage to the 3DS version as well for that.

I guess we can assume with this that the Ice Climbers, Game & Watch and such series that only have games on one side but not the other will probably also have stages that will appear in both versions.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
Not all stages will show up in both versions. Since Punch Out doesn't really have any games except for ports (correct me if I'm wrong) on the Handheld consoles. I guess they ported the Wii U stage to the 3DS version as well for that.

I guess we can assume with this that the Ice Climbers, Game & Watch and such series that only have games on one side but not the other will probably also have stages that will appear in both versions.
That still seems like a lot of overlap to me, and again I beg the question, why make two versions?

The way I see it, the roster, stages, and items are basically the three biggest elements that affect Smash Bros gameplay. If the entire roster is going to be the same on both versions, that's already a huge overlap between the two. Now, if both versions end up having many of the same stages too, its starting to seem like they are basically just the same game with some minor version-exclusive differences.

Of course, the OTHER possibility is there is just a different boxing ring for Little Mac's stage 3DS stage, since, well, what else could he have? The sidewalk outside where he trains in his pink jumpsuit? Maybe his 3DS stage is the Minor Circuit and the WiiU one is the Major?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That still seems like a lot of overlap to me, and again I beg the question, why make two versions?

The way I see it, the roster, stages, and items are basically the three biggest elements that affect Smash Bros gameplay. If the entire roster is going to be the same on both versions, that's already a huge overlap between the two. Now, if both versions end up having many of the same stages too, its starting to seem like they are basically just the same game with some minor version-exclusive differences.

Of course, the OTHER possibility is there is just different boxing ring for Little Mac's stage 3DS stage, since, well, what else could he have? The sidewalk outside where he trains in his pink jumpsuit? Maybe one is the Minor Circuit and one is the Major?
I highly doubt they will have that many stages showing up in both versions though. In fact, we don't even know the total number of stages both versions will be getting.

A lot of franchises of Nintendo have had at least one game each showing up on a handheld and home console system. And only a couple of series have had a game solely on either one or the other. So the difference should outweigh the similarities in terms of the stages.

However, besides that, there may also be some aesthetic or mechanic differences between the two versions. Look at Battlefield for example.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Of course, the OTHER possibility is there is just a different boxing ring for Little Mac's stage 3DS stage, since, well, what else could he have? The sidewalk outside where he trains in his pink jumpsuit? Maybe his 3DS stage is the Minor Circuit and the WiiU one is the Major?
So far, it looks like the same stage as in the Wii U version.

What's also interesting to note is that in the top pic, the pink banner to the side of speakers still says "Smash Bros", but in the bottom pic, it says "Punch Out!!!" like everything else.

I think the stage will still have Smash Bros references; it's just that the Punch-Out!!! references weren't shown in any of the earlier pics.

Last edited:

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
Not gunna lie, you guys, this is starting to grow on me for a stage idea:

Stage: NYC
Game: Punch Out!!
Doc Louis bikes in the background, while the screen follows at a moderate pace, gradually moving in a manner similar to Mushroomy Kingdom from Brawl. The players basically battle on the street with a flat, open battleground, and kill-zones at the sides and top.

Very unlikely Little Mac will get 2 stages, I know, but a guy can dream. :rotfl:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, so far, isn't the Boxing Ring the only stage that's the same between both versions. As far as I know, the only other stage that's shared between Wii U and 3DS is Battlefield and they're different in each version. So, having one stage the same so far doesn't seem like "a lot of overlap" to me.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, so far, isn't the Boxing Ring the only stage that's the same between both versions. As far as I know, the only other stage that's shared between Wii U and 3DS is Battlefield and they're different in each version. So, having one stage the same so far doesn't seem like "a lot of overlap" to me.
Boxing Ring and Battlefield are literally the only ones, yup. Even Battlefield is in small visual ways different, so I mean... Nothing to say the Boxing Ring can't have little differences too.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
Boxing Ring and Battlefield are literally the only ones, yup. Even Battlefield is in small visual ways different, so I mean... Nothing to say the Boxing Ring can't have little differences too.
I guess I'm just concerned because it's starting to seem like the ONLY differences between the two versions will be the stages, and if those are even starting to overlap, it makes me wonder... why bother making two at all? Why not make one really good Smash 4 with lots of stages? I'm starting to wonder what Sakurai is hiding up his sleeve as far as connectivity between the two.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I guess I'm just concerned because it's starting to seem like the ONLY differences between the two versions will be the stages, and if those are are even starting to overlap, it makes me wonder... why bother making two at all? Why not make one really good Smash 4 with lots of stages? I'm starting to wonder what Sakurai is hiding up his sleeve as far as connectivity between the two.
Well honestly I think Nintendo would argue that having a Smash (a guaranteed best seller) on both of it's systems is reason enough all by itself.

Now is that a good enough reason for us to BUY both? Idk... The exclusive stages are incentive for me, and I guess the exclusive trophies are a plus, but as of right now I'll probably end up just buying the Wii U version unless there's some 3DS stage that is just too good to miss out on. Even then I doubt I'll buy the 3DS version this year, and I don't even own a Wii U yet XD

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well honestly I think Nintendo would argue that having a Smash (a guaranteed best seller) on both of it's systems is reason enough all by itself.

Now is that a good enough reason for us to BUY both? Idk... The exclusive stages are incentive for me, and I guess the exclusive trophies are a plus, but as of right now I'll probably end up just buying the Wii U version unless there's some 3DS stage that is just too good to miss out on. Even then I doubt I'll buy the 3DS version this year, and I don't even own a Wii U yet XD
3DS has Reset Bomb Forest, while Wii U has boring Skyworld. 3DS also has Rainbow Road, Arena Ferox and New Mushroom Kingdom. The only remotely good stage on the Wii U is Super Mario Galaxy and Wily's Castle. If the Wii U gets Rainbow Road and an actually good KI stage I'll eat my words.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
3DS has Reset Bomb Forest, while Wii U has boring Skyworld. 3DS also has Rainbow Road, Arena Ferox and New Mushroom Kingdom. The only remotely good stage on the Wii U is Super Mario Galaxy and Wily's Castle. If the Wii U gets Rainbow Road and an actually good KI stage I'll eat my words.
Well opinions of course. I love everything we've seen on Wii U so far except for Skyworld since we haven't seen much of it. Rainbow Road looks way too intrusive for me, same for most 3DS stages actually.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well opinions of course. I love everything we've seen on Wii U so far except for Skyworld since we haven't seen much of it. Rainbow Road looks way too intrusive for me, same for most 3DS stages actually.
"way too intrusive"
How about iconic?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
"way too intrusive"
How about iconic?
No one said it wasn't an iconic o.O I mean are those mutually exclusive somehow?

In fact, it being so iconic just makes it worse that I personally wouldn't find it any fun to play on with those Shy Guys driving by.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Yeah, stages like that makes me wish for more overlap so I could see stages like reset bomb forest in HD.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I guess I'm just concerned because it's starting to seem like the ONLY differences between the two versions will be the stages, and if those are even starting to overlap, it makes me wonder... why bother making two at all? Why not make one really good Smash 4 with lots of stages? I'm starting to wonder what Sakurai is hiding up his sleeve as far as connectivity between the two.
Because they need one version to actually sell, that is why they decided to make a 3DS version. And even if all stages and everything else was present in both version, what is the problem? That would be even better. I don't get it. Smash 4 will be a really good game, the fact there is two version doesn't change that at all.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
Yeah, stages like that makes me wish for more overlap so I could see stages like reset bomb forest in HD.[/quot
Because they need one version to actually sell, that is why they decided to make a 3DS version. And even if all stages and everything else was present in both version, what is the problem? That would be even better. I don't get it. Smash 4 will be a really good game, the fact there is two version doesn't change that at all.
And what, you think it wouldn't sell otherwise? SSB4 is a big enough title that I doubt sales would be a worry, but yeah, from a business perspective, having it on both platforms is clever because SSB4 is likely to drive SOME console sales.

However, as a Smash fan, I'm not interested in how they can make more money. I'm purely in it for the fan-servicey glory. I thought making two games would mean more spots in the roster, offering even more opportunities for inclusion of iconic Nintendo characters, stages, items etc. Plus if they just focused on making one game, they could pour all their energy into that to make it one really good game. I'm just kinda sad because it seems like a lot of missed opportunities.

Additionally, doesn't making two games with the same cast of fighters and many other overlapping elements, actually create a competition between the two? Example: I have a 3DS, but not a WiiU. Why should I bother getting a WiiU to play SSB4 when I could just get it on 3DS for way less money? How will Sakurai make them different enough to make people want to buy both? I was under the impression stages would be one of those differentiating factors, but I may have been wrong there too!

If that's how its going to be, though, I'll try to get over it. I do think a Rhythm Heaven stage (or character!) would be fun, and it could be included on both versions since it was both DS and Wii! :estatic:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Here are a couple of stages that I think would be really cool:

Pinball:

Representing the Retro Series, I think with the Wii U's graphics, this stage would look absolutely amazing! Well, that is if they were to "revamp" the colors and scenery. Anyway, the pinball would be the stage hazard as well as the flippers.

Battle Arcade:

Representing the Pokemon Series, this stage isn't very likely but could be a fun stage. Just like in the game, the screen will flash with different weather elements and affects. Which ever affect the cursor stops on would determine what happens for some time. Heck, Sakurai could change some of the affects to match more of Smash's status conditions. Like I said, very unlikely and not really deserving, but I believe this would be neat.

Mine Cart Carnage:

Representing the Donkey Kong Series, This is one of my most wanted stages. The stage would set on the tracks and different enemies from the DKC would zoom by in a cart. Collision would cause extreme knock-back.

These are just a few stages that I feel would be cool. I'm not saying these are the most deserving stages(Like Bowser's castle, I mean why hasn't it been in yet?!).

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Here are a couple of stages that I think would be really cool:

Pinball:

Representing the Retro Series, I think with the Wii U's graphics, this stage would look absolutely amazing! Well, that is if they were to "revamp" the colors and scenery. Anyway, the pinball would be the stage hazard as well as the flippers.

Battle Arcade:

Representing the Pokemon Series, this stage isn't very likely but could be a fun stage. Just like in the game, the screen will flash with different weather elements and affects. Which ever affect the cursor stops on would determine what happens for some time. Heck, Sakurai could change some of the affects to match more of Smash's status conditions. Like I said, very unlikely and not really deserving, but I believe this would be neat.

Mine Cart Carnage:

Representing the Donkey Kong Series, This is one of my most wanted stages. The stage would set on the tracks and different enemies from the DKC would zoom by in a cart. Collision would cause extreme knock-back.

These are just a few stages that I feel would be cool. I'm not saying these are the most deserving stages(Like Bowser's castle, I mean why hasn't it been in yet?!).
Definitely like the Mine Cart idea, but I'd only be down for it if we got another, neutral DK stage as well.

Pinball could be real fun as a crazy mayhem stage too.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
If you were to ask me,
[collapse=Wii U stages]+Pilotwings
+Mario Galaxy
+Garden of Hope
+Animal Crossing
+Wily's Castle
+/-Windy Hill Zone
+/-Battlefield
+/-Palutena's Temple
-Skyloft
-Pyrosphere
-Wii Fit
-Punch-Out Stadium[/collapse]
[collapse=3DS stages]+Rainbow Road
+Arena Ferox
+Spirit Tracks
+Reset Bomb Valley
+/-Battlefield
+/-Find Mii
+/-Kapp'n's Vessel
-Punch-Out Stadium
-New Mushroom Kingdom
-Gerudo Valley
-Nintendogs
[/collapse]
Both of them have great stages, and both have their fair share of walk-offs and uninspired designs.
Pilotwings looks like it's going to be by far my favorite stage of the series, and the Spirit Tracks stage also looks to be incredibly fun to fight on.

And if Brawl's stage roster was anything to go by, we've seen far from the whole batch of them.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If you were to ask me,
[collapse=Wii U stages]+Pilotwings
+Mario Galaxy
+Garden of Hope
+Animal Crossing
+Wily's Castle
+/-Windy Hill Zone
+/-Battlefield
+/-Palutena's Temple
-Skyloft
-Pyrosphere
-Wii Fit
-Punch-Out Stadium[/collapse]
[collapse=3DS stages]+Rainbow Road
+Arena Ferox
+Spirit Tracks
+Reset Bomb Valley
+/-Battlefield
+/-Find Mii
+/-Kapp'n's Vessel
-Punch-Out Stadium
-New Mushroom Kingdom
-Gerudo Valley
-Nintendogs
[/collapse]
Both of them have great stages, and both have their fair share of walk-offs and uninspired designs.
Pilotwings looks like it's going to be by far my favorite stage of the series, and the Spirit Tracks stage also looks to be incredibly fun to fight on.

And if Brawl's stage roster was anything to go by, we've seen far from the whole batch of them.
Walkoffs =/= bad. Super Mario Galaxy's an amazing stage, and I really don't see how Kapp'n's vessel is uninspired, at last we get a non-town Animal Crossing stage.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Walkoffs =/= bad. Super Mario Galaxy's an amazing stage, and I really don't see how Kapp'n's vessel is uninspired, at last we get a non-town Animal Crossing stage.
I just find most walk-off stages to be boring to play on since kills come so early.
Any of the stages we don't know anything about I gave a neutral mark.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
I personally like stages that are considered "walkoffs." There's more room for battle, and you can focus on skillful offense in order to launch opponents up and over, rather than relying on cheap edge-guarding tactics.

I don't play in tournaments, but it sounds like they homogenize the whole experience. I understand why, but it still sounds like it would suck a lot of the fun from it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't mind walk-offs and I could care less if a stage is tourney valid or not. Actually, I prefer the banned stages.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't mind walk-offs and I could care less if a stage is tourney valid or not. Actually, I prefer the banned stages.
Given that competitive players ban stages when a platform tilts slightly...

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm not gonna lie, I do think the grounds on which certain stages are banned are a little bit much. Some of my preferred stages certainly aren't tourney-approved.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
You're correct about that, but walk-offs DO most likely mean tourney banned.
Sadly even though many top players have explained why walk off camping is actually a bad strategy, no one listens to them. But also, items on remove the issues of walk offs. Random thoughts for you.

I'm not gonna lie, I do think the grounds on which certain stages are banned are a little bit much. Some of my preferred stages certainly aren't tourney-approved.
While there is a little exageration you're kinda right. TOs have banned stages just because they don't like them even if they are competitively sound (and even admitted to it). Keep an eye on the 3DS scene if you're more open on stages, we got plans...

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who thinks the Mario Galaxy stage looks boring?
I mean, it's visually gorgeous, but it's basically just a flat platform... I'm hoping it gets a little more interactive later or I'll be dissapointed.

Also, I hope the boxing stage isn't costumisable. A Punch-Out stage whithout Punch-Out logos isn't a Punch-Out stage.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I mean, it's visually gorgeous, but it's basically just a flat platform... I'm hoping it gets a little more interactive later or I'll be dissapointed.

Also, I hope the boxing stage isn't costumisable. A Punch-Out stage whithout Punch-Out logos isn't a Punch-Out stage.
It has a punch-out logo in some of the screenshots. :)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
From what I understand, it's actually a rounded platform with matching gravity.
People currently seem to think it's a walk off stage but what I'm hoping is that we've only seen a small section of it and it is infact a full sphere.

Top Bottom