• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
You know what a cool Pokémon stage for the 3DS would be?

The Dragon's Den from Heartgold/Soulsiver!
This is where many memorable moments occur;
The double battle against Clair and Lance with Silver is one of the best.
And of course, this is where everyone and their mother got their Dratini!
Imagine fighting on wooden platforms above the water while Clair and Lance watch in the backround with their Dragonite and Dragonair by their side, with an occasional Magikarp flopping on stage. If you kick it off the stage, it will evolve into Gyarados and angrily watch in the backround, then attack it's abuser with Dragon Rage or Hyper Beam.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'd love to see those silhouette levels from DKCR from a visual perspective, but I guess practically it could get kinda annoying.
The biggest problem with it is that you wouldn't be able to differentiate different colors of the same character.
I mean, unless they decided to assign highlights to every character (DK's tie, Megaman's helmet, Sonic's bracelet and shoes) in which case yeah it would be pretty cool.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
The biggest problem with it is that you wouldn't be able to differentiate different colors of the same character.
I mean, unless they decided to assign highlights to every character (DK's tie, Megaman's helmet, Sonic's bracelet and shoes) in which case yeah it would be pretty cool.
Yeah, I didn't think it was actually feasible, just that it would be awesome if it was.

Nintendaholic

Smash Rookie
We need a wonderful 101 stage. fighting on the virgin victory flying around the city, watching the city be destroyed by enemies you fight throughout the game. that would be sweet!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So King Dedede recently got confirmed. That leaves us 2 out of 3 of the known Kirby roster revealed. But strange how we didn't get a stage yet. Which games would you like to see them take from on the Wii U and 3DS for Kirby stages?

Wii U: Return to Dreamland
3DS: Super Star Ultra

-OR-

Wii U: Epic Yarn
3DS: Triple Deluxe

Maha Ishaq

Smash Cadet
There sure are a lot of princesses in the upcoming Super Smash Bros game for WiiU and 3Ds. Princess Zelda has now joined the confirmed roster for the upcoming brawler.
If Pac-Man's labyrinth is to be a stage, they have a LOT of room for improvement over 75M (#324) and Mario Bros Arcade (#326). They'll have to only have parts of it in platforms, shifting between 3 or 4 sectors. If need be, vertical walls may be replaced with elevators instead. Hey, Planet Zebes (#104) in Smash 1 did it!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
So King Dedede recently got confirmed. That leaves us 2 out of 3 of the known Kirby roster revealed. But strange how we didn't get a stage yet. Which games would you like to see them take from on the Wii U and 3DS for Kirby stages?

-OR-

Want:
Epic Yarn on Wii U
Canvas Curse on 3DS

Expect:
Return to Dreamland on Wii U
Triple Deluxe on 3DS

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am not sure if anyone saw this before... but I found it on NeoGAF... here's the link... scroll down to find the post with this picture.

If this is an accurate picture of the new Pikmin stage, then I cannot wait to play it! I loved Pikmin 3 and beat it in 40 game days with all 66 fruits.

I think the platforms would be like in the Pikmin 3 game where they rise and lower when characters get on them... kinda like those platforms in those two stages...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What would people think if Lylat Cruise returned as one of Smash 4's past stages? It would actually be quite amusing to listen to the Lylat Cruise codecs again, but with different contenders fighting.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I won't lie to you, for some reason I hate that stage but I love the background. But! I do think that Starfox has the potential to have some amazing stages, and with the release of 643D a while back we have some hope stages will be derived from that.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

-OR-

Well I mean they could always do both. If the roster really is going to be only a little bigger than Brawl's I can see them going all out on the stages.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Terrible stage, amusing codecs. I say stick them somewhere new and bring back Corneria.
Well it is the only Star Fox stage to not have stage hazards, but I guess fighting on a stage that moves around frequently tends to be looked down upon.

Still, if it means listening to those codecs again, at least the stage can be played casually.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
My issue with it was less the movement and more the bland, uninteresting and unmemorable nature of the stage. Had the menu not told me, I would not even have known it was Starfox. Also the floatiness though, that was awful and probably at least partially movement generated. I guess, outside of the already lightweight Brawl, that aspect might be more tolerable.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Why not both an Epic Yarn and a Return to Dreamland stage?

Like, as a starter stage, we have a Yoshi Story-Like Epic Yarn stage, and we can unlock Alternate Dimension from Return to Dreamland?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
London Olympic Center

Day Version
I'd love this stage to be a thing on both versions! With a day/night mechanic depending on the actual system clock! The day version could have those London Buses bustling around on the background, and the night version could have the opening ceremony fireworks on the background.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nice stuff about the Pikmin stage. If that image turns out to be the layout, it will be an interesting stage, indeed.

That makes me wonder, what will be the Pikmin stage on the 3DS? Could this be a stage available on both versions?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Nice stuff about the Pikmin stage. If that image turns out to be the layout, it will be an interesting stage, indeed.

That makes me wonder, what will be the Pikmin stage on the 3DS? Could this be a stage available on both versions?
They could have a Chibi-Robo 3DS stage and just make that Olimar's home stage.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They could have a Chibi-Robo 3DS stage and just make that Olimar's home stage.
That would be strange. Why would Olimar not have a stage related to his franchise on the 3DS version? Why a Chibi-Robo to be Olimar's stage? It doesn't make sense.

Maybe he will have a stage based on Pikmin or Pikmin 2, instead of a Pikmin 3 stage...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That would be strange. Why would Olimar not have a stage related to his franchise on the 3DS version? Why a Chibi-Robo to be Olimar's stage? It doesn't make sense.

Maybe he will have a stage based on Pikmin or Pikmin 2, instead of a Pikmin 3 stage...
because there havnt been any handheld pikmin games

wii u stages: home console, 3ds stages: handheld

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Want:
Epic Yarn on Wii U
Canvas Curse on 3DS
Don´t forget there is Yarn Yoshi coming, maybe a Yarn stage fit better on the Yoshi universe.

Terrible stage, amusing codecs. I say stick them somewhere new and bring back Corneria.
I really like that stage, is one of my favorite on Star Fox Universe.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
because there havnt been any handheld pikmin games

wii u stages: home console, 3ds stages: handheld
I know that. That's why I brought the question in the first place. How about reading the first post that started this conversation? >_>

Still, I think there might be some exceptions to this rule. In the Developer Direct, Sakurai said that some of the stages would differ between versions. Some obviously doesn't mean all, because some series don't have games on handheld consoles and others don't have games on home consoles. Sakurai likely is aware of that.

Sakurai also stated that "on the 3DS version, there will be more stages based on handheld titles," implying there might be stages based on console titles for series that never had handheld titles, such as Pikmin or Wii Fit.

It wouldn't make sense for Olimar to not have a stage on the 3DS version.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

They're both GameCube-era series that have very small characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They're both GameCube-era series that have very small characters.
You still don't know the meaning of home stage, now do you? That's not a valid reason to have a Chibi-Robo stage for Olimar.

Anyway, I think he will either get another Pikmin stage on the 3DS version or Garden of Hope will be one of the stages to be featured in both versions. Possibly the same going for other smaller franchises like Game & Watch or Ice Climber. Wii Fit could also get the same stage on the 3DS version.

Guess only time will tell...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know that Pilotwings stage? It is based on both the SNES game (console) and the 3DS game (handheld)... and it is in the Wii U version... so it is not like the 3DS version would only have stages from handheld games and nothing from the console games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know that. That's why I brought the question in the first place. How about reading the first post that started this conversation? >_>

Still, I think there might be some exceptions to this rule. In the Developer Direct, Sakurai said that some of the stages would differ between versions. Some obviously doesn't mean all, because some series don't have games on handheld consoles and others don't have games on home consoles. Sakurai likely is aware of that.

Sakurai also stated that "on the 3DS version, there will be more stages based on handheld titles," implying there might be stages based on console titles for series that never had handheld titles, such as Pikmin or Wii Fit.

It wouldn't make sense for Olimar to not have a stage on the 3DS version.
well dont forget in all past smash bros not all characters have stages

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
well dont forget in all past smash bros not all characters have stages
Why would Olimar not have a home stage on the 3DS version when he has on the Wii U version? Sounds stupid.

As @ Arcadenik Arcadenik stated, not all stages follow the "3DS - Handheld title stages, Wii U - Home console title stages" rule. The Pilotwings stage has elements from the 3DS game, yet it's on the Wii U version.

It seems that this rule is not as strict as you perceive it to be. Sakurai never stated that the 3DS version would exclusively feature stages from handheld titles, same for the Wii U version. Yes, there will be a majority of stages from handheld titles on the handheld version, but Sakurai never mentioned any sort of exclusivity.

A Pikmin stage on the 3DS version is entirely plausible. It would be one of the few non-handheld stages to be featured on the 3DS version, though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why would Olimar not have a home stage on the 3DS version when he has on the Wii U version? Sounds stupid.

As @ Arcadenik Arcadenik stated, not all stages follow the "3DS - Handheld title stages, Wii U - Home console title stages" rule. The Pilotwings stage has elements from the 3DS game, yet it's on the Wii U version.

It seems that this rule is not as strict as you perceive it to be. Sakurai never stated that the 3DS version would exclusively feature stages from handheld titles, same for the Wii U version. Yes, there will be a majority of stages from handheld titles on the handheld version, but Sakurai never mentioned any sort of exclusivity.

A Pikmin stage on the 3DS version is entirely plausible. It would be one of the few non-handheld stages to be featured on the 3DS version, though.
but you cant deny there is the possibility that there wont be one

im not saying there wont be

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
but you cant deny there is the possibility that there wont be one

im not saying there wont be
It's true that I can't deny that, but it would be really strange, considering Pikmin is currently one of the more popular Nintendo series.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Sorry dude, but Wuhu Island has as much reason to be in the Wii U version as any of the other stages. Before Pilotwings Resort, Wuhu Island was in a couple Wii games, one of them was Wii Sports Resort, which was made to promote the Wii Motion Plus accessory.

And it also has planes like PWings Resort.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Wii U Kid Icarus Stage:

Aurum Islands
Skyworld from Brawl's fine...so I don't see the need for a new Skyworld stage, and Uprising's locations are too memorable to not use them on the Wii U version.
The fight would take place on top of an Aurum platform, with weird circuits and pillars and stuff, and the stage would start where Pit's hovering on that picture, with the sun rising behind the enormous Aurum Islands (Visually stunning!). After a while, the Aurum platform takes off towards the Islands and flies above the surface, Aurum enemies appearing from time to time and shooting at the players as they traverse the islands at high speeds on top of the platform, ending up at the Core Tower and staying there for the rest of the battle.

Default Music: Mysterious Invaders

And...people, what would you choose for a Professor Layton stage?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Stage Discussion huh? Let's talk about the City Folks Stage then. "Anyone notice that the characters that appear correlate to where they can be found in game? Also, I don't know if it's static or not but currently both the time and characters seen are fixed. Redd, Gracie, and Shrunk are always in the City, Wendel, Pelly, and Sahara in town. Do you think we're not seeing the full capability yet?

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
More Super Mario Galaxy
Something from Mario Party
Better Luigi's Mansion
Lumoise City
Something from Super Mario 3D World
Underworld from Kid Icarus Uprising
Tennis Court from Mario Tennis
A stage inspired by Hyrule Warriors
Lorule

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So I'm just copying this from my Plasm Wraith support thread. It's a stage based on the Formidable Oak from Pikmin 3.

This stage is based on the underground portion of the Formidable Oak, which resembles a termite mound. The stage is composed of one large tunnel and 2 smaller upper chambers. The tunnel and chambers each have high ceilings/chimneys(also like a termite mound) to allow for upward KO's. The stage hazard would be various creatures from PNF-404, such as the Whiptongue Bulborb, Burrowing Snagret, Swooping Snitchbug, and Sheargrubs. These creatures would attack fighters, but they can also be defeated. After being defeated, they dissolve into golden protoplasm. I also made a rough ugly mockup of the stage. The yellow arrows represent the spots where creatures would spawn, and the red x's represent the boundary areas. The black lines represent walls and the floor. The sky would also be visible in the upper background.
FormidableOak.png (Ignore the darker brown area below the stage)
Thoughts?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
For Pokemon, here are my ideas for stages:

3DS and WiiU Shared Stage: Pokemon Stadium 3

3DS Exclusive: Lumiose City

Wii U Exclusive: Poke Floats 2

Top Bottom