• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
In regards to Gerudo and Spirit Tracks, those are easy answers.

Gerudo has a hazard that blocks off half of the stage and as far as I can tell it's random which side is chosen. The telegraph is pretty minimal and the effects last a while. Also, you can get stuck under the bridge when it closes and get eaten by the blast zone when it moves upwards.

Spirit Tracks is like Big Blue with it's floor, but you also have a HUGE part of the stage that can explode.

My recommendation: look at each stage before judging it.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I kinda disagree and see a lot of potential in these stages! Sorry very long post incoming, but I am blowing against the wind here so I kinda have to answer the whole thread? One thread to talk about every stage as well as general stage rules is... a little compressed!

So, I'm not really getting the issue with Rainbow Road. Isn't there a huge telegraph for the hazard with it doing low damage on hit? I had pretty much written off this stage as "obviously legal"; dodging cars was super easy in every past smash game so it's strange to me to think they could cause problems. I could get why people had an issue with PTAD since it was just so punishing to fail to avoid the cars and the lack of ledges on the stage also could really be an issue for some characters, but how often is a good player really going to get hit by cars on Rainbow Road? The track as a hazard also just doesn't make sense to me as a way of thinking; the "track" stages have the track replacing the lower blast zone so it pretty much just helps you. Either it saves you and you're better off or it hits hard enough to kill you and you're as well off as you would be if it weren't there (dead). Could you clarify how the play dynamics you're finding with this stage that are so bad?

Magicant I also have some confidence in even if I don't really know enough to be sure; Flying Man worried me at first, but then I saw he was hittable. How hard is he to kill for the other player? He seems to attack slowly and predictably so it's not like the offense he generates is going to be that oppressive unless you just can't get rid of him, and he doesn't just randomly pick on a character but someone has to go over and claim him so he's really only half a stage hazard and half a universal attack belonging to the charcters (kinda like throwable items spawned by stages).

I don't really see Tomodachi Life as very questionable. You can drop through every platform which means a straight line approach is always possible. If you cannot fundamentally approach your opponent always being able to move in a straight line especially with the advantages that attacking from below generally confers, it seems to me like it would probably be very, very hard to win that match-up on any stage (and any character who struggles with that is probably low tier). The visually jarring comment kinda confuses me; was that a serious statement? It doesn't seem relevant to legality.

If we allow walk-offs, that gives us Gaur Plains and probably Kirby's Dream Land too. I haven't seen every transformation of KDL yet, but every one I've seen has been very tame. If we don't, well, we don't have them, but it is two stages on the line that would otherwise be pretty solid which to me is a lot so we definitely need to really take it seriously as a concern.

What's "gross" about Corneria? I don't really get it. It kinda seems like its problems were addressed in the new engine, and that seems positive to me. What's giving you worry about the stage?

I kinda see the strength of the water on Jungle Japes like I see the track on Rainbow Road. Like, the only situations you touch the water are situations in which you get meteored into the lowest parts of the stage, and if there wasn't anything there, your baseline expectation would be to just die outright. There might be situations in which you would be meteored but not quite to the bottom, but no one would have a problem if the lower blast zone were just moved up a bit on an ordinary stage so we really have to look at it that way. That kinda means that fatality of whatever it doesn't can't really be considered hazardous; it maybe can help you in the right situation, and otherwise it just leaves you as poorly off as you would be if it weren't there (dead). This logic is very related to why I have very strong hopes for the new Mute City!

It hasn't really been brought up in this thread, but I think Pac Maze also looks like a pretty good stage. You can't really think about the name; the lay-out is just really vertical but otherwise tame so it's not like a "maze" like you'd think of Temple or whatever at all (it's maybe possible to circle camp the middle platform, but it seems like it would be hard). The hazards seem weak and seem to stick to the perimeters of the stage for the most part. The power-up mechanic seems pretty weak too; it seems like it takes a lot of work to get a pretty short term and small advantage power-up, but it definitely needs more testing to confirm what very precisely it does for you to get the power-up.

Also, I see some people talking about starter vs counterpick, and I feel like I should bring this up now. Legal/not legal is really the only way to be; we need to figure on every legal stage being valid for game one. The thing is that, logically as a player, learning counterpick stages is dumb. You always play on a starter game one and can counterpick a starter in game three. If you accept that against a similarly skilled player who focused on counterpicks you might just lose game two, you can focus on maximizing your winning odds for real just by learning starters and having an advantage on those stages. A rule system that actually punishes players for learning legal stages is pretty perverse if you really think about it. Small starter lists are also inherently awful since every stage favors some characters and a small starter list maximizes the odds that some character will get a huge advantage from your starter list and be artificially way better than they really deserve to be (Brawl Ice Climbers sure come to mind; it's too early to figure who it will be in smash 4 but with 51 characters it will probably always be someone if you really only use a small number like 3 or 5 stages). Large stage lists with good procedure also let you really deal with stuff. Let's say you have 13 legal stages and strike for game one. That means you only have to play game one on your 7th least favorite starter stage which if you're a reasonable player is probably a stage you don't mind too much with smaller stage lists increasing the odds that some subset of players will feel forced onto a bad stage game one. For game two let's say we use the system of loser picks three stages, winner picks one stage from the three and character, loser picks character, winner picks moveset, loser picks moveset. That would actually still allow for real counterpicking while also being a lot more efficient than stage bans at making sure you don't get screwed on the stage select screen, and that lets tournaments flow more smoothly with more inclusive stage lists.

I do agree that a fair number of these stages seem pretty obviously awful. Boxing Ring/Living Room/Balloon Fight/Gerudo Valley are a special kind of bad, and not much is going to save Flat Zone 2 or WarioWare Inc.. Unova Pokemon League and Find Mii I don't really know enough about to truly judge right now but I do see a lot of room for problems, and I don't really believe in Super Mario 3d World at all and am pretty okay with not really dealing with Mushroomy Kingdom, Spirit Train or Wily's Castle even if I am not convinced they're truly broken. Paper Mario I still haven't really gotten a chance to see in action so I don't even know; I do know we can't really make any decisions at all until Oct.3 comes around and we can really work together as a community to figure stuff out, but I'm following things very closely and actually feel pretty good about our stage count. It seems very hard for me to imagine we can't settle into a good, double digit number of legal stages (and fully legal, not counterpick only legal!).

As per omega forms, I propose the following simple rule for using them. If Final Destination is picked game one through striking, it will always be the real Final Destination. If it is counterpicked, whoever counterpicked it gets to specify which form with all forms being legal unless we find some strange broken thing about one of them but it's still always just considered one stage in total (so you can't use the multiple omega forms to get around stage bans or analagous systems). That should integrate them into tournaments fairly without in effect making Final Destination the only legal stage.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Magicant should be banned simply because it opens up the possibility of having effectively two opponents. The flying man may be killable and is certainly not as good as a human player, but that is still a factor that cannot be controlled or avoided and doesn't run out until killed. That's a big problem.

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Why not use the Omega version of the stages? ( Final Destination versions )
:094::094::094::094::094::094::094::094::094::094::094::094::094:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
With the Find Mii stage, there was a pic of the day that said the ghost guy causes status changes based on a character's color, with red characters getting powered up.

Can someone test if this is still a thing? Because if it is, it sounds like the second coming of WarioWare.

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
Whats wrong with hazards? I mean I'm legitimately asking.
This whole process of stage legality is meant to limit the players from fighting the stage more than each other. Stage hazards are viewed similarly to items, since their random and sometimes extremely chaotic elements provide unfair advantage to the player in the right place at the right time. This has little to do with skill, which is why a competitive environment calls for stage limitation.

I don't have access to the game yet so I can't offer much in the way of testing. But the find me stage was written off because it has a hazzard? From what I saw you can shoot the ultimate ghost with a lazer and he will go back into the background. If he does hit you or attack you it isn't enough to outright kill you even at high percentages.
It might be a good idea to compare stage hazards to the likes of Yellow Devil when considering their viability. Yellow Devil signals his entry to the stage, has a set pattern of movement and attacks, and doesn't offer one player a set advantage over the other. What damage he does do is also minimal, easily avoided, and extremely temporary. His biggest intrusion, his explosion, can only be activated by the fighters.

Dark Emperor is a bit more random, a bit more lethal, and a bit more unfair in general. He not only fights but also grants status boosts to fighters based on their color. More often than not, his appearance will detract the players' attention from one another. For that reason alone, a ban on this stage is justified. The platform arrangement of this stage really doesn't offer much that can't be found in its Final Destination counterpart, anyway. In fact, its second and slightly higher platform could prompt camping issues.

Air camping? Is this really an issue in this game? there is no more glide. All of the big stalls got hit very hard, wario falls faster and get much less out of his bike and has to commit much more to the direction he is moving in the air. MK's tornado is dead.
Air-camping won't be an issue in this game, but circle-camping can cause issues in any Smash game due to its platforming nature. People are worried about Guar Plains and Tomodachi Life not because you can stall in the air, but because their circular stage design could potentially allow fighters to run around in circles, stalling the game. Stall tactics are completely legitimate in the competitive scene, but only if its success is not guaranteed. This means that the opponent should be able to disrupt their stalling tactics to a reasonable degree. If you can't catch up to a fighter running in a constant circle, what's stopping that fighter from starting the match by jabbing you for 2% and then stalling out the rest of the match? That type of play cannot help our community grow.

Why is spirit tracks bad? Why is Gerudo bad? Just losely comparing these stages to old ones isn't enough. I am not a huge fan of Sprit tracks, but... is that enough of a reason to ban it? I really like Gerudo Valley, but is that a reason it should stay?
This thread and similar discussions exist to ensure we don't base our rules and setups based on individual opinions. It's a collective effort, and that's why we're taking the time to argue in the first place. The Smash community has always been fantastic about this in the past. Once the pros and cons and this and that have been hashed out, we usually see a singular rule set used nationwide.

I'd be surprised if either Spirit Tracks or Gerudo Valley see legality. Both have very, very disruptive stage hazards and both take away emphasis on recovery. Spirit Tracks has rotating cars, exploding cars, and a damaging/killing floor. Gerudo has walk-offs, a pit with spikes and changing blast zones, and witches that set half the stage on fire or ice. It's a very cool stage, granted, but it doesn't have a place in tournament play.

We have to ask ourselves what do we as a community want from our stage lists? No stage hazards and no random elements? No walk offs? FD only? And THEN we need to answer why are we choosing this path and what whether what we gain is worth what we lose. (P.S. I think we should get rid of neutrals and counter picks. there are no neutral stages...)
Primarily, we want our stages to fulfill either of two roles: to provide a starting ground that is as fair to both fighters as possible; or to provide an environment that slightly favors one fighter over the other. Stages that match the former become our starters, and those that match the latter become our counterpicks. It is important to have both kinds of stages in a tournament setting. Otherwise, there's potential that one fighter may have advantage in a set right off the bat, and that hinders the tournament's ability to determine skill.

Personally I feel the wider the stage list the more appeal the game will have to a wider group of people (I.E. spectators). For YEARS competitive melee WAS played on Mute city and brinstar and a plethra of random stage hazard levels. We went to MLG with these stage lists. And Top players were STILL top players their wins weren't swiped away by randoms who were letting the stage win. I don't think narrowing down the stage list to flat stages with platforms offers enough variety to millions of people; these potential new competitive players and viewers; who buy the game for these crazy stages.
A larger stage roster doesn't necessarily mean a larger audience. Spectators aren't interested in how well a professional player can maneuver around stage obstacles. They're interested in the contest between two highly skilled individuals. If a stage distracts from that contest, we would see less interest in the scene. Remember that it's not our goal to market to as much people as possible. We are a competitive community first and foremost. Sure, we can play the game for casual fun like anyone else, but when it comes to discussions and decisions such as these, it's important to maintain a mindset of competition.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Magicant should be banned simply because it opens up the possibility of having effectively two opponents. The flying man may be killable and is certainly not as good as a human player, but that is still a factor that cannot be controlled or avoided and doesn't run out until killed. That's a big problem.
But... he can be controlled? He doesn't do anything until someone goes over and claims him, and then after a player takes action, he does a predictable set of general actions even if there's some small degree of variation. What is that if not controlling him at least in the same sense Diddy's rocket barrels were controlled by him even though after he set them off by getting hit in the right way they were an independent actor (faster and less predictable than Flying Man at that)? It's an interesting question I can't answer whether he's too powerful (will need some good testing), but I don't really see how he reduces the agency of the players in the match at all since any advantages you get from Flying Man are going to stem from your actions in activating him and not from the stage just randomly attacking your opponent.

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
But... he can be controlled? He doesn't do anything until someone goes over and claims him, and then after a player takes action, he does a predictable set of general actions even if there's some small degree of variation. What is that if not controlling him at least in the same sense Diddy's rocket barrels were controlled by him even though after he set them off by getting hit in the right way they were an independent actor (faster and less predictable than Flying Man at that)? It's an interesting question I can't answer whether he's too powerful (will need some good testing), but I don't really see how he reduces the agency of the players in the match at all since any advantages you get from Flying Man are going to stem from your actions in activating him and not from the stage just randomly attacking your opponent.
It only requires minimal effort to gain Flying Man as an ally. A single jab or a projectile hit from afar gaining you that much control and momentum is hardly balanced gameplay. Magicant is a great stage, and as much nostalgia as it brings me personally, there's just no way it should see legal play. Flying Man really is that ridiculous.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It only requires minimal effort to gain Flying Man as an ally. A single jab or a projectile hit from afar gaining you that much control and momentum is hardly balanced gameplay. Magicant is a great stage, and as much nostalgia as it brings me personally, there's just no way it should see legal play. Flying Man really is that ridiculous.
How much control and momentum? You are asserting implicitly here it's a lot, but you aren't proving it. I mean, if it really is a huge amount and massively swings the game just because someone could get over there faster, sure we should ban it. But I don't find it obvious at all that it will actually be all that much of an advantage. It could just as easily be, and to me actually seems really likely to be, that it will be really easy to do a strategically planned retreat upon Flying Man activation to somewhere Flying Man can get to you much faster than your opponent, Flying Man will do some inevitable very unsafe attack, you punish hard, and he's dead without doing much of anything for his ally beyond getting a bit of stage control since you had to back up a bit to set up for that. I mean, I can't say for sure it's that way, but I'm saying you can't say for sure it's not so it's way too early to write this stage off. Only after we've thoroughly explored its mechanics and can explain in detail how Flying Man works will we have enough information to conclude he is a ban-worthy element. That is the core point I'm trying to make here.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Because of the change to defensive mechanics, should stages banned for camping be looked at again? I don't understand what's so bad about Distant Planet when the rain detracts from camping the walkoff and the slant provides the opponent easy poking opportunities with little grab risk.

If nothing has changed from Brawl, the Bulborb is easy to work around and doesn't even try to eat until it opens its mouth iirc.

Last edited:

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
How much control and momentum? You are asserting implicitly here it's a lot, but you aren't proving it. I mean, if it really is a huge amount and massively swings the game just because someone could get over there faster, sure we should ban it. But I don't find it obvious at all that it will actually be all that much of an advantage. It could just as easily be, and to me actually seems really likely to be, that it will be really easy to do a strategically planned retreat upon Flying Man activation to somewhere Flying Man can get to you much faster than your opponent, Flying Man will do some inevitable very unsafe attack, you punish hard, and he's dead without doing much of anything for his ally beyond getting a bit of stage control since you had to back up a bit to set up for that. I mean, I can't say for sure it's that way, but I'm saying you can't say for sure it's not so it's way too early to write this stage off. Only after we've thoroughly explored its mechanics and can explain in detail how Flying Man works will we have enough information to conclude he is a ban-worthy element. That is the core point I'm trying to make here.
What you're saying makes perfect sense, but realize we've already seen this stage in action quite a bit through the constant streams going on. There are plenty of videos of every stage and every stage hazard that they contain. We'll definitely need to experiment with some stages to a greater degree, but in the case of Magicant, Flying Man is a clear powerhouse and only causes problems for the opponent. I am not allowed to post links since this is a new account, but just look up any video on it and you'll see how prevalent he is. He can be swiped away with a few attacks, but that's not really the issue. The issue is that Flying Man creates a 2 vs. 1 scenario that the controlling player can exploit to a large degree. In your post, you assume that any player will just allow their opponent to remove Flying Man from play, and that's not what's going to go down. Flying Man's moves actually appear to have pretty great priority, and his hitboxes are long-lasting, similar to sex kicks. Players will have to dance around him simply to avoid the extra damage and knockback he provides. Assuming they successfully get rid of him, there's nothing preventing Flying Man from spawning a minute or two later to continue the aggression.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I have seen this stage in zero streams

and most streams, even from top players, aren't exactly showcasing top-level play for this game. We're still quite early. And everyone who's playing wants to learn character knowledge, not stage-knowledge.

I'd like us to err on the side of optimism for these stages. I've watched hours of streams and have only seen 2 stages in this game: FD (omega modes) and Battlefield. It's getting boring.

Last edited:

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
I have seen this stage in zero streams

and most streams, even from top players, aren't exactly showcasing top-level play for this game. We're still quite early. And everyone who's playing wants to learn character knowledge, not stage-knowledge.

I'd like us to err on the side of optimism for these stages. I've watched hours of streams and have only seen 2 stages in this game: FD (omega modes) and Battlefield. It's getting boring.
Firstly, if you're only seeing two stages in the streams you watch, I think you ought to switch streams. Of course that'd be boring. Secondly, you can get video of any stage in the game with a simple Google or YouTube search. There's quite a lot of footage on each one, enough so that we can safely determine the extent of certain hazards like Flying Man. Approaching bans and legality cautiously and with an open mind is always a good thing, and I think nearly everyone here agrees with that notion. But that's no reason to dismiss a stage from being banned when it can rather definitely be determined imbalanced.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
If the Omega stages could've just had a few exceptions where they had some platforms, this entire discussion thread wouldn't be needed. Darnit, Sakurai, why can't you do some research on your own game?

I'm afraid there's only 4 to 6 non-Omega stages that look even remotely legit for fair play, and that's being optimistic.

Life

Smash Hero
Lots of familiar faces in this thread. Stage Rage 2.0?

I think it's too early to call stage legality for sure. I hate to say it, but from what I watched, most people playing Smash 4 right now are shockingly bad at some things (mainly edgeguarding) which could have a huge impact on what stages are okay and what stages aren't.

My region's planning on testing a very large stage list at our first 3DS tournament (New Hope, Oct 18th), we'll see how it goes.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Lots of familiar faces in this thread. Stage Rage 2.0?

I think it's too early to call stage legality for sure. I hate to say it, but from what I watched, most people playing Smash 4 right now are shockingly bad at some things (mainly edgeguarding) which could have a huge impact on what stages are okay and what stages aren't.

My region's planning on testing a very large stage list at our first 3DS tournament (New Hope, Oct 18th), we'll see how it goes.
Some stages are in good hands and look clearly viable from the get go. I'll give you that there's a lot of grey areas in some stages, but I think it's good to start with a larger stage list as well and seek out the outliers which are generally and competitively unfavorable.

Imo, there's the obvious stages to take out (Unova League, for instance, with the stairs being a huge problem along with Reshiram and Zekrom) but there's stages that need more study in the field.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
The problem with walkoffs has always been that you can just camp the sides and reduce the game to very few interactions before somebody wins (either you grab and bthrow for the kill or you get hit and die 2-5 times and that's the match). The only way I could theoretically see walkoff stages become competitively usable would be if most of the cast got projectiles with enough knockback to disrupt a walkoff camper, which doesn't seem to be the case for this iteration (although custom moves go a long way towards making this possible).

Oatmealski

The Hero of Oatmeal (and chin beards too).
3DS FC
1821-9353-4818
We also cannot question the legality of stage only a few days after a JP release. We should wait until we have Smash 4 events, then what we should do is have a basic stagelist, and then just collect data from tourneys. We should then question a stage's legality depending on how difficult it is to play on the stage.

Life

Smash Hero
We also cannot question the legality of stage only a few days after a JP release. We should wait until we have Smash 4 events, then what we should do is have a basic stagelist, and then just collect data from tourneys. We should then question a stage's legality depending on how difficult it is to play on the stage.
True, to a point. I doubt anyone would suggest testing Hyrule Temple again (did that make it back?)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Anyone who's trying to win is going to run to the walkoff and wait for their opponent to approach once they're up a stock.
Isn't this where the increased blast zones would come into play? If you're waiting far enough back where a backthrow could kill instantly, then wouldn't you also be far enough that you'd be offscreen and taking constant damage?

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
The problem with walkoffs has always been that you can just camp the sides and reduce the game to very few interactions before somebody wins (either you grab and bthrow for the kill or you get hit and die 2-5 times and that's the match).
What makes this different from someone staying near the ledge of the stage in order to get an early gimp?

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
Isn't this where the increased blast zones would come into play? If you're waiting far enough back where a backthrow could kill instantly, then wouldn't you also be far enough that you'd be offscreen and taking constant damage?
That doesn't matter in the slightest.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
NO, WE CANT START WITH A SMAL STAGE LIST THEN EXPAND!!
NOOOOOO!!!!

Now that I have you attention, allow me to rationally explain:
Starting with a small list then expanding would be impeding growth of the game. Say we start with 6 stages for tournaments and leave the rest for experimentation because they seem too questionable. But it's going to be a Veeeerry long time before everyone has a clear grasp of the game, and by that time people will be so used to the 6 stage list that they won't use the new stages confirmed to be playable because that means more time they have to spend learning a brand new stage and what matchups work on it. This impedes any potential and interesting gameplay the other, now determined legal stages could provide.

This has happened before in the community, Mithost describes one instance in a separate thread (on stock & time limit for the game)

"Shortly after Brawl came out, there was a very vocal concern that a "Meta Knight Banned" rule should be implemented because the game would be better off with it in place. While a large portion of the community agreed that a Meta Knight banning should be explored and tried out, those in charge of the initial rule set and those who were supportive of those people continuously declined the change on the premise that the game/meta was too new. A few years later when the game is officially not new anymore, the same ban proposal gets kicked aside because nobody wants to have to pick a new character/relearn the game after spending the entire "game is new" period as Meta Knight. When the ban was finally implemented, it took less than two weeks until entire regions dismissed the rule set as a joke and started running MK legal tournaments again.
But banning a character is a large change to make. Surely when we propose a slightly smaller change a shorter time after release, the community will be much more willing to switch, right?
GOML wasn't the first 1 Stock Brawl tournament. A 2011 tournament called Concentrate II had a similar tournament to GOML, that being a 1 Stock 3 Minute Brawl bracket with Nairo, ADHD, Ally, Salem, and many others in attendance. While people pushed for 1 Stock to become the norm, the rule set committees and TOs said the same thing they did to the Meta Knight ban. The game was either too new (when the rule set was first proposed back in late 2010) or too old for people to accept the change (GOML and Concentrate II)"

Also someone made the good point earlier that cutting a majority of stages off the bat, at least initially, is going to cut out a huge population of the games owners who enjoy the zanzy stages and makes the scene more intimidating to join. Yes I understand that the scene should shape itself for the players first then an audience, but people are always talking about wanting the scene to be bigger, better, more recognizable. Well the casual audience is the way to get all of those. But more importantly it makes it more inviting for new people to join and play alongside us, which is the biggest priority when expanding our presence.

@<3 made the point last page that there was a time when we went to MLG Melee with Mute City and Rainbow Cruise as part of the legal stage list, yet there was still a very clear distinction between the best and the rest, despite the 'random' factors. So my proposal is this: We Start All Our Events With All Stages On, Then widdle It Down In Time When They've Been Proven, Without A Doubt, That They're Un-Playable In A Tournament Setting. We did this with Melee, and it worked out extremely well, and in time we reduced the stage list as players themselves determined otherwise with live examples as to why they would be particularly unfair. The list evolved alongside the game and changed appropriately with the kind of game the community was shaping the game into, and this approach we need to do the same with Sm4sh.

We can't base our criteria on previous games because they won't be relevant with this one. We can still debate, determine which stages we should have a closer eye on, but we ultimately won't have anything conclusive until we have actual players using them in actual tournaments. We can test all we want but it's not going to be the same as a living, breathing person using human ingenuity at the heat of the moment. So I think it'll be better if we give every stage a chance first, once there's enough definitive presentations of broken gameplay and strategies being implemented, then we'll have solid evidence to provide when people ask "why is this banned!?"

The last thing I'll leave you guys is this, we NEED to come to some kind of common agreement about stage legality or this debate isn't going to advance anything, yes I know values vary widely but if everyone can come to an agreement on 4 things I think we'll all be mush better off, and we can spend more time actually debating the topic instead of having to explain each
others views.

1. What is defined as Intrusive gameplay?

2. What criteria must a stage hazard (or stage as a whole) must meet in order to be considered 'Intrusive to the competition'?

3.What criteria must a stage hazard (or stage as a whole) must meet in order to be considered 'un-predictable and non-telegraphed'?

4. What should an ideal stage provide to benefit both the competitors and for a viewing audience?

I would like everyone who read this post to give their views on these 4 points, as it will help everybody understand each other, streamline communication and ideas better and we will have a uniform base to work with when truly determining what stages should be considered legal.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
That doesn't matter in the slightest.
Why not? Unless I'm severely misinterpreting your argument, you're claiming that camping the edge of the stage is a superior position due to the potential for easy throw kills. However, if camping this position means you are taking constant damage just doing nothing, then it hardly seems like such a good idea to me. For starters, the other player can just watch your damage increase with literally no effort.

(This is predicated on the idea that the large blast zones require such a camping spot to be offscreen.)

Last edited:

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
Why not? Unless I'm severely misinterpreting your argument, you're claiming that camping the edge of the stage is a superior position due to the potential for easy throw kills. However, if camping this position means you are taking constant damage just doing nothing, then it hardly seems like such a good idea to me. For starters, the other player can just watch your damage increase with literally no effort.

(This is predicated on the idea that the large blast zones require such a camping spot to be offscreen.)
They can do that all they want. I have absolutely no reason to move from the blast zone where I can kill them at 0 and I'm already at kill percent anyway.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
NOOOOOO!!!!

Yes, total agree on this. Thank you. Stages can be banned later, but banning now is probably banning forever and banning stuff we really don't understand would be more than a little horrible.

1. What is defined as Intrusive gameplay?

2. What criteria must a stage hazard (or stage as a whole) must meet in order to be considered 'Intrusive to the competition'?

3.What criteria must a stage hazard (or stage as a whole) must meet in order to be considered 'un-predictable and non-telegraphed'?

4. What should an ideal stage provide to benefit both the competitors and for a viewing audience?

I would like everyone who read this post to give their views on these 4 points, as it will help everybody understand each other, streamline communication and ideas better and we will have a uniform base to work with when truly determining what stages should be considered legal.
I'll do my best here even though you don't really frame things in the way I usually approach stages.

1. I don't really tend to think in those terms but instead on the final effect on players demonstrating their skill. If a stage introduces significant variance into the results such that a better player is significantly less likely to win than he would be otherwise, it's a problem with the major note that "better" includes actually learning to play on every stage. So if I'm a better player than you such that I generally beat you 80% of the time but a stage has a random or disruptive dynamic that defines the outcomes and gives fairly arbitrary favor to one player such that I only win 60% of the time there (and we're sure that's the reason and the reason isn't that I just didn't practice the stage), it's a problem. If I still keep my win rate, the stuff the stage does isn't a problem since it's merely changing how the game plays and not actually making the game worse.

A stage is also ban-worthy if it really just breaks match-ups. Like if Fox vs Bowser is 60-40 Fox in general but 100-0 Fox on Temple because Fox can run away the whole match, obviously the stage is banned even though the stage doesn't actually do anything at all. Any degenerate tactic will necessarily either break match-ups or introduce tons of variance (a 100% degenerate stage would have a 50-50 win rate for all players) so I find these tests sufficient for all cases.

2. I think I overdid it on answer 1 and answered this?

3. I believe we should assume all tournaments players have perfect knowledge of game mechanics since a lack of knowledge is always a legitimate reason to lose. From the assumption of your players having perfect knowledge, we should look at what the stage can do that the perfect knowledge can't perfectly predict and see how reasonable it is to react to. How much time (like in frames) from the first tell the stage gives for a hazard exists, how much does the hazard require a player to change his otherwise default course of action upon that tell being made, how long (frames again) should it take a player to make that adjustment, and what is the magnitude of change in advantages that random event causes? If any of these values lead to a situation where the player can't properly react or the random event when responded to competently still has an expected outcome of a large change in advantage, it's going to be ban-worthy. If the players have lots of time and the event occurring doesn't fundamentally change who is going to win the match, it's not intrusive.

4. A reality of the game we play is that no stage is fair; every stage offers some characters and competitors advantages and disadvantages over others, and we're always looking for ways to give a maximum number viability. Each stage also has different gameplay intrinsically and requires players to learn to play in a greater array of conditions to win. An ideal stage is a component in a system that overall maximizes the gameplay variety and thus the magnitude of the skill test of a competitive player. Competitors are rewarded by a game that has overall more competitive depth as there's simply more skill that needs to be built on the road to be the best. Spectators are rewarded with a greater variety of fresh experiences to watch unfold. So in that sense, no one stage could ever be ideal and a ruleset of few stages is always bad no matter which stages you pick, but you can have stages work great in conjuction with each other to make the best experience for all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I seriously see nothing wrong with Arena Ferox, Lumiose (I mean, no chaingrabs, and the walk-off isn't there for very long.), and Tortimer's.

Also, what's the take on Omega forms being used? It could add alot of visual variety, but for the most part when people talk about legal stages I see it being ignored.

On the whole though, I think people are too stuck in the Melee/PM mentality right now and are banning stages WAY too quickly.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Okay, so Ryker and I went through and categorized all the Omega stages.

They are all exactly the same length (5 of Robin's Back-rolls). As far as we can tell, their blast zones also seem the same, though we have not tested this super stringently. In terms of shapes, there are 4 'Types', with Arena Ferox and Magicant being special cases. We are also missing Flat Zone 2 and possibly one other stage? (How unlock?)

'Default FD' Versions (2):
Final Destination
Battlefield

'Wall' Versions (20):
New Super Mario Bros
Paper Mario
Mushroomy Kingdom
Gerudo Valley
Yoshi's Island
GB Dreamland
N's Castle
Wily's Castle
Reset Bomb Forest
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
Tortimer Island
Balloon Fight (Note: The Water obscures view of the player)
Punch Out
Nintendogs
Find Mii
Tomodachi Life
Pictochat
Green Hill Zone
Pac-Maze

'Smashville' Versions (6):
Mario 3D World
Rainbow Road
Spirit Tracks
Japes (Looks like it has a wall, but doesn't.)
Prism Tower
SNES F-Zero

'Brinstar' Versions (3): These are shaped like BF/FD but are shorter vertically.
Brinstar
Corneria
Gaur Plains

Arena Ferox: Special case. This is what I'm calling the 'Stadium' variant, but it is the only one of its kind. It has a Smashville lip that turns into a flat wall half-way down.

Magicant: Special case. Shaped like the default, but is asymmetrical between the left/right sides as far as we can tell.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos : Do you currently have a copy of the game, or are you making your assertions about Magicant (and other stages) based on videos and inference?
I honestly don't have anything better than the demo (so I've been exploring the engine with... really limited content, but I have been learning a fair bit about gameplay dynamics so I'm not totally blind), but that's kinda why I'm framing things in terms of questions and possibilities and don't really feel like I've been making "assertions" like that. My only assertion on Magicant is that we don't know how strong the Flying Man is overall and that it's possible and even plausible that a strong player could be able to easily mitigate him. Maybe that's not possible, and I've said that in that case the stage would be ban-worthy. I'm pretty much just trying to say that we need to avoid jumping the gun until we really understand these dynamics well which currently no one does while I'm also (legitimately) asking for some clarification on your positions on some stages. Like the only thing you said against Corneria was that it was "gross", and I honestly don't know what you meant by that. You said Rainbow Road seemed ban-worthy when that really just defies my intuition and current knowledge very hard, and I was just asking for you to clarify your position there and the kind of testing you've done so I can understand better where you're coming from. So like... I'm really less trying to assert stuff and more just asking stuff while suggesting a broad lack of knowledge exists in general which is perhaps obvious but probably worth saying anyway.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure a majority of the posters in this thread don't have the game; we're all pretty much just stuck waiting, and all we can do until October 3 is ask a whole lot of questions. I've been trying very hard to avoid representing knowledge I don't have and instead just focus on asking critical questions while also taking positions that are more about abstract principles and game theory than gameplay specifics; if my posts came off differently than that, I legitimately apologize as that was not my intention. You had better believe that within a week of US launch I'll be able to tell you the exact physics of that Flying Man and anything else you might want to know; you don't know how badly I wish I could have responded to this situation with a wall of hand gathered data and not just a bunch of questions and possibilities, but I'm doing my best out of this uneven situation Nintendo created...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll get back to you on the stuff you raised with more detailed explanations and such. This was admittedly mostly 'first pass' stuff, because we've (Ryker and myself) been unlocking stuff and testing 600 billion things for the past 72 hours, and stages have not received the bulk of the attention (probably about 4-5 hours so far)

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Okay, so Ryker and I went through and categorized all the Omega stages.
We are also missing Flat Zone 2 and possibly one other stage? (How unlock?)
Flat Zone 2 is unlocked by clearing the first page of challenges
The other stage you're missing is Mute City, which is unlocked simply by winning with Captain Falcon 3 times.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Flat Zone 2 is unlocked by clearing the first page of challenges
The other stage you're missing is Mute City, which is unlocked simply by winning with Captain Falcon 3 times.
I have Mute City, just forgot to add it to my OP. We got it after the fact.

Thanks though!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Doesn't Tortimer's island drop fruit? Or is that only when Items are turned on?

BooSex

Smash Rookie
NOOOOOO!!!!
I agree... We should start with a small stagelist... and then NOT expand.

To be completely honest, there are multiple reasons for this. For one, it is going to happen anyways. The stagelist started off with plenty of completely unviable stages which were completely unnecessary and only harmed gameplay. Although there were plenty of instances where the stage did not polarize the match, it happened enough to completely sap the competitive practicality of the stage. At what is likely the end of Brawl's competitive life span, we have a much more condensed stagelist which enhances competitive gameplay while also giving players the options they need to counter with a stage this better benefits their own playstyle against their opponents'. There's no reason to have a bulk of stages which have random elements. There is a valid reason TKBreezy recommended the newest Project:M stagelist which is currently being used at Xanadu tournaments. It's not even necessarily that the cut stages are bad for competitive gameplay, it's just that they are unnecessary and only add more stages for one person to ban. There are a lot of unique stages in this game, but they either have elements that negatively affect what is meant to be a competition between a number of people by interfering with the match more than they need to, or are somewhat unnecessary because they possess similar competitive elements that another stage already offers to one person.

I'm somewhat unsure as to what a stager such as Tortimer is being discussed as legal. The random layout doesn't help anyone and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no lower blast zone. I'm not completely sure about this as I've never seen anyone interact with the water in the stage so if you fall through it that's a bit better. There's also a shark and fruit that grows on the trees, which are elements which can be abused needlessly.

Finally, we do NOT need more than one version of Final Destination in the ruleset. The primary element the stage offers is the lack of platforms above the main one, which can be very polarizing in particular matchups, especially with characters that are going to rely on camping and completely keeping the opponent out. The new versions have different blast zones and particular stage walls. I don't believe there's any reason we really need to use any of the Omega forms, but if we really want to, I believe we should have them all as one stage (including the original version) and just have a method of selection after the counterpick if we really think they should be used. But that means if you don't want, say, a high ceiling in the matchup, but don't mind the lack of platforms, you HAVE to ban Final Destination because it gives the opponent the ability to counter-pick Japes Omega if you do not. It's preferable to just ban the Omega forms altogether and just leave that to For Glory/casual play, unless we can create a good system to balance it.

So, after a real explanation, what I posted earlier in this thread is honestly what I believe to be the best stage list for tournament play:
Starter:
Battlefield
Luminose City
Yoshi's Island

Counter-Pick:
Arena Ferox
Final Destination

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm somewhat unsure as to what a stager such as Tortimer is being discussed as legal. The random layout doesn't help anyone and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no lower blast zone. I'm not completely sure about this as I've never seen anyone interact with the water in the stage so if you fall through it that's a bit better. There's also a shark and fruit that grows on the trees, which are elements which can be abused needlessly.
You'll forgive me for only addressing this part, but it's late. I just wanted to point out that the water in Smash 4 is basically Melee water, i.e. thick air at best. Swimming as a mechanic where you tread water is no longer a thing. I've never personally seen the shark do anything, and I think the fruit heals you for a few %? I honestly don't see what the issue is.

The random elements boil down to whether the pier, and thus the grabbable ledge, is on the left or right side, and how the tree platforms are arranged.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Warning Received
Just play in the Omega Mode variation of the stages. There, problem solved :p

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Just play in the Omega Mode variation of the stages. There, problem solved :p
I'm so mad that they missed that perfect opportunity to make so many legal stages.

Just add different types of platforms to each FD stage and we get like 30 legal stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom