• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
So... let's restore this thread to talking about leaks and rumors.

Personally, the only leak that I believe in the slightest is the Salromano (aka E3 NeoGAF/Wii Fit Trainer) Leak. Predicting the Wii Fit Trainer was not impossible; it's the other things surrounding the rumor that make me inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. For example, they haven't tried to use their popularity to leak a bunch of stuff to the world; this makes the initial leak more believable. Also, Pac-Man, Miis, and Little Mac are three of the most likely characters to appear even without the leak. Finally, those three are simple characters who I have no doubt could have been prepared at the time--the leaker didn't mention the likes of, say, Rosalina, as she may have been still causing problems for the team, and the leaker probably didn't see her.

I don't believe the Translator Leak in the slightest. The story is so ludicrous and the leak itself so... generic.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
So... let's restore this thread to talking about leaks and rumors.

Personally, the only leak that I believe in the slightest is the Salromano (aka E3 NeoGAF/Wii Fit Trainer) Leak. Predicting the Wii Fit Trainer was not impossible; it's the other things surrounding the rumor that make me inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. For example, they haven't tried to use their popularity to leak a bunch of stuff to the world; this makes the initial leak more believable. Also, Pac-Man, Miis, and Little Mac are three of the most likely characters to appear even without the leak. Finally, those three are simple characters who I have no doubt could have been prepared at the time--the leaker didn't mention the likes of, say, Rosalina, as she may have been still causing problems for the team, and the leaker probably didn't see her.

I don't believe the Translator Leak in the slightest. The story is so ludicrous and the leak itself so... generic.
Well not only that but this is from Sakurai in 2010 regarding animal crossing:
And of course, we looked at games like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs, where there aren't really any characters that lend themselves to fighting, and we decided not to include characters from those series as fighting characters.
Of course I never really bought that. I think you can make just about every character work but often when I or other posters would bring up an AC representative it would be shot down based upon this quote. And while MegaMan was really wanted how many people actually had him on their prediction lists?

The three that were revealed all had an unbelievable aspect to them. So I'm inclined to think this one is the most credible as well.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You know, regardless of any other characters being confirmed/cut (within reason... if CF is cut, I'll riot), any roster with Isaac on it, in addition to the already confirmed characters, would make me happy

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
Alright, I need to step in briefly to talk about the most interesting "leak" I have seen, the Trip to Namco leak by Toots. This one is notable because of the insane amount of detail the leaker put into it, including actual photos of Namco. I will apply the questions I proposed in my last post about analyzing leaks more thoroughly. If the leaker offers more information or evidence, I will update this post.

1) What motivation would someone have to leak information about this game to a bunch of strangers on the internet?

I think this is the most important question, and it make me doubt the veracity of this leak the most. It's safe to assume that there are very few outsiders who are invited to tour the inside offices of Namco, and even fewer who get to play demos of unfinished games. The circumstances of the visit might have involved winning a contest, having a family member or friend on the inside, or working with Namco as a freelancer and getting a courtesy tour. No matter how he got to visit, I think it's also safe to assume that Namco asked him to not talk about anything he saw relating to unreleased games. They also probably didn't allow him to take photographs of the Smash demo, although it is odd he that he didn't mention trying.

My point is, the detailed story and photographs he posted clearly implicate the leaker. If he didn't want to be caught leaking or get on the bad side of people who trusted him to keep a secret, he wouldn't include so much specific information that the people who gave him the tour would recognize. Unless there is another reason the leaker wouldn't care about his hosts knowing his betrayal (maybe Namco isn't as secretive as Nintendo and forgot to make him sign something?) I don't think anyone would risk their reputation over telling a bunch of strangers insider information.

I'll address this more later, but it's worth noting that he came to Smashboards before he went to a legitimate news site or any other forum. He also chose to make a brand new account for the occasion.

2) What evidence does the leaker offer?

Well, not much. We get some information we won't be able to verify until the game releases (and the leaker conveniently left a lot of things very vague) and three photographs of Namco's studio in Tokyo. After looking online at other photographs of Namco, it is clear that the second and third images were taken inside the main lobby. I wasn't able to determine if the first image was actually in Namco's offices, and frankly it's the only photo that matters. There are countless youtube videos and blog posts by people who were able to go inside Namco's main lobby to play on the plethora of arcade machines there (which the leaker mentions doing), but a major thing that would help the leaker's credibility is establishing if he was able to go a step further than most people by entering the back offices. But even that would not prove that he saw Smash.

It has been shown by other sleuths in this thread that the image dimensions are all different, suggesting that they could have been resized from a video. I searched google and youtube for a little while, but I couldn't find any videos of Namco tours that had the exact same images (and they could easily be taken from multiple sources). If anyone wants to disprove this leak, finding a video that matches would probably be the easiest way, because it would prove that the leaker didn't even take pictures of Namco in the first place.

Another poster in this thread mentioned that Toot's photobucket account was linked to an animal crossing forum. I couldn't find said forum, assuming his username there is Teekycres. I will examine the forum if you can link me to it. It would be suspicious if he really was posting on January 17 and didn't mention his trip, assuming he mentions other things about his private life on that account.

3) How easy was it to create the leak?

Relatively easy, but much more thought was put into this leak than the others. He offers photographs, a plausible backstory, and exactly the kind of information one would get from a short demo. It seems like a lot of trouble for the express purpose of trolling, especially if he ripped images from an obscure video tour of Namco. On the other hand maybe he visited Namco, already had the pictures, and wanted to make up a leak for fun. In that case it would have been a lot easier.

4) Do you want the leak to be true?
5) Similarly, do you think a leak is unlikely given the proposed roster or game modes?

These can be answered together. Personally, I think the characters he mentioned would be interesting additions to the roster, but I would have never guessed that a character from Other M would make it. Shulk and Issac sound like they came from a fanboy's dream roster. That makes me slightly biased against the leak, so keep that in mind as you read my analysis.

6) Where did the leak come from?

This is where we need to do some detective work to learn as much as we can about Toots (otherwise known as Teekycres, or Tom Cresci, based on his photobucket profile). What follows are the notable links I have found about him using these names. Other posters might have already posted some of this.

Facebook: Tom Cresci's facebook page is mostly private (and may be changed to fully private after he sees this) but from what I can gather, he is interested in fighting games, specifically Soul Caliber, Tekken, and Smash. That could imply that he has been following the leaks for Smash 4, and maybe that he would try to get a tour of Namco if he could. He also works at Open Road Integrated Media in post production. The company is a digital book publisher, and I can't find any connection between that and Namco, so it is unlikely that his work brought him there.

Smashboards facebook story: On August 28th, 2013 Smashboards was hit by a DDOS attack. The facebook page posted a link to the Kotaku story, which Tom Cresci commented on: "Are you ****ing kidding me. I dont want to say anything, but I swear tio god if its Marvel scrubs..." This suggests that he was active on Smashboards back in August, and probably has another account here right now. Why wouldn't he post his leak on his established account to give it credibility? It also confirms his interest in multiple fighting game communities.

Long Island Smash Tournament: On May 18th, 2013, he attended a smash tournament. This also shows his competitive interest in the game. It implies that he lives on the East Coast somewhere around Long Island. If he did indeed take those pictures of Namco, he would have had to actually take a trip to Japan.

In a similar vein, he has attended smash tournaments using this very site, although I couldn't figure out his account name in either of these threads. Let me know if any of you can determine what his alternate account is. Assuming he knew about competitive smash, follows the rumors and leaks, and loves fighting games, something really bothers me about his story: Why wouldn't he choose to play as the new completely unrevealed characters to learn more about them? I sort of understand him choosing Rosalina, but then he picks Marth over Shulk, Issac, and Adam. The way the story is currently set up, he picked the safest characters to describe. If he had picked any other newcomers, he would have had to invent their move set from scratch if he is lying.

7) How many other leakers have taken a shot at predicting similar things?

There have been plenty of leaks that predict all of the characters mentioned by Toots. More interestingly, I remember another poster in this thread suggesting that a leak would be more believable if the leaker was in a realistic scenario, like playing one round of the game during a lunch break with Sakurai, rather than having insider information on the development history of the game. It's possible that Toots saw that post and took it to heart when creating his leak.

8) Do one or two correct details guarantee the rest of a leak to be true?

Obviously not, and we will have to remember this even if characters such as Shulk and Adam become spoiled. The leaker has tried to give himself some leeway by repeating that he saw an incomplete version of the final game, allowing him to later claim that they must have significantly changed things from what he saw.

So, that is my analysis. I hope other people continue to look up Tom Cresci and find other accounts he has used here or elsewhere. Maybe he has a history of fake leaks. I'd also love to see that animal crossing forum. And Toots, if you are reading this, feel free to comment on my speculation and add more evidence.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Read it again, It saddens me that people hype this up so much, play only for a few months then just drop it for something else. (that's what happened during the brawl period)

But again do whatever, it doesn't matter what I say, I'm not controlling your decisions. I just felt like giving my opinion.
I hear that and i respect that but if anything i think its sad that brawls hype and speculation was better than the game itself what can i say...sometime the build up to stuff is better than the climax which is not intended to be but yh.....**** Happenz....

My opinion ofc

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I very much doubt toots is legit. Could be but his story makes no sense. Especially picking Marth over the newcomers. That and the terrible quality photos is what takes it over the edge for me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I hear that and i respect that but if anything i think its sad that brawls hype and speculation was better than the game itself what can i say...sometime the build up to stuff is better than the climax which is not intended to be but yh.....**** Happenz....

My opinion ofc
Why are we bringing this back? It came and went. Shouldn't we leave it at that?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I very much doubt toots is legit. Could be but his story makes no sense. Especially picking Marth over the newcomers. That and the terrible quality photos is what takes it over the edge for me.
I do tip my hat to him for being the biggest try-hard yet though with the pictures, guess that counts for something, lol. The pictures, super safe play regarding mechanics and Adam threw me over the edge personally. It also didn't help that he was very vague regarding Dixie... I mean, ****, if I was given the opportunity to go in and see Smash, I think I would remember every new aspect and little detail I had seen. His description of Dixie however is something that anyone who played DKC2 could have guessed, that being that Dixie's hair (hair copter and hair grab if you will) would be a part of her set

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I honestly don't think so. Unless Nintendo has something in their direct to save them they have to get this out ASAP. As insulting as this sounds, Hyrule Warriors really does show how much panic Nintendo is in from lack of titles right now (It's clearly a desperate attempt at a distraction title). Just hope for version updates.

Anyway, back to Toots. If that's the person's photobucket, I'm pretty sure the roster leak is fake. Don't know how they got the images, but looking at the Animal Crossing website that the account is tied to (if they are the same person) it's seems that poster is very active on the board (over 5,000 posts and still active) , yet makes no mention of a trip to Japan or Namdai offices despite having posting activity on the day he was at the offices. There are some other things I could bring up, but there's really no point I guess.

To be honest, I wish that Yusuke guy would just AIM ChaosZero and have him tell us which ones for sure are fake and not comment about anything else. Also wish someone would just leak everything. There are TOO many this time around and it's actually pretty boring at this point. It be more entertaining getting the roster, watching the breakdowns/joy than pulling hair out and doing detective work.
Yeah, if they were really smart. But I don't think they are. Also, I don't think they can just say "Sakurai, make this game come out in the spring."

And even if they do announce it for spring, I bet they will just do that as a stop gap, and then delay it once it gets closer to spring. Just look at their production history for reference. I would LOVE it to come out in spring, just don't think it's realistic :/

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
After years of no representation, we get some new guy from other m, instead of a villain who actually matters to the series.

I personally am not the type to get mad, I happen to love superior spiderman and mega mewtwo y, but I can understand why many fans would

i love metroid, and i know adam from metroid fusion series, where samus thinks the computer that talks to her is adam. you never saw adam before that games release as far as i know and he was revealed to us in metroid other m (which i havent played) which timewise in the metroid universe happened before fusion. so we now know how he looks and what his bond with samus is.

i don't think adam would be great asset i cant really imagine a moveset for him as he doesnt really do anything.
also even though i love metroid i personaly aint even considering ridley in the roster, it makes no sense to me ither it blows my mind trying to imagine him as a playable character unless they call it baby ridley or something.
I do;t think the metroid series has much acces for difrent characers if it isnt another bounty hunter.
i think syllux made the most entrances in the metroid games so my vote would go to him.

ps; i am sceptical on leaks anyway and wont believe anything untill confirmed/game on my lap

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Any leak that came after Rosalina and Luma, I disregard. So far. One month after her reveal and suddenly everyone knows at least ten newcomers (one of which is Rosalina and Luma). Why did they not release this information before her reveal?

If any rumor did include her before the reveal, that rumor should be reposted and we should study it.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Funny how the "Namco trip leaker" played with Rosalina, a newcomer whose moveset we already know everything about.

If I was in that position, I'd play as Isaac or Adam just to see how they work.

Also... if Adam or Anthony from Other M are playable, I will cut a *****.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
The biggest thing I got out of the Namco leak was that the Namco employees work in a nice office building :p

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Funny how the "Namco trip leaker" played with Rosalina, a newcomer whose moveset we already know everything about.

If I was in that position, I'd play as Isaac or Adam just to see how they work.

Also... if Adam or Anthony from Other M are playable, I will cut a *****.
That is a good point.

Kor of Memory

Smash Rookie
Alright Gents, here is my go at it (read for enjoyment only).

Roster tops out at 44

5 Mushroom Kingdom Reps: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Bowser
3 DK Reps: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong
4 Zelda Reps: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link
3 Kirby Reps: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
5 Pokemon Reps: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Sylveon
3 Starfox Reps: Fox, Falco, Wolf
2 Fire Emblem Reps: Marth, Ike
2 Kid Icarus Reps: Pit, Palutena
2 Metriod Reps: Samus, Dark Samus
2 Mother Reps: Ness, Lucas
3 Hardware Reps: Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Wii Fit Trainer
2 3rd Party Reps: Sonic, Mega Man
8 Misc Reps: Capt Falcon, Ice Climbers, Lark, Little Mac, Olimar, Villager, Wario, Yoshi

Missing/Cut: Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, Snake

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Also, does no one else find it extremely odd that two 2-minute matches allowed him to obtain ALL that item info? Granted the items occurrence could be turned up for debugging. I remember playing Melee via demo when it first came out and was so overwhelmed that I couldn't remember as much as the "leaker" claims to. There is just no way.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Well actually I liked most of the 'Trip to Namco Leak', even Adam.
I 'd really love someone from Other M instead of friggin' Ridley, I mean he's a big character...literally. He should remain as a boss or as a stage hazard but definitely not as a playable character.
I think it would be better to have Anthony, I mean c'mon he's a galactic federation black guy with a freeze gun and a unique taunt! ('Remember me?')

But whatever, I'm so hoping either the Translator Leak or the Trip To Namco Leak to be real

Toots

Smash Rookie
Yeah I was lying to y'all.
I never visited Namco...yet.
I was having a little fun..
I was actually at Apex last Friday, so I couldn't be in Tokyo!
Although the amount of work you guys put into it makes me feel like I was successful with stirring up something.
I do have another Smashboards account, and some of you know probably know the name.

The reason I made the thread was to have a little fun. Also to stir up my girlfriend who reads leaks on this website and basically believes all of them. So I made another account and had a ball. But I also wanted to make the leak believable. I decided to not include when the game would be released and held back on modes, announcement dates, etc.
A lot of you believed it, so I think I was pretty successful. Those other threads mocking me made me lol as well.
I think its funny of how much you guys praised me on it, though. It only took me 20 minutes to write it!

These images of Namco come from the "Tekken Takes Tokyo" documentary. Yup, that actually is Namco's HQ. Look it up on YouTube.

Sorry! My girlfriend thought it was funny though! I didn't tell her until she sent me a text saying I was Toots! Ah me...

On an off topic, I am going to Tokyo in about a month for work. I'll see if I can get into Namco!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ T Toots
I'm glad you admit it, instead of other fake leakers. It's pretty funny looking back, since you got so many people to talk about it.
I was just going to ask on this thread why everyone believed it for some reason, since you really didn't have much evidence (not even a picture :p).

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Although the amount of work you guys put into it makes me feel like I was successful with stirring up something.
I do have another Smashboards account, and some of you know probably know the name.

The reason I made the thread was to have a little fun. Also to stir up my girlfriend who reads leaks on this website and basically believes all of them. So I made another account and had a ball. But I also wanted to make the leak believable. I decided to not include when the game would be released and held back on modes, announcement dates, etc.
A lot of you believed it, so I think I was pretty successful. Those other threads mocking me made me lol as well.
I think its funny of how much you guys praised me on it, though. It only took me 20 minutes to write it!

These images of Namco come from the "Tekken Takes Tokyo" documentary. Yup, that actually is Namco's HQ. Look it up on YouTube.

Sorry! My girlfriend thought it was funny though! I didn't tell her until she sent me a text saying I was Toots! Ah me...

On an off topic, I am going to Tokyo in about a month for work. I'll see if I can get into Namco!
Yeah, **** gets pretty real when people stalk the **** out of your Facebook profile, huh?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You know... I know this thread just got stickied and all, but I really think it's leading people to be stupid and make fake leaks, which just wastes everybody's time.

I'm not saying the leaks wouldn't be posted elsewhere if we didn't have this thread. I just wish people would stop being dumb and allow us to weed out the BS.

in other news... we often look back and make fun of past communities who just disputed all leaks no matter what... and now I kind of understand why we did.. It's just easier to take everything with about 100 grains of salt than have to disprove every. single. "leak".

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I personally would've started with Marth if given the chance, to see what all has changed with him. Then i'd probably go mega man and then rosalina

edit: You guys realize that a completely legit brawl leak was tossed aside because people didn't think ROB would be in the roster? Don't toss rumors aside because of characters, even though this one didn't prove my point well.

edit edit: i don't know why there are bairs on this post

Attachments

Last edited:

Toots

Smash Rookie
@ T Toots
I'm glad you admit it, instead of other fake leakers. It's pretty funny looking back, since you got so many people to talk about it.
I was just going to ask on this thread why everyone believed it for some reason, since you really didn't have much evidence (not even a picture :p).
I was planning on admitting it, depending on what the reaction was.
Once I saw people going wild about it I thought I was being mean, so I came clean.

Yeah, **** gets pretty real when people stalk the **** out of your Facebook profile, huh?
I actually don't mind. I don't share anything important on Facebook other than my career. I also only add people I've met in person. I'm a guy who reads the terms and agreements, so if you want my profile picture, it's all yours.
ACTUALLY. I don't work at Open Road anymore. I should update that. Thanks for reminding me...

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I hope krystal is playable in smash 4
in smash 64, we got fox
in smash melee, we got falco,
in smash brawl, we got wolf
in smash 4, keeping up with the trend, ADD KRYSTAL
(and also add palutena chrom (don't cut ike), miis, and the like)
Miis are stupid.
Star Fox is a dead franchise that doesn't deserve 3 reps let alone 4.

Toots

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJEeiUHwX8
That's the video I took the pictures from, specifically 3:10, 1:43 and 00:46

I was watching it because I'm very excited about my trip to Tokyo next month. It's a business trip, but I hope to get some free time and hit up some spots he showcased.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
What is the point of making fake leaks and then admitting it? What is wrong with you people? What a waste of time

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I want to believe any roster that has King K. Rool in it. I want him in there so effing bad, especially after 5 years of negligence on Nintendo's part. :(

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
Illiterate leak #2 is fake.
This is what they stated:

"i'm not going to bother with how i know this but to prove i'm legit captain falcon will be announced on the 21st,"

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Miis are stupid.
Star Fox is a dead franchise that doesn't deserve 3 reps let alone 4.
Honestly, while I don't care about Mii's, I think I have an idea that may be a bit more tolerable:

How 'bout this... We get Mii as a character, though it's a character in of itself.
No customization, no using your own Mii's, just a character like everyone else, with it's attacks being a mishmash from Mii games.
It's normal look will be of the "generic Mii", or:
And it's pallet swaps would be the "guest Miis".
That way fans will get their character, but it'll be more tolerable.

Morbi

Scavenger

The first leak I fell for... :sadeyes:

Still I have to commend the leak. It didn't really have any of the tell-tale BS and you actually incorporated elements that portrayed a sense of realism (like only being able to play 2 matches at default). Some people leak the entire roster (which is automatically fallacious). It really came off as though you were attempting to recall everything and you gave lots of specifics like voice-clips and whatnot. The Oshawatt part was what really sold me though, I thought that someone trying to convince everyone that they actually play-tested a game would at the very least not mess up a Pokemon's name. It was the passive and care-free attitude that (made me think) you were actually alluding to something that actually happened. In any event, I am not going to fall for any more leaks until about a month before the game is released. Haha.

You got me good. ;)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord

YOU SO HAD ME BELIEVING IT.

Well played, sir.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I'd take summer at latest
You're probably gonna be disappointed. I'm expecting late Fall or around Christmas time.And dammit all these exciting things hppen while I'm in school! Like 5 leaks got debunked by this time! I just got done reading all the pages I've missed :p

Fortanono

Smash Ace

If you do go, make sure Victini is on the roster! Oh, and if he's a Mew-like Pokéball, tell them to change him to Meloetta so he can be in!

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Thanks for confirming the fake. The people believing it made me facepalm so much my forehead was sore.

And hey, at least we dodged the bullet on Adam, amirite guys? :p

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
What is the point of making fake leaks and then admitting it? What is wrong with you people? What a waste of time
Because people on a forum dedicated to a game that may not come out for almost a year clearly have no time to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom