• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
AH i guess mac is just destined for low tier till a separate FD only rule set is implaced. (lol i don't even use mac)
Little Mac isn't even terrible on all platform stages. Rising Uppercut goes a pretty decent distance when used from the ground (though I don't have the game myself to be able to tell you whether or not he reaches the middle platform of Battlefield with it), and as long as he has a platform to land on and his opponent has a little bit of damage tacked on his aerials can be used to get him some space. They've got massive aerial endlag (with the exception of NAir), but at the very least both his FAir and NAir have either generous auto-cancel windows or seemingly a complete lack of landing lag.

But honestly? That's neither here nor there. Don't want to play Little Mac on Lumiose City? Strike Lumiose City. Don't want to face Duck Hunt on Spirit Train? Don't let Duck Hunt take you to Spirit Train.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Little Mac isn't even terrible on all platform stages. Rising Uppercut goes a pretty decent distance when used from the ground (though I don't have the game myself to be able to tell you whether or not he reaches the middle platform of Battlefield with it), and as long as he has a platform to land on and his opponent has a little bit of damage tacked on his aerials can be used to get him some space. They've got massive aerial endlag (with the exception of NAir), but at the very least both his FAir and NAir have either generous auto-cancel windows or seemingly a complete lack of landing lag.

But honestly? That's neither here nor there. Don't want to play Little Mac on Lumiose City? Strike Lumiose City. Don't want to face Duck Hunt on Spirit Train? Don't let Duck Hunt take you to Spirit Train.
its not that little mac is terrible its that he dose not have a solid answer to platforms like every other character. ( well at least yet)

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
Like every other fighting game? I have no problem with this and prefer the variety of backgrounds and music.
We can always use any omega stage as alts to final decision based on aesthetic preference. But I actually want to play on more varied stages.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I believe that more stages in the meta game actually allows for the meta to develop better and for it to be more balanced. To show this I'm going to use a simple model where there are only three stages (Final Destination, Battlefield, and Tomodachi Life) and 3 characters (Marth, Bowser, and Meta Knight). Now these stats are all theoretical, but lets say after the first couple tournies with smash 4 the win ratios are these:

FD
Bowser 60/40 Meta knight
Bowser 50/50 Marth
Marth 50/50 Meta Knight

BF
Bowser 50/50 Meta Knight
Bowser 60/40 Marth
Marth 50/50 Meta Knight

TL
Bowser 30/70 Meta Knight
Bowser 40/60 Marth
Meta Knight 50/50 Marth

So the Community sees all three characters winning tournaments, but it seems bowser is significantly hindered by TL. The community's knee jerk reaction is to ban TL. Now with that stage gone the meta develops now with bowser winning more and more. As bowser sees more usage, people better learn how to play bowser and there he wins even more. Now after a couple years the ratios are these:

FD
Bowser 90/10 Meta knight
Bowser 75/25 Marth
Marth 55/45 Meta Knight

BF
Bowser 75/25 Meta Knight
Bowser 90/10 Marth
Marth 45/55 Meta Knight

The community now accepts that bowser is just by far the best character. Some tournaments try to bring back TL, but bowser still wins the majority of the time anyways. The community decides that there's no reason to use Marth and Meta Knight, so Bowser is essentially the only character. This is what happens when you ban stages too soon.

Now lets imagine we didn't ban TL and the meta game develops with that stage in mind. We still see bowser being played because of his slight advantage on the other two stages, but now all 3 characters are being used and mastered. Now after a couple of years that stats are these

FD
Bowser 60/40 Meta knight
Bowser 50/50 Marth
Marth 55/45 Meta Knight

BF
Bowser 50/50 Meta Knight
Bowser 60/40 Marth
Marth 45/55Meta Knight

TL
Bowser 40/50 Meta Knight
Bowser 45/55 Marth
Meta Knight 50/50 Marth

See, now the meta game has developed to a balanced state. All characters and stages are viable. Now its about who's the better player, not who's Bowser. Of coarse now we come to real Smash 4 where there are 49 Characters and 34 stages, and this model doesn't fit exactly. Of course the roster isn't perfectly balanced, and of course there are stages that aren't fair. We can ban some stages, and decide some characters are better; it's inevitable. However, we should be aiming to have as many stages as possible to keep the game balanced and let the meta game develop as best it can.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i think we should just ban super chaotic stages, and for a while experiment wit stages like Gaur Plains (walk-ffs and circle camping).

if the tactics prove too powerful, we ban them. if we ban them and the tactics prove harmless, we won't be unbanning them...

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I think walk-off edges can still mess up the flow of a fight--edge camping, super early kills, etc. But the biggest reason we've avoided them in previous games was because of how someone could chaingrab an opponent and get a guaranteed kill as long as they started on a part of the stage that led straight to the walk-off. With chaingrabs gone, that massive threat dies with them.

So while permanent ones still do more harm than good, wouldn't temporary walk-offs be okay now?

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I think walk-off edges can still mess up the flow of a fight--edge camping, super early kills, etc. But the biggest reason we've avoided them in previous games was because of how someone could chaingrab an opponent and get a guaranteed kill as long as they started on a part of the stage that led straight to the walk-off. With chaingrabs gone, that massive threat dies with them.

So while permanent ones still do more harm than good, wouldn't temporary walk-offs be okay now?
Yes, you're absolutely right. That's why I think a stage like Rainbow Road with a temporary walk-off for one of its many transformations that last 7-8 seconds does not hinder the tempo of the fight enough to consider it a ban.

In perspective, I was watching Vex on Zero's stream a few days ago going over all the stages determining if a stage is "banworthy" or not. Not to write him off, but I thought the attitude presented to the viewers was disgusting. Simply picking a stage in training mode and waiting about 30 seconds to see if anything happens and outright banning it... is this the attitude you want to present to newcomers or just spectators who like to watch Smash? Though you can probably get an idea of how it can affect the match, will it really cause an unfair KO? What determines "unfair," anyway?

The diversity of stages does more good than harm, in my opinion. <3 and others make good points about the randomness in even the most simplest of games, and how even in the past when items were legal and many stages, Ken was still the dominant player. The fact we are even considering that items could be re-legalized is a good step, even if it sounds ridiculous. Having a conservative stage list hinders the metagame and player prowess and setting a certain skill gap. I couldn't believe that once in Brawl's lifetime that Corneria, Jungle Japes, Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise were all allowed, and when I watched those matches, it looked fun! Ofc, just my opinion and personal anecdote, but hey, back then I simply liked to spectate those matches. Some people that I showed them were flabbergasted, and now it's near impossible to find videos of those stages in actual tournaments.

Research and examination needs to be done. We cannot simply ban a stage because of a character's specific weakness on one stage among many that the player had prior knowledge of; see: Armada killing Falco on Mute City in Melee. One can look at Magicant and see Flying Man does a ridiculous amount of damage and knockback... but did they know he doesn't stay forever? Did they know you can KO it fairly easily? Did they know that no interference with the Flying Man makes it disappear? Probably not, they just banned the stage. And again, you need to research this more.

Will players really be hindered by the lack of pits on Mute City and Spirit Train? Are they really "unfair;" do they constitute as "luck" or "random"? I'd love to see these stages legal! They have great music, a great presentation and interesting mechanics and are barely random -- but because of small change that it doesn't have, you can't play on it? You already banned items. Why do you think the competitive community gets a bad vibe to some groups? The lack of diversity of characters was already enough (MK, Olimar, Diddy and ICs in Brawl; Fox and Falco making up 95% of all tourney attendance in Melee (not factually correct but y'know)) but now you're banning stages and the legal ones are so bland.

Pokemon Stadium 1 is the most dynamic and interesting stage in Melee, and arguably, the most interesting to see how the players and matches go and adjust their playstyles to match the stages' transformations. How is that any different from Peach's Castle in that game, which only has one easily avoidable hazard and some platform switches? Is that really random at all? And to this day, I think, there's still no reason why or how it really breaks the flow of matches and stuff. While some stages look painfully obvious with their "unfairness" like Wily's Castle, it still deserves experimentation and an explanation for being banned.

I know this post has quite a bit of rhetorical questions but people need to re-evaluate how they actually ban things, to me. This thread is going on the right track. I'm not trying to say we should legalize stages just to legalize them; they all deserve some research. Mute City looks like such a fantastic stage in Smash 3DS and yet it's not possible to play on because of this plagued way of thinking. I can watch Zero's stream for hours and while it is intersting to see the matches, the non-stop Omega stages really do get bland after a while. Maybe Sakurai was trying to prove a point? lol.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The diversity of stages does more good than harm, in my opinion.
Research and examination needs to be done. We cannot simply ban a stage because of a character's specific weakness on one stage among many that the player had prior knowledge of; see: Armada killing Falco on Mute City in Melee. One can look at Magicant and see Flying Man does a ridiculous amount of damage and knockback... but did they know he doesn't stay forever? Did they know you can KO it fairly easily? Did they know that no interference with the Flying Man makes it disappear? Probably not, they just banned the stage. And again, you need to research this more.
I know this post has quite a bit of rhetorical questions but people need to re-evaluate how they actually ban things, to me. This thread is going on the right track. I'm not trying to say we should legalize stages just to legalize them; they all deserve some research.
This.

All we'd be doing by knee-jerk banning most of the stages is stifling the metagame when we should be seeing how it develops. While there are a handful of stages that have overpowered hazards or a setup that is either too random for competitive play or grants too much of an advantage to specific characters, banning a stage because of any unusual element is foolish. Plus, we also need to account for how a tiny stagelist would affect the metagame, especially--as I've heard mentioned in another thread--if there're one or more characters who flourish on the few stages made legal but have trouble on others that aren't actually ban-worthy. A lot of research still needs to be done (I didn't actually realize how easily the Flying Man can be killed!).

We need to find a balance. We certainly couldn't have every stage legal, not with the likes of Gerudo Valley and the Boxing Ring around. But to go in the complete opposite direction and include a pinpoint-sized stage list...or worse, omega stages only? That'd be as overcentralizing as the likes of...well, Gerudo Valley and the Boxing Ring.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
This.

All we'd be doing by knee-jerk banning most of the stages is stifling the metagame when we should be seeing how it develops. While there are a handful of stages that have overpowered hazards or a setup that is either too random for competitive play or grants too much of an advantage to specific characters, banning a stage because of any unusual element is foolish. Plus, we also need to account for how a tiny stagelist would affect the metagame, especially--as I've heard mentioned in another thread--if there're one or more characters who flourish on the few stages made legal but have trouble on others that aren't actually ban-worthy. A lot of research still needs to be done (I didn't actually realize how easily the Flying Man can be killed!).

We need to find a balance. We certainly couldn't have every stage legal, not with the likes of Gerudo Valley and the Boxing Ring around. But to go in the complete opposite direction and include a pinpoint-sized stage list...or worse, omega stages only? That'd be as overcentralizing as the likes of...well, Gerudo Valley and the Boxing Ring.
Sooo I might've possibly come up with a method to more scientifically measure a stage's legality, I posted it on a 3DS group but what do you guys think of a format like this? At least as a launch pad for ideas.

" I call it,

THE SUPER AMAZING SPICEY SPECIAL STAGE BREAKER FORMULA!!!!
(Or Stage Legality Test for short :p )

Here's how it goes:

You choose a character, and you have either: an CPU with a level between 7-9 (whatever level gives you just enough of a fight that you still need to work for it, but just easy enough to know that you can ultimately win.) OR a friend who you know is slightly lower or equal to your skill level. (This I admittedly have been unable to test so I'm not sure how it'll go.) MAKE SURE BOTH PLAYERS ARE USING THE SAME CHARACTER.

You Choose a stage, start with battlefield and FD as these will be your control variables. Rules should be a time match set between 3-5 minuts with items off.

You battle with the computer and record the win/lose ratio at the end. If the stage is balanced then the ratio should be even.
If the stage is unbalanced then the ratio should be noticeably imbalanced and skewed in one direction.

I gave this model a test run in Brawl using G&W, after years of hiatus and it holds up accurately according to the standard competitive brawl stage list. However science only works if the results can be repeated, so I want people's help with this experiment, either participate alongside me when the game comes out, or forward anyone you know who already has a copy over to this thread. Be sure to include which character was used. (ideally use Mario since he is the most well rounded character but it wouldn't hurt at all to see some variety, it would also give us an idea how certain character types fair on certain stages.)b Also record your matches if able to, if there's a particular instance in the stage that really stuck out at you then you can point to it for later observation and experimentation.

Use this Format when presenting findings:

Character-CPU(Including level) Or Human-Time limit

Stage name
(Wins in your name) : (loses to your name)
Additional notes about the stage itself or how your character handles on it.

Repeat for every stage you test."

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I don't really understand your proposed method because I don't understand what it is trying to achieve. I suspect the use of CPUs renders the results meaningless, because there may be systemic reasons why CPUs are unable to adapt to particular stage-hazards or game-breaking strategies that may not be a problem for humans.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't really understand your proposed method because I don't understand what it is trying to achieve. I suspect the use of CPUs renders the results meaningless, because there may be systemic reasons why CPUs are unable to adapt to particular stage-hazards or game-breaking strategies that may not be a problem for humans.
The idea makes sense. Given a mirror matchup (to eliminate character matchup imbalances) with equal opponents, see if the win ratio skews significantly on a stage. If so, it's a sign that something on the stage can favor one player over another.

It's the use of CPUs that can run into issues, I agree.

infomon

Smash Scientist
If you and an opponent of "equal skill" pick the same character and play on a stage, and one of you always wins on that stage, it tells me that one of you is more skilled than the other at making use of the stage.

I think a stage is broken (competitively) when a player of *lesser* skill is able to bring the win-loss ratio to 50-50. Due to randomness on the stage, or an over-bearing / dominant strategy, having a stronger effect on the result than the gap in skill.

If one player is winning consistently, that tells me the stage is all the more valid :)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If you and an opponent of "equal skill" pick the same character and play on a stage, and one of you always wins on that stage, it tells me that one of you is more skilled than the other at making use of the stage.

I think a stage is broken (competitively) when a player of *lesser* skill is able to bring the win-loss ratio to 50-50. Due to randomness on the stage, or an over-bearing / dominant strategy, having a stronger effect on the result than the gap in skill.

If one player is winning consistently, that tells me the stage is all the more valid :)
That's why he suggests using FD or Battlefield as a baseline, to make sure it's actually even.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I clearly stated why walk off stages where walk offs don't disappear should be banned, and I also stated how I said on a non conservative list, there would be 3 neutrals and about 9 counter picks, which is a lot. Any stages with permanent walk offs should be auto banned because of blast zone camping, which is a very big deal. Temporary walk offs are not a big deal, and I included many of those in my counter pick stages when I went through them.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I clearly stated why walk off stages where walk offs don't disappear should be banned, and I also stated how I said on a non conservative list, there would be 3 neutrals and about 9 counter picks, which is a lot. Any stages with permanent walk offs should be auto banned because of blast zone camping, which is a very big deal. Temporary walk offs are not a big deal, and I included many of those in my counter pick stages when I went through them.
Vex, how do you know blast zone camping will be a big deal in smash 4?

StarYoshi14

Smash Rookie
I can see Lumiose and Ferox being neutrals. Everything else isn't likely. It'll be interesting to see the FD variants. Some are curved platforms and some are straight down. It could affect things like Meta Knight's Ledge game, Ness's recovery, and Mega Man's sticky bombs.

Also seeing a lot of people forget that Gaur Plains is likely gunna have Metalface.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757

Valid criticism, at the time I don't have anyone on my campus who was willing to play with me so CPU's where my only option, the CPU being the inferior player your mentioning. I'll make adjustments and see how it works, in the meantime, how would you design such an experiment?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I would hold competitive smashfests and tournaments and see what game-breaking strategies and stage-phenomena may occur. It's not an "experiment" per se, it's just allowing competition to evolve. If something's actually broken, then we'll figure it out eventually. I expect people to abuse stage-tactics just like I expect their opponents to overcome them.

As for excessive randomness, this is necessarily a judgement-call but experience with competition on the stages, to determine if the better player wins the match or not. Analyzing the stages and providing video examples of randomness penalizing the superior player will allow us to make the best determination.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I would hold competitive smashfests and tournaments and see what game-breaking strategies and stage-phenomena may occur. It's not an "experiment" per se, it's just allowing competition to evolve. If something's actually broken, then we'll figure it out eventually. I expect people to abuse stage-tactics just like I expect their opponents to overcome them.

As for excessive randomness, this is necessarily a judgement-call but experience with competition on the stages, to determine if the better player wins the match or not. Analyzing the stages and providing video examples of randomness penalizing the superior player will allow us to make the best determination.
See, that's exactly what I'm suggesting!

....but people are refusing to do that. -_-

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Balloon Fight - Awful. Water is dangerous and intrusive. Bumpers. Layout is bad. Walk-offs.
Not that I disagree about Balloon Fight probably not being viable (due to the fish and such) but doesn't Balloon Fight wrap around instead of having walk-offs?

Maybe that doesn't apply to side KOs, but I haven't seen confirmation of that.

Still, it would limit the stage to almost exclusively KOs off the top, which would be a problem.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Not that I disagree about Balloon Fight probably not being viable (due to the fish and such) but doesn't Balloon Fight wrap around instead of having walk-offs?

Maybe that doesn't apply to side KOs, but I haven't seen confirmation of that.

Still, it would limit the stage to almost exclusively KOs off the top, which would be a problem.
The warp only applies if you aren't being hit. If you get hit off the sides you still get KOed.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The warp only applies if you aren't being hit. If you get hit off the sides you still get KOed.
Is there at least a minimum amount of knock-back required? Because the wrap-around effect encourages people to go very close to the blast lines. It would be ridiculous to be running around to the other side, get hit by a minor projectile and get KO'ed.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
So what's the current consensus on counter-picking FD versions? It's obvious that some FD versions (longer, shorter, walled versions) are going to benefit some characters more than others.

I'm pretty salty about Wily's Castle. That stage was amazing and unique for a neutral, until that Yellow Devil nonsense.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Is there at least a minimum amount of knock-back required? Because the wrap-around effect encourages people to go very close to the blast lines. It would be ridiculous to be running around to the other side, get hit by a minor projectile and get KO'ed.
Speculating here, but it might be similar to the Sakurai angle where it only picks up on it if you're actually launched. It should be fairly easy to test though, you just need to be, say, Samus and have someone else park themselves at the boundary, as judged by when the magnifying glass switches sides. Then fire uncharged shots at them (or something similar) and see if it kills. Repeat with fully charged shots.

Rakath

Smash Ace
For me, the control methods are:
1. Does the stage lack a strong center combat space?
2. Can the hazards instantly kill you without severe player error? (Meaning that a part of the stage kills you dead due to an unpredictable variable. Big Blue would be a pretty good example.)
3. Does the stage have a walk off that can be infinitely camped? (This does not include the likes of Halberd and Prism Tower, since those take off and you die if you try to camp the walkoff.)

If it fails one of the criteria, then it shouldn't be a neutral pick. If it fails two it probably shouldn't be a counterpick (although some would argue if it has a insta-death hazard we should just not have it, I... don't care either way. If we banned random chance we ban G&W).

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i think we shouldn't try to regulate things early on.

let the TOs work with what they think it's fair for a while: this way we will end up with tournaments that have stages we have doubts on, like Tortimer, Mute City and Gaur Plains.

This will give us actual DATA to work with. instead of JUST THEORY.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me in detail why people think spirit tracks will be banned? (other than big blue 2) I mean, i looks like this can was designed to bed played on gimmicky stages, hearing about the size of the blast zones. Plus the music, is just gorgeous. Please, I would be very thankful

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Can someone tell me in detail why people think spirit tracks will be banned? (other than big blue 2) I mean, i looks like this can was designed to bed played on gimmicky stages, hearing about the size of the blast zones. Plus the music, is just gorgeous. Please, I would be very thankful
In terms of hazards, I think I've seen one of the bomb trains get knocked into the air, land on the stage, and explode. I'm not sure if it happens randomly or if it's triggered by players attacking the train though.

In terms of music there's always the option of playing the omega form.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Spirit Tracks has pretty much all the negatives of Big Blue and The Summit rolled into one. On the right side of the stage its very easy to edguard into cheap low damage kills if your character favors the concept. Even a weak hit, provided it puts the opponent down and into hitstun, can force them onto the ground and dragged off the back. I don't think there's enough height for ledgegrabs on that side (or anywhere on the stage for that matter). The blast lines move often, limiting stage area and allowing for pseudo walk-off camping, and certain weaker recovery characters will have trouble staying airborn during the times the Engine Car is blown up.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
There is nothing wrong with Spirit tracks. It will be on at my events. But then again... most of the stages will be. :)

The stage has a nice large platform. Telegraphed Hazzards. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
There is nothing wrong with Spirit tracks. It will be on at my events. But then again... most of the stages will be. :)

The stage has a nice large platform. Telegraphed Hazzards. Nothing wrong with it at all.
:bee: YA, a spirit track stage supporter, that is what I was exactly think of the stage.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Sprirt Tracks is fine. In fact most of the new stages are fine. People are just afraid of stepping out side of the little "flat plat" box melee recently popularized.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, when look at the current 'suggested list' there is only like 6-8 stages, while that's fine an all, the only stage that has an variety is Luminous Tower and Rest Bomb fortress. I mean, would it really kill to add so more specie. I agree there are a number of bad stages (I'M LOOKING AT YOU MUSHROOMY KINGDOM) and some that were good with one thing spoiling it (the earthbound stage, don't remember name) however would some of these stages be helpful to quick the pace of the match see very one complaining about the 'Large' blast zone (which don't seem that large). Example, skill player vs noob player on ST stage, most people would think that the match would be even because the noob could take advantage of the hazards but what if it was the other way around, what if the skill play did it. I don't no if it is consider cheating in the community to KO your opponent with a hazard, a hey, that just my thought

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Just throwing this in: We should not legalize stages that don't provide a balanced competitive arena, just because we want more legal stages. It's the game's fault for not having enough competitively balanced and fair stages, and we shouldn't feel as if having 'too few' legal stages is our fault. It's the developers'.

Wii U will have many more competitive balanced and fair stages, which is great and cathartic for those of us bummed out about how few 3ds stages are welcoming for the competitive play many of us enjoy.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Just throwing this in: We should not legalize stages that don't provide a balanced competitive arena, just because we want more legal stages. It's the game's fault for not having enough competitively balanced and fair stages, and we shouldn't feel as if having 'too few' legal stages is our fault. It's the developers'.

Wii U will have many more competitive balanced and fair stages, which is great and cathartic for those of us bummed out about how few 3ds stages are welcoming for the competitive play many of us enjoy.
Yes, and we should not ban stages without proper experimentation.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Yes, and we should not ban stages without proper experimentation.
I agree.

What exactly do you mean by "balanced competitive arena"? What is the balance you are trying to achieve?
This tone assumes I mean something bad. It's like telling someone "I like sushi", and having them react with "Wait, what do you mean "LIKE" sushi?! *angryface* " :p kidding of course

I mean the obvious - an arena that players agree - more often then not - most accurately and fairly determines who the more skilled player was and who outplayed their opponent.

It's subjective, but the point of us as a community trying different rulesets is to come to a conclusion. We can't get angry with the conclusion down the road if it isn't what we would ideally prefer the conclusion be, if the cause for the conclusion is developer-side.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
This tone assumes I mean something bad. It's like telling someone "I like sushi", and having them react with "Wait, what do you mean "LIKE" sushi?! *angryface* " :p kidding of course

I mean the obvious - an arena that players agree - more often then not - most accurately and fairly determines who the more skilled player was and who outplayed their opponent.

It's subjective, but the point of us as a community trying different rulesets is to come to a conclusion. We can't get angry with the conclusion down the road if it isn't what we would ideally prefer the conclusion be, if the cause for the conclusion is developer-side.
So why can Spirit tracks be legal, the hazards seem really telegraphic and doesn't seem that the fighters will be fighting the stage more than each other. Sorry, I just really like the stage and when I want to begin my professional tournament career (if I decide to) I really want this stage to be legal and not force to play on it unless it is in For glory mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom