• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
He never stated, it was just in the character data, she was low priority. I could give you a priority list but I can't seem to find it.
I just find this hard to believe. Especially this this quote is floating around.

Sakurai said:
Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, If that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The bolded is unlikely. You can't depend on past unlockable status to define whether or not they will be unlockable in the new Smash Bros. That also has no bearing on whether they will be announced before or after release.

Luigi > Unlockable in SSB64/Melee/Brawl
Marth > Unlockable in Melee/Brawl
Young Link/Toon Link Unlockable in Melee/Brawl
Lucario > Unlockable in Brawl
Sonic > Unlockable in Brawl

All of these characters have already been revealed for the Wii U and these are the ones that are unlockables from past games. We know how much Sakurai hates spoilers. He insists on completely changing the Wii U's single player because people spoiled the SSE cinematic character intros. Also, if you remember all of these characters were shown on the DOJO but they were in a spoiler section with each character being named "hidden_XX in the URL. So it's quite clear Sakurai has taken a different route. There may not even be unlockable characters in Smash 4. At least not like we know. It's possible that this time around only retro newcomers are unlockables, or 3rd party newcomers. It would be a great way to surprise players.
I'd like to add that Ness and Captain Falcon were unlockable in 64 and Brawl, but not in Melee.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It could be either:

a) The characters shown are all starters (which isn't likely).
b) There won't be any unlockables.
c) There are unlockables but Sakurai doesn't care about keeping them secret.

I think c is the safest bet.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
It could be either:

Or like I and Frost pointed out, he's changing who is and who isn't an unlockable character. Ness and C.Falcon might be pointing to A.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It could be either:

I see A and B as kinda saying the same thing, or at least saying similar things, but yeah, C is probably the safest bet. :laugh:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just find this hard to believe. Especially this this quote is floating around.
The thing is he's still working with limited time and resources and no matter how he feels about that, some characters will not make it due to that being relegated to other characters, stages and the like. Mewtwo had to deal with it back in Brawl and it could happen again.

Having said that, even though Jigglypuff may be low priority again (at least, more then the other Pokémon cast members) I don't think she'll get cut.

Or like I and Frost pointed out, he's changing who is and who isn't an unlockable character. Ness and C.Falcon might be pointing to A.
I doubt that, 5 starter Mario characters is pretty off even if we assume they get another newcomer. I think it's C and he's just revealing some of the unlockables.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That's possible too. Though unless the roster is as massive as many are hoping I can't see the starting selection being much more over the current 22.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

If I remember correctly inside the Data of the Brawl characters every character is ordered alphabetically except for 10.

Jigglypuff
Wolf
Toon Link

+ the Forbidden 7 which did not make it into the game but have traces of data left on the disc

This suggest that these 10 characters were worked on last (since they are not ordered). Also another solid proof is the fact that the 3 characters that did make it in (Jiggs, Wolf and TLink) are the only 3 characters that are not part of the SSE which means they were probably added after the SSE was finished.

Basically Jiggs was the 36th most important character out of 39 that were included in Brawl (since Sonic was a last minute addition).

This makes her almost bottom priority basically.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If I remember correctly inside the Data of the Brawl characters every character is ordered alphabetically except for 10.

Jigglypuff
Wolf
Toon Link

+ the Forbidden 7 which did not make it into the game but have traces of data left on the disc

This suggest that these 10 characters were worked on last (since they are not ordered). Also another solid proof is the fact that the 3 characters that did make it in (Jiggs, Wolf and TLink) are the only 3 characters that are not part of the SSE which means they were probably added after the SSE was finished.

Basically Jiggs was the 36th most important character out of 39 that were included in Brawl (since Sonic was a last minute addition).
And because of that, Jiggs has the best chance of getting cut.
That's ridiculous. Especially with Toon Link around. Who was apparently "low priority".

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
And because of that, Jiggs has the best chance of getting cut.
That's ridiculous. Especially with Toon Link around. Who was apparently "low priority".
I didn't claim she had a chance to be cut. I was merely explaining why it is said she was low priority in Brawl.

Smash 4 isn't Brawl. For all we know Jiggs was the 1st character to be worked on.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I didn't claim she had a chance to be cut. I was merely explaining why it is said she was low priority in Brawl.

Smash 4 isn't Brawl. For all we know Jiggs was the 1st character to be worked on.
And that's what I've been explaining to everyone.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Also, while not set in stone, there is the possibility that Brawl didn't have the luxury of: DLC.

Yes, we know the potential evils of such a concept (though Nintendo so far has done a good job of how they handle it compared to other companies) and that Sakurai wants the game to be 100% complete, but chances are, especially with Nintendo undoubtedly holding him to that 2014 launch window, he won't have enough time and/or resources to get absolutely everything he wants in the game, characters or otherwise.

Not to mention Sakurai has stated that patches will be provided should something pop up, so clearly there is updating systems on the mind. It'd also give a shot for the more unlikely characters, like Roy for example, to have a second chance should they not make it to the finished product.

But then there is the problem of complaints from people who don't have DLC characters or what have you fighting against those who do online, so it's a double-edged sword to be certain.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
And that's what I've been explaining to everyone.
Mewtwo was planned for Brawl (one of the 7 characters that did not make it into the game) but was apparently lower than Jiggs in the priority list.

I would expect that Sakurai has learned from his mistakes and made Mewtwo a high priority this game .

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This is foolishness though, new characters probably have the highest priority over anyone.
With unique characters being main focus this time, I think it's pretty clear they are not going to be bottom priority.
I think the semi-clones will be low priority this time around, unless they have something going for them like Wind Waker advertisement or something.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I still would like to ask why everyone assumes that R.O.B. is getting cut.

Look just because he "ruined" your precious roster doesn't make him high priority of getting cut.

I mean Toon Link? Already confirmed. Practically thought to be dead in the water. If he made it back? Then you can bet a unique playstyle like R.O.B.'s is coming back.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master

Look just because he "ruined" your precious doesn't make him high priority of getting cut.

I mean Toon Link? Already confirmed. Practically thought to be dead in the water. If he made it back? Then you can bet a unique playstyle like R.O.B.'s is coming back.
I am not worried in the slightest about ROB returning. Plus, he's one of my favorites. ^^ And he's the only robot character. Etc etc. I do not, however, like his Final Smash that much. It feels so... puny, compared to most others. D:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
This is foolishness though, new characters probably have the highest priority over anyone.
Not over Mario or Sonic or Pikachu or Fox or.... :x

Seriously that talk about priority is a wast of time without confidencial information about the development.

How many time you think that they need to make a veteran char/newcomer? As exemple Killer Instinct team need 3 moths for a char...but they don´t have a prior usable engine and a smaller team.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Look just because he "ruined" your precious doesn't make him high priority of getting cut.
What do you mean? I want ROB to come back. I'm planning on maining him along with Ice Climbers and
Mr. G&W.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Not over Mario or Sonic or Pikachu or Fox or.... :x

Seriously that talk about priority is a wast of time without confidencial information about the development.

How many time you think that they need to make a veteran char/newcomer? As exemple Killer Instinct team need 3 moths for a char...but they don´t have a prior usable engine and a smaller team.
No matter how you look at it, newcomers MUST take priority. You have to conceptualize them, go through music, source material etc.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Do you guys think that Rosalina might've been one of the last newcomers worked on? Hence her lack of VA in her trailer? Or do you simply think she's getting another new voice actress since she's been rotating them in the past few games she's been in?

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
No matter how you look at it, newcomers MUST take priority. You have to conceptualize them, go through music, source material etc.
They don´t start testing the engine and coding with a newcomer, I will tell that.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Do you guys think that Rosalina might've been one of the last newcomers worked on? Hence her lack of VA in her trailer? Or do you simply think she's getting another new voice actress since she's been rotating them in the past few games she's been in?
Or, it could be she doesn't have much of a voice. She is a Mario character, after all.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
The thing is he's still working with limited time and resources and no matter how he feels about that, some characters will not make it due to that being relegated to other characters, stages and the like. Mewtwo had to deal with it back in Brawl and it could happen again.

Having said that, even though Jigglypuff may be low priority again (at least, more then the other Pokémon cast members) I don't think she'll get cut.

I doubt that, 5 starter Mario characters is pretty off even if we assume they get another newcomer. I think it's C and he's just revealing some of the unlockables.
But like I said earlier there's the possibility of only retro newcomers being unlockables or some other subset(s) of the roster. Secondly why would he reveal the unlockable characters without spoiler notifications like he did with the DOJO? Again, we know how much Sakurai hates spoiling the game for players. So if he was revealing unlockables he'd put them in a separate section of the website warning people like he did with Brawl.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
No I don't really think so. Heck, the characters that have been confirmed either don't have a voice actor as well or just temporarily recycles Brawl's voice clips (when Brawl was first revealed, the veterans were using their Melee voice clips until later.).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But like I said earlier there's the possibility of only retro newcomers being unlockables or some other subset(s) of the roster. Secondly why would he reveal the unlockable characters without spoiler notifications like he did with the DOJO? Again, we know how much Sakurai hates spoiling the game for players. So if he was revealing unlockables he'd put them in a separate section of the website warning people like he did with Brawl.
Because he put them in after the game was released. Not before.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Well, voices and sound effects are usually worked on pretty late. You Heard it in Brawl, and you've Heard generic-sounding effects in Smash 4 videos already. ^^ Rosalina will have a voice. Though, don't expect her to talk much.

Also, this being the Rumor thread, any recent rumors? And that Falco pic, did I see someone say it's been confirmed fake?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Actually now that you mention it, besides WFT we haven't heard any voices, at least not to my memory.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, voices and sound effects are usually worked on pretty late. You Heard it in Brawl, and you've Heard generic-sounding effects in Smash 4 videos already. ^^ Rosalina will have a voice. Though, don't expect her to talk much.

Also, this being the Rumor thread, any recent rumors? And that Falco pic, did I see someone say it's been confirmed fake?
It has.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

Look just because he "ruined" your precious roster doesn't make him high priority of getting cut.

On the other hand, I never understood the assumption that Toon Link was going to be cut. I wouldn't have said he was a sure-fire character, but I most certainly thought he was a character that deserved to return (The 'toon' side of the Zelda series most certainly hasn't died since the release of Brawl).

(Unless you're referring to the stage being shown with Toon Link as a stage character, although I recall people dead-set on him not returning before that, which I found absolutely absurd).

Lucario is the one that really threw me for a loop, but I guess he had reason to return too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think it's because the focus of her trailer was Kirby and Luma.

(Did Villager or Megaman talk even? I know Wii Fit did, but I just presumed most the time for cutscenes they prefer them silent; hence the lack of discussion in SSE)

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
Also, while not set in stone, there is the possibility that Brawl didn't have the luxury of: DLC.

Yes, we know the potential evils of such a concept (though Nintendo so far has done a good job of how they handle it compared to other companies) and that Sakurai wants the game to be 100% complete, but chances are, especially with Nintendo undoubtedly holding him to that 2014 launch window, he won't have enough time and/or resources to get absolutely everything he wants in the game, characters or otherwise.

Not to mention Sakurai has stated that patches will be provided should something pop up, so clearly there is updating systems on the mind. It'd also give a shot for the more unlikely characters, like Roy for example, to have a second chance should they not make it to the finished product.

But then there is the problem of complaints from people who don't have DLC characters or what have you fighting against those who do online, so it's a double-edged sword to be certain.

I agree with most of this except that last line. Some clarification: you cannot play against characters online that you have not downloaded yourself. Most games that have DLC characters simply only match together players that have the same DLC. Your game is not going to be able to display content that it doesn't even have.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I agree with most of this except that last line. Some clarification: you cannot play against characters online that you have not downloaded yourself. Most games that have DLC characters simply only match together players that have the same DLC. Your game is not going to be able to display content that it doesn't even have.
I see. Disregard that last part then.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
On the other hand, I never understood the assumption that Toon Link was going to be cut. I wouldn't have said he was a sure-fire character, but I most certainly thought he was a character that deserved to return (The 'toon' side of the Zelda series most certainly hasn't died since the release of Brawl).

(Unless you're referring to the stage being shown with Toon Link as a stage character, although I recall people dead-set on him not returning before that, which I found absolutely absurd).

Lucario is the one that really threw me for a loop, but I guess he had reason to return too.
I don't understand, I don't really care if Toon Link is in, but I don't see HOW you can question Lucario's return. Toon Link is clone, that is why people targeted him.

peachy!

super princess
Actually, in PlayStation All-Stars, DLC content is available for online matches. You can use the downloadable characters even if you have not purchased them, and there’s a chance you end up playing in a DLC stage, too. That could be done for Smash as well.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay, 23 pages, 911+ posts, and 50+ people watching the thread. Did I miss a really important/interesting leak/rumor? Or is it all just discussion for the most part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom