• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
True. I guess there's hope for Bowser World. :3

And the Hisstocrat's Theme needs to be in the game!
Hisstocrat, who that? Hold on, let me check...
...Wait, THEY ACTUALLY MADE ORIGINAL BOSSES FOR ONCE?! :b:
...Never saw that coming.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok, here's my concept for a Bowser's Castle stage:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f339/dracomageat/bowsercast_zpscaa54ad1.png[/collapse]

It's a fairly wide stage, in terms of solid area, with grabbable ledges as any competitive player would demand and a lot of flat space. That, however, is where the normality ends. There is no offscreen fighting on this stage. What you see is what you get and the blast zones are therefore abnormally close to the play area.
Don't camp at the edges in the hopes of an easy kill though. At regular intervals, the blue Thwomps in the upper corners of the stage will shake to alert players to their imminent fall. They will not have long to move and, should a Thwomp catch them, players will take huge damage and knockback, hitting diagonally downwards such that the ill prepared will most likely either be KOed sideways or shoot down into the lava below.
The Thwomps spend less time down than up so as to prevent wall infinites going on for too long. During this time, the stage does technically have walk off ledges but they are raised above the main play area and, should a player attempt to camp atop a Thwomp, they are likely to be star KOed when it rises without warning.
So, what about the lava you ask? It's a touch weaker than Brinstar's but essentially the same. Players caught in it will most likely not be KOed off the sides but will instead have to navigate the stage's awkwardly shaped underside in an attempt to pass back up through the middle bridge section (since side recovery is so risky). This bridge can also be dropped through if you're crazy enough.
At this point you're probably thinking to yourself, what's to prevent players from getting a stock ahead and stalling under the stage till time runs out? It's quite simple really. Fireballs resembling Mario's neutral B move in all respects will jump up a short way from the lava on random and fairly frequent occasions. Expect one on screen at all times. They will not hit players unless they are very close to the lava or, on rare occasions, standing on the bridge. If, however, a player is racking up damage stalling under the stage, the fireballs will hit them and, at the expected high percents caused by such a tactic, do an awful lot of knockback, mostly sideways.

Any thoughts?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f339/dracomageat/bowsercast_zpscaa54ad1.png[/collapse]

It's a fairly wide stage, in terms of solid area, with grabbable ledges as any competitive player would demand and a lot of flat space. That, however, is where the normality ends. There is no offscreen fighting on this stage. What you see is what you get and the blast zones are therefore abnormally close to the play area.
Don't camp at the edges in the hopes of an easy kill though. At regular intervals, the blue Thwomps in the upper corners of the stage will shake to alert players to their imminent fall. They will not have long to move and, should a Thwomp catch them, players will take huge damage and knockback, hitting diagonally downwards such that the ill prepared will most likely either be KOed sideways or shoot down into the lava below.
The Thwomps spend less time down than up so as to prevent wall infinites going on for too long. During this time, the stage does technically have walk off ledges but they are raised above the main play area and, should a player attempt to camp atop a Thwomp, they are likely to be star KOed when it rises without warning.
So, what about the lava you ask? It's a touch weaker than Brinstar's but essentially the same. Players caught in it will most likely not be KOed off the sides but will instead have to navigate the stage's awkwardly shaped underside in an attempt to pass back up through the middle bridge section (since side recovery is so risky). This bridge can also be dropped through if you're crazy enough.
At this point you're probably thinking to yourself, what's to prevent players from getting a stock ahead and stalling under the stage till time runs out? It's quite simple really. Fireballs resembling Mario's neutral B move in all respects will jump up a short way from the lava on random and fairly frequent occasions. Expect one on screen at all times. They will not hit players unless they are very close to the lava or, on rare occasions, standing on the bridge. If, however, a player is racking up damage stalling under the stage, the fireballs will hit them and, at the expected high percents caused by such a tactic, do an awful lot of knockback, mostly sideways.

Any thoughts?
I have one, how about instead of two Twomps being in just one area, how 'bout one bigger Thwomp that'll appear randomly (or, it'll follow the first player's last location on a set timer. If there is no first player, it simply picks randomly)?
Here's what I mean, what'll happen is after a while, and alert will come up (probably an up arrow with the words "ALERT!!" blinking under it). After a few seconds it'll crash down. What could happen is:
A: It can be used as a wall, or a platform.
Or B: It acts as a spike, causing damage to those who touch it.
Then it'll go back up and repeat the cycle.
So? How 'bout it?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
While that seems perfectly reasonable for casual gameplay and would be interesting to play on, it is not how Thwomps work. Thwomps, unlike Whomps (see SM64 "Whomp's Fortress"), are only able to move in the vertical plane and otherwise entirely fixed in location. Melee's version of Peach's castle has Bullet Bill for that purpose.
Sorry but it just doesn't fit with the enemies' canonical abilities.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
While that seems perfectly reasonable for casual gameplay and would be interesting to play on, it is not how Thwomps work. Thwomps, unlike Whomps (see SM64 "Whomp's Fortress"), are only able to move in the vertical plane and otherwise entirely fixed in location. Melee's version of Peach's castle has Bullet Bill for that purpose.
Sorry but it just doesn't fit with the enemies' canonical abilities.
...This is the game where you can fight multiple Links against multiple cartoonish Links with Mr. Saturns at the Mushroom Kingdom. This wouldn't be too out of place.

But, if anything, just think of it as multiple Thwomps, who occasionally fall every now and then.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
A Wii U stage idea: Gateway Colosseum from Pokémon Battle Revolution. The entirety of Pokétopia can be seen in the background of what could be called the most iconic colosseum of the game.
[collapse="Image"]
[/collapse]

To fit the gameplay of Smash Bros., the circular area of the entire colosseum would be reduced in size, resulting a huge donut-shaped bottomless pit between the structure and the actual arena. Platforms could be added to the stage as well. The background would feature fireworks and the cheering of spectators could be constantly heard on the stage, maybe reacting to the battle as well. Flying Pokémon could also be featured in the background.

Maybe this could also have the transforming mechanic like the Pokémon Stadiums from previous Smash Bros. games. Being from Gen IV, this could be Lucario's home stage too.

Some music that could appear on this stage...
Pokémon Battle Revolution - Gateway Colosseum
Pokémon Red / Blue - Pokémon Main Theme
Pokémon Colosseum - Cipher Peon Battle
I like this idea. PBR is probably one of the most despised games in the Pokemon franchise, but I quite enjoyed it, though I absolutely acknowledge its weaknesses. All of the colosseums were memorable and had distinct designs; the entire aesthetic presentation of the game was quite impressive, aside from the reused Pokemon models. But most importantly, that music. PBR has one of my favorite soundtracks of any game. The battle themes are amazing. Much better than the main series' music, on average. I'd support any PBR stage being included if it just meant they'd include some of the game's music along with it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I like this idea. PBR is probably one of the most despised games in the Pokemon franchise, but I quite enjoyed it, though I absolutely acknowledge its weaknesses. All of the colosseums were memorable and had distinct designs; the entire aesthetic presentation of the game was quite impressive, aside from the reused Pokemon models. But most importantly, that music. PBR has one of my favorite soundtracks of any game. The battle themes are amazing. Much better than the main series' music, on average. I'd support any PBR stage being included if it just meant they'd include some of the game's music along with it.
PBR's mostly hated by those people who keep saying 'OMG MAKE A POKEMON MMORPG!!!1!1!1' even though it's a terrible idea.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
God, just the Gateway Colosseum music is reason enough to have it on the game...and the Courtyard Colosseum, dat' Haunted Mansion Rave Battle Theme. Also, as long as we're talking about music, I must say that Pokemon Battle Revolution got the techno genre down perfectly, unlike XY, which a felt a little clumsy while using techno. Also, dat' announcer on the stage. CRUSHED BY GIGA IMPACT! I could only imagine his Final Smash exclamations. "BOWSER GOES GIGA!" "ANIHILATED BY CRITICAL HIT!" "SCORCHED BY GREAT AETHER!"

Last edited:

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
What kind of Pokemon stages are y'all hoping for?

Personally-

2 3DS and 2 Wii U

3DS- Tower of Mastery, White Forest
Wii U- PokePark, Pokemon Colloseum

Espio264

Smash Ace
Hello everybody, so I've never posted in here before, so I don't know if anything I'm about to say has been discussed already, but if it has just bear with me.

So he says he wants to have home console stages for the Wii U game, but certain franchises didn't really have games on the last gen console (Like Pokemon and Star Fox) that would fit in alongside your Mario Galaxys and your Skyward Swords. Do we think there's a chance he'll reach farther back and celebrate certain iconic games or moments from these franchises for the sake of interesting stages? And because they're special and nostalgic, we likely won't see a reveal for a very long while.

Like I'm thinking a Pokemon Snap stage would be pretty cool. It'd be way different from anything we've seen previously, and would be and exclusive home console game stage. Or a Star Fox Stage from Dinosaur Planet or even Assault. Something that's on the ground in a populated area, a Corneria capital city, or Snowhorn Wastes or Walled city. Something to get us away from fighting on top of yet another spaceship.

And do we think there's a possibility that we might see a Paper Mario stage, even without Paper Mario as a character? I think it'd be a fun place to fight and would be in the spirit of giving us the Mario Kart stage in Brawl.

Just a bunch of things that have been rattling around in my brain.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
We can all dream, Espio. Personally, I think Sakurai will just pick the most "recent" locations for series that haven't seen games recently or on a specific format. For example, I think the F-Zero stage for both versions will be from GX. I think the Star Fox stages will be some vaguely SF64-ish locations on both games as well, especially considering that remakes apparently count for representation, if Gerudo Valley being in the 3DS version is anything to go by.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
We can all dream, Espio. Personally, I think Sakurai will just pick the most "recent" locations for series that haven't seen games recently or on a specific format. For example, I think the F-Zero stage for both versions will be from GX. I think the Star Fox stages will be some vaguely SF64-ish locations on both games as well, especially considering that remakes apparently count for representation, if Gerudo Valley being in the 3DS version is anything to go by.
I'd give the 3DS version a stage from one of the GBA F-Zero games, perhaps Cloud Carpet, if you were to ask me. As for the Wii U Star Fox stage... I'd say an Assault stage, as well.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So what's up with that Kid Icarus stage? The one with Palutena's statue?

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
...and the Boxing Ring was confirmed to be a Punch out ring all along, which was kinda obvious with all the references that were there even before the new design it has now.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
...and the Boxing Ring was confirmed to be a Punch out ring all along, which was kinda obvious with all the references that were there even before the new design it has now.
Wow, I never actually expected them to change the design and everything! I figured if/ when Little Mac was revealed, the Smash Bros arena would just be his "unofficial" stage since it was so clearly influenced by Punch Out!! anyways.

Maybe this means there is still hope for them to change up some other things.... *cough FLUDD cough*

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Any thoughts?
Bowser's Castle is WAAAAYYY overdue. I mean, it's not like it's been in almost every Mario game. Even spin-offs!

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's Castle is WAAAAYYY overdue. I mean, it's not like it's been in almost every Mario game. Even spin-offs!
I agree, it's surprising that a massively recurring iconic stage that is owned by one of the playable isn't in the game.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So it seems stages can appear in both versions. This might mean characters who haven't had a handheld game (like Wii Fit Trainer) can have a stage on the 3DS version.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Perhaps there might be a feature that whenever Little Mac is fighting the stage changes to a Punch-Out style. Or maybe the Smash Bros boxing ring and the Punch-Out ring are separate stages altogether? It's been done in many other fighting games afterall.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The punch-out stage seems really interesting, with the main part of the stage in the middle, and then the two paths leading outward. I think it's going to be really fun to play on.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Perhaps there might be a feature that whenever Little Mac is fighting the stage changes to a Punch-Out style. Or maybe the Smash Bros boxing ring and the Punch-Out ring are separate stages altogether? It's been done in many other fighting games afterall.
Yeah, people seem to be assuming that Sakurai designed the smash themed boxing ring to keep people in the dark about the stage really being punch out themed.....but I feel its more likely that the stage is customisable in some way.

Maybe the logo on the ring changes to match the characters fighting on the stage, like say the majority of fighters in a match are from the Mario Bros series, then the logo on the ring will be the mushroom.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Yeah, people seem to be assuming that Sakurai designed the smash themed boxing ring to keep people in the dark about the stage really being punch out themed.....but I feel its more likely that the stage is customisable in some way.
Could you image that? Like, by beating classic as all the Mario characters on Normal or higher gives you the Mario version? Same for Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, etc... That would be awesome.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Could you image that? Like, by beating classic as all the Mario characters on Normal or higher gives you the Mario version? Same for Zelda, Kirhby, Pokemon, etc... That would be awesome.
That would actually be really awesome.

Top Bottom