• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4: Custom Moves Tourney Legal? Poll & Discuss

What action should be taken for a Sm4sh tourney?

• Turn custom off (no mii fighters)

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • Turn custom off (mii fighters allowed standard specials)

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • Turn custom on (all allowed)

Votes: 89 38.2%
  • Only custom specials allowed

Votes: 116 49.8%

• Total voters

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Have you looked into Ampharos's custom move project at all? Not as difficult as you make it out to be.
No, because tourney-day logistics aren't the only issue with this. I have a fundamental problem with standardizing custom moves at nationals because they represent too much of a disconnect between the tourneygoers and the spectators. If I'm playing Smash 4 with my neighbor's kid, I want to be able to say "this is exactly the same as it is on the streams you watch" and not "well, if you had spent hundreds of hours unlocking custom moves until you got this one you see on stream"...

The huge barrier to a casual accessing the same tools doesn't sit well with me. Spectatorship is a part of our national scene whether you like it or not, and ruleset changes ought to reflect what we deem to be in the best interests of not only game balance, but the health of the community. Custom moves won't catch on in the grand scheme of things because of this barrier that I've described, no matter how easy it is to implement at tourneys. Its format will be relegated to side event status at best.

Frojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JothWarr
3DS FC
2595-1107-7448
No, because tourney-day logistics aren't the only issue with this. I have a fundamental problem with standardizing custom moves at nationals because they represent too much of a disconnect between the tourneygoers and the spectators. If I'm playing Smash 4 with my neighbor's kid, I want to be able to say "this is exactly the same as it is on the streams you watch" and not "well, if you had spent hundreds of hours unlocking custom moves until you got this one you see on stream"...

The huge barrier to a casual accessing the same tools doesn't sit well with me. Spectatorship is a part of our national scene whether you like it or not, and ruleset changes ought to reflect what we deem to be in the best interests of not only game balance, but the health of the community. Custom moves won't catch on in the grand scheme of things because of this barrier that I've described, no matter how easy it is to implement at tourneys. Its format will be relegated to side event status at best.
I think it might be a bigger barrier to entry, telling that kid that he's not allowed to use the moves he unlocked and uses while playing at home because they aren't available on every setup. Also, I feel like spectatorship would actually benefit from the variety that custom moves could bring. It's fun seeing different players use the same character in different styles, and custom moves have the ability to take this one step further. With the Standard Custom Moveset project, I think allowing custom moves is a lot more reasonable and manageable than a lot of people think.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I also feel it necessary to re-mention that, at every single tournament attendance, it is ridiculously likely that at least one person owns a 3DS with all custom moves, thereby allowing everyone without access to utilize them in competitive play.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I think only custom specials should be allowed, but no custom equipment for obvious reasons. Custom specials, however, add extra depth to the game; certain specials would be more advantageous against certain characters, and that's a pretty good thing.
At the very least, Mii fighters should be allowed. They're their own fighters with their own movesets, and while unpopular, people WILL want to main them.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I clicked the wrong box. :c

Equipment is too unbalanced. Custom Specials only is the best way to have variety and keep the game balanced. I would even argue that Custom Specials improve the game's balance.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman

That has to be the stupidest reason to not want Custom legal.

Of all the things to teach a kid for him to be able to learn how to be as good as a pro, telling him how to set custom might be one of the easiest thing.

Also, "I don't want pro to use custom because then I couldn't explain it my kid" Is a ridiculous reason in itself. It's like saying, I don't want the MBL to allow curves ball because it's way to hard to explain to a kid how to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom